Snowballs

Sumugi

7 hours ago, TziganeNZ said:

Yes, that is correct. Right-clicking will indeed remove the effect, yet others have admitted in this thread that they do not respect the other player's choice not to have the effect on their character.

The Rakghoul Plague is another annoying one, but you do have the option to disengage with it by buying and using a vaccine.  Be nice to have the same option for the Life Day effect annoyance.

In all the MMOs I've played, I've only very occasionally taken part in any of the seasonal events as I find them jarring. This is, of course, my own choice, and I've absolutely no problem with the events themselves.

Please believe me when I tell you ... I totally understand.

Hmmm ...

[/scratches head]

maybe not a vaccine ...

GOT it!

How about a small transponder!  Even if you get hit ... zero results actually shows up!

It just kind of strikes me funny a bit though!  At my age you'd think I'd be the one opposed to the event!  (You know ... us old folks can be a bit testy sometimes)

BTW... @Nee-Elder ... If I didn't find SOMETHING to fuss about (every now and then)  he'd think my account had been hijacked or something!

😉

(Edit: ... BTW ... I actually won't care what was used... as long as a reasonable solution was reached.  Something like the snowball thing is supposed to simply be fun.  A good break from the rest of the game!  IMO ... nothing more ... nothing less!)

Edited by OlBuzzard
  • Like 1

Yikes, while the snowflakes do not bother me, I do not see the harm of having something for those who do not want them to show up, and not this year as it is about time for them to go away, but maybe the developers can think about those that would rather not be a part of it.  While this is an MMO, no one should be a part of something they don't like.   I.E. If you do not like PVP, you don't have to become involved in it.  I do not see why there is such a big deal allowing some to opt out.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, casirabit said:

Yikes, while the snowflakes do not bother me, I do not see the harm of having something for those who do not want them to show up, and not this year as it is about time for them to go away, but maybe the developers can think about those that would rather not be a part of it.  While this is an MMO, no one should be a part of something they don't like.   I.E. If you do not like PVP, you don't have to become involved in it.  I do not see why there is such a big deal allowing some to opt out.   

There is no issue except where these types of changes stop. Do the devs change snow flakes? What about the food cannon and food from Feast of Prosperity? Mount sounds, garnish lightsaber colors, too sexy outfits, weird gold and shadow aura from toys, glowing eyes, huttball toy, etc

I'm not against disabling snowflakes or any other toy from the players perspective, but do you want the devs spending their time combing through all the code to disable all the toys and events? The complaints won't stop at Life Day snowflakes, it will be Life Day decorations next, then Rakghoul week, then about how disruptive swoop racing is to people questing on Tatooine, Dantooine, and Onderon, and so on.

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

There is no issue except where these types of changes stop. Do the devs change snow flakes? What about the food cannon and food from Feast of Prosperity? Mount sounds, garnish lightsaber colors, too sexy outfits, weird gold and shadow aura from toys, glowing eyes, huttball toy, etc

I'm not against disabling snowflakes or any other toy from the players perspective, but do you want the devs spending their time combing through all the code to disable all the toys and events? The complaints won't stop at Life Day snowflakes, it will be Life Day decorations next, then Rakghoul week, then about how disruptive swoop racing is to people questing on Tatooine, Dantooine, and Onderon, and so on.

The Rak ghoul event has a vaccine you can use to "opt" out.   I keep those on hands as that is one, I do not like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, casirabit said:

The Rak ghoul event has a vaccine you can use to "opt" out.   I keep those on hands as that is one, I do not like.

yes, but the rakghoul event affects players ability to move, fight, and eventually kills them.

The snowflakes do none of that.

I doubt diverting development for the ability to toggle off toys, snowflakes, mounts (because someone is already asking to ban mounts from fleet due to "noise harassment"), event decorations, or anything else people want to complain about will do much to help retain or bring in new players.

Edited by Darkestmonty

Can we get an opt out for people on large mounts standing on vendors (maybe make them invisible or shrink them down to tiny size). How about an opt out for people standing in the middle of RP groups with loud mounts or using any of the other "disruptive" forced participation. It's all pretty much the same, other people getting their fun by reducing yours

Since a lot of the "disruptive" behavior is based on displays on your client machine, it would seem to be something relatively easy (not easy but relatively so) to incorporate into the client side software.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DWho said:

Since a lot of the "disruptive" behavior is based on displays on your client machine, it would seem to be something relatively easy (not easy but relatively so) to incorporate into the client side software.

