Where is Our Solo Queue for PVP?

Chryptyk

The last thing BW wants is new PvP players to come to the game and have a good time. That would result in more and more players playing PvP and then BW would have to invest actual time into doing something real with PvP. They want you to have the worst possible experience as a new player to PvP. They want you up against a 5-6 man premade of former ranked Arena players that trap you in your spawn area and focus you the instant you drop down. They want you to never play PvP again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The sentiment of "I don't want to be on a team" troubles me. It's an mmo. At this point I'm beating a dead horse but it's a lot more fun meeting friends and playing pvp with ppl than it is playing solo. I play solo around 80 or 90% of the time these days, and I do have fun but nothing replaces the early days on Bastion when we had big pvp guilds and would all hop in voice talk smack and pvp together with the guildies. You actually make memories and friends doing that instead of just hopping on and grinding wzs/arenas for some rewards. Honestly that's what is missing in this whole equation the fun aspect. Rewards should be secondary to getting the dopamine hit from having a good time pvping. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

The last thing BW wants is new PvP players to come to the game and have a good time

I have to ask the question if a brand new player should be able to just hop into pvp and and be able to dominate. What constitutes fun in pvp to you? Winning matches? Killing people? Maximizing your class and doing good numbers? The answer is different to all ppl.

I'm going to use sports as an analogy because pvp is a competitive game mode. If you show up to the park to play futbol for example and you aren't prepared, you are wearing jeans and tennis shoes. The other competitors there are seasoned veteran players with football boots and proper equipment. Do you think ur gonna score a bunch of goals and win a lot? No, that's not going to happen, especially if ur playing against a team that knows how to play together and are coordinated. They will have certain advantages. It's on you to match those advantages if you want to compete at that level. 

3 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

They want you up against a 5-6 man premade of former ranked Arena players that trap you in your spawn area and focus you the instant you drop down. They want you to never play PvP again.

Again are your motives in the right place? Did you start playing pvp because the reward track and it's basically just a grind it out and get it over with scenario? You'll never have a good time with that outlook. There are some very difficult premades so I can see that aspect of it not being very fun, however to anyone who complains about this type of thing, if you really enjoy pvp do u just want instant gratification or are you interested in the competitive nature and willing to put in some work to get better? Premades aren't reserved for any one player. You have the same advantages anyone else in game has. Figure out how to gear, learn a proper rotation, learn ur dcds, learn what other classes can do and how to defend against that. Get friends who pvp, become a better team. Get in voice comms, support eachother at a higher level, get the right comps ect. I can assure you that progressing to the point where u can compete with those premades will be far more fulfilling than getting ur set of gear from the pvp reward track and having no fun getting beat up while grinding it out. 

Now I'm not saying there aren't issues with matchmaking as it currently stands. 8 man premades were a bad idea, when anyone who had pvp'd previously knows that a 4 man group could dominate. However this idea that a new player should be able to hop into a match completely unprepared while also being averse to playing on a team or making friends, is preposterous to say the least. 

Tldr: your results will reflect what you put into pvp for the most part. Qqing on the forums to try and persuade the devs to make it easier because u don't have the motivation to compete shouldn't be the solution. 

Edited by Samcuu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Samcuu said:

I have to ask the question if a brand new player should be able to just hop into pvp and and be able to dominate. What constitutes fun in pvp to you? Winning matches? Killing people? Maximizing your class and doing good numbers? The answer is different to all ppl.

I'm going to use sports as an analogy because pvp is a competitive game mode. If you show up to the park to play futbol for example and you aren't prepared, you are wearing jeans and tennis shoes. The other competitors there are seasoned veteran players with football boots and proper equipment. Do you think ur gonna score a bunch of goals and win a lot? No, that's not going to happen, especially if ur playing against a team that knows how to play together and are coordinated. They will have certain advantages. It's on you to match those advantages if you want to compete at that level. 

Every other sport, every single competitive endeavor in the world gives people an onramp that matches them with players of similar skills. You don't start basketball in the NBA, you don't start chess playing against GMs, you don't start swimming against Olympic athletes. You have divisions, groups, that bring you along step-by-step. Every. Single. One. So, I have no idea what the heck you're talking about.

