Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

An update on the development of SWTOR

KeithKanneg

Just now, jedimasterjac said:

EA’s still the publisher, though. They’re just shifting to a development studio that they don’t own. 

Basically that mean EA is currently selling the game. If  they can't find a potential buyer then the game will shut down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kazjan said:

Guild Wars 2 get regular expansion and had one of the most successful expansion this past year.  The game has rebounded if you haven't played i suggest giving it go. STO in general has improved expansion over Expansion. I didn't say it was great I said it improved since a new studio took over.

I have an LTS with STO .. very seldom mess with it!  It's pretty much dead!

4 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

A good possibility!

Soooo who is Broadsword?  Are they connected to EA in any way?  Will they be able to maintain the game as they see fit?   I rather suspect that some items (such as the CM) will probably just fade away.  IMO that was EA's cash cow!  

So many questions!

I bet the U-Tube speculators go nuts the next few days with this bombshell!

From quick research, Broadsword has about 26 devs and for the past few years have maintain mmos, it's added new content, but mostly they fix bugs, make changes, but nothing massive. This is just from a quick search so maybe i'm wrong.  it's not connected to EA I don't think. No idea on if they be able to maintain it, that will be a wait and see thing.

Just now, jedimasterjac said:

They’ve already found the studio that’s going to pick it up. They have a letter of intent. And it’s a terrible studio. 

To be fair games have been known to bounce between several studio's when they enter a point like this, but usually they are earlier on in their development cycle, so unlikely it will bounce to another one after this. RIP

• Thanks 1

Just now, emilydeylan said:

To be fair games have been known to bounce between several studio's when they enter a point like this, but usually they are earlier on in their development cycle, so unlikely it will bounce to another one after this

I can’t imagine this game would be appealing to a lot of studios. Aside from the IP, it’s notoriously difficult and expensive to develop for. The fact that Broadsword is the best they can find tells you all you need to know. 

4 minutes ago, commanderwar said:

From quick research, Broadsword has about 26 devs and for the past few years have maintain mmos, it's added new content, but mostly they fix bugs, make changes, but nothing massive. This is just from a quick search so maybe i'm wrong.  it's not connected to EA I don't think. No idea on if they be able to maintain it, that will be a wait and see thing.

3 minutes ago, jedimasterjac said:

I can’t imagine this game would be appealing to a lot of studios. Aside from the IP, it’s notoriously difficult and expensive to develop for. The fact that Broadsword is the best they can find tells you all you need to know. 

Yep. at least this means i can enjoy my CM items and Stories for at least another year before i fully swap over to FF14 and WoW

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, commanderwar said:

Kind of what I suspected.  This whole switch-over to the cloud stuff and the 64 bit change was just to make it possible for the transition to take place.  Otherwise, NOBODY would have messed with SWTOR as it was.

[/shrugs]

Oh well .. time to move on now.  This is beyond anything that any of us can do to change the outcome.  What's done is done!

Just now, OlBuzzard said:

Kind of what I suspected.  This whole switch-over to the cloud stuff and the 64 bit change was just to make it possible for the transition to take place.  Otherwise, NOBODY would have messed with SWTOR as it was.

[/shrugs]

Oh well .. time to move on now.  This is beyond anything that any of us can do to change the outcome.  What's done is done!

Exactly, still want a proper cry over it though, its been apart of my life for 12 years.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jedimasterjac said:

Broadsword is where EA sends mmos that they don't want anymore. Ultima and dark age of camelot were both owned by ea.

Must be "tough" for EA to say to their investors their game is failing, so better to send it to a graveyard and whatever happens is those developers and not EA. This way since they are the publisher they still earn a % of the earnings with no investment

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, emilydeylan said:

I know this is a bad time to ask.. but are we still getting that Stronghold that was promised before the move?

You will get it. Same as the new season of ranked pvp and nim r4 that was promised and canceled 

• Haha 1

My sympathy goes out to the SWTOR dev team.  I'm sure this was not welcome news and they are trying to figure out what they need to do for the future (transition to Broadsword if given that option or start looking for new job inside or outside of EA).

