very solid ( and very relevant to SWTOR ) commentary by IGN here....

Nee-Elder

Since i didn't want the other thread:  https://forums.swtor.com/topic/932015-shae-vizla-launch-updates/page/20/#comments  to veer  any further off-topic ,  i thought  you  @TziganeNZ ( and anyone else ) might enjoy this  very articulate  & very appropriate  VIDEO  "rant" --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWdZhKFtxKg  i found as a result of that other thread going slightly off-topic.

imho,  *Broadsword DEVS  old & new*  could do themselves, and our playerbase, a big favor by taking that  video to heart....and to practice. :ph_use_the_force:

( i won't bother  at'ing  toward EA to watch it though ,  for obvious hopeless reasons  :(  )

• Thanks 3

Yes!! So much truth to that video!! BG3 has absolutely shone a light in the darkness of extremely mediocre, microtransaction-focused game development that is absolutely bedevilling the industry now. And why indeed should not players' expectations be raised?? Talk about lazy thinking and writing, coupled with maximising returns on minimal funds invested (which is what's driving the p*ss-poor product offering we are being fed and expected to pay top dollar for (and for which we should be SO grateful), while being ripped off) .

Edited by TziganeNZ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whykara said:

the attitude that we should just be happy with the miniscule content drip feedings we get twice a year is insulting. I know that the current state of SWTOR is not the best that the devs can do.

The most impactful way to communicate that is by voting with your money.  If you're still subscribing and/or purchasing cartel coins but are not happy with the service you're paying for  then your actions don't match with your words.  That is my opinion. 

I will also mention my thought where SWTOR specifically is concerned, that the cartel market is where EA/Broadsword makes up for not increasing subscription pricing since the game's launch 12 years ago.  Costs have gone up a lot over the past 12 years but SWTOR's subscription pricing has not.  I have to think cartel market revenue is what allows SWTOR to keep going in an inflationary economy, even if the amount and quality of the content is significantly diminished.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

The most impactful way to communicate that is by voting with your money. 

True words my green friend. I'm waiting for the February livestream to decide if I keep my subscription active. This or maybe I'm banned before that, the sentence you quoted brought me another warning point lmao

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 12:28 PM, Char_Ell said:

I will also mention my thought where SWTOR specifically is concerned, that the cartel market is where EA/Broadsword makes up for not increasing subscription pricing since the game's launch 12 years ago.  Costs have gone up a lot over the past 12 years but SWTOR's subscription pricing has not.  I have to think cartel market revenue is what allows SWTOR to keep going in an inflationary economy, even if the amount and quality of the content is significantly diminished.

Definitely this. I saw someone the other day on Discord mention how the Dark Honor Guard's Unstable Lightsaber was $45 after someone shared it being 5,500cc. That's nearly the cost of a video game, and took absolutely no man power to create. The CM is just printing money. Especially now that the CM is trying extra hard to ride off the success of the Star Wars TV shows, like the Mandalorian. Who knows. The Mandalorian TV show is probably the only reason we got stuck with a Heta storyline. Bioware tried to cash in on Mandalorians in both new players, and mandalorian gear.

On 1/17/2024 at 7:28 PM, Char_Ell said:

Same subscription pricing for WoW, yet they have waaaaaaaay more content than swtor

On 2/21/2024 at 1:27 AM, GuigeekRhadamant said:

Same subscription pricing for WoW, yet they have waaaaaaaay more content than swtor

Shhhh, we don't mention other MMOs like WoW, FFXIV, LOTRO and such that get WAY more content (PvE, PvP, World Explorations) for the same sub price. Not to mention expansions either...which are just patches here in SWTOR. Don't call them expansions here because they aren't. They are just patches. Want to see an expansion? Go look at WoW or FFXIV, who actually give a damn about their game despite what it may seem sometimes.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 5:28 AM, Char_Ell said:

Costs have gone up a lot over the past 12 years but SWTOR's subscription pricing has not

As the original thread is a commentary on the launch of a server in Australia. I thought I might like to add in 2012 the US to AU exchange rate fluctuated around 1.0. So, yes, in Australia, $14.99 was. $14.99 in 2012.

Today $14.99USD is $22.62AUD and that makes it about $7 more expensive than any other large MMO that I can find And demonstrates that they don't even consider what's best for the market they're attempting to re-enter Between the extremely expensive subscription cost compared to other games (Actually, it's the most expensive subscription I currently have, including all my streaming services) and the expected cost to transfer back to a local server you were moved off of $60.34 for 11 characters. (5500 coins $39.00US) I cannot see how this game could be successful in this region, unless. things change. 

There is a player base in Australia definitely, But the overwhelming response I've received from everywhere I've posted about The launch of SV Was the cost to transfer Just to play your original characters on the new server on top of the cost of subscription makes SWTOR considerably more expensive to play for 3 months than purchasing Boulder's gate 3 That will definitely provide you what way more than three months' worth of content. You could buy any triple-a-rated game on Steam today, including Boulder's Gate or Jedi Survivor For less than the cost to transfer your characters. back to a playable server. And yes, I know you can start fresh for only a subscription cost, But like me. people actually get attached to the characters they spend time with and items they've already paid to unlock. So starting fresh isn't a long-term solution for any returning player It's a novelty.