Throwing new players in against fully geared, 10-year 100 valor players is just dumb. 

1 hour ago, Samcuu said:

Now I'm not saying there aren't issues with matchmaking as it currently stands. 8 man premades were a bad idea, when anyone who had pvp'd previously knows that a 4 man group could dominate. However this idea that a new player should be able to hop into a match completely unprepared while also being averse to playing on a team or making friends, is preposterous to say the least. 

Tldr: your results will reflect what you put into pvp for the most part. Qqing on the forums to try and persuade the devs to make it easier because u don't have the motivation to compete shouldn't be the solution. 

Oh, you misunderstand. I'm the 10 year 100 valor vet kicking your a$$.  I'm also the guy that would like to see more people playing PvP so the game flourishes.  

Edited by StrikePrice
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, StrikePrice said:

Every other sport, every single competitive endeavor in the world gives people an onramp that matches them with players of similar skills. You don't start basketball in the NBA, you don't start chess playing against GMs, you don't start swimming against Olympic athletes. You have divisions, groups, that bring you along step-by-step. Every. Single. One. So, I have no idea what the heck you're talking about.

Throwing new players in against fully geared, 10-year 100 valor players is just dumb. 

Those concerns while valid, aren't a conversation at this point. There are ppl who's main activity in swtor is to pvp. Those ppl used to be focused on ranked where they'd have to finish a minimum of 200 arenas in a season to even achieve a ranking. Ranked doesn't exist and bioware decided it was a good idea to divert those players into the normal queue vs more casual types. Right now it is what it is. Would a solo queue alleviate the issue. Yes it would to a certain extent you'd still get those players solo queuing and if you are unlucky with the matchmaking algorithm there will be steam roll matches. A solo queue would also be a massive detrement to the mmo aspect of the game mode, and would impact healers and tanks exponentially. These support roles rely on teammates to help them survive and be effective. You'd hardly see healers in a solo queue considering how nobody pays attention to peeling as is. 

As someone who's been pvping since launch, and has a lot of experience solo queuing, I rarely see these types of matches where ur just stuck at the spawn. The issue there is that you've got a group of very good players who are grouped up, maybe even two groups (matchmaking could fix that sometimes) vs a whole team of the unprepared types. The root of these matches happening more often than not is that the base level of player skill in pvp today is extremely low. That's because of the attitude exhibited by the OP. "I don't wanna group I just wanna get in warzones and win". 

There's not just one issue, it's a bit of both. Some classes are far overturned atm, ppl take advantage of that and class stack. Not every class is viable in pvp that's a bioware issue that needs to be fixed. Also 8 man groups should never happen. The pvp population is low we need cross server queues to match the premades against eachother, as I know premades especially on low pop servers are unavoidable sometimes. 

Many things can be done by the devs, but it's that doesn't excuse the player's responsibilities to be competitive and do what they can in their power to ensure their own success. There's not a button to push that magically fixes everything, like a solo queue. 

Edited by Samcuu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Samcuu said:

Those concerns while valid, aren't a conversation at this point. There are ppl who's main activity in swtor is to pvp. Those ppl used to be focused on ranked where they'd have to finish a minimum of 200 arenas in a season to even achieve a ranking. Ranked doesn't exist and bioware decided it was a good idea to divert those players into the normal queue vs more casual types. Right now it is what it is. Would a solo queue alleviate the issue. Yes it would to a certain extent you'd still get those players solo queuing and if you are unlucky with the matchmaking algorithm there will be steam roll matches. A solo queue would also be a massive detrement to mmo aspect of game mode, and would impact healers and tanks exponentially, the support roles who rely on teammates to help them survive and be effective. 

As someone who's been pvping since launch, and has a lot of experience solo queuing, I rarely see these types of matches where ur just stuck at the spawn. The issue there is that you've got a group of very good players who are grouped up, maybe even two groups (matchmaking could fix that sometimes) vs a whole team of the unprepared types. The root of these matches happening more often than not is that the base level of player skill in pvp today is extremely low. That's because of the attitude exhibited by the OP. "I don't wanna group I just wanna get in warzones and win". 

