Spirit of Vengence

The flashpoint is still madness! I say it should nerfed more and more until it's made as easy peasy beatable! No elites, no strongs, just weak easy-to-kill enemies! I don't care if people don't see this as an challenge, because I have HAD IT!!! I am NOT going to do a flashpoint that's still this absurd and maddening! If not complied, then that's it for me! Flashpoints this hard should be made into grouped ones, because this ain't solo content like it says it is! To be more clear, where is the combat droid as was promised? We deserve one for the newer flashpoint content, not just for the old ones that came in the past! Deliver or players like me are going to start ditching this game forever! :mad:
  • Like 1

The flashpoint is still madness! I say it should nerfed more and more until it's made as easy peasy beatable! No elites, no strongs, just weak easy-to-kill enemies! I don't care if people don't see this as an challenge, because I have HAD IT!!! I am NOT going to do a flashpoint that's still this absurd and maddening! If not complied, then that's it for me! Flashpoints this hard should be made into grouped ones, because this ain't solo content like it says it is! To be more clear, where is the combat droid as was promised? We deserve one for the newer flashpoint content, not just for the old ones that came in the past! Deliver or players like me are going to start ditching this game forever! :mad:

I understand your frustration with this FP - it's long-winded and drawn out, with several choke points that need careful handling. It's also not a FP where you can just run through and pull the entire room, like a lot of players do.

I freely admit that I'm not a brilliant player, so here are some pointers that I have found help me with this instance:

1. Take your time. Move through it at a steady but considered pace - there's no prize for a speed run.

2. Body pull mobs to you and away from others - the groups can be 'social' and next thing you know, you've got the lot on you.

3. Be careful with AOEs (see number 2).

4. Take out the healers in each group first - Bloodsworn, Medics and Lorekeepers.

5. On the second ship, where the mob is grouped around the doorway of the tether release room, wait for the roamers (enforcers) to move through the room and go back up the ramp. If you don't, they will join in and you will die.

6. Sniper room (3rd ship) - hug the left hand wall so that when you fall into the pit, you land on the landing where the elevator controls are. There's a chance that you won't aggro the mob in the water, and even if you do, you're in a better position to deal to it there.

7. All the usual things - don't stand in stupid, move out of range of telegraphed abilities, stun what you can, etc.

8. Make sure your iR is good - I wouldn't attempt this until I had an iRating of at least 280 (but I'm a wimp).

There's also the issue since 7.0 dropped that companions are now weaker and not doing their jobs properly, which may also have a bearing on the problem you are having. Something to bear in mind.

While I agree with the point that story mode should be easy, I find that FP to be pretty easy now. I mean, it's so easy, that I'd love to see a video of what is giving you problems.

Have you done it since 7.0 landed? I haven’t, so I can’t compare. But is it possible that the ability pruning, stat scaling and companion nerfs have made it too hard again for some people?

Edited by Totemdancer

Have you done it since 7.0 landed? I haven’t, so I can’t compare. But is it possible that the ability pruning, stat scaling and companion nerfs have made it too hard again for some people?

I just did the story mode just yesterday on a level 78-79ish Jedi knight (playing with my 2nd combat style Shadow) and had no problem whatsoever

I was in my „old“ golden fully (blue) augmented 306 gear. I killed everything, didn’t stealth through it

I am embarrassed to say it but SoV is one of my favorite (story) FPs (guess I just like the look of the ships, the story behind it…)

If all your gear is minimum 278 you won't be at best half-dead after every fight.

I sometimes forget, but I've learned that if the mob is all or most silvers area effect attacks don't help. Focus fire on one till dead then go on to the next. It helps if you can stun one then attack the others first. If there are healers they like to stay in the back, so you need to kill at least one silver before there's an opening to target one of them.

Buy the stim to increase presence. Even after 7.0 it helps. Because of the Companion nerf in 7.0 only the Companion on Heal will do anything. Tank used to work, but now it doesn't. It's 7.0's fault, not Spirit of Vengeance. Even if you have him on Tank or Damage, always have him on Heal during Boss fights.

Do not use area effect attacks when yellow lettered NPCs are next to enemies. They get damaged and turn red to attack you in revenge. You can be overwhelmed.

