Currency Cap Means I Play Other Games

Jdast

Obviously, I'm subscribed so you still get my U.S. $15 / month but...

It has now been 4 months since the release of 7.2. I am tired of rotating around characters to not reach the cap on various currencies.

I don't enjoy wasting my time earning worthless currencies. My only solution is to reach the cap and and move on to a different game.

It boggles the mind as to why you want me to play other games. You can say, "Well, Dasty, we have your $15 /month!" to which I say, you don't have my CC coins.

Your overly convoluted gearing system means I play this game less. Think about that.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I have recently made a suggestion (one among 20) to raise all currency limits to 99999.

But it is not only reaching the current ridiculously low limits that is the problem. Also not being able to convert one type of currency to another is troublesome. I stopped playing PvP like 3 years ago and will never return (well, never say never, but the present attitude amongst the players.... nah) so it is annoying to see PvP currency in my inventory that I cant convert, in a, say, 3-1 ratio to ops tokens. That would also be nice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It doesn't matter how much you play, only how much you pay. Their business model is targeted at players that play other games and buy a subscription once in a while when they release some substantial amount of new content like a new expansion or new daily area, etc. If you maintain a continuous sub, you already give them more than their targeted average customer. They have zero reason to care, that you play other games, they welcome it as long a you pay them at least once in a while. If you want that to change, vote with your wallet. If you are giving them money, it means you are happy. It means they already have your money and nothing will ever change, why should it?

3 minutes ago, black_pyros said:

It doesn't matter how much you play, only how much you pay. Their business model is targeted at players that play other games and buy a subscription once in a while when they release some substantial amount of new content like a new expansion or new daily area, etc. If you maintain a continuous sub, you already give them more than their targeted average customer. They have zero reason to care, that you play other games, they welcome it as long a you pay them at least once in a while. If you want that to change, vote with your wallet. If you are giving them money, it means you are happy. It means they already have your money and nothing will ever change, why should it?

Because I refuse to purchase Cartel Coins under the current model. That is where the real money is made.

Dasty

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jdast said:

Because I refuse to purchase Cartel Coins under the current model. That is where the real money is made.

And I was trying to explain to you, they don't need that as you already give them more than their targeted average customer. They acknowedged in the past that they are fine when players come and go and subscribe once in a while when new content is released. That's obviously enough for them to keep the lights on and to release the tiny bits of content required to lure enough players and money.

Just now, black_pyros said:

And I was trying to explain to you, they don't need that as you already give them more than their targeted average customer. They acknowedged in the past that they are fine when players come and go and subscribe once in a while when new content is released. That's obviously enough for them to keep the lights on and to release the tiny bits of content required to lure enough players and money.

If you think it is a good business model to depopulate planets, flashpoints and operations by incentivizing players to play other games, we should just agree to disagree. No hard feelings. I get your point, but profoundly disagree with it.

Bottom line: I would spend a lot more money in game, even if I'm not the 'average customer'. Whales help keep this game afloat. I am no longer a whale despite having the resources to do so.

Dasty

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jdast said:

If you think it is a good business model to depopulate planets, flashpoints and operations by incentivizing players to play other games, we should just agree to disagree. No hard feelings. I get your point, but profoundly disagree with it.

Bottom line: I would spend a lot more money in game, even if I'm not the 'average customer'. Whales help keep this game afloat. I am no longer a whale despite having the resources to do so.

A good business model is one that works. Since they operate like this for years and game still exists, I can say it's pretty safe to assume, their business model works. I get your point that you don't like it and that it may be better for you and every player including me, if they aimed at higher goals, persuading players to give them more to then have more resources to release more content. But this game is over 11 years old and I think that ship of opportunity sailed a long time ago.

Edited by black_pyros

5 hours ago, MortenJessen said:

Also not being able to convert one type of currency to another is troublesome. I stopped playing PvP like 3 years ago and will never return (well, never say never, but the present attitude amongst the players.... nah) so it is annoying to see PvP currency in my inventory that I cant convert, in a, say, 3-1 ratio to ops tokens. That would also be nice.

PVP currency can be converted to tech frags by PVP vendor. Same for FP, OP, and Conquest currencies (by their co-responding vendors). The only major currency that still can't be converted is Daily Resources Matrix.

2 hours ago, black_pyros said:

A good business model is one that works. Since they operate like this for years and game still exists, I can say it's pretty safe to assume, their business model works. I get your point that you don't like it and that it may be better for you and every player including me, if they aimed at higher goals, persuading players to give them more to then have more resources to release more content. But this game is over 11 years old and I think that ship of opportunity sailed a long time ago.

Here is the flaw in your argument. You can't account for variation. There have been a multitude of gearing systems throughout SWTOR's history. Some have involved currency caps, some have not. For example, 6.0, despite the annoying amount of mods, incentivized me to play. Even the dreaded 5.0 "RNG is exciting" didn't impose a hard stop to progressing, even if random.

Ergo, when you say a "good business model is one that works" it is somewhat disingenuous (not maliciously so, I respect your POV), but you should acknowledge that the 'business model' hasn't so much evolved, but lurched from one extreme to the other depending on the whims of the current lead game developer. Hyde and Seek made vast improvements from the debacle that was 7.0 and the numbers, at least on Steam Charts, reflect that point. 

Bioware raised currency caps in the past with 7.2. They should do so again, or at least give us new things to purchase. It's getting dull.

I'm simply suggesting that the current draconian (and convoluted) degree of currency caps means I stop playing after a few days each week and switch over to ESO. 

