Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Level sync is making me quit

GoldenApolo

No, we could not do that. When a high-level group with a lower-level guild member/friend, that person winded up getting 0 XP points for the kills and it also games less XP. Now, we can group with guild members without them being penalized.

Those of us who remember life before level sync and who value higher-level members being able to group with lower-level members will appreciate level sync. It may not be perfect, it may not be precisely how everyone would necessarily want to see it implemented, but SWTOR is far better for having level sync than not.

This dragged-out and vacuous campaign to rid the game of level sync is short-sighted and just needs to end.

Just. Needs. To end.

Edited by xordevoreaux

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or just make it optional. I don't need all those low level drops and I don't always need to play the way YOU want to play.

If you're standing next to me on a level 80 and I'm level 8 and you're wiping out every single fleshraider around me because you want conquest kills, you're now encroaching on every lowbie in the area and the way they want to play. Same if I'm level 40 on Hoth and you're wiping out everything south of a snowdrift.

Works both ways. Level sync is useful. Not perfect, you'll still murder everything around for miles before a lowbie will, but it's something. Not perfect, but something, and shared tagging only works if the mob doesn't die first before the lowbie can even target it.

Edited by xordevoreaux

No, we could not do that. When a high-level group with a lower-level guild member/friend, that person winded up getting 0 XP points for the kills and it also games less XP. Now, we can group with guild members without them being penalized.

Those of us who remember life before level sync and who value higher-level members being able to group with lower-level members will appreciate level sync. It may not be perfect, it may not be precisely how everyone would necessarily want to see it implemented, but SWTOR is far better for having level sync than not.

This dragged-out and vacuous campaign to rid the game of level sync is short-sighted and just needs to end.

Just. Needs. To end.

There are several memorable quotes in this thread ... BUT IMO these are among some of the best!

My thoughts ...

** Level sync is important. It may not be perfect .. but it should not be done away with. Although I personally do not have friends to share SWTOR with that does not minimize the importance of having friends in game or a really good guild in ANY MMO. Removing Level Sync would punish those who enjoying the game together with their friends and (or) guild members.

** Level Sync in SWTO ... needs work. That does NOT mean it should be done away with.

** IMO the part of level sync that has problems extends into other areas of the game (ie how badly our companions appear to be might a part of another issue.) IMO DWho has spent a great deal of time in this area and may be on to something.

** IMO there is a campaign going on to have level sync removed from the game... I disagree with that attempt to do away with level sync. Level Sync needs work ...

Just. Needs. To end.

Yeah, I don't really get it. Especially the criticism that it makes players overlevel content. Level sync doesn't do that--that's because of the increased xp gain and it was a problem pre-LS. If we didn't have level sync, all the content 3+ levels below would be greyed out.

It CAN make the content more difficult, I suppose, but at max level, the game remains incredibly easy on the starter/act 1 planets and increases in difficulty on up, and it was always like that. Yes, Voss heroics suck! They always did! So do Alderaan despite the comparative ease, and that's because of the way those heroics are designed, not how difficult the trash mobs are.

If you want difficulty, play pvp. Or play MM FPs or Ops. The group play, generally, is difficult, the solo content is not--and that has nothing to do with level sync, it's baked into the game.

From the start, a max level character got zero experience on a starter planet, .

uhh, why does a MAX level character even need XP though ? ;)

(yeah yeah yeah , Legacy xp + silly hamster-wheel Seasons/Conquest )

That's debatable , but personally i just wish BioWare would tweak/fix/refine the calculations better across the board. The whole system still just feels a bit.....off . And frankly i'm just not sure if they have enough coder$ to make a fully comprehensive 'balance pass' on every FP , Uprising, Op, Chapter, plus all 3 difficulty levels, etc. etc.

Just. Needs. To end.

ok melodramatic Rian Johnson :ph_lol:

Edited by Nee-Elder
Devs love numbers (code) . Players like me love CONTENT. Oh well.

I have played MMOs without level sync in the past - it just opens up avenues for grief play. And if people CAN grief others, they WILL (eg. AoE all quest mobs in a lowbie area).

As much as this feels like a solo game, unless you're in an instanced story area, it is still a multiplayer game. And players being vastly overpowered in PvE where players share mob related game objectives spells disaster. Yes, even with the new shared tagging. Because you can't tag a mob that gets one-shotted by the AoE of a max level player when there''s no level sync.

tbh the major problem I've noticed with level sync which is an actual result of level sync and not something related is instances matching the planet they're on instead of a pre-determined level. i.e bosses like Darth Baras on Korriban, Vitiate on DK or Nomen Karr on Hutta are synced to level 10 which makes them ridiculously easy. This has been an ongoing problem which BW hasn't offered a fix for. imo what they should do is have instances match the player level, whatever it might be. If you don't confront Darth Thanaton until level 80, he's level 80 too. Same for all the instanced story content.

That wouldn't help the OP feel any more invincible but I don't want my chars to be invincible, I want them to actually feel challenged by content that was intended to be challenging and not a faceroll.

If you're standing next to me on a level 80 and I'm level 8 and you're wiping out every single fleshraider around me because you want conquest kills, you're now encroaching on every lowbie in the area and the way they want to play. Same if I'm level 40 on Hoth and you're wiping out everything south of a snowdrift.

I've been playing since beta and with rare exception this simply did not happen. It's a urban legend that pre-level-sync griefers went around killing everything. Some people complained that people would grief those going after world bosses by soloing them. I saw that happened a couple of times but only after the group that had the WB staked out would wait around for 5 to 10 minutes not doing anything.

