Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is it Time for a Big New Story Drop?

DWho

42 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

If a 3rd party were used I agree that it would not be one like KotFE / ET.  NO ... this time the 3rd party is setting up BOTH sides an framing each other leaving just enough "evidence" behind to do a proper job.

That was similar to shadow of revan expansion prelude then, with forged alliance and korriban incursion, assault of tython. Both sides attacking each other and then depth of manaan and legacy of the rakata.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Let me add that the story is the foundation. But they also need ti do a lot of work on the subsequent content that is already in the game to make it work better. Ie PvP, operations, GSF.

Yes we've said that! No doubt we need that.

20 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Let me add that the story is the foundation. But they also need ti do a lot of work on the subsequent content that is already in the game to make it work better. Ie PvP, operations, GSF.

I agree. Though I see what is now being spent on "expansions" being spent on maintaining the game's systems (essentially no cost to anyone playing all the previous content) while the new content is a purchased expansion. That approach gives so much more flexibility. I guess I see the game's budget as two different "buckets". An expansion budget which is new content  (and a paid upgrade) and a maintenance budget that comes out of things like monthly subs and CM sales.

Someone posted earlier that they went away from the paid expansion model a long time ago but really they didn't. Each "expansion" costs you $15 because you have to be subbed to gain access to it (that's exactly the same as a paid expansion because a paid expansion also gives you 1 month's game time). When we hit 7.3 you had to have been subbed for 4 months ($60). There hasn't been much new content for that $60.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xxSHOONYxx said:

That was similar to shadow of revan expansion prelude then, with forged alliance and korriban incursion, assault of tython. Both sides attacking each other and then depth of manaan and legacy of the rakata.

Hmmmmm

Yeah ... I can see that!  

But what I'm suggesting is that this is well enough planned out that this time ... no additional alliance.  IMO that is where the writing skills come in!  

[/grins sheepishly]

Ya know ... we could also include the alliance as a target to blame.  One big scramble up mess!  Only a Sith could come up with something this devious!  Sooo .. maybe in the end who knows who is going to come out on top!

War can be good for business! (34th rule of acquisition).  And if you happen to be the one stirring up the trouble (and supplying the RIGHT people...

(Just an idea)

Edited by OlBuzzard
clarification

1 hour ago, DWho said:

I agree. Though I see what is now being spent on "expansions" being spent on maintaining the game's systems (essentially no cost to anyone playing all the previous content) while the new content is a purchased expansion. That approach gives so much more flexibility. I guess I see the game's budget as two different "buckets". An expansion budget which is new content  (and a paid upgrade) and a maintenance budget that comes out of things like monthly subs and CM sales.

Someone posted earlier that they went away from the paid expansion model a long time ago but really they didn't. Each "expansion" costs you $15 because you have to be subbed to gain access to it (that's exactly the same as a paid expansion because a paid expansion also gives you 1 month's game time). When we hit 7.3 you had to have been subbed for 4 months ($60). There hasn't been much new content for that $60.

Yeah ...  Stop and think about it.  How many actual XP's has WoW had AND they charged for every single one of them.  (I just forked out $90 US to pre-order the next one).  AND during the last 11 years now how many times have those who have been with SWTOR paid for any new content.  

ZERO !!!!  What a wonderful business model!  

🤦‍♂️

• Thanks 1

Rule 35 Peace is also good for business. Honestly, although I know we will never get any new classes they should have done a Republic SIS storyline and a Republic and Imperial Navy Pilot Storyline. It will never happen I know this but both would be infinitely superior to the Smuggler (aka Firefly/Solo) light class story.

1 hour ago, DWho said:

When we hit 7.3 you had to have been subbed for 4 months ($60). There hasn't been much new content for that $60.

That’s not actually true. I was unsubbed & didn’t need to be subbed for 4 months to access 7.3.

And $15 isn’t really the cost of the expansion anymore, it’s maintenance money at this stage to keep the lights on. And while this may not have been the case 5+ years ago, we now have much less players to contribute $15 each month. So that $15 plus CM sales isn’t near enough for them to make enough content to even call what they’ve been giving us expansions. I would rate them no more than small DLC’s. 