First Boss fight. He starts the fight with his You Die power. The moment combat starts, the first thing you should do is move. Get out of the red circle of death. Always move out of it when it appears again, even if you have to interrupt and end your own attack. Better to have it take that much longer to kill the Boss than die.

Second Boss fight. Kill the healers first. Then the silver helpers. Then the Boss. Stunning a silver before killing the healers helps. The Boss will be attacking you while you kill the healers and helpers, but ignore him. He does none to insignificant damage (Story Mode at least) as long as you have at least 278 gear. Your Companion on heal will heal any damage you take.

If all your gear is minimum 278 you won't be at best half-dead after every fight.

I sometimes forget, but I've learned that if the mob is all or most silvers area effect attacks don't help. Focus fire on one till dead then go on to the next. It helps if you can stun one then attack the others first. If there are healers they like to stay in the back, so you need to kill at least one silver before there's an opening to target one of them.

Buy the stim to increase presence. Even after 7.0 it helps. Because of the Companion nerf in 7.0 only the Companion on Heal will do anything. Tank used to work, but now it doesn't. It's 7.0's fault, not Spirit of Vengeance. Even if you have him on Tank or Damage, always have him on Heal during Boss fights.

Do not use area effect attacks when yellow lettered NPCs are next to enemies. They get damaged and turn red to attack you in revenge. You can be overwhelmed.

First Boss fight. He starts the fight with his You Die power. The moment combat starts, the first thing you should do is move. Get out of the red circle of death. Always move out of it when it appears again, even if you have to interrupt and end your own attack. Better to have it take that much longer to kill the Boss than die.

Second Boss fight. Kill the healers first. Then the silver helpers. Then the Boss. Stunning a silver before killing the healers helps. The Boss will be attacking you while you kill the healers and helpers, but ignore him. He does none to insignificant damage (Story Mode at least) as long as you have at least 278 gear. Your Companion on heal will heal any damage you take.

Okay, well maybe it's not the flashpoint itself I may admit, since I was able to get past the first boss with no trouble. Maybe I need better gear or something, I don't know! Or maybe the devs need to stop this bs and fix the companion nerf and make all this balanced! Forgive me for saying this, but I'm royalty pissed as I still have trouble with this damn flashpoint!

Okay, well maybe it's not the flashpoint itself I may admit, since I was able to get past the first boss with no trouble. Maybe I need better gear or something, I don't know! Or maybe the devs need to stop this bs and fix the companion nerf and make all this balanced! Forgive me for saying this, but I'm royalty pissed as I still have trouble with this damn flashpoint!

It's still hard in Story Mode. Take your time in the room after the kitchen. Kill the front mob, heal, kill the back mob to exit. DO not fight or draw in the mobs on either side. If they join the fight you're dead. The back mob is tough in any case. Sometimes I die to them, other times I defeat them on first try. However, it's the round the corner hallway right after that's worse. It's a bunch of silvers, healers in the back, and yellow lettered NPCs that will join the fight if you're not careful. Only once was I able to defeat them on first try. Here is where area of effect attacks don't work. Focus fire.

Then there's the Sniper room with the roamers. Expect to die at least once. It just happens. If you go into the room you're dead. Doesn't matter if you reach a kolto tank. Expect to die but go into the room to kill the healers. They won't respawn, so you can kill the rest upon res.

In the monster pit maybe it was a fluke, but last time I played I managed to reach the kolto tank and then into the elevator room. By doing so it counted as an escape. The Companion appeared, and the tentacles no longer registered as an enemy to fight.

The many mobs room right after that you need to be careful. Take one group at a time. Stun a silver, kill the healers, kill the non-stunned, then finish off the stun. Repeat for each group. Do not fight more than one group at a time. You will die.

It's still hard in Story Mode. Take your time in the room after the kitchen. Kill the front mob, heal, kill the back mob to exit. DO not fight or draw in the mobs on either side. If they join the fight you're dead. The back mob is tough in any case. Sometimes I die to them, other times I defeat them on first try. However, it's the round the corner hallway right after that's worse. It's a bunch of silvers, healers in the back, and yellow lettered NPCs that will join the fight if you're not careful. Only once was I able to defeat them on first try. Here is where area of effect attacks don't work. Focus fire.

