Possible to merge Satele Shan server and Star Forge server?

illgot

Just now, illgot said:

If /who only shows 100 people max, how are you getting solid numbers past 100? The only solid information I can get are the number of instances, if they are depopulating, available, or full.

Satele Shan we have two instances of fleet, neither are full.

Star Forge we have four instances of fleet, one instance is full, two instances are not full, the fourth instance is depopulating.

where are you getting solid numbers of 168 on Satele Shan, 231 on Star Froge, and 232 on Darth maglus?

How long have you been playing this game? it tells you in the corner how many players online in that area in that instance, be it fleet or planet, stronghold Operation Flashpoint. Yes, using the WHO only gives you the first 100, but the number in the corner is the amount online which updates every 20-30 seconds. So, FYI if on fleet and it says 135, that is the number on fleet on that instance, if there are two fleet instances, it will only give the number on the one you are on. There is no way at present time to know how many in total are online on your server, let alone online across all of them.

27 minutes ago, DreadtechSavant said:

How long have you been playing this game? it tells you in the corner how many players online in that area in that instance, be it fleet or planet, stronghold Operation Flashpoint. Yes, using the WHO only gives you the first 100, but the number in the corner is the amount online which updates every 20-30 seconds. So, FYI if on fleet and it says 135, that is the number on fleet on that instance, if there are two fleet instances, it will only give the number on the one you are on. There is no way at present time to know how many in total are online on your server, let alone online across all of them.

since release but I forgot about moving to the different instances directly and adding up the count. Someone on fleet showed me how to do change fleets and check again.

Saturday Night at 8PM EST we have 304 people on Star Forge and 116 people on Satele Shan. Star Forge has nearly 300% of the population of Satele Shan at 8PM on a Saturday Night. Again, not even enough to fill a single instance.

It's very rough because you can't count the people on the depopulating instances and people are logging in and out constantly along with Fleet just being a hub and not reflective of the population as a whole, just a small indicator.

Edited by illgot

2 minutes ago, illgot said:

since release but I forgot about moving to the different instances directly and adding up the count. Someone on fleet showed me how to do change fleets and check again.

Saturday Night at 8PM EST we have 304 people on Star Forge and 116 people on Satele Shan. That is nearly triple the population on Star Forge.

It's very rough because you can't count the people on the depopulating instances and people are logging in and out constantly along with Fleet just being a hub and not reflective of the population as a whole, just a small indicator.

Not that simple. How many online is meaningless in the content you are talking about. Yes they are both US servers, but they also still serve two time zones for the most part. I have been on SS when over 200 on fleet but less than 100 on SF. 1 hour after you just did your count the number could be in reverse with more on SS. Looking at a 4 min window does not in any way count. Sorry it just does not. We can all do that, I could go on Darth Malgus now and say not many on DM, servers need to be merged. Then again it's 1.30am here. There were 4 instances at one point today. 

Becoming obsessed with these number is ruining you game time. The main point however is you have no right to ask other player to be forcible moved to another server to suit you. It was wrong last time, and the time before that.

18 minutes ago, DreadtechSavant said:

Not that simple. How many online is meaningless in the content you are talking about. Yes they are both US servers, but they also still serve two time zones for the most part. I have been on SS when over 200 on fleet but less than 100 on SF. 1 hour after you just did your count the number could be in reverse with more on SS. Looking at a 4 min window does not in any way count. Sorry it just does not. We can all do that, I could go on Darth Malgus now and say not many on DM, servers need to be merged. Then again it's 1.30am here. There were 4 instances at one point today. 

Becoming obsessed with these number is ruining you game time. The main point however is you have no right to ask other player to be forcible moved to another server to suit you. It was wrong last time, and the time before that.

Time zones. Both Satele Shan and Star Forge servers are in the same location. There is no East Coast/West Coast server anymore. Satele Shan and Star Forge are two NA servers without any official time,  location, RP, or PvP designations. New players who make characters have no idea what players have unofficially designated the servers and it makes no real difference... because they are both physically in the same location.

It's 1 AM UTC on a Sunday morning for Darth Malgus and they have 83 players when I counted. Same time but 8 PM EST on Saturday night at Satele Shan only has 116 players. It's a bit unfair to judge prime time for one server vs 1 AM on another server. I can stay up until 1 AM and do a player count for Satele Shan if you really want to compare.

I can not say much about the EU server populations other than LV is pretty much dead. Talking to players on DM it seemed most of the LV population has already moved to DM. Maybe LV and DM should officially merge and channels set up for French/English, even German if the TH population is low.

