Accidently bought a cartel item I already own

jarjarloves

Hi it's been a few  years since I played but decided to jump back in and imeditly saw some items on the Cartel Market i wanted.  So I picked up the infamous bounty hunter armor got equiped it then went to bind it to all my accounts only to find out i already did that... Seems last time I played i bout that set and already unlocked it to my all accounts. 

How do I go about getting a refund for that since I already purchased it and can't do anything with said armor. 

Edited by jarjarloves
  • Like 1

• jarjarloves changed the title to Accidently bought a cartel item I already own

I don't know if the is any particular popup. But just hovering the mouse on any piece it will tell you if the item is: locked in collection, unlocked for character or unlocked for account. When you already unlocked it for account is quite noticeable.

2 minutes ago, Balameb said:

BTW. You can still place a ticket. You probably won't get the CCs back, but MAYBE they will revert the binding and you can resell. You already have the 'No', so there is no harm in asking,

yeah I'm still not seeing anything saying it's in my collection even if i click buy it all it says is I can return it if i don't claim it.  But it says that for stuff that isn't in my collection either. 

I'm gonna be pretty pissed if I can't even sell it.  That's the kind of thing that would make me stop playing this game especially after I bought all those cartel coins. 

10 minutes ago, jarjarloves said:

yeah I'm still not seeing anything saying it's in my collection even if i click buy it all it says is I can return it if i don't claim it.  But it says that for stuff that isn't in my collection either. 

I'm gonna be pretty pissed if I can't even sell it.  That's the kind of thing that would make me stop playing this game especially after I bought all those cartel coins. 

Did you equip the items? If you didn't equip, the normal bind timer is like 2 days. After that it's unbound and you can sell on GTN. Depending on the value you might have to sell each piece separately to get the full credits out of it, or if it's valuable enough, you can trade for a Hypercrate and later trade the Hypercrate for the armor set you actually want.

• Like 1

Just now, ThanderSnB said:

Did you equip the items? If you didn't equip, the normal bind timer is like 2 days. After that it's unbound and you can sell on GTN. Depending on the value you might have to sell each piece separately to get the full credits out of it, or if it's valuable enough, you can trade for a Hypercrate and later trade the Hypercrate for the armor set you actually want.

nope i equiped them because I was planning on unlocking them in my collection.  ONly to go to my collection and see they were already unlocked. 

1 minute ago, MortenJessen said:

If you already have an item in your inventory, you should be able to read "Unlocked for Account in Collections" under the Cartel market Item note in the preview box.

https://imgur.com/ugXS5Mn

What the heck?? THAT"S WHAT I WAS SUPOSED TO CHECK?   How was i supposed to know I have to click on the item then go to show items and then click on one of the items and read the tiny text.  How is that a warning?

• Like 1

Just now, jarjarloves said:

nope i equiped them because I was planning on unlocking them in my collection.  ONly to go to my collection and see they were already unlocked. 

You can send in a ticket or call the support number. They should be able to get it fixed one way or another (give cartel coins back or send an unbound set in mail).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jarjarloves said:

What the heck?? THAT"S WHAT I WAS SUPOSED TO CHECK?   How was i supposed to know I have to click on the item then go to show items and then click on one of the items and read the tiny text.  How is that a warning?

I never said it was a warning. But it IS how one, unless you use the search function in the collection, finds out if one already own that armor, or other item. Sorry for your problem, but I doubt you will have any luck because you equipped it. Had you not, you could have sold it on GTN.

Edited by MortenJessen
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MortenJessen said:

I never said it was a warning. But it IS how one, unless you use the search function in the collection, finds out if one already own that armor, or other item. Sorry for your problem, but I doubt you will have any luck because you equipped it. Had you not, you could have sold it on GTN.

Sorry i'm not saying you did GeneralGyro did and said it was my fault because I didn't look.  But of course I don't know how I was supposed to know that.   

• Sad 1

Then I mis understood you. Sorry.

