Combat Trainers

JigokuSenshiDesu

So, for quite some time now, people haven't had to use trainers to upgrade powers as we level up.  Yet you keep them in-game where they serve no purpose.  I for one, wouldn't mind having them be reactivated.  Many already have holographic ability trainers in their inventory which have no purpose either now, for instance the Dr. Oggurobb Hutt Holo statue.  So they're currently in storage, or deleted by the user from their inventory.

With all these patches for this or that, you leave these areas with NPC trainers with nothing to do or a reason for a player to stop there.  That makes this part of the station feel very odd especially to a new player, if your intent is to get new people to stay.

• Like 2

As noted, they still teach Speeder Piloting ranks 1 to 3 (but not 4 and 5 which must be learned from the Legacy panel or a CM item).

I actually prefer being able to mostly ignore their existence.

Oh, and the other thing they do is act as mission turn-in NPCs for the old "meet your trainer" missions.  Noteworthy: those missions are now offered later in the starter world than before, and don't really make as much sense at that point.

16 hours ago, Setta said:

I prefer the old method of seeing a trainer to get skills.  I know it's less convenient but I'm old school I guess. 

Me too yep,  so much more immersive  it was that way.  ( Plus it reminded me more of SWG my favorite! )

11 hours ago, felleto said:

Make trainers teach stuff again!

Since they're basically worthless now, because BioWare either forgot to remove them or just hasn't gotten around to updating them (with whatever) yet ,  how about  convert them to train (list) stuff like  what's already within the in-game 'Tutorials'  ?  ( including more current 7.0 era 'gearing'  options & such )

• Like 2

I like this one. I missed the moment where you have to visit combat trainers to learn new skills or upgrade them. It makes things more interesting. Maybe have the option where you either instantly learn a new skill via level or just visit the trainer and learn new ones from there? Just something to consider.

5 hours ago, _Re_V_aN_ said:

Maybe combat trainer should us allow to change second combat style?

"could", sure, but I'm not convinced it's automatically a "should".  At the very least, the change should be constrained to be once every N months (or less often if you're happy with your choices, naturally).  N should be something like 6, 9, or even 12.

Idk about you guys but It is beyond me why bioware changes some things. The trainers not teaching is one of these decisions. Like were there people actively complaining about this?

Another thing is companion unique skills. I understand adding all the specializations to all the companions, but making all these specializations generic to all companions just baffles me. Add the new specializations but don't remove the unique skills for those that existed. Please, bring them back T-T 

11 minutes ago, felleto said:

making all these specializations generic to all companions just baffles me

Really a discussion for another thread, a discussion which has been equally beat to death, and you'll find people for and against it. Short of it: Back in the day, life sucked when you really wanted  a healer companion for what you were currently working on and you were only so far into your story and your first companion was DPS only, etc.

6 minutes ago, xordevoreaux said:

Back in the day, life sucked when you really wanted  a healer companion for what you were currently working on and you were only so far into your story and your first companion was DPS only, etc.

Only if you weren't in a guild or didn't have any nice friends to group with though.

Personally, i found the game more interesting back then (challenge wise) since it forced more players to not only group together ( being MMO & all ) but also to learn their Class & tactics & such.

Homogenization of companions has, in some respects, also homogenized a large portion of the playerbase.

i offered a potential replacement option for Trainers going forward in my earlier post, but i'm sure others ( including maybe BioWare? ) can think of more creative ideas too.

I just feel sad Blizz doesn't have his bazzoka anymore. He is my favorite companion of all time. Trainers used to be a huge money sink back in the day (something that some people argue is necessary nowadays to fight the rising prices of stuff in the GTN), I would love Bioware to revert them to their initial stage back when the game came out. Usually reverting changes takes developers forever to getting around to doing, one can dream this will not be the case, but the history of this game shows otherwise unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, xordevoreaux said:

Really a discussion for another thread, a discussion which has been equally beat to death, and you'll find people for and against it. Short of it: Back in the day, life sucked when you really wanted  a healer companion for what you were currently working on and you were only so far into your story and your first companion was DPS only, etc.

The worst of all being the Inquisitor, whose old-style healer-role companion arrives on Hoth of all places, and proceeds, part way through the initial section, while he isn't really a companion yet, to ignore you because he thinks a door is more interesting than you.

At this point just remove them all and put a speeder piloting guy in their place. 

Wish they didn't go that route, because I think learning skills from a trainer is still better for immersion. Or at least giving the option for players to play however they like. If you want skills to be learned automatically or not. Then again I can see the removal of the trainers for a speeder piloting teacher of sorts.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:13 PM, Nee-Elder said:

Only if you weren't in a guild or didn't have any nice friends to group with though.

Personally, i found the game more interesting back then (challenge wise) since it forced more players to not only group together ( being MMO & all ) but also to learn their Class & tactics & such.

Homogenization of companions has, in some respects, also homogenized a large portion of the playerbase.

i offered a potential replacement option for Trainers going forward in my earlier post, but i'm sure others ( including maybe BioWare? ) can think of more creative ideas too.

I completely agree.  Everything has become very homogenized.

Now for some numbers...

MMO Server Population & Player Count - MMO Populations (mmo-population.com)

World of Warcraft as of today has 2.37 million players.  "Active" players....  1st place of MMO's.

Classic World of Warcraft which is looked at differently, has 524.94 thousand.  7th place.

The Old Republic has 217.61 thousand. 19th place.  That's not great....  19?!?

Even Star Citizen which isn't even out yet and only a playable Alpha testing has 529.19 thousand, in 9th place!  That game, as I've played it, is going to be wicked time consuming, needing to learn skills by actually doing them like a medic needs to know what drugs do what and maybe needing to medevac a person based off their wounds as perma-death concerns are a thing.  Yes, regeneration is there but due to DNA degradation, your character will eventually "die" with many respawns and limb replacements.  And don't get me started on refueling, repairing, rearming ships and the costs associated with.  Needing to eat and shower.  Yes...shower...  Those are all in the plans.  You do have to eat/drink now.

Anyways....

This all falls back onto the Trainers post above.  While The Old Republic keeps expanding the Universe, it tackles things that a vocal minority complain about...or maybe it's the other way around...I don't know.  Even though they continually expand the game, they seem to have lost something.  Certainly the Outlander didn't help...but when a Space Station feels empty, you need to fix it.

And perhaps, the time to do things...the immersion it brings, is a good thing....

2 hours ago, JigokuSenshiDesu said:

SW: The Old Republic has 217.61 thousand. 19th place.  That's not great....  19?!?

ugh, really?

Gosh that's sorta  sad now that i see it in numbers like that, considering it's the STAR WARS  brand & all .

I'm starting to wonder/worry if maybe the Ubisoft SW game is about to do to SWTOR in 2024 what SWTOR did to SWG in 2011/2012. :cool:

Edited by Nee-Elder