Edited by illgot

The location is the same yes, but the player base is not for the most part. 

And no LV is not dead as you claim. I play on all servers daily. I get my 500 conquest point on 10 different guilds. two per server weekly. I do two characters to 100 points one on each faction then move on to next server. So sorry just don't agree with your assessment on LV.

I was on SS yesterday at 8am UK time. not sure what time that is for you. But your 8pm is 8pm for you. might not for everyone else. Still got 4 WB's done. 

You really are obsessed with numbers. I will say it again just for you. What right do you have to forcibly move another player(s) to suit you. You can just move your characters to SF. You don't need to merge severs to do that. Don't won't to pay to move, yet don't care if there is a financial cost to anyone else. 

Edited by DreadtechSavant
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, DreadtechSavant said:

The location is the same yes, but the player base is not for the most part. 

And no LV is not dead as you claim. I play on all servers daily. I get my 500 conquest point on 10 different guilds. two per server weekly. I do two characters to 100 points one on each faction then move on to next server. So sorry just don't agree with your assessment on LV.

and why does it matter where a player lives for merging Satele Shan and Star Forge if the servers are in the same physical location?

The player base is not going to be confused where their characters are located if the servers merge since there will only be one NA server. A server merge would not change the daily reset timers and players will still access their characters when they normally do... just with a greater pool of players who will PvP/PvE/Raid/etc.

Edited by illgot

It will only help those players who do not get ignored because of their behavior.  For those that are on ignored, it will not help.

As I stated before, no, thank you.  I do not want more problems with the roleplay because some individuals think they can dictate where people can have their roleplay and become jerks about it.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, illgot said:

If /who only shows 100 people max, how are you getting solid numbers past 100? The only solid information I can get are which instance the first 100 people are located in, the number of instances of Fleet based on the map, their status of depopulating, available, or full.

where are you getting solid numbers of 168 on Satele Shan, 231 on Star Froge, and 232 on Darth maglus?

Um, the total number of players in a planet/fleet instance is shown on the status bar at the upper left of your screen. It's pretty basic math to just add up the totals. 🤔

Edited by JediQuaker
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, JediQuaker said:

Um, the total number of players in a planet/fleet instance is shown on the status bar at the upper left of your screen. It's pretty basic math to just add up the totals. 🤔

thanks, someone on fleet reminded me about that last night, I found that on Saturday Night at 8PM EST we have 304 people on Star Forge on Fleet and 116 people on Satele Shan on Fleet.  The population then dropped to less than 80 people on Satele Shan by 10 PM (two instances, one instance depopulating, the second I was in was still open).

Edited by illgot

4 hours ago, JediQuaker said:

Correct and even that is incorrect as it doesn't take into account those who are Anon.

• Confused 1

One issue is unlocked character slots. These are not added together in the merger while the number of characters is. If you have a base of 24 "free" slots from your subscription status and bought 6 slots on two different servers you have 36 slots on the merged server (24 for your subscription status and 6 from each of the servers that you bought). If you had a full stable of characters on each server (for a total of 60 characters), you still have 60 characters after the merger but can't create any new characters until you purchase enough slots to go over the 60 characters or you have or delete enough characters to get below the 36 slots you have in the example. People who have been through several server merges at this point have a number of characters far exceeding their available slots so they are unable to create new characters.

It's simple enough to transfer a few characters to a new server or just create them there so we don't need a server merger (you can boost a new character to 70 easily and level 70 to 80 is pretty fast with the new content (7.0) rewarding obscene xp). A sale on character transfers might be in order but that would depopulate the smaller server even faster. Too many of the people wanting server merges are looking for free character transfers.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AbsolutGrndZero said:

NO,please not another server merge. I am sick of losing names (and don't want to be the cause of someone else losing a name.)

which is why it will not happen. EA knows if they did it again they would have to end the game as they would alienate a lot of the community and lose even more money. Those who want to play on Star Forge just need to man up ,shut up, and make new characters on there. 

2 hours ago, AbsolutGrndZero said:

NO,please not another server merge. I am sick of losing names (and don't want to be the cause of someone else losing a name.)

I sometimes wonder why it never dawned on Bioware to make something like a character / user ID, so that characters with the same name can still be told apart. Phantasy Star Online 1 did this twenty years ago.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BenKatarn said:

I sometimes wonder why it never dawned on Bioware to make something like a character / user ID, so that characters with the same name can still be told apart.