We already have the ability to show/not show various nameplates as our personal preference on what we want to see on our own monitors, so it's not a huge leap to think that perhaps a similar "show player mounts" toggle could also be incorporated?  Similarly, one that toggles whatever the wording for snowflakes or sparkle bombs or whatever else you don't necessarily want to see could also be done in a similar way.

I'm no dev, so no idea if this is viable or not, but it seems a little odd considering we already have this for nameplates in our preferences.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TziganeNZ said:

We already have the ability to show/not show various nameplates as our personal preference on what we want to see on our own monitors, so it's not a huge leap to think that perhaps a similar "show player mounts" toggle could also be incorporated?  Similarly, one that toggles whatever the wording for snowflakes or sparkle bombs or whatever else you don't necessarily want to see could also be done in a similar way.

I'm no dev, so no idea if this is viable or not, but it seems a little odd considering we already have this for nameplates in our preferences.

except part of the reason people pay for CM items is to show them off.

We are already getting into the territory of asking to disable everything we don't like which takes up developer time. Meanwhile snowflakes hasn't even been publicly discussed by the devs yet.

If the devs disable snowflakes a torrent of requests to disable everything including all CM items will come forth.

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, TziganeNZ said:

While I don't pretend to be that well versed in technobabble stuff ... programming ... etc...

I would imagine that the best solution would be something on the order of a vaccine .. or temporary injected implant to simply ward off the effects of the dreaded snowball attacks!

(In other words, this seems to keep the solution as simple as possible).

There are also a couple of observations that IMO are somewhat equally accurate:
** The snowball fun from Life Day does not inhibit, disrupt or otherwise take away from a players skill or stats.  The effect is simply there (it's a visual display only.

** There are a number of equally annoying things found in game.  (Well to some people these are annoying).  Inappropriate dress codes for players: (for example) slave girl outfits on Hoth for the ladies (please do not derail the entire discussion over this one either) ... [/facepalm].  People using the largest most annoying mount possible to cover up NPC points of interest (that other players need access to).  WEAPONS tuning (frankly I'm not sure where some of those items were dreamed up ... but those ideas need to be sent back to the drawing board!)

** There ARE areas of forced participation (see the GS series) IF you want to get all of the rewards.  Frankly some of us gladly OPT OUT ... and no longer give one royal-rippity-ruha about the GS series anymore.  Yes ... I'm one of them!

All in all there are a number of things that can be annoying!  Some of those things can be a lot more easily addressed than others.  

The snowball thing is one that could be more easily solved (up to a point).  And IF it turns out that it's an "EASY" fix then I would support it.  Please note ... YES I did all cap the word "EASY" for a clear reason.  What is easy to us, may (or may NOT) be easy for the team.

OH!!  Something that some of us may be overlooking ...  IMO the snowball thing should be disabled in the rest of the game areas ... period!  There are a number of folks that do enjoy RP while in game.  And though I'm not one of them .... I do respect their approach to SWTOR.

Edited by OlBuzzard

8 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

OH!!  Something that some of us may be overlooking ...  IMO the snowball thing should be disabled in the rest of the game areas ... period!  There are a number of folks that do enjoy RP while in game.  And though I'm not one of them .... I do respect their approach to SWTOR.

Players that want to RP can do so in personal strongholds. People aren't invading random strongholds to hit RPers with snowballs.

Players have been throwing snowballs at NPC's, mobs, and even in PvP for over a decade to earn parcels. Disabling the use of snowballs anywhere in the game for an event that has been going on for over a decade to cater a very minor amount of RPers seems absurd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darkestmonty said:

Players that want to RP can do so in personal strongholds. People aren't invading random strongholds to hit RPers with snowballs.

Players have been throwing snowballs at NPC's, mobs, and even in PvP for over a decade to earn parcels. Disabling the use of snowballs anywhere in the game for an event that has been going on for over a decade to cater a very minor amount of RPers seems absurd.

Good!

Precisely the reaction I was expecting !!!!

NO!  This time you are flat wrong!

I intentionally left out specifics... such as locations that would seem appropriate.  And IMO .. there are places where this sort of fun would be inappropriate.  In the middle of the latest story is one!  But it is also obvious that you are not interested in asking questions that might find an appropriate solution. 

