New update not running on windows 10

NWRgamer

Just now, Syrlex said:

I extracted the files to a new folder I called ...\SWTOR\Direct X 9 (because I only use it or this game) and within that folder, there is a file called SETUP.exe which you then need to run. I do not know why Microsfot decided not to make it run automatically.

Hmm, in my folder it's called DXSETUP.exe.

I wonder if you downloaded something else than what JackieKo posted.

UPDATE: Ok, I found out the problem. It was the Win XP SP3 compatibility mode enabled that was the problem. I unchecked it and the game finally launched. Guess WinXP SP3 compatibility is 32bit mode only and using 64bit launcher would obviously not work.

So, people, check your settings.

2 minutes ago, Szob said:

UPDATE: Ok, I found out the problem. It was the Win XP SP3 compatibility mode enabled that was the problem. I unchecked it and the game finally launched. Guess WinXP SP3 compatibility is 32bit mode only and using 64bit launcher would obviously not work.

So, people, check your settings.

This only works if you had the setting turned on, which if you note, JackieKo stated to turn it off earlier.

• Dev Post
11 minutes ago, Syrlex said:

I extracted the files to a new folder I called ...\SWTOR\Direct X 9 (because I only use it or this game) and within that folder, there is a file called SETUP.exe which you then need to run. I do not know why Microsfot decided not to make it run automatically.

This is a good callout. The files need to be extracted and then the dxsetup.exe has to be run. I've updated my post in the 64-bit common issues thread. 

For those who are experiencing issues, please confirm if you have done this and whether or not you are able to log into the game and play as normal. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

For those who are unable to play/log despite checking the AV/firewall, compatibility mode, and updated DX9, can you confirm if you are seeing the Bug Splat window AFTER clicking Play? Or if it doesn't show up at all? 

Nothing happens. I patched this morning, and after patching finished, clicking on the play button didn't start the game as usual (which normally would have taken me to the server select screen showing all servers down as I patched during maintenance). Looking online for solutions, I came across the DirectX 9 issue that corrected the problem for some people; this did not work for me (I updated it, yes). I have disabled both my firewall and my antivirus. I never ran SWTOR in compatibility mode, and I checked again to confirm this. I am running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

For reference, this is the part of the launcher log file that I think may be relevant (in bold and in red):

03/28/2023 14:51:21 DEBUG - Workflow.8ea8790d - Task.7cd85b04.launch - Not waiting for process to exit
03/28/2023 14:51:21 DEBUG - Workflow.8ea8790d - Task.7cd85b04.launch - Successful 1 ExitCode -1073741511
03/28/2023 14:51:21 DEBUG - Workflow.8ea8790d - Task.7cd85b04.launch - Error - Launch_Error_UnknownCode
03/28/2023 14:51:21 DEBUG - Workflow.8ea8790d - Event launch completed in 0s (0)
03/28/2023 14:51:21 DEBUG - Workflow.8ea8790d - Dictionary.0bf857c8 - successful=false (Boolean)
03/28/2023 14:51:21 DEBUG - Workflow.8ea8790d - Dictionary.0bf857c8 - cancelled=false (Boolean)
03/28/2023 14:51:21 DEBUG - Workflow.8ea8790d - Dictionary.0bf857c8 - errors (List)
03/28/2023 14:51:21 DEBUG - Workflow.8ea8790d - Dictionary.04207174 -     =Launch_Error_UnknownCode (String)
03/28/2023 14:51:21 DEBUG - Workflow.8ea8790d - Dictionary.0bf857c8 - name=launch (String)
03/28/2023 14:51:21 DEBUG - Workflow.8ea8790d - Dictionary.0bf857c8 - workflow=8ea8790d143c754eb269c12df329c3d4 (String)
03/28/2023 14:51:21 DEBUG - Workflow.8ea8790d - Dictionary.0bf857c8 - exists=true (Boolean)
03/28/2023 14:51:21 DEBUG - Workflow.8ea8790d - Dictionary.0bf857c8 - global=true (Boolean)
03/28/2023 14:51:21 CONSOLE - WorkflowManager - Event Complete - {"successful":false,"cancelled":false,"errors":["Launch_Error_UnknownCode"],"name":"launch","workflow":"8ea8790d143c754eb269c12df329c3d4","exists":true,"global":true}

Edited by Eldarion_Velator

Hi all, Windows 11 user here - followed instructions (firewall, directx9, uncheck compatibility) and was loading to blank server list. Went back to running compatibility mode windows 8 and it allowed me in.

24 minutes ago, Fenrirxero said:

Hmm, in my folder it's called DXSETUP.exe.

I wonder if you downloaded something else than what JackieKo posted.

Okay, you are right on the exact name of the file, sorry.

Need to logout now, bedtime.

Edited by Syrlex

5 minutes ago, TassieG said:

Hi all, Windows 11 user here - followed instructions (firewall, directx9, uncheck compatibility) and was loading to blank server list. Went back to running compatibility mode windows 8 and it allowed me in.