There's not just one issue, it's a bit of both. Some classes are far overturned atm, ppl take advantage of that and class stack. Not every class is viable in pvp that's a bioware issue that needs to be fixed. Also 8 man groups should never happen. The pvp population is low we need cross server queues to match the premades against eachother, as I know premades especially on low pop servers are unavoidable sometimes. 

Many things can be done by the devs, but it's that doesn't excuse the player's responsibilities to be competitive and do what they can in their power to ensure their own success. There's not a button to push that magically fixes everything, like a solo queue. 

Nah. You don't pvp. 

43 minutes ago, StrikePrice said:

Oh, you misunderstand. I'm the 10 year 100 valor vet kicking your a$$.  I'm also the guy that would like to see more people playing PvP so the game flourishes.  

Okay cool I guess, im not going to engage with that kinda talk because I have nothing to prove. In any event,  What would motivate ppl to get better at pvp tho? Ranked doesn't exist anymore so there's no reason to be any good. The will to improve and beat up on the other team is really the only incentive there is because u get the rewards regardless just by participating. Again if you show up to the park to play football and ur losing a lot, if you actually enjoy playing you are going to want to improve so you can make a difference. Making some good plays, scoring some goals, winning some matches, is gonna go a long way at the end of the day to help u feel good about the way you played, and heighten ur enjoyment...win or lose tbh. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

That's because of the attitude exhibited by the OP. "I don't wanna group I just wanna get in warzones and win". 

I never said that.  I said i want a solo queue, as do a lot of people.  Considering we've seen it brought up over and over,

3 hours ago, Samcuu said:

At this point I'm beating a dead horse

I know i'm not alone in that sentiment, for whatever reasons people want.  I just don't care for being on a premade or playing against them.  i want a pure solo queue so that the chances of even matches is far superior to what we have now.

I'm not saying you can't group up with friends.  If you wanna, great.  I just don't wanna be anywhere near those groups.  Adding a solo queue DOES NOT prevent people from grouping up.  I don't want any part of it because group queues are inherently unbalancing.

At the moment, premades are supposed to hypothetically get put against other premades.  What i'm saying is that premades should ONLY be matched against other premades.  If the premades are not big enough, the system should just combine them together to generate a match, but only with the other premmies. 

The solos don't wanna be a part of them.  Let the premmies duke it out and farm whatever numbers they can, and let the solos do their thing on their own.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Samcuu said:

Okay cool I guess, im not going to engage with that kinda talk because I have nothing to prove. In any event,  What would motivate ppl to get better at pvp tho? Ranked doesn't exist anymore so there's no reason to be any good. The will to improve and beat up on the other team is really the only incentive there is because u get the rewards regardless just by participating. Again if you show up to the park to play football and ur losing a lot, if you actually enjoy playing you are going to want to improve so you can make a difference. Making some good plays, scoring some goals, winning some matches, is gonna go a long way at the end of the day to help u feel good about the way you played, and heighten ur enjoyment...win or lose tbh. 

You make 0 sense. lol

25 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

What is your issue with playing in a premade with other players exactly?

I don't group with others for pvp because i like fair, even fights.  Premades skew the balance, and encourage and reinforce and amplify toxic behaviors.  When i PVP with friends, we don't group together.  we all queue separately and let luck decide which team we end up on.  On the same team or not, we hang out in voice and cut up and whatnot still.  we're not codependent and need other people on our team to have fun.  we have even more fun fighting against each other.  we also don't need other people to feel good about ourselves or to ensure we win.  if we lose, oh well, just queue again.  winning just helps get weeklies done faster.

also personally, i don't like having to wait for other people to queue together.  i like to queue whenever i want, not when its convenient for others.  nor do i like having to wait if someone's work, family or whatever wants to interrupt and then we have to wait because we're queuing as a group.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Chryptyk said:

I don't group with others for pvp because i like fair, even fights.  Premades skew the balance, and encourage and reinforce and amplify toxic behaviors.  When i PVP with friends, we don't group together.  we all queue separately and let luck decide which team we end up on.  On the same team or not, we hang out in voice and cut up and whatnot still.  we're not codependent and need other people on our team to have fun.  we have even more fun fighting against each other.  we also don't need other people to feel good about ourselves or to ensure we win.  if we lose, oh well, just queue again.  winning just helps get weeklies done faster.

also personally, i don't like having to wait for other people to queue together.  i like to queue whenever i want, not when its convenient for others.  nor do i like having to wait if someone's work, family or whatever wants to interrupt and then we have to wait because we're queuing as a group.

