Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Sincerest apologies to expert Starfighters for sucking at it

Jozandra

Truly not intentional to play badly in that team portion of the game, but since it is impossible to practice in any form of solo content and the fact I have poor eyesight, and the fact Galactic Seasons is requiring people play it six times...

It was really sad that on my last needed attempt at starfighter I would get kicked for not knowing what the heck I need to be doing. It just means I have to go in again under a different character. Just let me get my practice in and I'll be gone before the day is out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jozandra said:

Truly not intentional to play badly in that team portion of the game, but since it is impossible to practice in any form of solo content and the fact I have poor eyesight, and the fact Galactic Seasons is requiring people play it six times...

It was really sad that on my last needed attempt at starfighter I would get kicked for not knowing what the heck I need to be doing. It just means I have to go in again under a different character. Just let me get my practice in and I'll be gone before the day is out.

Don't take the kick too personal - inactivity system is in a very ...overzealous condition at the moment. Besides players reporting others, client itself automitically removes players for alleged inactivity. Just that not nearly all inactives as deemed by client   have been all that inactive at all.  It is a constant headache for seasoned veteran bomber pilots for example. Their own teammates accidentally vote kick them out..and ig client itself autoremoves them for inactivy too, sometimes.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6xHNu_dXVA&ab_channel=GSFSchool

This vid does great job explaining the basics.

Have you found out the quite worthless soloable GSF  tutorial mission? Click the yellow ? in GSF main menu to access it. One truly doesn't learn much there either..but at least you can take your time learning the UI. 

Limited amount of time to see what is written very small on a UI that is as big as I can make it on a 27" FDH 1920x1080 monitor that I have to put my face 6 inches in front of in order to read. Guessing you missed the part where I said I have poor eyesight. Doesn't help that when I needed to do several space missions, I had to adjust the graphics to protanopia, despite not being color blind, in order to read the map labels to find the mission I need. Makes me really miss SWG for how awesome its space missions/pve/pvp were by comparison, where you actually got to learn everything you needed to know before being thrown into combat with experienced pilots.

p.s.

Did the tutorial, and got to say that that literally did not do enough to prepare for these forced group pvp sessions.

Did you notice you can customize GSF ui? Tutorial isn't good for many things..but once it allows somewhat free flight, it is useful setting for GSF-specific   UI customization. You can  scale things upwards, move everything around. I'm not sure if you can increase text size though.. Worth checking out. At least map size can be increased by little bit. I found this very helpful at least.

Edited by Stradlin

To whomever just allowed me to remain in the game despite how sucky I was, Olivia Branch thanks you very much. Super glad my horrendous skills did not impede your ability to achieve victory. Your Token of Kindness allowed me to complete two levels Galactic Seasons, the last of which included, coincidentally, the Token of Kindness, LOL.

Hopefully, it will be a very very VERY long time before Starfighter is required for anything. (I'm not even going to attempt to get thelast couple Conquest achievments for doing it on bomber/striker/scout/etc.

18 minutes ago, Stradlin said:

Did you notice you can customize GSF ui? Tutorial isn't good for many things..but once it allows somewhat free flight, it is useful setting for GSF-specific   UI customization. You can  scale things upwards, move everything around. I'm not sure if you can increase text size though.. Worth checking out. At least map size can be increased by little bit. I found this very helpful at least.

Forgot about that. Had spent an horrendous amount of time adjusting everything else and had ignored the UI's to both Space and Starfighter simply because I had already discovered years ago before my break from the game that I am not good at those aspects of this game.

The reminder is greatly appreciated.

36 minutes ago, Jozandra said:

Forgot about that. Had spent an horrendous amount of time adjusting everything else and had ignored the UI's to both Space and Starfighter simply because I had already discovered years ago before my break from the game that I am not good at those aspects of this game.

The reminder is greatly appreciated.

Everybody who has ever done GSF always sucks at GSF at first. It gradually turns quite awesome if you decide to figure it out. And if your eyesight doesn't make it too annoying.

2 hours ago, Stradlin said:

Everybody who has ever done GSF always sucks at GSF at first. It gradually turns quite awesome if you decide to figure it out. And if your eyesight doesn't make it too annoying.

Sadly my eyesight has "seen" a drastic decline in acuity in the last three to five years due to cataracts and other health problems. Now onet eye is effectively blind and the other extremely myopic. :( Gonna try to enjoy the parts of the game that I still can do semi decently while I still can.

Unless you have a sub about to expire or really want that  1000 weeklies achievment for some reason, the you don't have to do GSF at all.

You can get all 100 ranks in seasons easily by only doing 2 to 3 weeklies.  

There's no reason to do things you don't find enjoyable just because of Seasons.

12 hours ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

Unless you have a sub about to expire or really want that  1000 weeklies achievment for some reason, the you don't have to do GSF at all.

You can get all 100 ranks in seasons easily by only doing 2 to 3 weeklies.  

There's no reason to do things you don't find enjoyable just because of Seasons.

That's good to know. Wasn't even paying attention to the difference between dailies and weeklies, but I just learned that if you get 7 of 7 weeklies completed, you cannot earn any more points from dailies until the week resets. That surprised me.

Just remember that staying alive is just as valuable as killing the other team. 

And you can always cheese a gunship 😜

Having said that, I don't even remember people in any of my matches getting upset, and there's usually a couple of 0 kill 10+ deaths players in a match, either learning the leeroy way or suiciding to throw...

People don't tend to get worked up over GSF cos rewards are good for the effort put in, since the weekly is 6 losses in a worst-case scenario + you get a metric ton of conquest points for using each ship type in 5 matches anyways, so it's like 1 match difference even if you lose every time...

There's a lesson there for BW in their neigh-decade quest to make regular PvP "less toxic" I think... Only wins count quests is toosh design. 

• Like 1

I only learned recently that the ship vendor on fleet sells legacy bound fleet/ship consumables for GSF based on fleet comms. You get comms from GSF ofc but you also get them from space missions. And if you're like me and you have a bunch of alts, and you've done space missions and the comms just stack up because there never seemed that much to buy with them, you could go on all your alts, buy whatever you can--the cheapest costs 40 comms--then mail them to an alt or wait out the timer, and then use them with the designated GSF toon. I had enough saved comms to max out every republic ship this way. 

The second useful thing you could do is check the vulkk guide which will tell you the best builds and crew setups, rather than being like me and using nullify for every ship. 

The third useful thing I can suggest is that if you accidentally target someone, which can happen very easily, you can untarget by pressing ESC. 

I've been playing GSF since at least 5.0 and didn't find out any of this until a few months ago, mostly by accident. 

4 hours ago, aeterno said:

People don't tend to get worked up over GSF cos rewards are good for the effort put in, since the weekly is 6 losses in a worst-case scenario + you get a metric ton of conquest points for using each ship type in 5 matches anyways, so it's like 1 match difference even if you lose every time...

There's a lesson there for BW in their neigh-decade quest to make regular PvP "less toxic" I think... Only wins count quests is toosh design. 

Yes, the camaraderie is a major part of the appeal for me. The conquest points are great and GS objectives ofc but no other pug group activity is as consistently friendly. Or at least non-hostile.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 4:17 PM, Jozandra said:

To whomever just allowed me to remain in the game despite how sucky I was, Olivia Branch thanks you very much.

Unless I am mistaken, you can only be kicked when the server determines you're not participating. Other players cannot initiate the vote. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.