I tried this, but it still did not work for me.

• Dev Post
5 minutes ago, Eldarion_Velator said:

Nothing happens. I patched this morning, and after patching finished, clicking on the play button didn't start the game as usual (which would have taken me to the server select screen showing all servers down as I patched during maintenance). Looking online for solutions, I came across the DirectX 9 issue that corrected the problem for some people; this did not work for me (I updated it, yes). I have disabled both my firewall and my antivirus. I never ran SWTOR in compatibility mode, and I checked again to confirm this. I am running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Just to confirm, you installed the June 2010 Direct X runtime and manually ran the dxsetup.exe file? 

• Haha 1

Ok, I got it to work. Here's how...

1) Download the DirectX 9 executable using the link posted to this forum that takes you to the Microsoft website. The download should automatically trigger; you'll need to save the file to a local file on your hard drive. If the download does not auto-trigger, click the big red DOWNLOAD button on the webpage.

2) Run the downloaded DirectX 9 executable (i.e., double-left click on it). Note this will NOT install DirectX 9; it will ask for a location on your hard drive that it will extract the installation files to. Either use a folder you already have or create one first, then run the DirectX 9 executable you downloaded from the Microsoft website.

3) Once you've extracted the files from the downloaded executable to your folder, go into that folder. Find and run the executable file named "DXSETUP.exe". At this point, it will auto-install DX9 and tell you when it's done.

4) Try logging into and running SWTOR.

Hope this helps.

Edited by SSBragancia
  • Thanks 1

Update...after following the steps that SSBragancia suggested above...I was able to log on successfully.

Confirming I have done/checked all three below and still cannot log on. 

• Adding the app to your Antivirus/firewall allowlist did not work
  • Updating DX9 did not work. 
  • Unchecking compatibility did not work
Edited by stardancernexo

15 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Just to confirm, you installed the June 2010 Direct X runtime and manually ran the dxsetup.exe file? 

Yes.

Just out of curiosity, I ran swtor.exe (from the retailclient folder) and got this error: "The procedure entry point ucrtbase.terminate could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll" - which is not a problem that occurs with any other program/game on my machine.

I have emailed support with the same information (my OS, when I patched, what happened afterwards, disabled antivirus/firewall, manually installed DirectX runtime, uninstalled and reinstalled with the same problem, uninstalled again and attempted to run the game from the copy I archived after patching this morning) and attached the complete launcher log file.

At this point, I've uninstalled the game completely and am redownloading it.  Hope it fixes it, but I have my doubts based on the above post.

Hope all my individualized settings are server side.

Edited by Fenrirxero

Well changing the compatibility from XP sp3 worked. But it caused another problem. Running the game on XP sp3 was the fix to an annoying problem that caused flickering from high to low res textures on multiple objects in the game. How to play now with that annoying issue and the only fix just being removed with the 64-bit?

Done everything and still get the same result, nothing happens.

dxdiag says I am on DX12, am I supposed to downgrade 3 versions to make this work?

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 3/28/2023, 13:38:23
             Machine name: ASUSGAMER
               Machine Id: {8CEB621A-521C-42FD-BA06-78C1D1B8A161}
         Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
             System Model: G11CD
                     BIOS: 0802 (type: UEFI)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16314MB RAM
                Page File: 5560MB used, 13184MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 192 DPI (200 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 288 DPI (300 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
                 Miracast: Available, no HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
 DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.2075 64bit Unicode

Edited by LadyNashira
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, LadyNashira said:

Done everything and still get the same result, nothing happens.

dxdiag says I am on DX12, am I supposed to downgrade 3 versions to make this work?

That's not how it works - basically you're updating already-existing DirectX 9 files (if your DX12 is an upgrade from previous versions) or installing them (if your DX12 is the only version on your machine). Programs that are written to utilize the highest-version of DirectX on your machine will still use DX12.

SWTOR, on the other hand, is still written to use DX9 (an update to use higher versions of DirectX may be in the works for the distant future) and thus requires DX9 files on your machine to run.

• Dev Post
18 minutes ago, Eldarion_Velator said:

Yes.

Just out of curiosity, I ran swtor.exe (from the retailclient folder) and got this error: "The procedure entry point ucrtbase.terminate could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll" - which is not a problem that occurs with any other program/game on my machine.

I have emailed support with the same information (my OS, when I patched, what happened afterwards, disabled antivirus/firewall, manually installed DirectX runtime, uninstalled and reinstalled with the same problem, uninstalled again and attempted to run the game from the copy I archived after patching this morning) and attached the complete launcher log file.

As everything else has been ruled out, the team strongly recommends updating the OS as with this update, the new recommended OS is Windows 10.  

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, stardancernexo said:

Confirming I have done/checked all three below and still cannot log on. 

• Adding the app to your Antivirus/firewall allowlist did not work
  • Updating DX9 did not work. 
  • Unchecking compatibility did not work

So when I ran the setup for DX9 it does that automatically yes?  I don't need to uninstall anything?