7.5 hutta graphics update - visibility concerns

Vulkk has an update on the 7.5 livestream

https://vulkk.com/2024/05/01/swtor-7-5-announced-new-story-and-spring-event-new-hutta-area-and-new-companion/

part of it is showing comparions of the current hutta, and the upcoming graphics update

I realize it's not final, but from what's shown we're losing colour and clarity in favour of a hazy filter.  For ... atmospheric reasons?

I'll reserve judgement until after the update goes live, but seeing how the horrible fuzzy grass on Voss is still there, I'm thinking that, like Voss, the update will actually be a downgrade, not an upgrade.

I don't know what's involved behind the scenes with these graphics updates, but if it is possible could we please have an option to keep the old look, or have a setting for clarity in graphics.  There used to be a setting in graphics for 'very low shaders' that fixed a lot of visibility issues, but that was removed a while ago and never replaced with anything similar to make the game look brighter and clearer.

This is not new areas of the game, this is messing up the old Vanilla game, and potentially making it worse (like Voss).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, it definitely looks different than before. It's not just a graphics update. It's a change in theme/tone as well. It looks like they went with a more realistic swamp look for the new graphics whereas the old graphics had lots of bright yellow everywhere. I knew immediately that a lot of people are going to be unhappy with this. The difference between the new and old look is bigger than the Voss change was. There is still time for adjustments during PTS though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I actually like the color palette palate a lot more. The improvements to the trees and atmosphere though do make the planet appear a bit "spooky", which kind of changes the feel of the planet. It's less toxic and more gloomy.

Some areas on Hutta right now already have a foggy haze. It's not the same bridge, but both of these areas are "Before" shots. The top is from Broadsword's live stream, the bottom is one I took from my laptop I took yesterday. There's no fog effect at the first bridge

1000001755.thumb.jpg.08083119202a52f0909670b415f58d59.jpg

As someone who does dailies all day everyday, I wish for them to continue modernizing and remastering all of the OG planets. Increase the rain and lightning for Dromund Kaas at least. Hoth is in dire need of a revamp. Of course, they likely won't. Places like Hutta are an exception as they are using the same assets for the new story. By improving the assets to look good for the new content, the old content inherited those improvements (as stated by Eric in the live stream).

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Traceguy said:

As someone who does dailies all day everyday, I wish for them to continue modernizing and remastering all of the OG planets. Increase the rain and lightning for Dromund Kaas at least. Hoth is in dire need of a revamp. Of course, they likely won't. Places like Hutta are an exception as they are using the same assets for the new story. By improving the assets to look good for the new content, the old content inherited those improved assets (as stated by Eric in the live stream).

Unlike you I do believe that those place will also get a graphic update, just take a look at Korriban who got a new sand and better rock effect, or the waterfall on Tython. I'm sure the other planets will follow especially since many planets have assets in common with mostly colour changes, I do wish the update for Tatooine, Hoth and Illum hurry however because those big zones in one shade is a murder on my eyes. But yeah I do believe the rest will follow, I just hope we'll get character customization upgrade too because my chiss felt really cartoonish murdering slug on Korriban with Arcann next to her lol (That is something that will without a doubt take time and I wish good luck to the team for that part because they will need it with so many different appearance choices).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Traceguy said:

I actually like the color palette palate a lot more. The improvements to the trees and atmosphere though do make the planet appear a bit "spooky", which kind of changes the feel of the planet. It's less toxic and more gloomy.

Some areas on Hutta right now already have a foggy haze. It's not the same bridge, but both of these areas are "Before" shots. The top is from Broadsword's live stream, the bottom is one I took from my laptop I took yesterday. There's no fog effect at the first bridge

1000001755.thumb.jpg.08083119202a52f0909670b415f58d59.jpg

As someone who does dailies all day everyday, I wish for them to continue modernizing and remastering all of the OG planets. Increase the rain and lightning for Dromund Kaas at least. Hoth is in dire need of a revamp. Of course, they likely won't. Places like Hutta are an exception as they are using the same assets for the new story. By improving the assets to look good for the new content, the old content inherited those improvements (as stated by Eric in the live stream).

That's why there's no way to know for sure what the changes will do until I can see how it looks with  my settings on the PTS.  It's just that by the time things hit the PTS they don't get changed before they go live.  PTS is bug testing only.  I just want the dev's to realize that some players value visibility in their graphics over fancy filters, fog/smoke effects, and shadows.