Broadsword need to make changes to their business model if we want them to make proper expansions with all the stuff you & I have listed or want. $60 (local currencies) should be the bare minimum for any future expansion. But I would suggest they look more closely at WoW or FFXIV pricing structure. 

Of course, they would need to get some advance finance from EA or Lucas Arts to move to that sort of structure. Because they would need to hire way more people & pay for resource before they got the returns from players paying for the paid expansions. That is the only hurdle I can see for going to paid expansions. I don’t think there would be much push back from players who ALL want proper expansions.

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes the best way to do things is not to get more money but to spend what you do have differently. Honestly I think that's where we're going. Modernization is setting up a new foundation for the future. The new APAC server is also a huge step. Once they get all of the nuts and bolts done then they can grow. 

Just look what they've done with the new lighting effects and the dyes, they did mention in the LiveStream that they'd be using that new tech in other ways, so what else might be getting done under the hood to give us new stuff in other areas like PvP SF and OPS.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Rule 35 Peace is also good for business. Honestly, although I know we will never get any new classes they should have done a Republic SIS storyline and a Republic and Imperial Navy Pilot Storyline. It will never happen I know this but both would be infinitely superior to the Smuggler (aka Firefly/Solo) light class story.

I like the SIS idea dig around the suggestion box for a while and you'll run across a "Black OPs" (Republic and Empire sides both) I think it was posted around 2019 ??? 

And yeah ... you're probably right.  Not going to happen.

BTW... it could still be added at this point in time as a new class (if the right set of circumstances were to arise).  BOTH the Republic and Empire might see the necessity to activate a special division / task force.

Edited by OlBuzzard

7 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Sometimes the best way to do things is not to get more money but to spend what you do have differently. Honestly I think that's where we're going. Modernization is setting up a new foundation for the future. The new APAC server is also a huge step. Once they get all of the nuts and bolts done then they can grow. 

Just look what they've done with the new lighting effects and the dyes, they did mention in the LiveStream that they'd be using that new tech in other ways, so what else might be getting done under the hood to give us new stuff in other areas like PvP SF and OPS.

IMO someone inside of the organization should also remember the 57th Rule of Aquisition:  "Good customers are as rare as latinum:  Treasure them!"

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

The new APAC server is also a huge step

And yet, I feel like this was an afterthought to repurpose the PTS server. Because they’ve done no marketing or anything to get the message out to old & potentially new APAC players. If you aren’t currently a player or following a swtor SM influencer, you’ll have no way of knowing this server was even opened. 

They are missing a massive business opportunity to bring in new & old players alike from the APAC region. It’s a total failure of their marketing strategy & business plan if they think word of mouth is enough. Especially as most potential APAC players wouldn’t be following swtor news with obscure SM influencers who they’ve never heard of. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

And yet, I feel like this was an afterthought to repurpose the PTS server. Because they’ve done no marketing or anything to get the message out to old & potentially new APAC players. If you aren’t currently a player or following a swtor SM influencer, you’ll have no way of knowing this server was even opened. 

They are missing a massive business opportunity to bring in new & old players alike from the APAC region. It’s a total failure if their marketing strategy & business plan if they think word of mouth is enough. Especially as most potential APAC players wouldn’t be following swtor news with obscure SM influencers who they’ve never heard of. 

Seriously, I mean seriously, you just got a massive step forward and all you can say is they're not advertising enough. YouTube is full of it, and again the team on the forum is not the advertising team anyway. 

12 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Seriously, I mean seriously, you just got a massive step forward and all you can say is they're not advertising enough. YouTube is full of it, and again the team on the forum is not the advertising team anyway. 

I tend to agree with Trixie on this. They should of made a bigger deal out of it. Adding a server is a big deal to a game that has been cutting servers and only a few months ago, was all hot and bothered about needing mergers of the existing 5 servers. Whether it is a permanent change or only going to be short lived (like if they merge other servers), it is the kind of thing that can generate interest in the gaming community. "SWTOR is adding a server? What are they up to?"