Trying to make an mmo "fair" especially pvp is an impossible task. Just look at the class balance. Sure in a perfect world all specs/classes would be equally viable but they are not. There are haves and have nots. Same with pvp, you are afforded every luxury every other player has. You enjoy a different experience. I personally enjoy going against premades. Every so often u get on the team that doesn't pop dcds and can't even make it out of the spawn, and that's not fun. However I think the middle ground is reducing the premade size to 4 and getting on with it. 

At the end of the day this is an mmo. Mmo psychology will tell u that the two most important aspects to an mmo for the dopamine hit is achievement and the social aspect. That's what keeps ppl playing. Imo the achievement side is improving ur play and eventually defeating those pesky premades, along with the social aspect and pf working as a team. I get where ur coming from tho I don't really have time to play with friends like I did at launch so I find myself solo most of the time. However I think biowares intentions are pretty clear. No other reason to increase the max group size to 8 unless they were trying to get ppl to be social and group up to play together. 

Everyone has their own play style so no offense to you but I really hope bioware don't listen. Again the compromise would be a 4 man group max.

Edited by Samcuu
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Samcuu said:

The sentiment of "I don't want to be on a team" troubles me. It's an mmo

But you are in a team, even in a solo queue, maybe with people you know, maybe not. You are still playing with other people, so it is still an MMO feature. Which is the same in most other MMO PvP games. So I’m not sure what troubles you 🤷🏻‍♀️

If you mean organising & specifically playing with only people you know, well no one is suggesting taking that away for you. The game can accommodate both.

And when you consider how time poor people can be these days with different schedules or RL pressures, it’s not always possible to co-ordinate with friends to play PvP at the time you’re all available. So people are forced to queue solo if they want to PvP or they have to wait for friends.

Players should have the option to opt in or out of playing with or against premade groups. BioWare could provides a seperate queue or just add a toggle so that solo players can switch it on & off before they queue to decide wether they want to only be in solo only matches. This gives solo players some agency & they aren’t forced into matches with premades.

Personally, I’m more in favour of the toggle system. Then it’s up to me wether I wait longer in the queue for a solo only match or take whatever pops first. And I don’t mind waiting longer for solo only matches. I can do some GTN Trading while I wait.

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Samcuu said:

What is your issue with playing in a premade with other players exactly? 

You do realise that the majority of players queue solo. It seems the only people who have an issue with players asking for a solo only queue are people who premade 🤷🏻‍♀️.

No one is trying to take your precious premade experience away from you. All their asking for is to also have an option to play their preferred playing experience too. 

So what’s your issue with allowing solo players to have a solo queue 🤷🏻‍♀️. It won’t affect you playing other premades. 

Plus BioWare spent several years driving away PvP guilds & MMO players. They turned this game into more of a solo centric experience for story players. And now the overwhelming majority of the player base are solo players. It’s about time BioWare acknowledged this & accommodated these players with a solo only PvP option. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Samcuu said:

you'd still get those players solo queuing and if you are unlucky with the matchmaking algorithm there will be steam roll matches

There is nothing stopping BioWare from using a proper ELO matchmaking system that they used for ranked except the presence of premades. Once you add premades to the queue, the matchmaking goes out the window. 

But in a solo only system, the ELO system can be fully implemented. After 10 matches, people’s ELO would help determine what their skill lvl is & then the algorithm can put similar skilled players on both teams. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

You do realise that the majority of players queue solo. It seems the only people who have an issue with players asking for a solo only queue are people who premade 🤷🏻‍♀️.

No one is trying to take your precious premade experience away from you. All their asking for is to also have an option to play their preferred playing experience too. 

