7.4 / Ord Mantell: A Helping Hand Quest is Awful

Jdast

Forgive me for being blunt...

This is one of the most ill-conceived quests I have ever encountered in any MMORPG. Having thirty people racing to a click a mandatory quest progression item with a lengthy respawn timer is extremely poor game design.

The argument that I should wait until the crowd thins out is inane given how excited many of us were to play the new story, which is now a royal pain in a womp rat's behind. 

Guess I'll wait a week. 😏

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Edit: Per Otowi's point, I'll give the Empire a go. I should have specified I was playing Republic. 

Edited by Jdast
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

I couldn't agree more. This is not just an inconvenience, and annoying, it is game breaking. Why is it game developers make the same mistakes over and over by not anticipating how many players will be vying for the same object? It's not like they can't make an object accept multiple clicks, they've done it elsewhere in the game. 

• Like 3

Agreed. Wanted to take my lvl 80 consular through the new story, only to get roadblocked with the first clicky in Oradam. The others was smooth sailing, but Oradam had atleast 20-30 players standing there with no hope to progress, since everyone clicks so fast that no one will get anywhere fast. Tried to get into another instance, but that was a no go, as it said it was depopulating.

Gave up an tried the Imperial side, which was much better designed, and the clickies there respawned fast, so no troubles there.

No idea why they thought clickies in a general area was a good idea. News flash devs, it will never be a good idea, I thought you had learned that from previous clickies in the open world. Guess not...

Edited by Otowi
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Otowi said:

Agreed. Wanted to take my lvl 80 consular through the new story, only to get roadblocked with the first clicky in Oradam. The others was smooth sailing, but Oradam had atleast 20-30 players standing there with no hope to progress, since everyone clicks so fast that no one will get anywhere fast. Tried to get into another instance, but that was a no go, as it said it was depopulating.

Gave up an tried the Imperial side, which was much better designed, and the clickies there respawned fast, so no troubles there.

No idea why they thought clickies in a general area was a good idea. News flash devs, it will never be a good idea, I thought you had learned that from previous clickies in the open world. Guess not...

Sounds like one dev did the imperial side while another did the republic side. Obviously they have different ways of doing stuff. So I think their team leader needs to discuss this with the republic dev & say don’t do it this way in future. 

I gave up playing the new story update this evening as well. I spent an hour standing around a crate with a pile of people on top of it until I decided I can think of better things to do with my evening. As in, literally anything 😂

I'm shocked that someone on the team would make such a basic a mistake when designing the quest. What on earth did they think would happen when you place a single crate with a lengthy respawn timer in a general area and lock the rest of the new story behind it? Why not simply put the clickable item in an instance or make it respawn instantly?

This is really disappointing.

Edited by witchglove
  • Like 3

Typical behavior from the SWTOR devs.   Of course, this is their solution when people state the story updates are short, so they make them longer but not allowing everyone to click them.   Sometimes I wonder what they are thinking, but then again I remind myself they probably don't.   Reminds me why I play limited time here and spend more time on FFX

Edited by casirabit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The more I read of the difficulties that this release is having ... (on more than one front) ...  I think I'll just wait until next week before updating the game.

** SIGH**

NOT good.  Just NOT good at all.

So many of us want things to be so much better and for good things to happen in SWTOR.

This is so frustrating! 

I'll check back in ...  a few days from now!

Good luck to everyone!

2 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Sounds like one dev did the imperial side while another did the republic side. Obviously they have different ways of doing stuff. So I think their team leader needs to discuss this with the republic dev & say don’t do it this way in future. 

Seems about right.

How could anyone think this was in any way, shape, or form a good idea? The complaints about the needed clickables in CZ 198 should have been a clue. Whomever designed this, and even more so, the person that okayed this should find a new line of work.

• Dev Post

5 hours ago, Jdast said:

Forgive me for being blunt...

This is one of the most ill-conceived quests I have ever encountered in any MMORPG. Having thirty people racing to a click a mandatory quest progression item with a lengthy respawn timer is extremely poor game design.

The argument that I should wait until the crowd thins out is inane given how excited many of us were to play the new story, which is now a royal pain in a womp rat's behind. 

Guess I'll wait a week. 😏

Dasty

Edit: Per Otowi's point, I'll give the Empire a go. I should have specified I was playing Republic. 