I think because originally our Account Name was supposed to = "user ID", so to speak. 

Plus, instead  they at least  implemented  'Legacy Names' .  Although, for some odd reason they allow multiple players to have the exact SAME  Legacy name (same spelling too) .   I guess maybe so  RL families could maintain the same 'family'  in-game?

Oh and unfortunately  they eventually allowed  those ridiculous  'alt keyboard' symbols/characters  that seem to come from the dark-web. :csw_deathstar_un:

Edited by Nee-Elder

On 9/22/2022 at 5:58 PM, MadDutchman said:

Ugh, please no.

Server character cap issues, name conflicts and overcrowding just for what? So PvP players get faster pops on off hours?

Star Forge is already busier than I like. I'm constantly having to switch to other instances to get away from the crowds, and it doesn't always work as those can be busy too.

Very easy for you to say from the elite side. If you were suffering on Satele Shan like the rest of us, you would be begging for a merge too. The SS server is literally dead at all hours of the day. You can go all Friday night, all Sunday and all Saturday without doing a single Op because there are simply no players online. If you're lucky, you'll see maybe 65 people on the republic fleet at one time.

It's not just PvP. It's everything. No GF pops for Vet FPs, MM FPs, Ops, Uprisings. Barely ever any pugs. Go to any planet, the player count is 1. It might be more if you're lucky, but never ever more than 10.

There's probably a total of 250 people on Satele Shan in all planets, activities and instances (Both factions) combined at one time. I think SF could easy hold these people.

Edited by Traceguy
grammar, missing word

On 10/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, Nee-Elder said:

Plus, instead  they at least  implemented  'Legacy Names' .  Although, for some odd reason they allow multiple players to have the exact SAME  Legacy name (same spelling too) .   I guess maybe so  RL families could maintain the same 'family'  in-game?

They *changed* Legacy names to allow multiple players on a server to have the same Legacy name, in September 2012, patch 1.3.7.

And it was almost certainly for the reason you suggest and maybe some other similar things.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, Nee-Elder said:

Oh and unfortunately  they eventually allowed  those ridiculous  'alt keyboard' symbols/characters  that seem to come from the dark-web. :csw_deathstar_un:

Ñöt thîs ägàïñ.  Ñò, thésè ärë jùst ördìñâry äcçéñtèd lëttêrs.  Try telling a German that all those umlauts are ridiculous symbols from the dark web.  Or a Frenchman the same thing about those accents that are in some cases *essential* for telling words apart.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Traceguy said:

Very easy for you to say from the elite side. If you were suffering on Satele Shan like the rest of us, you would be begging for a merge too. The SS server is literally dead at all hours of the day. You can go all Friday night, all Sunday and all Saturday without doing a single Op because there are simply no players online. If you're lucky, you'll see maybe 65 people on the republic fleet at one time.

It's not just PvP. It's everything. No GF pops for Vet FPs, MM FPs, Ops, Uprisings. Barely ever any pugs. Go to any planet, the player count is 1. It might be more if you're lucky, but never ever more than 10.

There's probably a total of 250 people on Satele Shan in all planets, activities and instances (Both factions) combined at one time. I think SF could easy hold these people.

Not to be indelicate, but that's a Satele Shan problem. Not a Star Forge problem. It's unfortunate if that is the case over there, but most people on Star Forge it seems don't want a merger. We've seen that sentiment repeated many times in this string. We are happy with the state of things on Star Forge and we don't want that ruined. Bioware can have one unhappy server, or two unhappy servers.

This is a very easily solved issue however. For those that are unhappy on Satele Shan they have the option of transferring to Star Forge or creating new characters on Star Forge.

Furthermore, as I stated earlier in this discussion, if they ever do merge the servers, they are signing the games death warrant and they know it. If they don't have enough players for more than one server on the most populated continent on the planet and the birthplace of Star Wars, the writings on the wall for all to see. People don't want to waste time, money, and care on a sinking ship. The game population [overall] is already an issue. Potentially ruining the best server in the game is a really big risk and won't likely yield a happier player base.

The majority of Star Forge players are against any mergers. Should they occur, however, it should be Satale Shan's player base that has to take the loses incurred. They lose on all name conflicts or any other conflicts that mergers incur.

If you choose to stay on Satele Shan when you are unhappy there when you have the option of simply transferring to Star Forge, that's your decision. You're not stuck there.

Given that there are those two options available, a merger isn't necessary and why Star Forgers aren't willing to have to suffer for the sake of another server.

