The latest Huttball trend (a short rant)

VegaMist

I'm really tired of the latest Huttball trend when 75%+ of one of the teams (and occasionally both) are not even trying to play the game and just pass the ball around. It sucks to be on the opposite team, and it equally sucks to end up on a team that's doing it - regardless of the match outcome. It's boring, frustrating, and a waste of time. And yes, I'm just ranting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Only downsides of holding the ball, typically people who aren't willing to die (I know it's silly, it's intentional to eventually die in 8v8 even more so specifically this mode) for the objective are just going to throw it away. Same goes for those wholly unprepared for PvP. 
Gone are the days pugs fully understand what's going on. What most are used to was coming off of 8v8 ranked where objectives were serious, nowadays they never were taken serious for most players who've come to the game since. Chances are a lot have no idea what to do nor want to. 

I've learned to lower my standards to quite literally to nothing, hence why I stopped being a more objective based player long long ago due to the frustration it created and found another source of fun. I still to this day don't see how most can withstand still playing this way with the state that pugs are in. I know most drink, but I am not a fan.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, VegaMist said:

I'm really tired of the latest Huttball trend when 75%+ of one of the teams (and occasionally both) are not even trying to play the game and just pass the ball around. It sucks to be on the opposite team, and it equally sucks to end up on a team that's doing it - regardless of the match outcome. It's boring, frustrating, and a waste of time. And yes, I'm just ranting.

That’s not new. People who just want to death match have been doing this for many years. 

2 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

That’s not new. People who just want to death match have been doing this for many years. 

There is no death match - they just hang out somewhere on the map passing the ball around barely doing anything. They'll only fight you if you fight them.

2 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

There is no death match - they just hang out somewhere on the map passing the ball around barely doing anything. They'll only fight you if you fight them.

its a winning strat, technically

the team that has the ball in the end wins, scoring a goal is not required

27 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

🤦‍♀️ oh dear 😂

They’re obviously trying to farm medals from passing the ball. 

The best thing to do if they are doing that is to try & intercept the ball. You can do that if youre on their team or the opposing team. Then try running it to the goal.

You can also bet that if they need to do that to get medals, they aren’t good at combat, so just try & farm them for kills till you get the ball.

29 minutes ago, ZUHFB said:

its a winning strat, technically

the team that has the ball in the end wins, scoring a goal is not required

True, but that only works if the other team isn’t able to kill your ball handlers. It’s a very risky strategy to play 8 mins & lose at the last second because someone from the other team kills your ball handler or intercepts the ball.

5 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

True, but that only works if the other team isn’t able to kill your ball handlers. It’s a very risky strategy to play 8 mins & lose at the last second because someone from the other team kills your ball handler or intercepts the ball.

I know. And it's been done. The groups that engage in it do not seem to care much though - not enough at least to alter the behavior.

Just now, VegaMist said:

I know. And it's been done. The groups that engage in it do not seem to care much though - not enough at least to alter the behavior.

It might be worth recoding this behaviour & sending it to BioWare to review.

From how you’re describing it, it sets off a few red flags for me. 

The obvious reason they are doing it is for medals for the pvp season.

But if people killing them or stealing the ball isn’t stopping them from going straight back to it, then it’s possibly a group trying to exploit the game mechanics to get medals for rewards.

If you don’t want to record the behaviour, try writing down the names & if you always see the same group doing it, then it’s a safe bet they’re in a premade & might even be running bot characters to do this. Which is against the rules.

Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if that’s going on. People found ways to game the ranked system to maximise their rewards each season. From exploiting to hacking to wintrading.

If there is a low effort way, some people always find that way because they either haven’t the skills or the time to play properly. Some will even sell their services to others & people will pay real $$ to them because they’re lazy.

If it concerns you or pisses you off enough, just send that info to BioWare. Then it’s up to them to decide if they can be bothered to investigate to see what’s happening. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 11:45 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

exploit the game mechanics to get medals for rewards.

I don't know about "exploit". It sounds like a team playing the match how they want to play and the enemy being helpless to do anything about it. If you are helpless to do anything to stop them then rightfully so they should keep at it. Clearly it's working as intended by Bioware otherwise they would've never programmed for teams with 0 points and the ball to win to begin with. The best result would be for Bioware to get rid of Huttball all together.

On 1/23/2023 at 10:45 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

It might be worth recoding this behaviour & sending it to BioWare to review.

From how you’re describing it, it sets off a few red flags for me. 

The obvious reason they are doing it is for medals for the pvp season.

But if people killing them or stealing the ball isn’t stopping them from going straight back to it, then it’s possibly a group trying to exploit the game mechanics to get medals for rewards.

If you don’t want to record the behaviour, try writing down the names & if you always see the same group doing it, then it’s a safe bet they’re in a premade & might even be running bot characters to do this. Which is against the rules.

Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if that’s going on. People found ways to game the ranked system to maximise their rewards each season. From exploiting to hacking to wintrading.

If there is a low effort way, some people always find that way because they either haven’t the skills or the time to play properly. Some will even sell their services to others & people will pay real $$ to them because they’re lazy.

If it concerns you or pisses you off enough, just send that info to BioWare. Then it’s up to them to decide if they can be bothered to investigate to see what’s happening. 

yup and send via email to
pvpReports@swtor.com

• Haha 4

On 1/24/2023 at 2:19 AM, TrixxieTriss said:

They’re obviously trying to farm medals from passing the ball. 

How many passes do you need to get a significant amount of medals?

Yesterday i was in a match, victory for us. I made 2 goals and several succesful passes and only got 7 medals.

I know the old medals with oudated thredholds were too easy, but this is not fun. It means that in order to get 8+ medals at one point in the match i need to start tunnel vision dpsing people even if just tossing them off platform would be better for my team.

• Like 2

A working PVP ignore would be nice. I'd be willing to sit longer in a queue if it meant I didn't have to see those "toxic" players in matches. Maybe put an expiration on it (resets each month or something like that). Some sort of setting that allows me to choose not to be matched with or against premades too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2023 at 4:17 AM, NicoleMay said:

What happened with Odessen???

It is in low priority because people that hate objectives complained too much.

It seems that learning 4 colors and a little coordination in chat is too much to ask.

• Sad 1