Public places SUCH as the stations ...  (Republic and Empire alike) ...  The same designated area for the Hutt Feast ... Maybe even a couple of new areas (such as on HOTH) ...  might be more appropriate.  Change sometimes can be good!  This would NOT stop or otherwise inhibit the Life Day snowball fun.  

BTW...  it should be noted that until this year .. I have participated in the Life Day celebrations as much as possible.  So much so that I have several hundred parcels left over!

😉

The simple fact is that sometimes ... changes can be good!

It should be noted ... that since there seems to be very little real progress or genuine need for this discussion any more ... I think I'll just OPT OUT for a bit!

33 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

While I don't pretend to be that well versed in technobabble stuff ... programming ... etc...

I would imagine that the best solution would be something on the order of a vaccine .. or temporary injected implant to simply ward off the effects of the dreaded snowball attacks!

(In other words, this seems to keep the solution as simple as possible). <snip>

All good, I was just thinking about what DWho said about huge player mounts, and it sort of morphed from there.

44 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

Good!

Precisely the reaction I was expecting !!!!

NO!  This time you are flat wrong!

I intentionally left out specifics... such as locations that would seem appropriate.  And IMO .. there are places where this sort of fun would be inappropriate.  In the middle of the latest story is one!  But it is also obvious that you are not interested in asking questions that might find an appropriate solution. 

Public places SUCH as the stations ...  (Republic and Empire alike) ...  The same designated area for the Hutt Feast ... Maybe even a couple of new areas (such as on HOTH) ...  might be more appropriate.  Change sometimes can be good!  This would NOT stop or otherwise inhibit the Life Day snowball fun.  

BTW...  it should be noted that until this year .. I have participated in the Life Day celebrations as much as possible.  So much so that I have several hundred parcels left over!

😉

The simple fact is that sometimes ... changes can be good!

It should be noted ... that since there seems to be very little real progress or genuine need for this discussion any more ... I think I'll just OPT OUT for a bit!

A lot of players earn parcels by pelting mobs while they are leveling. Locking out whole planets, save Hoth, Fleet, and some cities eliminates about 95% of the game they can earn parcels in, more if you block all the strongholds, story locations, all PvP zones, ops, flashpoints, uprisings, etc.

All to what, placate a very small minority of people who don't like snowflakes?

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

All to what, placate a very small minority of people who don't like snowflakes?

This is pure speculation on your part. There is no way, short of getting an 'opt-out' item and seeing what percentage of players use it, to determine if the number of players who don't care for snowflakes (or other in-game things) is relatively large, small, or somewhere in-between.

It's not something that most people will even mention ingame.  Silent acceptance of something can mean that a player  likes it, that they are indifferent, or that they don't like it.  You just do not know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

This is pure speculation on your part. There is no way, short of getting an 'opt-out' item and seeing what percentage of players use it, to determine if the number of players who don't care for snowflakes (or other in-game things) is relatively large, small, or somewhere in-between.

It's not something that most people will even mention ingame.  Silent acceptance of something can mean that a player  likes it, that they are indifferent, or that they don't like it.  You just do not know.

that response is to Buzzard suggesting to lock out use of snowballs at all locations but cold planets and fleet.

Edited by Darkestmonty

1 hour ago, Darkestmonty said:

Disabling the use of snowballs anywhere in the game

No one is suggesting this. They are suggesting modifying the visual appearance associated with being hit with a snowball (most people anyway). Just like changing the appearance of a mount to be smaller so it doesn't block the view of the vendor or quieting it's loud sound. These are client side changes that would affect only the people setting those flags. Everyone else could enjoy the "visuals".

It's not unlike appearance MODs in other games.

You say RPers should go somewhere else to RP, maybe the people who want to be disruptive should have to go somewhere else to be disruptive (special "disruptive" zones). As far as most things go, just having them in the game isn't disruptive, but how people are using them is. Allowing client side changes to block these things makes more sense than outright bans.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DWho said:

No one is suggesting this. They are suggesting modifying the visual appearance associated with being hit with a snowball (most people anyway). Just like changing the appearance of a mount to be smaller so it doesn't block the view of the vendor or quieting it's loud sound. These are client side changes that would affect only the people setting those flags. Everyone else could enjoy the "visuals".

It's not unlike appearance MODs in other games.