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DWho said:

I tend to agree with Trixie on this. They should of made a bigger deal out of it. Adding a server is a big deal to a game that has been cutting servers and only a few months ago, was all hot and bothered about needing mergers of the existing 5 servers. Whether it is a permanent change or only going to be short lived (like if they merge other servers), it is the kind of thing that can generate interest in the gaming community. "SWTOR is adding a server? What are they up to?"

THIS ^^^

Say what ???  Adding a server???

What in the name of common sense is going on?  I thought this thing was about to go into maintenance mode?

IMO .. It's not too late either!  Make sure things are running smoothly ... give some time (etc) for subbed accounts (you know PAYING customers) to move in ... make a BIG DEAL out of it!

Then have a really good reason for the announcement ...  like maybe a new XP coming down the pipe with a fresh new story???

Yeah ... that would sell in a heartbeat!!

Edited by OlBuzzard
clarification
  • Like 1

Just now, JakRoanin said:

But doesn't the new server prove that the game is not going into maintenance mode! So, let's accentuate the positive here.

Exactly, that is why you need to shout it from the rooftops for all to hear

• Like 3

I feel like that was why the survey was dedicated to a portion of the Cartel Market (asking the players what they would like to see more, so that they can purchase that). They know they need money now, and now that Bioware isn't funnelling the profits they make into their own projects, they need to replenish the budget. 

Absolutely, a marketing failure on their behalf for not promoting APAC more, they just dropped it and left it there. They should of made an announcement, and waited a week for word to spread. Moreover, they should have promoted it through StarWars.com, and IGN etc, so the word can spread better. 

Seeing as the team is only 30-40 people now, it will require a lot of money for an upcoming expansion. They will need to hire 3rd party developers (but they have been doing this since 2.0), and they would want to try and rebuild their team that they used to have.

I think the APAC server is a good first step, but we now need more frequent updates (waiting 6 months from 6.3-6.4 is a bit ridiculous).

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

If you aren’t already a swtor fan, you have zero exposure to any of this. 

I’m not looking at this as a current player. I’m looking at it with my business management hat on. 

This is a massively wasted opportunity for Broadsword to expand their income & player base. But they’ve done nothing that I’ve seen to actually target the non playing APAC region. 

This has been handle very poorly from a marketing perspective & business plan. I would expect more from any trainee manager or trainee marketer in any business I was involved in. 

It was either a totally lack of leadership or they actually have no marketing department at all to do any of this anymore & have relied solely on Jackie’s limited SM influencers. 

It’s why I’ve tagged @JackieKo in the actual APAC thread and suggested some things they could do to get the message out to potential APAC players.

I want this to succeed as much or even more than anyone posting here. But it will only succeed if Broadsword stop treating the APAC server launch as an afterthought. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

But doesn't the new server prove that the game is not going into maintenance mode! So, let's accentuate the positive here.

Not necessarily. I have two theories, one that based on the data they have available, they know that their is a significant portion of APAC players who play this game, so it is far easier to provide them a server + with the recent AWS, the costings now are way way less. I am also presuming that a potential SS+SF merge will happen. So, that you will have one big NA server (maybe merge DM+Leviathan+TH, so you have one big EU server), and one APAC server. Thereby, you are hitting all the regions.

In the end if they do that, the price of providing an APAC server is minimal when you are basically getting rid of 3 servers. I heard that they are unable to get rid of Leviathan and Tulak Hord due to a contract (but I think that will disappear + they wouldn't have to pay the voice actors that voice the French and Germany dialogues). 

Overall, it is a win/win, in their books in making/saving money. The game will remain in maintenance mode until they get their budget replenished, and with only 30-40 people now in the team, they are unable to produce content as fast.

11 minutes ago, DWho said:

Exactly, that is why you need to shout it from the rooftops for all to hear

You beat me to it!

BTW... @JakRoanin ...  we're not on your case... soooo don't take it that way.

