Unable to login into SWTOR

CossackB

28 minutes ago, ThanderSnB said:

Okay, I just noticed something with the textures on the character list in 7.4.1 that's different from how it worked in 7.4 and earlier. It looks like the game is not respecting the Texture Quality setting on the character list screen. In update 7.4 and earlier, the textures on the character list would change as you change Texture Quality in the graphics options. Now in update 7.4.1, the textures on the character list are locked to the High setting no matter what you change the setting to. After a character is loaded, it does respect the Texture Quality setting and properly load the Low or Medium textures if they are selected. It's only the character list that is not working right.

This would explain why the number of characters matter as well as the type of outfits. The more characters on the list, the more textures it has to load into memory. Also, different outfits require different amounts of memory, with higher level outfits and newer outfits usually requiring more memory. When all those outfits are locked to High textures, it could easily overload the VRAM on integrated graphics. I think it's very possible that if the Texture Quality setting was working properly on the character list, the game would load fine on Low or Medium textures with Intel graphics cards. This is something the developers need to fix on their end.

@JackieKo I know you're out for the weekend, but when you get back: Is it intended that the textures are locked to High on the character list screen? This could be the source of the problem. Could you have the team look into this please?

This is what the dxdiag says:

• Display Memory: 6223 MB
  • Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
  • Shared Memory: 6095 MB

It's possible the outfits my characters are using are just not pushing it over the limit. Half the characters are level 1 with the starting gear, which is probably very low memory usage. Only half are using custom outfits, and most of them are using older outfits from Hutt Cartel or Shadows of Revan era rather than the new outfits with all the bells and whistles.

Good point!

4 hours ago, ThanderSnB said:

Okay, I just noticed something with the textures on the character list in 7.4.1 that's different from how it worked in 7.4 and earlier. It looks like the game is not respecting the Texture Quality setting on the character list screen. In update 7.4 and earlier, the textures on the character list would change as you change Texture Quality in the graphics options. Now in update 7.4.1, the textures on the character list are locked to the High setting no matter what you change the setting to. After a character is loaded, it does respect the Texture Quality setting and properly load the Low or Medium textures if they are selected. It's only the character list that is not working right.

This would explain why the number of characters matter as well as the type of outfits. The more characters on the list, the more textures it has to load into memory. Also, different outfits require different amounts of memory, with higher level outfits and newer outfits usually requiring more memory. When all those outfits are locked to High textures, it could easily overload the VRAM on integrated graphics. I think it's very possible that if the Texture Quality setting was working properly on the character list, the game would load fine on Low or Medium textures with Intel graphics cards. This is something the developers need to fix on their end.

@JackieKo I know you're out for the weekend, but when you get back: Is it intended that the textures are locked to High on the character list screen? This could be the source of the problem. Could you have the team look into this please?

This is what the dxdiag says:

• Display Memory: 6223 MB
  • Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
  • Shared Memory: 6095 MB

It's possible the outfits my characters are using are just not pushing it over the limit. Half the characters are level 1 with the starting gear, which is probably very low memory usage. Only half are using custom outfits, and most of them are using older outfits from Hutt Cartel or Shadows of Revan era rather than the new outfits with all the bells and whistles.

This is the most logical reason I’ve seen yet. The extra textures being added to the game recently & the texture setting being locked at high would certainly be something to examine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keirowyn said:

All I know is my chars are all wearing the same outfits they were when the game ran fine right up til the servers went down.

If your texture settings are locked to high as you go to login, this could be what’s causing the issue. I’m assuming people with low lvl graphics don’t have all the setting set to high or the game won’t run or if it does, not very well. 

BS need to put in place a default low lvl setting for issues like this. Then players can select it or the system defaults to if the game hangs from performance issues. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I've been digging through everything and I found a repair option. When I went to repair this is the screen it gave me. It could be nothing, but I figured I would through it on here as I've never had an issue before 7.4.1. 

image.png.be7c0433365bf49b086bce944ccb898d.png

Edited by Jessies

So I've been having the same issues as everyone above and I haven't read every reply but I figured I should just try and delete my client settings file and see what happens. The game seemed to load for me just fine, albeit with worse settings. I'm curious how many people have tried this. 

I do believe the theory that this has to due with the game loading so many high quality textures at once, and then crashing. I have around 30 or so characters so I don't know if people are crashing with more or less than me.

21 minutes ago, Jeltran said:

So I've been having the same issues as everyone above and I haven't read every reply but I figured I should just try and delete my client settings file and see what happens. The game seemed to load for me just fine, albeit with worse settings. I'm curious how many people have tried this. 

Deleting the client_setting file if using an intel iris xe card for example was seen before this patch 
See an example at https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/SWTOR-Keeps-Crashing/m-p/13394884#M106981  
Would not go more then high at this stage on gfx settings, otherwise deleting the client_setting file should help again if set higher

This and textures going from high to low in game are issues that can still occur on these intel cards even once the issue seen in this thread is resolved

54 minutes ago, OwenBrooks said:

Deleting the client_setting file if using an intel iris xe card for example was seen before this patch 
See an example at https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/SWTOR-Keeps-Crashing/m-p/13394884#M106981  
Would not go more then high at this stage on gfx settings, otherwise deleting the client_setting file should help again if set higher

This and textures going from high to low in game are issues that can still occur on these intel cards even once the issue seen in this thread is resolved

That would make sense as this does seem like an issue from a while back

1 hour ago, Jeltran said:

I do believe the theory that this has to due with the game loading so many high quality textures at once, and then crashing. I have around 30 or so characters so I don't know if people are crashing with more or less than me.

That being said my game isn't running perfect. If I try to switch characters my game freezes on the character select screen.

