Uppercase Letters In Character Names In Chat?

Devs... love your heard work on this really old, nostalgic game that we all still love and cherish...  ok that out of the way, would you PLEASE make it so that the uppercase letters we use when creating our character names are honored in the in-game chat box? I have a character named Val Dorian, but when I communicate in chat, it shows up as Val dorian. Looks so crappy. Granted, I'm a graphic designer and I'm sure there are plenty of people who could give a **** but I just feel like this was something that was overlooked. The capitalization shows up correctly everywhere else in the game, but text chat.

Please and thank you!

image.png.562c55855e79bd659d95a34d8782933e.png

Edited by coreymj
  • Like 7

Just now, coreymj said:

Devs... love your heard work on this really old, nostalgic game that we all still love and cherish...  ok that out of the way, would you PLEASE make it so that the uppercase letters we use when creating our character names are honored in the in-game chat box? I have a character named Val Dorian, but when I communicate in chat, it shows up as Val dorian. Looks so crappy. Granted, I'm a graphic designer and I'm sure there are plenty of people who could give a **** but I just feel like this was something that was overlooked. The capitalization shows up correctly everywhere else in the game, but text chat.

Please and thank you!

This has been bothering me a little too tbh

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Saeten said:

i'd rather they fix the other thousands of bugs instead of this minor annoyance. But, it's bothered me since launch, and would seem an easy fix, right?

My guess is it would take 2 minutes. lol

1 hour ago, coreymj said:

Good luck doing the code change and *all* the testing necessary in only two minutes.

Observation: I've been a professional developer, although not of games(1)(2), for more than thirty five years now.

(1) Software is software, regardless of what type of software it is, so the specific type is of no importance.

(2) At the very end of 2008, I was hunting a new job, and every single (...) recruiter I spoke to suggested a job at Eidos working on their future football(3) management simulation game.  From a technical point of view, they were correct, but Eidos was looking for intense fans of football for their team (or so said the first recruiter) and I'm not that intense.  I probably could have faked it, but ...  ...  ... Well, anyway, I'm still torn about it almost sixteen (...) years later.  I still think I should have gone for it, and that retention of wish still bothers me.  After sixteen gdmf years.

(3) Association football, sometimes called "soccer", not American football.

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, xordevoreaux said:

I disagree with Steve. I've also been mashing/manipulating text strings most of my adult life as a programmer and it isn't rocket science to icap a string.

Correct, it isn't, but two minutes is just way too short for a full develop-test-release cycle.

On 3/23/2024 at 5:00 PM, coreymj said:

On 3/24/2024 at 7:55 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

Correct, it isn't, but two minutes is just way too short for a full develop-test-release cycle.

Some languages don't make "Title Case" easy compared to others, but considering you have a screenshot where it was done correctly, they at least have an example to refer too if they don't already know.

In total, yes it's going to take them more 2 minutes. But the important thing is that this is not a bug they will have to sit down and spend countless hours troubleshooting with hundreds of test cases to try and reproduce it and figure out why it's like this and then spend more hours finding and implementing a solution to fix it without much refactoring. It's a straight forward goal to target the string printout in the chat. A goal that could be accomplished on any good Friday afternoon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Traceguy said:

A goal that could be accomplished on any good Friday afternoon.

Given the general reputation of technical (and other) work done on Friday afternoons, I'd prefer that they schedule it for a different day, e.g. Tuesday.

• Like 1

I mean, if they're going to waste time on "useless" UI changes, I'd rather they fix something that's actually not display correctly like this uppercase letter thing instead of messing with some made up imaginary issues.

10 hours ago, Jett-Rinn said:

Yeah Tao-po should be Tao-Po...

I mean it's not that difficult...

That never worked, even before they changed the rules to allow a space.  What people are most of all complaining about is how "John Doe" is shown as "John doe" in the chat window.  (Frequently stated in ways that imply (a) that it's everywhere(1) and (b) that it's impossible to play while the bug exists(2).)