On the other hand I don't see the addition of the server as an afterthought either (I'm gonna catch it from BOTH sides)
🤦‍♂️

@DWho is exactly correct!  This is a GOLDEN opportunity (maybe with a small strip of latinum in the middle).

13 minutes ago, Cayerala said:

I feel like that was why the survey was dedicated to a portion of the Cartel Market (asking the players what they would like to see more, so that they can purchase that). They know they need money now, and now that Bioware isn't funnelling the profits they make into their own projects, they need to replenish the budget. 

Absolutely, a marketing failure on their behalf for not promoting APAC more, they just dropped it and left it there. They should of made an announcement, and waited a week for word to spread. Moreover, they should have promoted it through StarWars.com, and IGN etc, so the word can spread better. 

Seeing as the team is only 30-40 people now, it will require a lot of money for an upcoming expansion. They will need to hire 3rd party developers (but they have been doing this since 2.0), and they would want to try and rebuild their team that they used to have.

I think the APAC server is a good first step, but we now need more frequent updates (waiting 6 months from 6.3-6.4 is a bit ridiculous).

Excellent!  High marks on ALL points!!!

27 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Not really. They had the server resource allocation already under the PTS. You’ll notice that they waited till the PTS went down to add the APAC server. Just like they did last time the PTS was up. They also gave only 24 hour notice to say it’s opening. And they did it on a Friday (APAC time), instead of at the start of the week. 

My concern is this is just an experiment to see if their new economy changes actually work on a fresh server. If the server population increases and is successful, they’ll keep it. But if it’s not, they’ll say, see, there is not enough APAC support & they’ll move it back to being a PTS server & they’ll have collected their data on the economy.

Honestly my gut feeling at the moment is they are setting it up to fail by not supporting the launch with proper marketing to the APAC region. If this ends up being true, it will alienate even more players. As well as being a massive missed opportunity to increase their income stream. 

34 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

On the other hand I don't see the addition of the server as an afterthought either (I'm gonna catch it from BOTH sides)

I didn’t mean adding the server was an afterthought. I meant treating the actual launch itself as an afterthought. It’s like they did all the technical stuff & totally forget about the marketing you do for a launch.

Even 7.4 got a live stream & marketing plan & it’s still a month away. But it’s like they totally forgot that a new server in a new region would require way more marketing effort than they did for 7.4 to actually reach old & new players. (And no, I’m not suggesting they do a seperate live stream. But you can’t tell me they didn’t already have new server plan ready when the 7.4 live stream was done). 

Theyve totally relied on Jackie to rangle her SM influences & made a website post & that’s it. Even logging into the game screen only says Keith’s got a message. Instead of saying as loud as possible, “we have a new APAC server”. 

My best guess is they don’t have anyone anymore that has any clue about marketing or messaging. If that’s the case, they need to hire some marketing interns because it’s going to detrimentally affect their income stream if this is their marketing plan moving forward. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

5 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

The PTS is still active right now, but @JackieKo is the Community Manager not the Publicist or Marketing Head so why put more on her plate?

Im pretty sure the PTS isn’t active. But maybe I’m wrong 🤷🏻‍♀️. I’m not going to try & download it to find out. But I do remember seeing a post over a week ago from Jackie to say they were taking it down. 

And Im not putting more on her plate. She is the community manager & our direct contact to management & the devs. Everything goes through her, unless you have some other means to contact them?

Any suggestions Im making for marketing are for her to pass onto the appropriate people or at least start a conversation with them. Because it seems like they’ve only relied on her  organising the SM influences & making some forum posts. 

FYI, I usually follow Jackie on twitter (X) for different reasons other than swtor. But I’ve seen her post more about other stuff (including playing other games) than I’ve seen her post about the new swtor server. As community manager, I’m a little disappointed to not see her more involved on twitter X to push the server hype (maybe I’m being too harsh, maybe she’s promoting on other SM I don’t use or maybe that’s not her directive from management 🤷🏻‍♀️). 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.