That's why I want more options.  People have different ideas about what looks good.

At least single player games you can get mods for removing things like that horrible green filter they slapped on Fallout 3.

I don't want pretty, I don't want 'realistic'. I just want nice clear visuals that are easy on the eyes. 

Basically: I want the old very low shader settings back.  Did graphics look awesome with that setting?  No, but there were no dark shadows, no wonky colour filters you had to squint to see through, and everything was just plain easier to see.

It's an option I'm asking for, nothing anyone has to use unless they want to.

Edited by LD_Little_Dragon

Posted (edited)

Hutta feels off. It's like the texture quality dropped. I took a screenshot of old andnew, and it looks like the ground texture is softer, which is probably why I feel the graphics have dropped

OLD

image.thumb.jpeg.a906ea76e02d39c05ba496d343844f34.jpeg

NEW

image.thumb.jpeg.c38be6bc5b9d87406a102a3d0af8851f.jpeg

OLD

image.thumb.jpeg.bf16490bc7423fa9b3240b7f09ccd4bd.jpeg

NEW

image.thumb.jpeg.f994a9f5c78a624e68fe543f10468b6e.jpeg

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 1

I must admit I prefer the old one. I really dislike this "fog" on the new version. I hope they will come back to the old one. However I really like the update of the textures.

I hope it will be the last update for this kind of thing because planets, even the old ones, still are amazing. No need to update them. I would prefer Broadsword uses this time to make new planets.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 2:34 PM, orichichan said:

I must admit I prefer the old one. I really dislike this "fog" on the new version. I hope they will come back to the old one. However I really like the update of the textures.

I hope it will be the last update for this kind of thing because planets, even the old ones, still are amazing. No need to update them. I would prefer Broadsword uses this time to make new planets.

I agree completely.  The "updated" graphics are horrible!!  I can't imagine why anyone on the team thought this would be an improvement.  And for that matter, WHY?  Why are you guys wasting time on things like this.  I just don't get it.  The graphics in this game are just fine like they are.....can't you find something more useful to work on?

• Like 1

They're upgrading so that the game will still work in 10 years. Really? I'm not tech savvy at all but even with STEAM Jedi Academy and OG KOTOR run horribly. I love the new graphics.

On 5/3/2024 at 9:27 AM, Traceguy said:

Hutta feels off. It's like the texture quality dropped. I took a screenshot of old andnew, and it looks like the ground texture is softer, which is probably why I feel the graphics have dropped

OLD

image.thumb.jpeg.a906ea76e02d39c05ba496d343844f34.jpeg

NEW

image.thumb.jpeg.c38be6bc5b9d87406a102a3d0af8851f.jpeg

OLD

image.thumb.jpeg.bf16490bc7423fa9b3240b7f09ccd4bd.jpeg

NEW

image.thumb.jpeg.f994a9f5c78a624e68fe543f10468b6e.jpeg

The fog in the new graphic is fine, but other things just look bland. The ground is especially bad. You don't see the different rock/mud/sand in the old graphic that makes it looks like a proper messy swamp wasteland, it's just a flat uninteresting dry floor with a few isolated objects in the new graphic.

6 hours ago, eabevella said:

The fog in the new graphic is fine, but other things just look bland. The ground is especially bad. You don't see the different rock/mud/sand in the old graphic that makes it looks like a proper messy swamp wasteland, it's just a flat uninteresting dry floor with a few isolated objects in the new graphic.

I really hope they're still working on Hutta, and what we see in PTS is not final, because I'm not completely happy the changes overall.

Also, I don't know if you've seen it yet, but the sun in the skybox looks like some kind of nuclear reactor explosion. It was pretty cool on first sight, but now it feels extremely obnoxious

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JakRoanin said:

They're upgrading so that the game will still work in 10 years. Really? I'm not tech savvy at all but even with STEAM Jedi Academy and OG KOTOR run horribly. I love the new graphics.

I'm thrilled  you like the looks, although you completely ignored the point of the post.

The post was about the visibility of the new graphics not just the aesthetics.  I0 years from now my eyes will be even worse then they are now, so I won't care if the game is still running if the current trend in graphics 'updgrades' continue.

There is no reason for graphics changes to make the game harder to see, and lead to more eyestrain.  Currently the game's graphics are much harder on they eyes then when it first came out, or even just back in 6.0.  Since the dev's saw fit so remove the very low shader settings.