Works both ways. Level sync is useful. Not perfect, you'll still murder everything around for miles before a lowbie will, but it's something. Not perfect, but something, and shared tagging only works if the mob doesn't die first before the lowbie can even target it.

Sounds like they are helping you, so you DON'T out level the planet Level.

your looking at it only a small percentage. Level Sync effects even those still having to finish their missions. Those starting a new character, will be affected by Level sync the entire game. Your reasons for being Pro level Sync makes sense, and I consider them to be a Valid reason, but when it affect's more of those just playing the game to progress in the Story, then Level Sync is not a good thing.

As long as a New playing Character, does not use any XP boost, don't unlock the XP boost in Legacy, Not join a guild that has XP boost, Don't talk with your Companions, Don't do Heroics, WZ, GSF, FP, Planetary story or Side Missions, they will be fine, and not be in level sync, which is something now dragging out the fights which that eventually becomes boring fast

Why should someone want to Pay, to Play a game, they can't do All Content in, without being forced to be weaker

Why should someone want to Pay, to Play a game, they can't do All Content in, without being forced to be weaker

Weaker.

You and i will never, never, never agree about one simple thing: yes, your stats are lower while down-shifted, but ...

you can still kill as much as you killed before in the same amount of time.

I'm 100% casual. If I can do it, you can do it.

YOU ARE NEVER NERFED OUT OF ANY PERFORMATIVE ABILITY TO KILL ANYTHING REQUIRING ANY MORE EFFORT THAN YOU DID PRIOR TO BEING DOWN-LEVELED.

People have obsessed over the stat drop, but I will maintain the only thing that counts is how many mobs you killed before being down-shifted versus after.

You will still kill as many mobs as you killed before on Tython whether you're level 10 or 15.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Just takes longer to do. you got possibly heals you also have a companion, if set on heals, so the fight is dragged out. Your not going to die, because the heals, but you now have to Smash buttons longer.

Just Last Night, New character, I was battling Darth Skotia, and noticed it was taking longer then it has before, Glanced down, and noticed, I'm in Level sync. Being just 2 levels over dragged the fight out, it wasn't I could not beat him, It wasn't hard, it just took longer then it should have.

After I finish the Class story, I'll never have to do it again with a new character, I can just level up to MAX planet level and move to the next one, till I'm 60, and start doing Fallen empire to get the companions I didn't get by not doing Class Story,

Just for now, I'm doing just class story, just till I finish the class story Chapter three (on this Account)

I'm not sure if level sync affects the companions, never looked into it, but it's possible to be the healer, and the Companion can do all the dps (fighting)

Does my lvl 80 click-relic work? :rolleyes:

I take full responsibility for this poster's comment as I failed to repeat, as I should have done, the thread's topic in every single one of my replies, thereby assuring no one takes comments completely out of context of a thread to throw in distracting, non-related issues.

My apologies for that failure. We are talking about level sync.

Edited by xordevoreaux

My apologies for that failure. We are talking about level sync.

Oh, so if my relic works on the fleet, but if I'm doing some heroics on Tatooine it doesn't work at all - this is not a problem of level sync? Because I was told so "I doesnt workt because of level sync". :confused:

It bothers me, bc I upgraded a relic that now doesn't work in <80 content. :/

Oh, so if my relic works on the fleet, but if I'm doing some heroics on Tatooine it doesn't work at all - this is not a problem of level sync? Because I was told so "I doesnt workt because of level sync". :confused:

It bothers me, bc I upgraded a relic that now doesn't work in <80 content. :/

Hmmm .. and all this time I thought it was something I was doing wrong!

(Yes ... even in the new areas)

BTW... It should be noted that I somehow don't see this necessarily the result of level Sync. We also know that "Crystals don't work either. (In fact I found out that even the "crystal colors" didn't work properly unless I placed them in the new "outfitter" on my Smuggler or the Trooper). Really strange stuff going on!! :confused::confused::confused:

Edited by OlBuzzard

Hmmm .. and all this time I thought it was something I was doing wrong!

(Yes ... even in the new areas)

BTW... It should be noted that I somehow don't see this necessarily the result of level Sync. We also know that "Crystals don't work either. (In fact I found out that even the "crystal colors" didn't work properly unless I placed them in the new "outfitter" on my Smuggler or the Trooper). Really strange stuff going on!! :confused::confused::confused:

"Active" relics indeed worked in all content prior to 7.0.

I also was able to use them in open areas and heroics with no group.

When they originally added more stats to the level sync back in February relics could not be activated and still can not in any level synced area.

It did help my alacrity somewhat when needed when mental alacrity was on cooldown.

Bioware did mention before something about it and the reasoning.

Maybe us lvl 80's shouldn't need it?

"Active" relics indeed worked in all content prior to 7.0.

I also was able to use them in open areas and heroics with no group.

When they originally added more stats to the level sync back in February relics could not be activated and still can not in any level synced area.

It did help my alacrity somewhat when needed when mental alacrity was on cooldown.

Bioware did mention before something about it and the reasoning.

Maybe us lvl 80's shouldn't need it?

Prior to 7.0 ... yes.

Now ??? Questionable at best! (And for the most part NO!) Yet in order to keep i-rating where it needs to be we must have them. (Meaning we pretty much have to spend time/resources grinding and maintaining them as much as any other item.

Regardless of reasoning ... IMO it's just not practical to make these items worthless as they are now. The only thing that makes sense is that in order to "get the numbers down" Crystals and Relics are simply useless.

Again ... Level Sync does not need to be done away with ... just revamped. IMO it's a good idea when executed correctly.

Edited by OlBuzzard

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.