To say that since SWTOR is still operating is a bit generic, dare I say banal.

Dasty

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VegaMist said:

PVP currency can be converted to tech frags by PVP vendor

Tech frags are about as useful as a sandbag in Sahara. You can have all those I already have, and also those I dont care about when capped.

Edited by MortenJessen

2 minutes ago, MortenJessen said:

Tech frags are about as useful as a sandbag in Sahara. You can have all those I already have, and also those I dont care about when capped.

Considering you can use Tech frags to acquire OEM-37 & RPM-13 and then list them on GTN (one of the easiest ways people make credits these days) or use them to craft gold augments, Tech frags are FAR from useless. But to each their own.

On 4/23/2023 at 10:21 PM, Jdast said:

It has now been 4 months since the release of 7.2. I am tired of rotating around characters to not reach the cap on various currencies.

I don't enjoy wasting my time earning worthless currencies. My only solution is to reach the cap and and move on to a different game.

It boggles the mind as to why you want me to play other games. You can say, "Well, Dasty, we have your $15 /month!" to which I say, you don't have my CC coins.

Your overly convoluted gearing system means I play this game less. Think about that.

Dasty

So, you're grinding the game so much you're hitting the cap, and you expect anyone to take this bluff about you moving on from SWTOR seriously?

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Eckrond said:

So, you're grinding the game so much you're hitting the cap, and you expect anyone to take this bluff about you moving on from SWTOR seriously?

He NEVER said he would move on. He said he plays SWTOR much less than he wants to, and that he instead plays other games to pass the time (from when he caps to next week).

• Like 1

Completely agree with currency bloat. As a returning player it does not incentivize me to stick around for end game things because it looks just completely frustrating. Currently wrapping up my final two class stories to achieve legendary status but unsure if I would even want to bother with the convoluted mess that is the currency system in this game.

20 hours ago, black_pyros said:

I have to agree with the OP. However, the game being 11 years old means nothing considering games like ESO, WoW, LotRO, and even EQ2 and others still get major content updates. I have watched this game over the years, and I have to ask, WHERE IS THE CONTENT? Seems EA/Bioware is happy with the occasional sub/new player, and the whales spending in the cash shop (black is right about that). They ARE making money, but it certainly is not going back into the game, and has not been for years..

Most games have currency caps / rotating currency for a reason. They don't want people to hoard and get everything on day 1 when new stuff comes out, the idea is to spread gameplay over as many days as they can. Whether you think that's right or not... I'll guess I'll be hearing about it.

Could these numbers be adjusted a little? Sure, we could try. But so far this thread is taking an 'all or nothing' approach.

The real problem to me is not currency caps, the problem is that there is little to spend them on past a certain point. This could be remedied somewhat by

• A more robust currency exchange system
  • Content updates slightly faster than an iceberg.
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 2:21 AM, Jdast said:

Dasty

This makes no sense. Either you continue to play and hit a currency cap, or you play some other game and stay at the cap. In both cases you are at the cap. 🤔

Edited by JediQuaker

2 hours ago, JediQuaker said:

This makes no sense. Either you continue to play and hit a currency cap, or you play some other game and stay at the cap. In both cases you are at the cap. 🤔

JQ, 

It has been years since I've tried making sense to you. I am resigned, comfortably so, that you and I will disagree on 90% of topics. C'est la vie.

<<Insert HK=47 voice>>

Query: Would Dasty spend more resources (i.e., give Bioware more money) and support a thriving game population without currency caps?

Answer: Yes.

This isn't Euclidean Geometry.

Dasty

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jdast said:

JQ, 

It has been years since I've tried making sense to you. I am resigned, comfortably so, that you and I will disagree on 90% of topics. C'est la vie.

<<Insert HK=47 voice>>

Query: Would Dasty spend more resources (i.e., give Bioware more money) and support a thriving game population without currency caps?

Answer: Yes.

This isn't Euclidean Geometry.

Dasty

I wouldn't mind a raised cap, but if BW is still intending to raise the gear every few months, then having to large of a cap means people will just max out in the new gear on Day 1. That is probably why the cap is where it is.

But then I think I did get the new 336's on Day 1, so I have no idea in truth. Just a theory.

Raising the cap on currencies is needed.

But so is having more items to spend them on. I’d also like to see some sort of currency exchange on the Fleets. So if you cap currency “X” and have nothing to spend it on, you can exchange it for currency “Y”.

Surely BioWare can work out some sort of conversion rates between the different currencies based on how many hours or gated time is required to acquire different currencies. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

But so is having more items to spend them on. I’d also like to see some sort of currency exchange on the Fleets. So if you cap currency “X” and have nothing to spend it on, you can exchange it for currency “Y”.

Surely BioWare can work out some sort of conversion rates between the different currencies based on how many hours or gated time is required to acquire different currencies. 

The more tokenized (more variation in currencies) a game has, the harder it is for anyone one farmer to farm enough of all of those currencies to matter to skew the economy.
Also makes it easier to slow players down through the progression of expansion content.

Want to really see what's a lot of currencies? Check this out

Edited by xordevoreaux

14 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

You can already do that. conquest comms, wz-1, and FP-1 I know can be converted to tech frags. I've never looked at the Op-1 to see if that is possible. I want to stay capped on those

2 hours ago, Toraak said:

You can already do that. conquest comms, wz-1, and FP-1 I know can be converted to tech frags. I've never looked at the Op-1 to see if that is possible. I want to stay capped on those

Problem is, tech frags are about as useful as sun lotion at the bottom of the ocean. You cant really buy any gear with them.

• Confused 1