Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Launcher infinitely selfrestarting

Henyk

On 5/9/2023 at 11:52 PM, CommunityTeam said:

Hi folks, 

Thanks for the reports regarding the launcher. 

Due to a launcher update issue, a few players can encounter a looping issue: When opening the SWTOR launcher it opens and closed several times in a row. Players need to let the launcher go into the loop as it will fix by itself. 

Do not hesitate to answer to this thread if your issue is now fixed and if you still encounter the issue, we invite you to send the content of the following link: http://cdn-d6patch.swtor.com/swtor/launcher/alias.json to support@swtor.com.

• Be sure to use the following title: Looping issue with the SWTOR launcher, include your account name and use the email address associated with your account name

EDIT: removed CDN link troublshooting step

I have a similar, yet different issue. Not sure if it’s related to you trying to fix this or if need to make another thread.

I can put my user name & password in to launch the launcher.
But when the launcher opens, I only have the announcement like pop-up that opens sometimes & covers the actual game launcher.
There is no close button on the bottom left as usual & moving the pop up doesn’t reveal the launcher.
So I can’t actually click on the enter button to go into the game. 
I tested this on another Pc my account it doesn’t have this problem on it. 

16 hours ago, HISPANION said:

Hi team! I am still trapped in this screen https://imgur.com/a/vJrsMIy have any found a solution I still can't play!

@JackieKo I’m having this the exact same problem as the image this player has linked, except I don’t even have the exit button on the bottom left to try & close it. https://imgur.com/a/vJrsMIy 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

10 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm consolidating info for all of you in this post. As of now, these are steps the team is suggesting players take to resolve this issue: 

1. If the launcher of in a loop, please wait a few minutes to see if the launcher updates and fixes itself. If it does not resolve on its own, go to step 2. 
  2. Download the SWTOR installer from here
    • Run it and click on Repair
    • It should look like this 
    • image.thumb.png.fffaac91179aab396b2e8be6a2089a82.png
    • If this step does not work, please proceed to step 3
  3. Go to your installation directory and delete the two files that end with metafile.json. That should trigger an update that will look for the most recent launcher release.
    • The path would look something like this C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
  4. If none of the above steps fix the issue, players will need to uninstall and reinstall the game.

For players who are seeing a Host_WindowLoadTimeout error message, we recommend stopping the game on the task manager and restarting your machine. 

Please keep us updated on your status in this thread. 

Thank you

Tried everything but reinstalling. Nothing worked. I don’t have the bandwidth to reinstall at the moment. Will report back if that doesn’t fix the issue. FYI, reinstalling constantly is not a great way to fix bugs that weren’t there last time I logged in.

BioWare you need to take more care with pushing out changes or fixes while the game servers are live. You are inadvertently affecting other players just to fix things that weren’t broken for them to start with.

It would be better to take the servers down to do proper patches to avoid these issues. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Tried everything but reinstalling. Nothing worked. I don’t have the bandwidth to reinstall at the moment. Will report back if that doesn’t fix the issue. FYI, reinstalling constantly is not a great way to fix bugs that weren’t there last time I logged in.

BioWare you need to take more care with pushing out changes or fixes while the game servers are live. You are inadvertently affecting other players just to fix things that weren’t broken for them to start with.

It would be better to take the servers down to do proper patches to avoid these issues. 

You are 100% correct @TrixxieTriss, thank you for your insight. I tried so many different fixes and none of them worked for me. I still can't log in. Game gets stuck on the Title Screen. Canceling my sub until the devs fix this.

I had reported in another thread that i had the same problem: the game would not load.  After trying EVERY SOLUTION I COULD FIND I, out of sheer frustration, had to re-install.   It took ANOTHER 12 stinking hours, because I live in hell and the devil will not allow bandwidth,  but I digress.   After the reinstall, A NEW PROBLEM emerged that MIGHT shed light on the issue.

I am running a 49" ultra widescreen.  The game now runs wonderfully, without any oddball texture stretching in what my Alienware calls "recommended resolution" of 3480 x 1080.  the game looks gorgeous.  The game runs fantastic.  Max out all textures, shadows, whatever,  its fine.

If I change the resolution AT ALL... I get black screen of death.   I had been, for the last couple of years, running the game at 5120 x 2160, until whatever that killing bug was hit.

AT LEAST THE GAME RUNS. 

If this rant helps anyone, I posted it.  

Jackie, THANK YOU for all your efforts.  I have been critical of alot of the changes,  GRAPHICS has not been one of them.  The game looks better than it ever has. Thank you to you and your team for all you have done to make the game look wonderful.

