Unable to login into SWTOR

CossackB

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt... I've also tried all the fixes, and nothing works for me, even after reinstalling twice. I can log into my brother's account (F2P) and it runs just fine, it's just mine that won't load to the character select screen. (Occassionally it'll give me the ambient sounds/music for the char. select screen.  I did have to drop my graphics from a high-ultra mix of custom settings with the last update, and had it on a high-medium mix, and it ran just fine until the update. and hoped it would be that issue, but not this time it seems.

And though I'm not opposed to starting over with a fresh account, I would severely hate to lose my 100 characters and the 100s of dollars put into the game over the last few years, not counting the time and effort put into my guilds and strongholds. 

I've also tried logging in on my other laptop, which I played on for years before I got my new one, and ran it with a custom medium-low settings, and it has the exact same issue with not loading to the character select screen.

Edited by Jade_Starchaser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It just blows my mind the total lack of customer concerns these people have. They really don't give a flying rat´s a** what happens to us. Been playing this for over ten years, and I refuse to start from zero just because they are too lazy to do their job. Gladly I´ve been preferred for the last 8 months. I stopped resubbing exactly because of sh** like these. Provably a good time to quit flat-out...

Fu** the fact a sh** load of your player base can't log on. But hey, they fixed your mount and dye.... It´s so frustrating it's not even funny.

• Like 2

I am also having this issue. Prior to patch 7.4.1 I had been playing the game with no problems on medium graphics settings. Since the patch, on the same computer, the game freezes on the loading screen when I try to log into a server (I play primarily on Star Forge).  When I launch it with Task Manager open to monitor resource use, my CPU use abruptly fluctuates between ~30% and 100% (at which point the game goes into "not responding" freeze). My GPU use remains very low throughout. Patch 7.4.1a has not fixed this issue.

I have tried every solution posted in this thread so far and none have worked, including all permutations of modifying or deleting the client_settings.ini file, allowing both launcher and app through firewall, and even a few that were not posted such as clearing DiskCacheArena (I remember this file often got corrupted and caused issues years ago). 

I am currently subscribed, I have an old account, and my GPU is integrated Intel IrisXe. CPU is Intel core i5. I know my computer is not very good, but it was running SWTOR without any issues prior to 7.4.1.

Edited to add: Using steam launcher. And yes, I have restarted the game, steam, and my computer multiple times across the now several days this has been an issue. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. I have tried repairing the game and verifying integrity of game files. None of that has worked for me.

Edited by NormericanEagle
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LORD_ACRYLIC said:

This seems like broadsword is telling us that subbing is bad. Maybe we should stop.

With the mostly silence on this issue I'm actually starting to get to that point. I've kept my sub through all the previous mass unsubs because I still genuinely loved this game. But if my 10 years of faithful subscription warrants simple "hey check your settings' instead of some serious "oh crap that's not good we're getting the team on that asap" then maybe it is time to move on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bar-Da-Voya said:

Just adding my experience to what is known. I can play my subscribed and preferred accounts fine on my desktop. 

I cannot get past the loading screen on the same two accounts on my laptop (Intel onboard graphics). I created a new free-to-play account and the game loaded up fine on my laptop.

Tried all the suggestions about editing and deleting the client_settings.ini file and nothing changed, still hangs on the loading screen for my subscribed and preferred accounts.

When attempting to solve a problem like this the very first thing you need to do is gather as much information as possible.  I understand that people are frustrated But as you can see from Bar-Da-Voya's Post there is a very real connexion to the problem between the hardware and account status. their definitely seems to be a lot of integrated graphics connected to this issue Including on board and built into CPU graphics.

I have spent over 15 years running technical support for a graph card and chipset company, So I definitely understand the need for information in this situation.

When your system starts the game for the first time, after connecting It may actually swap between an integrated and discreet graphics cards, Subscribers and preferred accounts Both have access to extra toolbars and other options. that may be affecting the login process.

More information they have, the more chance they have at fixing it, And solving this problem may not be a simple fix.

Here’s a step-by-step guide for someone to provide their system information, including details about their graphics card, on a Windows PC:

Open System Information:
Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
Type “msinfo32” and press Enter.
The System Information window will open. Copy information By dragging the mouse from the bottom of the information and selecting it all and pressing ctrl and C together.

Locate Graphics Card Information: 
In the left pane, expand Components.
Click on Display.
Look for the “Adapter Description” in the right pane. This will display the name of your graphics card (e.g., NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti). Copy information By dragging the mouse from the bottom of the information and selecting it all and pressing ctrl and C together.

Additional Graphics Card Details:
To find more detailed information about your graphics card, you can also:
Click on “Device Manager” in the left pane.
Expand the “Display adapters” section to see the specific graphics card model (e.g., NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080).
Right-click on the graphics card and select “Properties” to view additional details like the driver version and hardware IDs.
Alternative Method (Command Prompt):
Open the Command Prompt (search for it in the Start menu).
Type the following command and press Enter:
wmic path win32_videocontroller get caption

This will display the name of your graphics card.

