New update not running on windows 10

NWRgamer

I click "play" after logging in, and get the "tinkle" noise and nothing happens. I wait and wait ... I click the greyed-out "play" and it goes bright & shiny again.

No game play.

EDIT to add possibly relevant info: Darth Malgus server is my home. Windows 10. restarting the PC does not fix the problem.

EDIT EDIT: non-Steam version. I am no techie expert, but it seems like the connection between the launcher and the game is broken.

Edited by Syrlex
  • Like 2

So I went in to Properties and unselected the run in compatible mode to Win XP pack 3 and then was immediately able to log in. Not sure if that helped or maybe it was something else, but it worked. The Devs said we may need to select "run in compatible mode" and since I already was, I tried unselecting it.

I'm running Windows 10 and also having a similar issue.  I finished downloading the update, heard the start-up sound indicating the launcher was ready to go, clicked on the "Play" button and ... nothing.

I also read the Dev post regarding 64-bit compatibility issues.  I went to Properties only to see that my compatibility box was already unchecked.

Edited by Sorrai

8 minutes ago, Jhemi said:

So I went in to Properties and unselected the run in compatible mode to Win XP pack 3 and then was immediately able to log in. Not sure if that helped or maybe it was something else, but it worked. The Devs said we may need to select "run in compatible mode" and since I already was, I tried unselecting it.

Thanks that worked for me

27 minutes ago, Syrlex said:

I click "play" after logging in, and get the "tinkle" noise and nothing happens. I wait and wait ... I click the greyed-out "play" and it goes bright & shiny again.

No game play.

EDIT to add possibly relevant info: Darth Malgus server is my home. Windows 10. restarting the PC does not fix the problem.

EDIT EDIT: non-Steam version. I am no techie expert, but it seems like the connection between the launcher and the game is broken.

I am experiencing exactly the same thing (and on the same server), with the same details.

Ugh. Seriously? Direct X 9?  The link JackieKo gave doesn't come with any instructions on where the files should be installed.  @JackieKo, please help us out and offer some suggestions.  I'm not a technical expert and would rather not install some old program I'm unfamiliar with in some random folder on my computer.

Ok, let's pretend for a moment that not every SWTOR player and the entire world is made up solely of game software developers. Because they're not!

If this "DX9" is suddenly critical to running the SWTOR software, why isn't it included in the patch update? Why isn't its installation as a requirement included in the patch notes? Why isn't it available for download on the SWTOR website? Why aren't instructions for its installation and use available on the SWTOR website? Sounds like EA dropped the ball in a major way here because, right now, SWTOR is completely unplayable for a lot of people who did nothing more than download EA's patch like they were supposed to, log in by providing the information that they were supposed to, and click the Play button like they were supposed to.

😡

EDIT: And now that I've gotten the whining out of my system, I'm going to put my big boy pants on.

I got it to work. Here's how...

1) Download the DirectX 9 executable using the link posted to this forum that takes you to the Microsoft website. The download should automatically trigger; you'll need to save the file to a local file on your hard drive. If the download does not auto-trigger, click the big red DOWNLOAD button on the webpage.

2) Run the downloaded DirectX 9 executable (i.e., double-left click on it). Note this will NOT install DirectX 9; it will ask for a location on your hard drive that it will extract the installation files to. Either use a folder you already have or create one first, then run the DirectX 9 executable you downloaded from the Microsoft website.

3) Once you've extracted the files from the downloaded executable to your folder, go into that folder. Find and run the executable file named "DXSETUP.exe". At this point, it will auto-install DX9 and tell you when it's done.

4) Try logging into and running SWTOR.

Hope this helps. And EA/BioWare, 1) this should never have been a problem for the player base, and 2) if SWTOR required DX9, it should be included and auto-installed in any major client patch or at least the link and in-depth instructions should be on the SWTOR website. Speaking as a retired software developer/engineer with 24 years in the business, shame on you.

Edited by SSBragancia
  • Thanks 1

• Dev Post

Hi all, 

I'm trying to keep track of all the updates, but if you are experiencing an issue of not being able to log in/play, can you please confirm in ONE post if: 

• Adding the app to your Antivirus/firewall allowlist did not work
  • Updating DX9 did not work. (Note that if you had it installed before but it now no longer working, you will need to update it)
  • Unchecking compatibility did not work
11 minutes ago, Syrlex said:

According to Vulkk, (in an old video) you can put DX9 anywhere. 

This is correct. 

Additionally, I am updating this thread as needed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1. Adding app to firewall didn't affect anything (it was already set to be allowed, nothing changed)

2. I am running DX12, is it necessary to go backwards in versions to run the game now?

3. Compatibility mode was never checked, nothing to uncheck.

Additionally: I am running Windows 10.

Edited by Katahn

6 minutes ago, SSBragancia said:

Ok, let's pretend for a moment that not every SWTOR player and the entire world is made up solely of game software developers. Because they're not!

If this "DX9" is suddenly critical to running the SWTOR software, why isn't it included in the patch update? Why isn't its installation as a requirement included in the patch notes? Why isn't it available for download on the SWTOR website? Why aren't instructions for its installation and use available on the SWTOR website? Sounds like EA dropped the ball in a major way here because, right now, SWTOR is completely unplayable for a lot of people who did nothing more than download EA's patch like they were supposed to, log in by providing the information that they were supposed to, and click the Play button like they were supposed to.

😡

When is this mess going to be cleaned up, EA?!?

You want to know the real kicker?  After doing some forum digging, I found several posts in the PTS that pointed out this issue.

• Dev Post
4 minutes ago, Fenrirxero said:

I do not run a separate AV/Firewall (other than what comes with Windows10).

Can you please confirm that you added the app to the program that comes with Windows 10 and you're still not able to play/log in? 

• Haha 1