Then there's the Sniper room with the roamers. Expect to die at least once. It just happens. If you go into the room you're dead. Doesn't matter if you reach a kolto tank. Expect to die but go into the room to kill the healers. They won't respawn, so you can kill the rest upon res.

In the monster pit maybe it was a fluke, but last time I played I managed to reach the kolto tank and then into the elevator room. By doing so it counted as an escape. The Companion appeared, and the tentacles no longer registered as an enemy to fight.

The many mobs room right after that you need to be careful. Take one group at a time. Stun a silver, kill the healers, kill the non-stunned, then finish off the stun. Repeat for each group. Do not fight more than one group at a time. You will die.

That's exactly the point I'm making! We've never had this trouble with the older flashpoints because of the combat droid. But this? This is hell! Why did they stop putting in the combat droid in these current ones and made it even harder? First off, we want the combat droid back (myself especially). And second, a flashpoint this hard must be made for groups of people, not solo content! It's more than madness, it's unacceptable! Period!

I just did the story mode just yesterday on a level 78-79ish Jedi knight (playing with my 2nd combat style Shadow) and had no problem whatsoever

I was in my „old“ golden fully (blue) augmented 306 gear. I killed everything, didn’t stealth through it

I am embarrassed to say it but SoV is one of my favorite (story) FPs (guess I just like the look of the ships, the story behind it…)

That’s great that you got through it. But you didn’t compare you’re experience from before 7.0 to this version. Is it indeed harder, easier or the same. If it’s you’re favourite, then you’re probably pretty good at clearing it and know the best tactics. So I’m sure having you compare the difference would be helpful for this discussion. It would also be great if you could redo it once you hit lvl 80 with the new gear and report back.

Edited by Totemdancer

That’s great that you got through it. But you didn’t compare you’re experience from before 7.0 to this version. Is it indeed harder, easier or the same. If it’s you’re favourite, then you’re probably pretty good at clearing it and know the best tactics. So I’m sure having you compare the difference would be helpful for this discussion. It would also be great if you could redo it once you hit lvl 80 with the new gear and report back.

I can say the only difference before 7.0 after they fixed it and after 7.0 is the 7.0 Companion nerf. Tanking the Companion won't work. You can't attack the enemy attacking him because you're too busy attacking the enemy attacking you since he won't aggro. If you ignore the enemy attacking you to attack the enemy attacking your Companion, you die. If you attack the enemy attacking you your Companion dies then you die. Put him on Heal. You won't have trouble except for the usual infamous areas that were problems before 7.0.

„I had no problem whatsoever“ = same as 6.0

And though I like it a lot I only played it 3 times now, so no, I would say I am average at tactics/clearing it

But good idea to try it again as a level 80

I don’t understand OP, none of the new story fps are difficult. I’ll grant that my preferred companion mode of tank is far less effective after 7.0 switching them to heals takes care of that. They aren’t hard just time consuming. A god mode droid is not needed.

That's always a good practice. So I played it this morning on a level 75 character and it was pretty much the same as the last time I played it on a level 75 character. It's way easier than when the FP was first rolled out.

There are still some basic things to be careful of. This morning in the Dar'Manda dining room, I accidentally aggroed a second mob and now that we can't exit combat, I died shortly after my healer died. So take care to never accidentally bring two mobs into a fight. Then, it's always a good idea to kill the healers first and then the weakest NPCs, so you take less fire sooner. Keep in mind there are a few kolto stations available in certain areas. Use these as needed even if it isn't a "boss" fight yet. Usually you won't need them, but, hey, they are there if you do. In the Ash'ad areas, the Lorekeepers are the healers. When you fall down the trap, you usually won't have your comp yet while fighting the tentacles. Sometimes running to the elevator first will make your comp appear, if not, there is a kolto station right there. Whenever you feel like your comp isn't doing enough, make sure they aren't out of range (or LOS).

I don’t understand OP, none of the new story fps are difficult. I’ll grant that my preferred companion mode of tank is far less effective after 7.0 switching them to heals takes care of that. They aren’t hard just time consuming. A god mode droid is not needed.