You say RPers should go somewhere else to RP, maybe the people who want to be disruptive should have to go somewhere else to be disruptive (special "disruptive" zones). As far as most things go, just having them in the game isn't disruptive, but how people are using them is. Allowing client side changes to block these things makes more sense than outright bans.

"IMO the snowball thing should be disabled in the rest of the game areas ... period!"

snowball not snowflakes. Buzzard was suggesting, unless he worded it wrong, to disable use of snowballs through out most of the game.

So yes someone is suggesting disabling the use of snowballs through out most of the game which I strongly disagree with.

Edited by Darkestmonty

27 minutes ago, DWho said:

No one is suggesting this. They are suggesting modifying the visual appearance associated with being hit with a snowball (most people anyway)

you were in such a hurry to reply you didn't comprehend the bolded/underlined part

On 12/27/2023 at 9:28 PM, DanteYoda said:

I have to agree with the op while its ok for a few days being pummeled by npcs at the GTN gets really annoying after a while..

I agree with this! I don't know why it ticks me off more to get pelted by a non moving character lol!

Aside from that I don't think snowballs are a problem.

Edited by AFadedMemory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DWho said:

you were in such a hurry to reply you didn't comprehend the bolded/underlined part

I read it, then decided which of those two sentences you meant because they contradict each other.

Is no one saying it or are (most people not saying it)?

Edited by Darkestmonty

Anyway, regardless of the semantics, there are two solutions

1) disable all disruptive items server side

2) disable disruptive items client side

Technically there is a third but more complicated way which would use a tag based system to disable them client side for only certain players (tying it into the ignore list might be a simpler way to do it rather than lots of toggles).

Snowballs, loud mounts parked on top of RPers, large mounts parked on top of vendors, etc are all things that could be fixed with a client side "mod" without affecting everyone.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DWho said:

Anyway, regardless of the semantics, there are two solutions

1) disable all disruptive items server side

2) disable disruptive items client side

Technically there is a third but more complicated way which would use a tag based system to disable them client side for only certain players (tying it into the ignore list might be a simpler way to do it rather than lots of toggles).

Snowballs, loud mounts parked on top of RPers, large mounts parked on top of vendors, etc are all things that could be fixed with a client side "mod" without affecting everyone.

Is the problem so severe that people stop giving their money to ea/bs? Is the group of individuals that stop giving money because of snowball/sound  a significant number to effect projected goals? Unless the answer is yes to both question BS will probably leave things the way they are. (Especially with sound, it can already be modified.)

Are Snowballs annoying? I would assume most people like them for a short time then get tired of them. This is supported by the fact It is possible to get hit/hit people with snowball in game all year round but it’s not a common occurrence. (Less reason due to snow parcel removal)

10 minutes ago, AFadedMemory said:

Is the problem so severe that people stop giving their money to ea/bs? Is the group of individuals that stop giving money because of snowball/sound  a significant number to effect projected goals? Unless the answer is yes to both question BS will probably leave things the way they are. (Especially with sound, it can already be modified.)

Are Snowballs annoying? I would assume most people like them for a short time then get tired of them. This is supported by the fact It is possible to get hit/hit people with snowball in game all year round but it’s not a common occurrence. (Less reason due to snow parcel removal)

I'd put snowballs at the bottom of the list precisely because you almost never see them used outside a few weeks a year. The issue with mounts is an everyday occurrence. There is no way they would remove the disruptive mounts since many people payed actual money for them but muting them on a player by player basis is something they could do to "get rid" of these complaint threads.

Since the conversation has wandered off topic, I'll reiterate my original point.

Myself and others are wanting an item like the Rakghoul Vaccine so we can opt-out of the snowflakes part of the event.   We're not asking for anything more than that.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sumugi said:

Since the conversation has wandered off topic, I'll reiterate my original point.

Myself and others are wanting an item like the Rakghoul Vaccine so we can opt-out of the snowflakes part of the event.   We're not asking for anything more than that.

The Rakghoul virus actually inhibits your ability to play the game. Granted there are some medical conditions where visual effects can cause issues, but I’d imagine snowflakes wouldn’t be the only effect in game that would trigger those.

not saying snowball aren’t annoying at times. Just that BS probably doesn’t want to ruffle feathers/put effort in something that won’t be an issue for long.

Edited by AFadedMemory

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.