If you have a working connexion on one device and a non working on another device providing both will be extremely helpful. 

So let's all work together to provide them as much information as possible to ensure it is solved as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GunqqerFriithian said:

Just to chime in, I am running a 6700xt for my graphics and an r9 5900x and it don't work here

as one of the few non intel person to post here, can you make a post in the swtor technical issues forum at https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/bd-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en 

if you can provide a dxdiag per https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Guide-Posting-a-DxDiag/m-p/4832663/highlight/true#M70799 

and a copy of the contents of your client_setting file would be appreciated

17 minutes ago, OwenBrooks said:

as one of the few non intel person to post here, can you make a post in the swtor technical issues forum at https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/bd-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en 

if you can provide a dxdiag per https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Guide-Posting-a-DxDiag/m-p/4832663/highlight/true#M70799 

and a copy of the contents of your client_setting file would be appreciated

I'm running the game through proton, so while I want to do troubleshooting to add info, every time I do that people ignore it so I don't see the use

Just now, GunqqerFriithian said:

I'm running the game through proton, so while I want to do troubleshooting to add info, every time I do that people ignore it so I don't see the use

ahh yes proton is not a supported OS unfortunately so that is why it will be less looked at by support

• Like 1

i see alot of people talking about hardware.. of course that is the first thing everyone would look at ,but explain why they can make a new account, and log in just fine, on the same system..... use your brains.. why would it work for 1 account but not another?  

• Like 3

Just now, cbrink said:

i see alot of people talking about hardware.. of course that is the first thing everyone would look at ,but explain why they can make a new account, and log in just fine, on the same system..... use your brains.. why would it work for 1 account but not another?  

potentially 2 issues ( still to be determined) one person was successfully back in the game using an intel card at https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Failure-to-Load-after-Update/m-p/13564046#M107746

I have not seen one person with this issue post that the hardware met the minimum game requirements 

Almost all seen are intel video cards with 128mb dedicated video memory which is way below the game requirement of 1024mb

• Like 1

Not sure if this will work for everyone but i COMPLETELY removed SWTOR from my system using a wipe program. Then reinstalled the game and I am past the chains screen got as far as the story load screen (i am a preferred status account) but i actually got through to Star Forge server. it took a bit longer but yes I finally loaded into the game and seems all is well for now!! Hope this helps others

I am on a AMD R5 and nvidia graphics ( if that helps at all)

Edited by UntLordHerne
More info Provided

On 3/12/2024 at 5:20 PM, KeiralynHalcyon said:

@Kiafus both my husband and I are subscribed as well. And I just took a look at the first few pages of the forum... A LOT OF BUGS! Where's a can of Raid when you need it? LOL

My wife hates the fact that "I can play"...and FYI.  I have an Intel chip in my computer and I'm on "integrated graphics".   So that means the problem isn't entirely graphics-related. 

I'm leaning more towards the coding.  If @KeiralynHalcyon can't get in...and I can and we're on the same internet connection...just different computers because we both play at the same time and sometimes help each other out... 

If certain people can get in that have Intel chipsets and integrated graphics...

These are questions that go against the grain of the usual...  It's Intel graphics and integrated chips that are causing the problem excuse.  It's not the case.  Some of us are able to get in and play. 

Edited by NikkeiSimmer

I had a similar issue when the game went to 64 bit. In the end it turned out to be a corrupted hidden file in the SWTOR directory. I completely deleted the swtor directory using a "bleaching" app to completely remove the directory and all files (I found out that just deleting the directory sometimes left hidden files behind in a hidden (or corrupted) directory. A fresh install of the software fixed the problem. Did you experience any unusual issues during the update like a stalled update or crash? Those can sometimes lead to corrupted files in the swtor directory. If the corrupted file is one that is linked to your main account, that could explain why creating a new account "fixes" the issue (they are not linked in the software).

Ok then try to explain to me this. I have 3 accounts. One is subscribed, one is preferred and another one i just made is free. 

From subs and preferred i have chars made on Darth Malgus, bouth worked fine until last update. After update i get Connection error BUT only for this server. On any other server i can create and play, everything is fine. 

From free account i also can play on every server including Darth Malgus.

6 minutes ago, Thazicus said:

Ok then try to explain to me this. I have 3 accounts. One is subscribed, one is preferred and another one i just made is free. 

From subs and preferred i have chars made on Darth Malgus, bouth worked fine until last update. After update i get Connection error BUT only for this server. On any other server i can create and play, everything is fine. 

From free account i also can play on every server including Darth Malgus.

I think I'd still lean toward it being a corrupted file. That you have no issue connecting to the server with your free account seems to rule out it being a server side issue. The issue would appear to be with the server "keys" in the install present before the update. Somehow the "key" for the DM server got corrupted in both profiles. The issue I had was not fixed by either a repair or a normal reinstall. It was very stubborn and not at all obvious.

