Is SWTOR even a MMO?

The_Old_Empire

This game is in direct competition with a 7 year old game with 3 expansions.

Of course I'll compare it to that: that's the competition.

Its fine to compare it on some levels but you can't compare the two on the amount of real estate that they take up. Its unreasonable. That would have added YEARS to development time to come up with a feature set and landmass that rivals Cata WoW....Not to mention they started Development on this as early as 2004 most likely.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its fine to compare it on some levels but you can't compare the two on the amount of real estate that they take up. Its unreasonable. That would have added YEARS to development time to come up with a feature set and landmass that rivals Cata WoW....Not to mention they started Development on this as early as 2004 most likely.

I wasn't really comparing personally, I was just trying to point out how stupid it was that someone compared a single planet in TOR to a single continent in wow, somehow pretending that because its called a "planet" in TOR, it was bigger than a single continent in WoW. Which is completely false.

Wow has zones which are separated each other, but TOR has planets which are then split into sub-zones. Each sub-zone is anywhere from 1/4 to 2/3 the size of a zone in WoW.

Edited by Wazooty

Each zone you teleport to via your spaceship and each of the planets you are restricted for example there may be mountains covering around the planet and thats where it ends. Theres no sense of open world where if your at a planet you cant just ride there without having to have a stupid loading screen.

Each zone you teleport to a hearthstone/porticulum/crystal and each of the zones you are restricted by mountains covering the edges of the zones.

See what I did there? Oh, and it doesn't take you 10-20 minutes to walk across a continent in real life. Zone size is perfectly comparable to any other MMO out there. You just need to get over the fact that the game isn't trying to shrink a whole planet into a super-deformed miniaturization of what it really might be.

If you really think that I dont think you ever played vanilla wow. What you are saying here is a flat out lie. A terrible one.

Sorry, I did play at release and played for 5.5 years after

And comparing a brand-new game with a 7 year old one is foolish. It took them SEVEN YEARS to release as much content as they have. How do you expect any company to have that much content on release and yet still release on time?

Have you ever heard of expansions?

Everything feels so linear and feels as if its not open-world. Each zone you teleport to via your spaceship and each of the planets you are restricted for example there may be mountains covering around the planet and thats where it ends. Theres no sense of open world where if your at a planet you cant just ride there without having to have a stupid loading screen.

Its basically.. * Walk to Spaceship * * Click Planet * * Loading Screen * * Your now at the planet *. So its not really open world when everythings loading. Your gonna hate me even more saying this but World of Warcraft was always open world.

I could go from Darnassus to Stormwind by walking, flying without stupid loading screens. The only time you would get loading times if you went on a boat, or went into an instance. In this game it's a linear path you follow.

Whats up with that?

Try going from one continent to another without loading screens, or from Outlands to Azeroth. Do you really prefer flying 15 minutes from Azhara to Silithus or a couple of loading screens?

If you can choose:

iPad 1 vs. iPad 3 - both the same prize.

Which would you rather buy?

Yeah - that's the answer :>

That's a horrible Analogy.

1) both come from the same company

2) Their feature sets build off each other

With SW and WoW

1) Different Company

2) Development for SW started pretty much right around WoW's release most likely.

People are going to look at SW as something new. yes its missing some of the things that WoW is here's a list of things that WoW has that SW doesn't that I'm happy for

1) LFD

2) LFR

3) lvl cap of 85

4) Cross Server BGs

5) Arena (THANK GOD NO ARENA)

6) Guild lvling that's just annoying...especially when starting a new guild

7) Flying Mounts

The list could go on but I think you get my point. this Game is in a good place...especially for those of us tired of WoW.

Its also not a good idea to compare launch content (By that I mean the amount of space in game, quests, raids, etc) because that's unreasonable and foolish. No game will have the amount of content at launch that WoW does after 7 years and 3 xpacs.

Sorry, I did play at release and played for 5.5 years after

And comparing a brand-new game with a 7 year old one is foolish. It took them SEVEN YEARS to release as much content as they have. How do you expect any company to have that much content on release and yet still release on time?

Have you ever heard of expansions?

It's nto foolish at at.

We cannot go back in time 7 years, so there is no reason to compare to something from 7 years ago.

The SWTOR of today has to contend with the WoW of today. It's really that simple.

I'm sorry...what does norrath have to do with this discussion?

Well, let's see ... we're talking about TOR and its real estate size. You compared it to the real estate in Azeroth.

I was simply pointing out that a zone developed in a game from 1998 dwarfs the real estate you find in Azeroth.

It's not an mmorpg.

It's a morpg

Seems like everyone in these forums has no knowledge at all.

Does anyone know the word massive and it's meaning when it comes to mmorpgs.Of course u dont.

Massive means big open world that is so big u can get lost in it and u have tons of things to do in this world.

Well starwars it's not a world it's a bunch of instances that kills the world massive.

So no it's not an mmorpg it's a singleplayer game wich plays only online just like diablo 3 in order to reduce piracy.Got it?

The worst part is that they demand u to pay for this multiplayer game in which im totaly negative.

Now say thank to god that u learned something in your misserable knowledge and celebrate with a cookie.

Edited by _Zefire_

It's nto foolish at at.

We cannot go back in time 7 years, so there is no reason to compare to something from 7 years ago.

The SWTOR of today has to contend with the WoW of today. It's really that simple.

And most sane people will agree with that sentiment, but to expect a launch of an MMO to have every bell, whistle, feature, AND the amount of real estate that a 7 year old one does is silly. Especially when this one started development when the other was just taking off. Yes they could implement a few things. (A limited Dungeon Finder that is restricted to server would be nice and so would addon support) but I think their starting feature set is pretty good. I'm impressed. I'm Immersed. I have complaints but I think they'll be addressed in time.

Well, let's see ... we're talking about TOR and its real estate size. You compared it to the real estate in Azeroth.

I was simply pointing out that a zone developed in a game from 1998 dwarfs the real estate you find in Azeroth.

I never said WoW dwarfed SWTOR in terms of overall size, I was simply saying their "zones" are partitioned differently. YOU somehow made up that I was saying wow was much bigger overall. I never said that, I said that a continent on wow is not at all comparable to a planet in SWTOR because they cover different amounts of content.

But please, put words in my mouth to make me look worse. Or go back and read my posts to get the truth. Either way you've already made yourself look bad.

I WILL say that every zone in WoW has a lot more character and unique feel than the planets of SWTOR.

Edited by Wazooty

And most sane people will agree with that sentiment, but to expect a launch of an MMO to have every bell, whistle, feature, AND the amount of real estate that a 7 year old one does is silly. Especially when this one started development when the other was just taking off. Yes they could implement a few things. (A limited Dungeon Finder that is restricted to server would be nice and so would addon support) but I think their starting feature set is pretty good. I'm impressed. I'm Immersed. I have complaints but I think they'll be addressed in time.

I want this game to do well as well. I will state that I feel it came to the fight unprepared though.