Why not just come full circle on classes

CKNORTH

Yeah, i haven't played in about 5 years, but coming back is a little like, What in the....

I suppose if fixing things not needing fixing is a way of fixing the lack of fixing things. Why not just toss it all up in the air Admit mistakes Have been made rebuild the epic loss and bring back cookie cutter builds in 1.5 - 3.0? At least it was fun making FoTM builds. But lighting coming out the.... at the Jedi temple is well. counterproductive? just some thoughts.

10 hours ago, CKNORTH said:

and bring back cookie cutter builds in 1.5 - 3.0?

I was there for 3.0. No thanks. I'm liking the current evolution. Took a while until the Hyde and Zeek mod vendor quests came out, but I'm liking both gearing and class development better.

4 hours ago, xordevoreaux said:

I was there for 3.0. No thanks. I'm liking the current evolution. Took a while until the Hyde and Zeek mod vendor quests came out, but I'm liking both gearing and class development better.

Actually I kind of take back what I was saying, just takes some getting used to, but the feel of a sub class does make things rather interesting.

19 minutes ago, TonyTricicolo said:

I'd love a system where you can pick and choose from an assortment of all abilities in each category, force or tech, and can make your own class.

We had that ( 'hybrids' ) in SWG  during Pre-cu & CU eras , to some extent,  and it worked great (until JEDI caused SOE to cave to the whiners) .  But of course that was sandbox game.

SWTOR is theme-park type game (for better or worse)  and so even though during 3.0 era   there was sort of a hybrid  skill-tree system here, BioWare hasn't ever seemed to want that.

Typically,  game-developers  despise hybrids  (or any player freedoms tbqh)  because it makes their job of  trying to "balance"  Combat  wayyyyy harder than they want it to be.

To BioWare's credit, the whole  7.0  'combat styles'  thing was at least an attempt to satisfy hybrid-lovers and probably the best they can offer while still being able to manage/maintain mythical Combat "balance" . (which really isn't ever truly possible in MMO's with inventive & imaginative HUMAN players always a step or 2 ahead of the coders)

Edited by Nee-Elder
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, CKNORTH said:

Or Buy the Rights to the original SWG and its subsequent servers for a relaunch

No need, since that has already occurred.  ( SOE/LucasArts  granted conditional non-profit & open-source permissions to the original 'SWGEmu' group, from which all other eventual public & private servers utilized their/our CODE )

4 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

No need, since that has already occurred.  ( SOE/LucasArts  granted conditional non-profit & open-source permissions to the original 'SWGEmu' group, from which all other eventual public & private servers utilized their/our CODE )

LucasArts was based as hell.

15 hours ago, TonyTricicolo said:

I'd love a system where you can pick and choose from all abilities in each category, either force or tech, and make your own class. Furthermore, there should be no weapon restrictions tied to abilities.

That sounds like a proper nightmare to balance and maintain. Also would probably wreck any feeling of uniqueness to each class.

Would work if the game was not MMO where other people exist, maybe.

Also, how do you imagine shooting abilities would work if you were wielding a blade?

18 hours ago, TonyTricicolo said:

I'd love a system where you can pick and choose from all abilities in each category, either force or tech, and make your own class. Furthermore, there should be no weapon restrictions tied to abilities.

I still love the old Knight of the Old Republic games. And I also remember my experiments with making gunslinging jedi. A nightmare. While very fun, it was also near impossible to make any kind of good build, if you mixed base class with the wrong advanced class. Especially in the first game, because level restriction to 20, but also in 2 because unless you really exploited (or directly cheated) some of the xp exploits like the Shyrack tomb on Korriban, you would not get above lvl 35 at best. Making you sort of jack of all trades, master of none. 

And they are single player games. Imagine the problems involved in making it work in SWTOR. While everything is viable in single player story mode, and most low level veteran mode content, I would hate, really hate, having a player using a mix-match set up in harder group content. 

Edited by MortenJessen
Spelling