OK. Officially tried all prescribed fixes/troubleshooting below and still can't get past that Chains in the Dark screen.

- Verified that all hardware meets minimum or more specs to run the game:

• OS Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Intel HD 520 Graphics Card with 1.0 GB RAM, supports Shader 3.0 or + (otherwise it wouldn't have run the game pre-update).
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2801 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
  • Nearly 300 GB of free storage space on the C: drive
  • Wireless internet connection - no issues before the update.

- Made sure that swtor was made an exception for all firewall and anti-virus protections.  These were not issues before the update.
- Uninstalled the game, installed the latest Direct X and Visual c++ support software as provided by SWTOR support, then reinstalled the game, and rebooted computer. 
- Ran a repair on SWTOR using the SWTOR_setup.exe file.
- Backed up the settings file (renaming the folder) and let the SWTOR launcher generate a new default settings file.
- The new default settings' "client_settings.ini" file had the following settings:
   GraphicsQuality = 1
   TextureQuality = 1 

(My tech guy wrote this - btw, he's able to launch his subbed SWTOR just fine!)

Next steps, please.

11 minutes ago, AmorandaAdamah said:

OK. Officially tried all prescribed fixes/troubleshooting below and still can't get past that Chains in the Dark screen.

- Verified that all hardware meets minimum or more specs to run the game:

• OS Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Intel HD 520 Graphics Card with 1.0 GB RAM, supports Shader 3.0 or + (otherwise it wouldn't have run the game pre-update).
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2801 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
  • Nearly 300 GB of free storage space on the 😄 drive
  • Wireless internet connection - no issues before the update.

- Made sure that swtor was made an exception for all firewall and anti-virus protections.  These were not issues before the update.
- Uninstalled the game, installed the latest Direct X and Visual c++ support software as provided by SWTOR support, then reinstalled the game, and rebooted computer. 
- Ran a repair on SWTOR using the SWTOR_setup.exe file.
- Backed up the settings file (renaming the folder) and let the SWTOR launcher generate a new default settings file.
- The new default settings' "client_settings.ini" file had the following settings:
   GraphicsQuality = 1
   TextureQuality = 1 

(My tech guy wrote this - btw, he's able to launch his subbed SWTOR just fine!)

Next steps, please.

run a dxdiag per https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Guide-Posting-a-DxDiag/m-p/4832663/highlight/true#M70799

and then under video card look at the dedicated memory i doubt very much it says more then 1gb very rare that occurs with intel video cards

Likely like 

Display Memory: 4079 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB  <----- this needs to be 1024MB
Shared Memory: 3951 MB 

Edited by OwenBrooks

Isn't it strange how you can login in with the same computer by creating a new account and play the game but when you are a sub you get the load screen that freezes and you can't login. I'm not willing to give up the gear i have collected and saved over 10 years of playing. They need to get this fixed ASAP

• Like 5

[Renderer]
AllowColorRemapping = true
Buckets = 1
CodeVersionChanged = false
doShadows = false
DYDDrawDistancePreset = 2
EnableBloom = false
EnableSSAO = false
GraphicsQuality = 1
LastCodeVersionRun = 4
MinspecVramCutoffMB = 64
NewBucket = 1
PlantDensity = 100
ShaderSet = 0
TextureAnisotropy = 1
TextureQuality = 1
FxLightsLimit = 15
StaticLightsLimit = 45
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
ShadowMapResolution = 1024
AntiAliasingLevel = 0
AtlasQuality = 0
MeshLODQuality = 1
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
Fullscreen = false
D3DFullScreen = false
RefreshRate = 60
AllowDepthOfField = false

I Just did this suggestion and started my game as normal...then the game gave me error code C5...assets missing...so hello a reinstall again...hopefully this reinstall fixes the loading screen... highly doubt it.

Ye

Just now, sethrage said:

Isn't it strange how you can login in with the same computer by creating a new account and play the game but when you are a sub you get the load screen that freezes and you can't login. I'm not willing to give up the gear i have collected and saved over 10 years of playing. They need to get this fixed ASAP

Yes , yet others have also been able to login fine on their accounts on a different computer not using intel video card too but not on that intel system

example https://forums.swtor.com/topic/934089-unable-to-login-into-swtor/?do=findComment&comment=9804483

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gabrielmcknight said:

Just did this suggestion and started my game as normal...then the game gave me error code C5...assets missing...so hello a reinstall again...hopefully this reinstall fixes the loading screen... highly doubt it.

if anyone else gets a C5 error code try a repair first up https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/GUIDE-Client-Repair-Scan/m-p/6454174#M70804

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nemesistactics said:

Yeah, with this it's sometimes difficult to find. I know I had a hard time finding it sometime last week when I needed to reset my graphics settings before the update. Oftentimes it's hidden.

Yes, specifically the AppData directory.  You have to show hidden files in your file explorer options to see it.