Edited by Joedot

20 minutes ago, Joedot said:

I had reported in another thread that i had the same problem: the game would not load.  After trying EVERY SOLUTION I COULD FIND I, out of sheer frustration, had to re-install.   It took ANOTHER 12 stinking hours, because I live in hell and the devil will not allow bandwidth,  but I digress.   After the reinstall, A NEW PROBLEM emerged that MIGHT shed light on the issue.

I am running a 49" ultra widescreen.  The game now runs wonderfully, without any oddball texture stretching in what my Alienware calls "recommended resolution" of 3480 x 1080.  the game looks gorgeous.  The game runs fantastic.  Max out all textures, shadows, whatever,  its fine.

If I change the resolution AT ALL... I get black screen of death.   I had been, for the last couple of years, running the game at 5120 x 2160, until whatever that killing bug was hit.

AT LEAST THE GAME RUNS. 

If this rant helps anyone, I posted it.  

Jackie, THANK YOU for all your efforts.  I have been critical of alot of the changes,  GRAPHICS has not been one of them.  The game looks better than it ever has. Thank you to you and your team for all you have done to make the game look wonderful.

so you recommend full restall of the game ?

I have resorted to installing the Steam version of the client and am able to log in and run that without any problems.  I just prefer not to run it in Steam because it is extra weight I do not want.  If I can eventually resolve my Host_WindowLoadTimeout issue I plan on switching back to the stand alone version.

Hi, I changed the launcher to run in windows 8 compatability mode and that allowed me to launch the game with no problem

left click launcher.exe in game directory -> properties -> compatibility tab -> check run program in...... windows 8 selected -> apply

see if this helps

1 hour ago, The-Bad-Wolf said:

Hi, I changed the launcher to run in windows 8 compatability mode and that allowed me to launch the game with no problem

left click launcher.exe in game directory -> properties -> compatibility tab -> check run program in...... windows 8 selected -> apply

see if this helps

hmm that actually worked.thank you.my question is why do i have to revert to windows 8 for this to work?

3 hours ago, JerrichoGr said:

hmm that actually worked.thank you.my question is why do i have to revert to windows 8 for this to work?

That is what I told you to do and I keep commenting in different topics the same thing. I even made a topic for it. People should learn to search.

2 hours ago, Nevod said:

That is what I told you to do and I keep commenting in different topics the same thing. I even made a topic for it. People should learn to search.

Just as a FYI, support specifically told me to turn off compatibility mode on the launcher.  Setting it on or off doesn't resolve my current Host_WindowLoadTimeout issue.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:03 PM, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm consolidating info for all of you in this post. As of now, these are steps the team is suggesting players take to resolve this issue: 

1. If the launcher of in a loop, please wait a few minutes to see if the launcher updates and fixes itself. If it does not resolve on its own, go to step 2. 
  2. Download the SWTOR installer from here
    • Run it and click on Repair
    • It should look like this 
    • image.thumb.png.fffaac91179aab396b2e8be6a2089a82.png
    • If this step does not work, please proceed to step 3
  3. Go to your installation directory and delete the two files that end with metafile.json. That should trigger an update that will look for the most recent launcher release.
    • The path would look something like this C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
  4. If none of the above steps fix the issue, players will need to uninstall and reinstall the game.

For players who are seeing a Host_WindowLoadTimeout error message, we recommend stopping the game on the task manager and restarting your machine. 

Please keep us updated on your status in this thread. 

Thank you

None of the above works 😕

Other online games work without any problems.

For me it looks like this: after uninstalling the game and downloading a new installer, I click on the launcher.exe file and nothing happens at all. Only the log says: Failed to localize (STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™)
Sometimes the information Host_WindowLoadTimeout will pop up but neither restarting nor logging in with a different user helps.

4 minutes ago, Linandar said:

None of the above works 😕

Other online games work without any problems.

For me it looks like this: after uninstalling the game and downloading a new installer, I click on the launcher.exe file and nothing happens at all. Only the log says: Failed to localize (STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™)
Sometimes the information Host_WindowLoadTimeout will pop up but neither restarting nor logging in with a different user helps.

The scenario where it doesn't popup the Host_WindowLoadTimeout there might be an error in the windows application event log about: 

Faulting application name: launcher.exe_Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher, version: 6.1.2.80, time stamp: 0x63d3414e
Faulting module name: libcef.dll, version: 103.0.11.0, time stamp: 0x62bf8a9a
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x06691afe
Faulting process id: 0x1014
Faulting application start time: 0x01d982f6856702ca
Faulting application path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher.exe
Faulting module path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\libcef.dll
Report Id: eb14e273-4a1f-4b58-9e74-abb35cf9cf6d
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

That's what mine does when the popup is missing.  

• Dev Post

Hi all, 

We're tracking the issues that players are having with the launcher here. Please read the post in full and report back here with any updates. I'll be updating the linked thread with updates as I get them. 

Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.