I've wondered why they were taking so long to make the server transition to AWS.  EA management did a convincing job of allowing BioWare to move forward with 64-bit client and planning for transition to AWS so that everyone, BioWare Austin included, would not suspect a significant change was being evaluated.  But EA has obviously decided it's time to cut SWTOR loose and let Broadsword take over.  I'll just have to wait and see how things develop to make determination if I feel it's worth it to continue paying to play SWTOR.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

I'll just have to wait and see how things develop to make determination if I feel it's worth it to continue paying to play SWTOR.

Same here. Unfortunately my subscription was renewed 3 days ago, I would not have renewed it if I already knew the news. Luckily, it had changed to just 30 days. I'm going to cancel and wait to see what happens until I put money back into the game.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure what the future holds for SWTOR, but I do know that the past several years playing the game have been wonderful. I really hope that the game will continue to exist and get updates, but understand that might not be the case. Regardless of what happens to the game though, I wish the devs whether they move with the game, stay where they're at, or move on to something new the best of luck and want to say thanks for all the memories thus far. 

• Like 4

Great. And as soon as I started biting the bullet and looking for a guild.

Here's hoping any Galaxies-esque communities after this game's inevitable dev abandonment are able to thrive.

Edited by Gamer_Auto
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, emilydeylan said:

GWS2 hardly gets updates, and STO doesn't have end game content beyond upgrade/pay for your ships upgrades to fight more mobs.

That's not true actually about that game "hardly" getting updates. It certainly gets lots of patches and has content flowing for the players to experience. It might not be every month that there is story, but it consistently gets bugfixes and additions.

31 minutes ago, Kazjan said:

Yup, I knew it. Been here since the beginning and I could tell by how the patches and updates that something was off.  But let's not get too worried because look at Guild War 2 when they move studio the game move from F Quality to B+ Quality. Same with Star Trek Online and many other games.  We will have to wait and see what the future holds.  

ArenaNet has been the developer of the Guild Wars franchise since it was created. Mind you, it did get bought by NCSoft (the publisher) in 2002.

You feel that? That heart breaking solemnness? Exactly how some of us felt when the shutdown of SWG was announced. This makes sad to say I lived through yet another Star Wars MMO.  Maybe, just maybe, they release the source code and the game continues as an emulator. Come September, when my sub' lapses, I plan to move on to Starfield. 

Edited by TonyTricicolo
  • Like 2

Also if anyone cares here is EA response to IGN article

IGN: After the publication of this story, EA addressed the news in the following statement:

“Almost 12 years after launch, Star Wars: The Old Republic remains a success and continues to grow its dedicated and passionate community. We’re so proud of the work the team has done, and the future of the game and the community continues to be very bright. We’re evaluating how we give the game and the team the best opportunity to grow and evolve, which includes conversations with Broadsword, a boutique studio that specializes in delivering online, community-driven experiences. Our goal is to do what is best for the game and its players.”

20 minutes ago, AlacrityFitzhugh said:

I'm kinda torn. One the one hand this could be good for the game, on the other hand Broadsword totally gutted the PVE game from DAoC.

If I had to guess I would rather suspect basic maintenance mode ... with maybe a few trinkets along the way.  It's no longer about investment / return / growth.  That is past now!

It's still a bit stunning to see it.  BUT to be perfectly candid about it I really can't say that I'm totally surprised!

I guess I'll try to set up some good screen shots of my companions ...  SH stuff... and favorite places I've been.  (Yes I have photoshop to complete the work).

3 minutes ago, commanderwar said:

Also if anyone cares here is EA response to IGN article

IGN: After the publication of this story, EA addressed the news in the following statement:

“Almost 12 years after launch, Star Wars: The Old Republic remains a success and continues to grow its dedicated and passionate community. We’re so proud of the work the team has done, and the future of the game and the community continues to be very bright. We’re evaluating how we give the game and the team the best opportunity to grow and evolve, which includes conversations with Broadsword, a boutique studio that specializes in delivering online, community-driven experiences. Our goal is to do what is best for the game and its players.”

That last line is totally laughable!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.