Decoration hook sizes

TheScthe

I've been looking at the recent Galactic Season 3 rewards and have been reminded through it of a persistent issue that has plagued decorations for a while - the selection of what hooks the decoration will go on.

The new season decorations are, without a doubt, excellent additions to the directory visually, but some of them are rendered next to useless due to the hook they need. The Iokath Crystal Power Converter and Iokath Holder Claw in particular both only take large hooks, despite the decorations profile easily fitting within the scope of a medium hook. Large hooks are less common in strongholds, and when used to place decorations that are far smaller than the hook itself result in the decoration looking lonely in the stronghold. It reduces opportunity to be creative with arranging decorations, and this means the decorations have less practical uses.

Recently, matters appear to have been going in the right direction when it comes to hook selection, which makes it a shame that the recent season has broken this philosophy. Can all decorations be reviewed as to which hooks they take - all decorations should be placable on any hook that allows the decoration to be lifted after placement - a long thin decoration, for example, should be placable on a medium narrow, for example, like the Imperial worktable (alert status), or the Carrick and Vaiken station ceiling sections could fit on a small hook, as despite the size of the decorations themselves, they can still be lifted from a small hook once placed- meaning that the collision of the decoration won't prevent the mouse from reaching it's hook.

There is a massive list of decorations that would be made much more useful for decoration by becoming placable on smaller hooks, which would significantly improve the enjoyment of decorating but also improve sales of the packs that contain them.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 10:08 PM, TheScthe said:

I've been looking at the recent Galactic Season 3 rewards and have been reminded through it of a persistent issue that has plagued decorations for a while - the selection of what hooks the decoration will go on.

The new season decorations are, without a doubt, excellent additions to the directory visually, but some of them are rendered next to useless due to the hook they need. The Iokath Crystal Power Converter and Iokath Holder Claw in particular both only take large hooks, despite the decorations profile easily fitting within the scope of a medium hook. Large hooks are less common in strongholds, and when used to place decorations that are far smaller than the hook itself result in the decoration looking lonely in the stronghold. It reduces opportunity to be creative with arranging decorations, and this means the decorations have less practical uses.

Recently, matters appear to have been going in the right direction when it comes to hook selection, which makes it a shame that the recent season has broken this philosophy. Can all decorations be reviewed as to which hooks they take - all decorations should be placable on any hook that allows the decoration to be lifted after placement - a long thin decoration, for example, should be placable on a medium narrow, for example, like the Imperial worktable (alert status), or the Carrick and Vaiken station ceiling sections could fit on a small hook, as despite the size of the decorations themselves, they can still be lifted from a small hook once placed- meaning that the collision of the decoration won't prevent the mouse from reaching it's hook.

There is a massive list of decorations that would be made much more useful for decoration by becoming placable on smaller hooks, which would significantly improve the enjoyment of decorating but also improve sales of the packs that contain them.

I noticed that there are another set of starship hook decorations in GS3. I really hate when they do this. Starship hooks are few and it's kind of crazy that some of these decos are not centerpiece instead. I would really like to see them add a new hook size that is between centerpiece and starship allowing some of these larger decorations to be placed there instead. Also give us the ability to modify the starship hook. I want personnel standing around my ship.

And yes, a lot of smaller decorations requiring larger hooks is absurd. I really wish they would rework some of these.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wish they would get rid of the Star Ship sized hooks and make the hooks and their decorations use the Centerpiece hooks.

Yes, we know, those Star Ship sized decorations will clip, but hey, that's fine, let players decide if they want to let decorations clip.

Edited by illgot
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With the release of more and more decorations from various sources(cartel, vendors, FPs/Ops GS/PVP, achievements etc). I think it is high time they go over all the SHs with a fine tooth comb. I'm talking about a major update strictly for strongholds and decorations.  There are multiple threads suggesting how we can improve the current state of decorating as a whole. 

A few that come to mind are: 

1. Extending x,y,z degrees to +/- 20.  This will allow us to make decorations flush with the wall.
  2. Ability to remove "preplaced" terminals. They feel like they were just thrown in there with no regard to decorators. I want to place my dummies, cutscene terms and spawn points where I want to place them. 
  3. Add more hooks, like everywhere! Stop being stingy with the hooks! There are so many open parts of the larger SHs that just scream "feed me!" Always start with the most largest possible hook and let that hook have smaller hooks inside it.

Last, but not least, please for the love of baby yoda have the guy who makes the decorations talk to the hook guy so we can get some quality control and assurance. Assigning small decorations to huge hooks has to stop, for real! 

• Like 2

As an addition to my last post, I just checked out the new decorations from the reputation vendor on Ruh'Nuk and some are HUGE!! A majority of them either require a massive structure/starship or a centerpiece hook. Due to the limited number of the "special" hooks, people will have to choose if they want a starship or one of the new decorations.  The concerning part for me is that the strongholds with starship hooks are designed with the intent to put a starship there.  I think it would be rather awkward to put a giant drill or excavator on a landing pad but I think it's all in the context of which stronghold you are decorating. Anyway, I am thoroughly impressed with the new decorations. I'm willing to bet some people will be shocked on how large they are. I wish the devs consider making these humongous decorations on large hooks because the massive/starship and centerpieces are already too precious to waste.

On 12/3/2022 at 7:37 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

Or just do away with hooks and allow free placement, as found in e.g. ESO or Runes of Magic.

I never played ESO or Runes of Magic but I'd literally shi7 my pants if they incorporated SWG's Force Shui

Edited by TonyTricicolo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyTricicolo said:

I never played ESO but I'd literally ____ my pants if they incorporated SWG's Force Shui

They won't, since the SWTOR game engine couldn't handle it and also doesn't  define 'objects'  as unique separate serial #'s  like SWG did with practically every object in the game.

Also: ESO's  deco system is garbage compared to SWG's.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2022 at 1:08 PM, TheScthe said:

... Can all decorations be reviewed as to which hooks they take - all decorations should be placable on any hook that allows the decoration to be lifted after placement - a long thin decoration, for example, should be placable on a medium narrow, for example, like the Imperial worktable (alert status), or the Carrick and Vaiken station ceiling sections could fit on a small hook, as despite the size of the decorations themselves, they can still be lifted from a small hook once placed- meaning that the collision of the decoration won't prevent the mouse from reaching it's hook.

Would totally love to see that! As just one example, Mek-Sha Pirate's Couch requires a medium or large hook, while the most logical hook one would want to place it on would be Medium Narrow - it makes no sense that it doesn't go on it. They could easily fixed so many issues just by adding extra flexibility to multiple decorations that badly need it. Please, don't remove any of the existing ones to avoid decorations being suddenly lifted - just make some decos placeable on more hooks.