Well, it is not easy to know. But I also learned it the expensive way. In my case, a mount that I had utterly forgotten about having on one of my other chars on the server (I have a whopping 54 chars in progress and quite a few lvl 1 name reservations). Well, I feel for you, but I am almost quite certain you wont get a refund of your cartel coins. Sorry.

Edited by MortenJessen
  • Like 1

There is a visual warning when purchasing some items from the Cartel Market, but generally only appears for unlocks and consumables.  In this image you can see the visual warning, the exclamation point in the triangle on the Buy Now button.  This is warning me that I have already unlocked that appearance option pack for my account.

https://i.imgur.com/8rborzw.png

Unfortunately, that visual warning is not present when viewing weapons or armour sets that are already owned, whether account unlocked or not.  Here you can see that I am viewing the Steadfast Master's Robes and there is no visual warning on the Buy Now button even though upon inspection you can see that the set is unlocked for my account in Collections.

https://i.imgur.com/0Ntntgi.png

That visual warning does not just indicate if you already own something.  It will also appear if that character does not meet a requirement for the item.  For example, if I select a weapon the character can use, whether owned or not, there will be no warning.  But if I select a weapon the character can not use, such as a blaster, it will show the warning and, upon hovering over the warning, will tell me that "This item has the following restrictions: Requires Blaster Pistol."

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I've also encountered this same problem, it is very frustrating that a refund is not capable after writing a ticket. They cite that since the item has already been equipped and bound to my character, that there is no way for a refund to be made or a way to grant another unbound version of the item. I'd like this to work differently, other games have a limited amount of account-wide refunds, as long as its within 30 days, which I find is a much more reasonable time period than settling with it being impossible to reconcile the moment its bound or equipped. I understand that this game has its own code and rules and terms of services, but like others have pointed out here, the warning for purchasing a duplicate item is very hard to see, or non-existent given the only warning is the sentence claiming its unlocked in your collections rather than locked, which is a 2 letter difference, and only a slight color highlight change for unlocked. I understand that these purchases are allowed for the sake of the GTN but they should really have their own pop-up window warning if you've already unlocked it in collections, and I'd really like for refunding to be reconsidered, its not refunding actual money its refunding the cartel coins. 

This combined with other issues with unclaimed seasons items mail expiring, has really left me with a feeling that I've wasted money or even time spent purchasing or grinding for items in this game. I really enjoy this game but these problems can be a real bummer when they're unresolved.

In my opinion, it is enough to think before we spend money. Even when we want to buy an item on sale, it takes a few hours, which is more than enough time to consider whether I really want the item and check whether I already have it. Why do people ask to be treated like children and for someone to wipe their bottoms?

It seems to me that some people are presuming that if an account already has an item unlocked in Collections, then there would be no reason for the player to buy it from the Cartel Market. Actually, there are several reasons. The player could be buying it to sell on the Galactic Trade Network, or it could be a gift for another player, or the player might have another account that doesn't have the item in Collections yet.

That might be why there is no popup warning that the item you're about to purchase is already unlocked in Collections. I don't know. What I do know is that checking to see if you already have an item unlocked in Collections is not that difficult. Besides that little "Unlocked for Account in Collections" line, you can also check for any item at any time by pressing CTRL-C and typing a word in the search box.

Personally, I've always thought of this as a very basic precaution. I do it before buying any unlockable item from the CM or GTN.

Sometimes, I forget. Just a few weeks ago, I was about to buy an item from the CM and at the last minute, I thought to check my Collections, and found out I already had it. Just narrowly saved myself from wasting a couple of thousand Cartel Coins.

On another occasion, I didn't remember in time, and wound up kicking myself when I realized I just bought an item that I already had. But I blamed myself for that, for being careless. While it certainly would have been nice if the company had refunded my Cartel Coins, I understood that it was my error that caused the trouble, and I didn't get angry at the company for not compensating me for my own mistake. Well, that's just me.