I fail to see why newer tech is incapable of matching the old tech for accessability.   That was a design CHOICE on the dev's part, and it was a bad one.  They removed an option that made the game much easier on the eyes, and replaced it with diddly-squat.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

I fail to see why newer tech is incapable of matching the old tech for accessability.   That was a design CHOICE on the dev's part, and it was a bad one.  They removed an option that made the game much easier on the eyes, and replaced it with diddly-squat.

Because it is. Just try to play Jedi Academy on STEAM it is a nightmare of epic proportions.

6 hours ago, Traceguy said:

I really hope they're still working on Hutta, and what we see in PTS is not final, because I'm not completely happy the changes overall.

Also, I don't know if you've seen it yet, but the sun in the skybox looks like some kind of nuclear reactor explosion. It was pretty cool on first sight, but now it feels extremely obnoxious

Didn't notice the nuclear explosion sun but now i can't unsee it: MY EYES literally lol

I guess it fits the Hutta vibe: a toxic wasteland that wants to blind you.

I do like the new tree details so hopefully the ground is wip.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JakRoanin said:

Because it is. Just try to play Jedi Academy on STEAM it is a nightmare of epic proportions.

Sounds like a Steam Overlay issue.  I bought JA from GoG during their Christmas sale and it ran just fine on an i9+RTX3060

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, xordevoreaux said:

I"m all about atmospherics and textures.  I like the changes.

Have you tried it on PTS yet? Just curious. Originally looking at the promotional video from the stream, it at looked great, and a lot of it still does, but having played it on PTS, it really feels like the overall quality of the planet has degraded. It's a lot more bland than it is currently.  All that aside from the excessively bright glowing sun that fills a good portion of the skybox.

Edited by Traceguy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Traceguy said:

Have you tried it on PTS yet? Just curious. Originally looking at the promotional video from the stream, it at looked great, and a lot of it still does, but having played it on PTS, it really feels like the overall quality of the planet has degraded. It's a lot more bland than it is currently.  All that aside from the excessively bright glowing sun that fills a good portion of the skybox.

Yes, I have, as a matter of fact, as if anyone looking at screenshots alone do not have enough legitimacy to offer adequate opinions.

First impression, besides the atmospherics which I thought are absolutely wonderful, was the dust sliding over the metal ramp down from the starting point. NICE detail.

The fact there's now something akin to high dynamic range with the sun and the sky in general, awesome. The sun shining through the tree branches, beautiful.

And there are in fact rocks and leaves and such scattered about on pathways, so it's not like players are missing out on detail. What's missing is the low-quality watercolor textures from days gone on. Can't say I'll ever miss them.

So yes. I've been out there.

Edited by xordevoreaux

6 hours ago, Traceguy said:

I took 1 more set. Oddly enough, some mountains have been removed

image.thumb.jpeg.3c029c4ea1b6b4cb7ec128b9526de26b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2ac19153a6c9fbc0d6cf357a6d398ae5.jpeg

Thanks for the screenshots.  It's pretty much what I expected.  

Same as the changes to the 7.0 UI, anytime I saw 'before' and 'after' screenshots it looked they had been switched, the downgrade was that bad in my opinion.

Still would be nice if they gave us an option to remove the fog, I'm not fond of blurry/obscured landscapes.   Or bright, blinding sun like in your other screenshots.

• Like 1

Star Wars: messing with a successful formula and bringing us unasked for and unwanted updates since 1997. Some things never change.

I wondered when I came back to the game after a little over a year off a couple of months ago why Voss didn't look as good as I remembered and why it was suddenly the laggiest planet. Only recently did I discover that it's because of this same unasked for and unwanted "upgrade" that we're now going to get to Hutta too. Sweet! Can't wait for Hutta to become practically unplayable due to lag too.

What a joke.

11 hours ago, joshuadyal said:

Star Wars: messing with a successful formula and bringing us unasked for and unwanted updates since 1997. Some things never change.

I wondered when I came back to the game after a little over a year off a couple of months ago why Voss didn't look as good as I remembered and why it was suddenly the laggiest planet. Only recently did I discover that it's because of this same unasked for and unwanted "upgrade" that we're now going to get to Hutta too. Sweet! Can't wait for Hutta to become practically unplayable due to lag too.

What a joke.

Unasked for is relative. I've been screaming to the high heavens for years for graphical improvements. It has been asked for.