11 hours ago, Zygorius said:

Yes. BTW, I have also done that to all the characters on his account, not only his last logged in character. Some of his characters ended up naked but he could login and play on his old/bad laptop afterwards.

Awesome great to hear.
Does not help players who do not have access to a high end machine, but for those that do it would be a good step to try and work around the problem.

10 hours ago, Keirowyn said:

It's not even a high end laptop... It's a Ryzen 7 5800 with integrated Radeon graphics. Using it I can log into any char on any server. If I switch to a char on any server but star forge and log out, I can switch to MY laptop and log in fine. As soon as I try to log into star forge on MY laptop (either directly from launch or going back to server select after logging in to another server), it freezes.

I've only tried changing the outfit on one of my chars.Don't have time to do them all right now. Maybe later today. 

please do and post an update.

So using the drop internet and reconnect at frozen screen method I am bounced to the server select default and it shows no servers but after a short wait I  see the servers listed with -1 characters per. Now if I log onto any server except SS, I  can play as usual i.e. change clothes, switch toons, trade on the gtn, all the things I would normally do as long as I quit from the server select screen I can log back in as usual no problem. I  can tell you my newest gear is definitely on Satele and Star Forge, and I do have the dreaded Intel card, but I got a good 6 hrs in of playtime, and maybe an hour of testing and logging in and out.

• Like 2

I have the same problem with starting game on my PC. It gets to the point of the art screen then its "non-responding". This has been happening for about a week now.  I have tried all the above mentioned things, even tried some different things and still no luck on PC but game will load on laptop. 

I made a f2p account and that somehow works on the main computer I play on, but somehow the account with a sub cannot get into the game. I can play on other computers just fine I genuinely don't understand what could be causing this. I've had no issues playing before this for years

Decided to come back to the game after a couple year break. Annnnnd Ive run into this problem with after hitting play on the launcher, I get the Chains in the Dark loading screen and it never moves past it. I have tried some of the ideas ive found here and other posts. I am not subbed atm but I would be a prefered player. Computer is more then strong enough to run the game.

I noticed the very first time I booted up, it went past the screen, but got stuck like two screens later and crashed. Then never past that chains in the dark screen, even after full purge and reinstall. I tried just letting it run for about an hour and half. Real tired of looking at that screen. I did notice I could hear background noises sometimes, like the fighter taking off from the station. Not giving up quite yet but starting to lose interest on returning if this wall is blocking me. Not looking to make a new f2p account as I wanted to play on my old account.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FrontLineFodder said:

please do and post an update.

Holy crap... this worked.  I have 22 characters on Star Forge (plus one lvl 1 I just created yesterday as a test).

Logged onto my wife's Ryzen 7 laptop and went through all 22 of my characters and clicked "Show gear as outfit" or whatever it says... then switched to my Core i7 / Iris Xe laptop and now I can log into my account.

I wonder if its a certain newer / higher texture outfit that's causing it... like the Suppression Trooper armor a couple of my chars were wearing.  Or the Reforged Mandalorian Hunter.

Edited by Keirowyn
  • Like 1

Ok... using MY laptop, I went back and started turning my outfits back on, one by one. I turned on my Destroyer armor on one of my Jedi and logged out... turned on the Suppression Trooper on one of my agents and logged out... then went to one of my bounty hunters and turned on the Reforged Mandalorian Hunter... logged out to character select and it froze.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Keirowyn said:

Ok... using MY laptop, I went back and started turning my outfits back on, one by one. I turned on my Destroyer armor on one of my Jedi and logged out... turned on the Suppression Trooper on one of my agents and logged out... then went to one of my bounty hunters and turned on the Reforged Mandalorian Hunter... logged out to character select and it froze.

Interesting. I don't think I have the Reforged Mandalorian Hunter armor though. So that may be it for you or maybe it's having too many special armors activated at the same time. So if we switch back to "Show Gear As Outfit" on whatever toon we're playing on before switching to another toon, maybe that will work. I will log in on my account on my son's laptop and turn all my outfits off and see if it works for me too. I'll update in a little bit. Thanx.

I dont have the reforged mandalorian gear, so its something else for me. Just a matter of finding it out. Plus I can log into game on my laptop, but cannot on my desktop.  And my eyes arent the greatest.

18 minutes ago, StefanXKromka said:

My last used character too has the reforged mandalorian hunter set active. Perhaps there is a issue with it?

Seems to be an issue with some of the newer / higher texture armor sets... It may not be that one specifically. It may be like a cumulative effect. I turned on the Suppression Trooper first... Then the Reforged Mando... Then it froze. 

Hopefully I can at least turn on the outfit for my active char... And then turn it off before I log out. 

Edited by Keirowyn
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Keirowyn said:

Hopefully I can at least turn on the outfit for my active char... And then turn it off before I log out. 

That's what I'm thinking. My son finally woke up so I'm gonna try turning my armor outfits off and see if that works but my suggestion was, until they fix it, to just turn our outfits off when we log out or switch to another toon after getting it to work. That is IF it works. 

• Like 1

UPDATE: Turning outfits off on all of my toons didn't work. I'm still freezing on the splash screen. *sigh* That seems like it was a HUGE waste of time now (36 toons I think) lol. But since it helped some people I would suggest everyone try it. It might work for you but it didn't work for me. That's just how my luck always works.

Edited by Hollow_Stone
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hollow_Stone said:

That's what I'm thinking. My son finally woke up so I'm gonna try turning my armor outfits off and see if that works but my suggestion was, until they fix it, to just turn our outfits off when we log out or switch to another toon after getting it to work. That is IF it works. 

I was just on playing one of my main lvl 80 jedi knights... Working on a little galactic season stuff. He wears the Destroyer armor set with no problem. But that armor is from the very early days of the game. 

Edited by Keirowyn
  • Like 1