So what’s your issue with allowing solo players to have a solo queue 🤷🏻‍♀️. It won’t affect you playing other premades. 

Plus BioWare spent several years driving away PvP guilds & MMO players. They turned this game into more of a solo centric experience for story players. And now the overwhelming majority of the player base are solo players. It’s about time BioWare acknowledged this & accommodated these players with a solo only PvP option. 

First off I've said multiple times here I queue solo 90% of the time. I queue very rarely with a couple of friends I have that don't sub to swtor often anymore. And yeah that was the point I was getting at in regards to making an mmo into a solo player game. They did that with other aspects and have been bleeding subs ever since. Again if you want a successful mmo achievements with your friends/guild has always been the recipe. Ill advised to shy away from that. Which bioware has done, implementing a solo queue is only going to compound those already bad decisions. Again thats why my assumption was they upped groups to 8 man from 4. Any other ideas as to why they'd possible do such a thing? Pretty sure it was to encourage ppl to group lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Samcuu said:

What would motivate ppl to get better at pvp tho?

That’s a good question. That is at odds with the current system.

But maybe it’s not about motivating them. But more about giving them the tools & safer space to get better.

If BioWare offered that, then players get better over time because they want to play & have fun.

Currently the system is not fun for a large cohort of players & is actually turning new & old players away.

The only reason there are any numbers in the queue is the seasons. Take that away & I think PvP would die in its current format or at least be very unhealthy.

The will to improve and beat up on the other team is really the only incentive there is because u get the rewards regardless just by participating

That’s not motivation to get better. That’s just straight up promoting bullying behaviour. Which isn’t enticing to new players & actually goes against BioWares intended strategy of making PvP less toxic & more inviting to new players. 

The way to motivate players IMO is to make PvP fun again. And to do that. the system needs to be perceived as accommodating & as fair as possible.

When new players see they are being put against premades, the perception is the game isn’t fair & is stacked against them learning, so why bother getting better. Those players will never learn to love PvP. They are just tolerating it to get rewards & then they are gone. 

The other problem is the matchmaking, which can never work properly while ever there are premades mixed in the queue. Once again new & old players are turn off getting better or even playing when they see how badly the system puts teams together. And People aren’t rewarded for increasing their skills or playing better by being put with/against equally skilled players.

It goes both ways too. Veteran players often get lumped with new green players they are expected to some how carry against mediocre premades. So their experience is also being degraded. 

BioWare need to make changes or the seasons thing will ultimately fail. They could start this season by just reducing the premade size limits back to 4 man. But for future seasons, they need to give solo players an option to play only solo players. But that only fixes part of the issue & doesn’t add motivation to get better or an on ramp to getting better.

If they really want to build the community properly, they need to give it the tools & systems to do so. A start would be making lowbie PvP relevant again as a learning bracket before ever stepping into end game PvP, which is what lvl 85 is. Lowbie PvP could also be a path to gearing up for end game PvP, the way it used to be. Then BioWare could gear gate lvl 85 so people are geared up properly for end game PvP.

The next step is to incentivise/motivate players to get better. That can happen by linking the medal system & rewards together in a way that the more medals you get, the better your match rewards are. So even if you lose, but top the medals, you may still get more or better rewards than someone on the winning team who didn’t get as many medals. 

Just separating premades & solos wont fix all the problems or motivate players to get better. But it would make the system less stressful & more enjoyable for a large cohort of players. 

36 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

point I was getting at in regards to making an mmo into a solo player game. They did that with other aspects and have been bleeding subs ever since

If they really wanted to build up the MMO player base again, they’d need to spend a lot more money & resources than just making these small changes to pvp. Something they just don’t have or are able to do. They would need to ramp up Raid development again with more regular instalments & implement a proper progression system. 

We have to accept that EA are never going to give BioWare the money & resources required to bring back proper MMO progression players or add enough content to bring back more casual MMO players or add another ranked system for competitive PvP players. 

The best we can hope for is them making the game around the player base they have. And sadly, that is mostly dominated by single/solo players.