There is of course a democratic way of settling the issue. Let's take a vote. See how many people are for a merging of the servers and how many are against it. That way Bioware knows ahead of time what the reactions of the player bases involved will be in the majority. I think that's fair to everyone and it doesn't matter what any one individuals take on it is.

My vote is against a merger of Satele Shan and Star Forge.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Not to be indelicate, but that's a Satele Shan problem.

*snipped content*

My vote is against a merger of Satele Shan and Star Forge.

LOL.  You've made your position abundantly clear.  As someone who plays mainly on Satele Shan I also am not in favor of a server merge. 

That being said I wonder how you would feel if Satele Shan was your main server?  It stands to reason that your self-centered views would cause you to feel differently since you obviously value your own experience over all others.  Not to say that is wrong, just pointing out you clearly are not willing to accept any compromises or hindrances to your own gameplay experience. And yet you've had to endure at least one prior server merge and are still here.  I guess you must have had either little to no negative impact from prior server merge or got over any forced character renames.

13 hours ago, Char_Ell said:

LOL.  You've made your position abundantly clear.  As someone who plays mainly on Satele Shan I also am not in favor of a server merge. 

That being said I wonder how you would feel if Satele Shan was your main server?  It stands to reason that your self-centered views would cause you to feel differently since you obviously value your own experience over all others.  Not to say that is wrong, just pointing out you clearly are not willing to accept any compromises or hindrances to your own gameplay experience. And yet you've had to endure at least one prior server merge and are still here.  I guess you must have had either little to no negative impact from prior server merge or got over any forced character renames.

Flawed logic, pointing out the position of the majority is hardly self centered. Quite the opposite in fact. 

A better solution to this problem would be for BW to strongly encourage new or returning players to setup shop on the least populous server. Or if BW really saw it as a problem, they could offer discounts on transfers to SS to re-kindle the population

It won't help the OPs players much of course, they've already thoroughly established their cliques and are now sleeping in a bed of their own creation. (which is not to say all Ops players are like that, but the community as a whole has sealed its own fate really)

13 hours ago, Char_Ell said:

Why don't they just pay to transfer their own character(s). OH, as already mentioned they don't want to pay, but very happy to make everyone else pay real life money. I am F-sick to death of these players who don't want to pay out real money but more than happy for others to have to pay out real money to re-buy' character slots, or to endlessly have to sub to retain the character(s) they have already brought and paid for. 

As far as I am con-concerned its players like you who are self-centred. I have already paid out again 45-character slots at 600cc each. That was just 1 account, out of the ones I have.

Always expecting everyone else to compromise, to pay money out, yet do nothing themselves, absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 11:32 AM, SteveTheCynic said:

Try telling a German that all those umlauts are ridiculous symbols from the dark web.  Or a Frenchman the same thing about those accents that are in some cases *essential* for telling words apart.

uhh, i'm part French/German  and i still despise those keyboard symbol  things  lol

Seriously though , as a  GM , they really are awful & unnecessary to have  in SWTOR video game  because all they are is yet another tool for trolls/thieves to obfiscate names and avoid getting  guild-perma-banned.  :mad:

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: BioWare, why can't i ban players who are *offline* ?!?!

15 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

uhh, i'm part French/German  and i still despise those keyboard symbol  things  lol

Seriously though , as a  GM , they really are awful & unnecessary to have  in SWTOR video game  because all they are is yet another tool for trolls/thieves to obfiscate names and avoid getting  guild-perma-banned.  :mad:

As a well let's say older player who is a techno phoebe, I just never know how to find symbols, I can just about do it in WORD doc's but if I needed it in-game.

OK I am just old, lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DreadtechSavant said:

Why don't they just pay to transfer their own character(s). OH, as already mentioned they don't want to pay, but very happy to make everyone else pay real life money. I am F-sick to death of these players who don't want to pay out real money but more than happy for others to have to pay out real money to re-buy' character slots, or to endlessly have to sub to retain the character(s) they have already brought and paid for. 

As far as I am con-concerned its players like you who are self-centred. I have already paid out again 45-character slots at 600cc each. That was just 1 account, out of the ones I have.

Always expecting everyone else to compromise, to pay money out, yet do nothing themselves, absolutely nothing.

I'm lost. The only character slot option I am seeing on the Cartel Market is "Additional Character Slot" which reads "Server Character Slots allow a new character to be created on each server."

Is there a single server character slot expansion?

Someone has already posted that if you go over the 100 character limit when servers are merged you keep all your characters.

Edited by illgot
  • Like 1