Ok, let's talk about this Mission and right out of the gates, what you are describing is a bug. We would be in agreement with your sentiment (although maybe not how you expressed it), that we don't want players to have to wait an extended period for a clickable item that is part of Mission progression. That's not how we would design a Mission.

So if you see something like this, you should definitely raise it as you did but in the bug report forum (where I am going to move this). Also, as a note we are going to be fixing this in our next patch.

Since I also like to throw out some extra nuggets of behind the scenes when I can, to answer the "oh my god how could this possibly happen". When we are building Missions with interactable objects like this, in our toolset the default time for respawn... is the time you are currently seeing for this item, which can feel pretty long when there are a lot of people all interacting at the same time. What happens is every time we create an interactable item for a Mission it is part of our process to override that default to our intended time. We just happened to miss it in this instance. Hence, the bug.

That said our default being on the high side isn't great when we miss it. So beyond just the bug fix for this Mission, we're also adjusting the tool default internally to be much shorter. So if we miss updating the default in the future it won't end up feeling punishing to you.

-eric

• Like 5
  • Thanks 17
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, EricMusco said:

Ok, let's talk about this Mission and right out of the gates, what you are describing is a bug. We would be in agreement with your sentiment (although maybe not how you expressed it), that we don't want players to have to wait an extended period for a clickable item that is part of Mission progression. That's not how we would design a Mission.

So if you see something like this, you should definitely raise it as you did but in the bug report forum (where I am going to move this). Also, as a note we are going to be fixing this in our next patch.

Since I also like to throw out some extra nuggets of behind the scenes when I can, to answer the "oh my god how could this possibly happen". When we are building Missions with interactable objects like this, in our toolset the default time for respawn... is the time you are currently seeing for this item, which can feel pretty long when there are a lot of people all interacting at the same time. What happens is every time we create an interactable item for a Mission it is part of our process to override that default to our intended time. We just happened to miss it in this instance. Hence, the bug.

That said our default being on the high side isn't great when we miss it. So beyond just the bug fix for this Mission, we're also adjusting the tool default internally to be much shorter. So if we miss updating the default in the future it won't end up feeling punishing to you.

-eric

Thank you Eric for the openness to discuss where it went wrong.  I for one appreciate it.  Look forward to the fix tomorrow!

I'm surprised so many thought this was intentional when none of the other boxes had this issue. It was so clearly an oversight. Also grouping helps a lot! Gets 4 people the drop instead of just 1 so it goes quicker. Op group didn't work though as it was only giving some members the drop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricMusco said:

-eric

Thanks Eric, appreciate the behind the scenes info. Always helps to alleviate frustration when you know why something is the way it is, and that a fix is on the way. Thanks again.

2 hours ago, EricMusco said:

Ok, let's talk about this Mission and right out of the gates, what you are describing is a bug.

Refreshing to see YOU actually posting again , particularly  with transparency and code insight. :ph_cheers:

Now if only you & @KeithKanneg  could please devote ONE  Dev cycle to this wonderful aspect  known as:  Galactic Starfighter. :sy_starship:

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: eh-hem, remember it's called STAR Wars!

I didn't try that mission yet but description reminds me of Heroic mission on Dromund Kass called Shadow Spawn to "Retrieve sith runes from fallen sith apprentices to summon and bind a sith spawn."

How many times one can stand idle waiting for their turn in clicking over fallen sith apprentices. Or trying to out-click others who also wait for their turn. And there are four bodies to approach and click, if I recall correctly.
Usually 2-4 players are waiting in peak time. Now imagine if this was more popular and 30 players stood there over each of the aprentices...

If you will fix this mission above, maybe make shorter respawn also in Shadow Spawn. Save our time, please.

6 minutes ago, Grendel_Echo said:

I didn't try that mission yet but description reminds me of Heroic mission on Dromund Kass called Shadow Spawn to "Retrieve sith runes from fallen sith apprentices to summon and bind a sith spawn."

How many times one can stand idle waiting for their turn in clicking over fallen sith apprentices. Or trying to out-click others who also wait for their turn. And there are four bodies to approach and click, if I recall correctly.
Usually 2-4 players are waiting in peak time. Now imagine if this was more popular and 30 players stood there over each of the aprentices...

If you will fix this mission above, maybe make shorter respawn also in Shadow Spawn. Save our time, please.

I can verify that patch 7.4a fixed the issue perfectly. I just completed the Republic side of the story (enjoyed it!) and everything is now fine. Pleasantly surprised Broadsword got this fixed so quickly.

Dasty

• 1 month later...