But automatically selecting the post-hyphen capitalisation, whichever way it's done, is going to be wrong for some characters.  My own "Be-bop'alula"(3) should *not* automatically become "Be-Bop'alula".

(1) It's *only* in the chat window.

(2) I'm exaggerating here, but only slightly.

(3) Don't create characters while you have a brain-worm song in your head.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:56 AM, Tantala said:

If the name strings were stored capitalised, then no icap would be necessary.  Can't see why they are not stored as created.

the overriding factor that makes me think case isn't stored at all and all of these different displays are in fact different implementations of string processing is the aspect of name uniqueness

simple example, currently there can only be one Steve per server, regardless of how it's typed in the character creation name field (Steve, steve, STEVE, sTeVe)

it doesnt really surprise me that name displays in chat have minimal processing, because the chat window itself has minimal processing; the only time you don't see exactly what you type out is if you type a word that's on the game's profanity filter with said filter enabled

Could also be the procedure/subroutine/module that plots text in chat windows might be:

1. so ancient that no one currently working at Broadsword wrote it, knows how it works, or understands how it works

2. an indecipherable mess of  spaghetti code with references to other code in other routines that is too mission-critical (or equally as ancient and indecipherable) to risk touching

3. is foundational, in that it's heavily referenced in other routes for other reasons and to change it for chat windows would cause strange, unintended experiences elsewhere

4. Is unique, in that it only supports that one task, and may require some research as how it to was built back when last names were added to chat (see issue #1)

Whatever the reason, whatever the conjecture, demonstrably (i.e., Broadsword hasn't bothered replying to this thread) this change was not, is not, nor will never be a developmental priority, despite what we believe might be a small task. Happily willing to be proved wrong.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2024 at 9:54 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

But I don't.  Who takes priority?

your character creation choice...

The Title Case you made when you created your character is stored in the game. It just is not used in many places.

1. A Guild member with Firstname Lastname.
    • When you whisper them from the Guild roster, in the chat command it shows as "/whisper Firstname Lastname:"
    • When you whisper them from the general chat it comes up as "/whisper "Firstname lastname:"
  2. A Guild member with Firstname lastname.
    • When you whisper them from the Guild roster, in the chat command it shows as "/whisper Firstname lastname:"

It is stored, but not used consistently.

Something that you could call a genuine bug.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2024 at 11:55 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

Steve, I maybe wrong, so correct me if I am. 

I remember when swtor released there were no second names. So if you wanted a name that would make it look like a second name, we all had to use symbols like - ‘ , to seperate the names. But the <space> bar letter/symbol (for a better terminology) wasn’t allowed at that time, which prevented having 2 separated words in the name. And we’ve never been able to have more than one capital letter in the single word name.

ie, a name like Luke Skywalker would have to be Luke-skywalker or Luke’skywalker

Then at some point after I created this particular account in 2016 (I had 3 accounts), they added the ability to have a space between the names. Is it possible the devs at the time just took a short cut with chat database & added the <space> bar key as an allowable symbol in the name creation?

That would explain why the first letter of the second name is always a lower case letter & why it might actually be a bigger job to fix than people realise. Because as far as the chat database is concerned, it’s not 2 words making up the name, it’s actually one word with a <space> symbol being used as a letter. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

20 hours ago, FrontLineFodder said:

your character creation choice...

The Title Case you made when you created your character is stored in the game. It just is not used in many places.

1. A Guild member with Firstname Lastname.
    • When you whisper them from the Guild roster, in the chat command it shows as "/whisper Firstname Lastname:"
    • When you whisper them from the general chat it comes up as "/whisper "Firstname lastname:"
  2. A Guild member with Firstname lastname.
    • When you whisper them from the Guild roster, in the chat command it shows as "/whisper Firstname lastname:"

It is stored, but not used consistently.

Something that you could call a genuine bug.

This is an interesting point. It’s possible the Guild database system was developed after the chat database too. Which could explain the discrepancy. 
The only way to find out why this is different, would be for someone from the dev team confirming the situation.