10 minutes ago, ShadowyKai said:

It seems to me that some people are presuming that if an account already has an item unlocked in Collections, then there would be no reason for the player to buy it from the Cartel Market. Actually, there are several reasons. The player could be buying it to sell on the Galactic Trade Network, or it could be a gift for another player, or the player might have another account that doesn't have the item in Collections yet.

I agree. There really isn’t a need for a warning because many players buy sets they have already to sell them on the GTN or give to someone etc. 

That said, I think it’s totally unacceptable that support won’t take care of this for people who accidentally buy it. It’s a complete joke that they say they cannot unbind the items or refund the coins. They absolutely, unequivocally can do that, they just are choosing not to. 

33 minutes ago, SoyElSenado said:

That said, I think it’s totally unacceptable that support won’t take care of this for people who accidentally buy it. It’s a complete joke that they say they cannot unbind the items or refund the coins. They absolutely, unequivocally can do that, they just are choosing not to. 

How to buy something by accident? Have you tripped, fallen on the mouse and clicked "buy" with your forehead? It would be a accidental purchase. Anything else is simply an unwillingness to take responsibility for bad decisions or lack of attention. 

If there was an error in the game that made it impossible to check whether we already have a given item or confused us, it would be a different conversation, but there is no such bug.

The buyer is 100% at fault, so why should he be entitled to any refund?

Edited by Anhkriva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I worked in customer service, I always did what I could for the customers, within the restrictions of my job.

One thing that always bothered me was when customers acted like they were entitled to have the store or company make up for problems that the customers themselves caused.

It would be one thing if the appliance you want to return actually was defective when you took it out of the box, but if the reason that it doesn't work is because you dropped it down the stairwell of your building while you were carrying it up to your apartment ... 

If I wanted to return an item to a store after the 14-day or 30-day return period has expired, I would understand that I am asking them to do me a favor by making an exception to their return policy. I would not act like I was entitled to have an exception made for me.

When you purchase an item from the Cartel Market, all of the information is available to you. You are told the price and what you are getting for that price. If I'm not mistaken, there is a popup window telling you that you cannot get a refund for an item after you claim it from the "Unclaimed Items" section. Your Collections interface will tell you whether or not you already have it unlocked. None of this information is hidden.

If you failed to look up the information before buying the item, that's your mistake. I simply don't agree that you are entitled to have the company compensate you for your own mistake.

They absolutely, unequivocally can do that, they just are choosing not to

I don't know what they can or cannot do. If they can do it and are choosing not to, then the question for me becomes why aren't they doing it.

Maybe they have limited resources and staff, and there simply aren't enough hours in the day to perform the refunds that players would want.

Also, if they allow refunds for players who mistakenly buy items that they already have in Collections, should they also give refunds to players who buy an item and simply change their minds and decide they don't want it? There is no doubt in my mind that if they give a refund to a player who buys an item without realizing it was already unlocked in Collections, then other players will say, "Well, obviously they can refund coins since they did it for that person, so why can't they give me a refund for mine since I don't want it anymore?"

What if a person bought an armor set for a character, set it up in Outfitter for the character's appearance, and then asked for a refund for the armor set? Should the company be expected to go through everything about a character or account to remove everything that the item was used for as part of the return? Because if they don't, I can guarantee you that some people will buy an item, use it for a specific purpose, and then ask to return it.

Maybe it's just a cleaner, simpler solution not to allow any refunds on items once they're in the character's inventory.

On 4/13/2023 at 3:23 PM, jarjarloves said:

Hi it's been a few  years since I played but decided to jump back in and imeditly saw some items on the Cartel Market i wanted.  So I picked up the infamous bounty hunter armor got equiped it then went to bind it to all my accounts only to find out i already did that... Seems last time I played i bout that set and already unlocked it to my all accounts. 

How do I go about getting a refund for that since I already purchased it and can't do anything with said armor. 

It happens. Good thing is after 1 day and 12 hrs you can SELL it on the GTN and make cashy money, Good on you mate! No refund needed. We have all done it and it has been a rule of the cartel market for as long as I can recall no refunds. Good luck.