The D5-Mantis Sucks

Nimmuz

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fury looks like the bastard child of the millenium falcon and the TIE advanced vader flies around in. The imperial agents is supposed to look like a luxury class ship but i still felt let down flying around in it....

Mantis is a real ship, the kind where as you fly into the middle of a million enemy ships you strap on some aviator goggles and start singing "Flight of the Valkeryias". besides you wouldnt notice if someone shot you anyways, the rust keeps the blaster marks from showing.

*turns the volume of the stereo 8 track in the mantis to 11 with flight of the valkeries in the deck* time to pwn some nub.

Here it is, one of two gripes I have about my 39 Powertech. This ship looks like a trash can knocked on its side. Tip it upright, have it say "exterminate, exterminate," and you have a 60s Dalek.

(The other is the story: it completely lost its way, and my BH's IQ dropped 50 pts, since Chapter I.)

I love it. It vaguely reminds me of the Serenity. The paint job ain't perfect, it looks like its been through its ups and downs. It's got a personality to it. It's roomy where it needs to be. The two-floors bit works wonderfully. I went in thinking I would dislike it, but I ended up loving every bit of it.

And to be frank, the Thunderclap is the ugliest ship out all 6 ships. Poor Troopers.

Just a quick thing here but to the people saying its a Rust Bucket/Old Ship/Not top of the line. Have you read the codex entry?

Its a best in class ship that didn't get widespread usage because of the cost.

Also the Trooper ship is way more Fugly than the BH ship lol

(But my Jedi Ship owns them both :p)

Edited by CptBrit

I dont like the (3) retractable wing engines. As soon as we can MOD the appearance of our ships those are the first to go, or let me steal another ship. I also dont like climbing stairs to get to the cockpit - you call that practical? efficient? I'd say I stole a rusted out AMC gremlin with a supercharged 401. Yea its fast and has a hatchback - but it looks stupid, handles for s**t, bad on gas, and it would cost a fortune to fix up cuz u cant find parts ;) lol

I think its funny you brought up AMC in a game a lot of younger people play and I am sure soem of them were scratching thier heads over the comment. I am willing to bet alot of them do not know it was later transformed into Jeep and ended up being bought out by Chrysler. I loved the comment it was a great laugh first thing in the morning.

I like it! Not only does it have that Slave I/Firefly feel to it, which is pretty appropriate for how my character is playing out, but the crappy interior adds yet another layer of mystery to that age old question: What the hell to Bounty Hunters spend their money on? :D

I tought this was the most reasonable place to post this.

Im a powertech and I really love this class and want to have this class for my main, but one thing bothers me, the D5-Mantis! I hate it, its small compared to the Fury and other ships, the painting is horrible and it feels old and rusty, your ship should be your "home away from home" not a place you must go to because you most go to the next planet. They made every other ship cool and fresh exept this one, BioWare should had made it possible to choose your own ship or atleast the apparence, now its just a pile of junk with a engine.

This is my own oppinion and wanted to see if other bounty hunters shared same opinion.

I love it, it reminds me of the Serenity from Firefly.

It's ugly, but it's small and layed out well. I really dislike running around in this game so a spacious ship only irritates me even if it's just several more steps (which adds up). They shoulda made the level 50 speeder a two seater so I can have a companion out without getting off the speeder.

I love the Mantis. Like everyone else said-- Slave I + Serenity = Mantis. Small and compact. I know where everything is. I actually like the exterior and interior color schemes. They are earthy / organic type colors.. Yellow lighting-- well, maybe get some neutral flourescents in there or something. ;)

My opinions on the other ships:

Smuggler - Watch some Youtube vids showing the Smuggler running in infinite circles trying to find the correct room. That thing looks like a smashed donut dipped in metal.

Fury- narrow halls with low ceilings. You feel claustrophobic. Outside appearance is nice.

Trooper - horrible mess of a ship inside and out.

Agent- amazing on the outside, engine room is freakin cool.. but the interior layout is not good - like the worst floorplan from a crappy home builder.

Jedi- It's nice. I can't really knock it. But the interior design is way too "happy".. like an elementary school or something.

The coolest colors on the "good" side were Grey and Orange - rebel episode IV colors. Everything else just looked silly.

It's small because a BH uses a ship that suits their purposes, not one that's a flying hotel suite

It looks like crap because flashy = noticed = prison or death

Also, you stole it. Everyone else has their ship given to them

Think about the entire story and purpose of the Bounty Hunter. The Mantis fits them perfectly. And if you want to get really down to it, loot at the Fett ship... it was small, mobile, ugly as crap and used by both father and son

It's small because a BH uses a ship that suits their purposes, not one that's a flying hotel suite

It looks like crap because flashy = noticed = prison or death

Also, you stole it. Everyone else has their ship given to them

Think about the entire story and purpose of the Bounty Hunter. The Mantis fits them perfectly. And if you want to get really down to it, loot at the Fett ship... it was small, mobile, ugly as crap and used by both father and son

It looks like a Winnebago or the VW bug of the galaxy. Maybe I want flashy. I was thinking more of the "I have credits and want to show off, bring chicks back to the ship, pimped out, drinking, Barney from How I Met Your Mother bounty hunter. :)

...and not the "I just left my mom's basement and this was all I could afford bounty hunter"

Edited by Baracca

While I do like the ship and think it fits the class, I'm sure they will add in the ability to customize it or even change it in time. The last time I played in beta there was no imperial fleet and my lvl 20 pvp pants were bright pink with the word "default" written on it. They slapped together alot at the last min to ship this game. All their patches for a while will be bug fixes. Once they fix what is already in the game, then we will see new stuff added.

i just want to put things in it like you could in your house in FFXI or in the captains cabin in Mass Effect.

I like it! Not only does it have that Slave I/Firefly feel to it, which is pretty appropriate for how my character is playing out, but the crappy interior adds yet another layer of mystery to that age old question: What the hell to Bounty Hunters spend their money on? :D

Missiles. Lots and lots of missiles. :cool:

what they should do is, at some point, a story where your ship gets robbed. all your beds and other crap is gone. then you either buy, craft, or find new tables, chairs, beds, wall paint, trophies etc...

i want one of those 3d holo chess boards

Edited by Baracca

I have to admit that this thread has made my morning at work today!

I freaking love this heap! It's so hilarious to me. All I do in space missions is mash my spacebar repeatedly, grinning ear to ear, while imagining my silly droid clanking off the walls, saying something to the effect of "Master, you are aware that it is forbidden to pilot while under the influence of substances banned by the imperium".

I pound beers while playing this game, seems to make it that much more enjoyable =D

idk I kind of agree with the OP. I'm not a fan of the ship and the comments make sense but I mean if I was to steal a ship I'd go for a sleek bad-*** looking one like the Consular ship (my fave btw).

But meh, I'm hoping later on we can buy a new ship in a future patch or expansion.

It's a functional piece of junk, that's the best way I can describe it. I don't like the hoopty either.

^^^This.

It does remind me of Serenity's Firefly class from the series by that name, and so far I like it better than my Assassin's Fury or my Agent's Phantom (I've only gotten my smuggler to level 12).