This might work in SF but in SS the server just doesn't have the numbers. I hate arenas but if I'm pvping I'll queue for arenas as well as warzones to increase the chance of a pop. Otherwise I might be waiting a long time. I hate premmies as much as the next player--well, other than the obvious premmie plant--but I don't see a way to avoid them, unless the existence of a toggle served as a deterrent to reduce the number of premmies that queue, forcing them to go solo and conditioning that behavior out of the game. It might work. On the other hand, if conditioning undesired behaviors worked...we thought when they got rid of ranked that all the toxic ranked players would realize they weren't welcome anymore and leave and they are unfortunately not going anywhere. Indeed, as others have pointed out they are the reason premmies have gone from being relatively rare to now being a constant problem. 

What would motivate ppl to get better at pvp tho?

If PvP people aren't such toxic d*ck heads.

I'm sorry for the blanket term, but when most of the time you got at least one person insulting everyone for losing, I don't want to "get good", I just want to finish the daily and f off.

Doing PvP S2 is the biggest mistake I've made. Especially arena. I'll certainly not do it again (no decos are worth it) if BW didn't put GSF as part of their future tracks.

17 minutes ago, Ardrossan said:

This might work in SF but in SS the server just doesn't have the numbers. I hate arenas but if I'm pvping I'll queue for arenas as well as warzones to increase the chance of a pop. Otherwise I might be waiting a long time. I hate premmies as much as the next player--well, other than the obvious premmie plant--but I don't see a way to avoid them, unless the existence of a toggle served as a deterrent to reduce the number of premmies that queue, forcing them to go solo and conditioning that behavior out of the game. It might work. On the other hand, if conditioning undesired behaviors worked...we thought when they got rid of ranked that all the toxic ranked players would realize they weren't welcome anymore and leave and they are unfortunately not going anywhere. Indeed, as others have pointed out they are the reason premmies have gone from being relatively rare to now being a constant problem. 

If some servers are already having this problem, how long until BioWare merge them? You also have to wonder if there would be more people playing if they had a solo only option. 

I’m among a cohort of PvP players who are currently boycotting PvP because of the way BioWare have increased premade sizes to 8 man & haven’t made a real effort to stop putting premades against or with solo players.

Then there are the new players who have been totally put off PvP because of the bad experiences they are having under the current PvP systems. 

Myself & others warned Bioware that the seasons system they setup under 7.3 would fail if they didn’t make changes to the premade & matchmaking setup.

Their idea was good to bring in new pvpers. But it’s failing because of a number of issues & one of the main ones is premades. 

So they first poisoned their own plan by adding 8 man premades against pugs 🤦‍♀️. Then they added a deserter lockout for players who want to get away from premades 🤯. At the same time the class balance, gearing system & matchmaking are just as bad.

So new pvpers take one look, stay for the rewards if they really want them. But take off as fast as they can as soon as they get the rewards because PvP isn’t fun for them in its current state. 

Those that stay dont seem to try to get better & that drives more veteran players away from the game. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

17 minutes ago, eabevella said:

Doing PvP S2 is the biggest mistake I've made. Especially arena. I'll certainly not do it again (no decos are worth it)

I think season 3 will be a total flop if BioWare don’t make some drastic changes. The first 2 seasons can be seen as a new system & players are giving BioWare a chance to build on & improve seasons. But if they continue to ignore the player feedback on how to improve it, then less people will participate in season 3 & PvP will turn into a toxic soup.

1 minute ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I think season 3 will be a total flop if BioWare don’t make some drastic changes. The first 2 seasons can be seen as a new system & players are giving BioWare a chance to build on & improve seasons. But if they continue to ignore the player feedback on how to improve it, then less people will participate in season 3 & PvP will turn into a toxic soup.

I gave my PvP S2 experience 1/10 because of the toxic players in Arena.

I won't waste ~1hr of my playtime on PvP when I can do something interesting or at least rewarding.

Player toxicity is probably not something BW can change, but they can certainly change something about the scoring system because I get Warzone and Arena with about the same frequency but I always finish the Warzone objective faster. And adding GSF might ease the pain. If not, I'll just pretend it doens't exist after I have enough tokens to buy the black/white crystal.