Spirit of Vengeance is hard. Always was. Upon first launch it was a nightmare in Story Mode. It could not be finished with the gear the game gave you if you only played Story Mode, unlike all previous content. You kept dying or was near death after every fight, and you die, every time, all the time, on the Second Wave of add-ons on the Final Boss. It did not matter what strategies people suggested. You die. You die. You die.

They eventually fixed it. They actually fixed the final fight twice. It was fine on the first fix, but the second fix I'll admit is too easy, for that fight specifically. The main play is still hard. Making a mistake in tactics is unforgiving. Get too much aggro or accidentally attack someone you stunned out of the fight, and you're overwhelmed into death. Hit a yellow neutral he'll join the fight and you're overwhelmed into death. If your gear is less than 278 you're near death after every fight if you didn't die.

There are other hard Stories. Setting up the defenses on Iokath. Travel the city streets on Chiss. Spirit of Vengeance is harder than them even after the fix. It's not the nightmare it was, but it can be frustrating for those not used to the difficulty level.

Edited by Hadsil

I can say the only difference before 7.0 after they fixed it and after 7.0 is the 7.0 Companion nerf. Tanking the Companion won't work. You can't attack the enemy attacking him because you're too busy attacking the enemy attacking you since he won't aggro. If you ignore the enemy attacking you to attack the enemy attacking your Companion, you die. If you attack the enemy attacking you your Companion dies then you die. Put him on Heal. You won't have trouble except for the usual infamous areas that were problems before 7.0.

And what if your class is a healer or you prefer to have your companions on Tank? From what you are saying anyone who has played the game that way for the last 10 years is royally screwed

I've done spirit of vengenance now with 3 characters, my BH (pre-7.0) tank, and my smuggler (turned commando), and my Jedi Sentinel (turned Marauder) - both post 7.0.

I did die a couple of times on the way thru post 7.0 but managed to get thru it using heroic ability & stims. The only thing mentioned by previous posters was their use of kolto stations. These were not functional. Maybe they have made them only function in group play, I went thru it solo (with just the mando companion NPC that is part of the quest.

One thing I don't like about all the newer flashpoints in general as opposed to the SOR flashpoints : in the SOR you get the droid, but this is in ADDITION to the companion of your choice. I'd much rather be able to take my companion of choice along with whatever flavor-of-the-month "flashpoint" companion. :(

I do like the quest much better than Echos of Oblivion. Only 1 "walking thru fire" part. SOV at least when stuff dropped they gave credits. Echos was NOTHING, plus although I liked the parts that took the characters thru Tython, the Dreamscape trying not to fall from walking along the "mindscape" took away from it. I can see the CHARACTERS being able to do it, but the break in immersion occured by me the player trying to balance my mouse so that my character wouldn't fall down (I did fall twice on my Jedi. Wheeeeeee!)

The only thing mentioned by previous posters was their use of kolto stations. These were not functional. Maybe they have made them only function in group play, I went thru it solo (with just the mando companion NPC that is part of the quest.

I just want to make sure you understand that the kolto stations in the newer FPs require you to run through them (as opposed to clicking on them like old FPs). The run-through style is much better than the old click to use style as the hit box for gigantic bosses often prevented players from being able to click the kolto stations when they were dying.

If you try to do a FP in vet mode without a group, you will get a message that a group is required to use them, but in story mode, they should be working just fine.

• 5 weeks later...
And what if your class is a healer or you prefer to have your companions on Tank? From what you are saying anyone who has played the game that way for the last 10 years is royally screwed

When they fix Companions then you can play Spirit of Vengeance with your Companion in any mode you like. The problem is with the nerf of Companions, not Spirit of Vengeance.

• 5 months later...
It's old news now, but I know for certain your gear matters even after their fixes. I had only played this before the 7.0 update. I have played this once in game Story after 7.0. Because of the new gearing system, they changed how upgrading gear worked with the Spoils of War guy. Before, each upgrade is usually 2 ratings higher than your current gear. Sometimes 1, sometimes 3. After 7.0, if you're level 80 regardless of your gear you will get the former highest rating 306 gear. For a character I upgraded everything to 306 then played Spirit of Vengeance. It was almost too easy. The infamous areas still required strategy, but I was barely scratched. I was never below quarter health. Many battles I took no damage. Your gear matters a lot for this flashpoint in Story Mode.