What's Up with Doc?

Angarl

So I've just reached the final part of the Jedi Knight story, even though I've been playing since launch I've never done the Jedi Knight past Taris before.

I'm playing it as a character that is not strictly adherent to the Jedi code, but I despise Doc as a character. He's incredibly egomaniacal and misogynistic, I've turned him down so many times, and insulted him repeatedly. The only times I've chosen a flirt was when it was an insult, and the only alternative was to say "It's against the Jedi code".

But now at the end of the game, with absolutely no relationship to speak of, including the previous conversation to this me shutting him down, he's proposing!?

Where the heck did that come from!

And there is a dialogue option to [End Relationship]? What relationship? He's a misogynistic dick bag that I've turned down over and over, how does the game think there is a relationship?

Please add more options to the dialogue wheel, to shut him down Bioware, even if you steal a voice line from elsewhere and reuse it, I was really annoyed that he wouldn't stop flirting the entire time, even though I'd told him to stop, told him to stop calling me gorgeous or beautiful and said in the previous conversation to this and I quote "She may not think you're the right man for her".

I have considered on multiple occasions just not talking to Doc anymore, because he won't stop being creepy and sleezy, but in order to get Legacy unlock I have to complete his personal conversation storyline. If there is a chance to kill him later, I'm taking it even though I'm a light side Jedi.

"I prefer to think you've suffered some head trauma and are rambling incoherently." Very apt line that sums up my feelings right now. But why is the [End Relationship] dialogue, "I'm a Jedi, Doc. I can't marry you--and I never should have let things go this far." I didn't let anything, this is the very definition of unwanted attention, and harassment.

No means no Doc, go away, get off my ship.

Edited by Angarl

I guess it depends on your view. In the beginning, it seems he was a bit much but he grew on me, and I really didn't mind being called beautiful as I took it as a compliment, (the way I do in real life) and then after onslaught he has grown as a character. Yes, he has a high opinion of himself, but maybe that is good because he is a doctor, and he does know what he is doing. I know people who have a high opinion of themselves so again that part doesn't bother me, but then again, I work in the legal field, and I am constantly in contact with attorneys who have that type of opinion and learn that is just part of who they are, and that is how I view Doc. I eventually married Doc in one of my knights. Edited by casirabit

Think about it ... the game was launched 10 years ago and it's quite possible Doc's dialog was written 12 or more years ago. I'm an octogenarian and can remember when Doc's smarmy language was pretty tame. Doc came along well before Me Too, in a time when his language was still accepted. His attitude rubs me the wrong way, too, but I've heard it all before.

I wouldn't have so much of a problem with his ego, if he would have stopped with the sexual harassment. If it was clearer and easier to turn him down, as I thought I had done so. Maybe as a male Jedi knight, he's more tolerable. But I found it repulsive when he came back from helping Nemro, and asked for a kiss. None of my options were to call him a creep and tell him to stop. Or even just an option please stop I'm not interested.

I don't like that the only way to turn him down is to be a obedient Jedi, following the code. Because I'm happy to get into a relationship and have supported other Jedi with their relationships on multiple occasions, I just don't want to be with Doc.

I'd be happy to romance Rusk, Kira or Scourge, heck I'd even choose T7 as a romance option first. Unfortunately my inability to tell him "NO" where he actually listens, has coloured my opinion of his character. Because I have said no, so many times. Any guy or girl who can't take no as an answer in real life and continued to harass me like this, I'd have cut out of my life. But that's not an option here either, I can't tell him to stop, or to leave my ship.

Think about it ... the game was launched 10 years ago and it's quite possible Doc's dialog was written 12 or more years ago. I'm an octogenarian and can remember when Doc's smarmy language was pretty tame. Doc came along well before Me Too, in a time when his language was still accepted. His attitude rubs me the wrong way, too, but I've heard it all before.

Again if I could tell him to stop, the language early on I could excuse, it wouldn't bother me so much if he wasn't so pushy. Or if there were a proper way to shut him down.

It's not so much about when it was written or the language he uses, it's about a clear and defined ability to turn a character down. Because at first I thought, oh ok we have a flirty wanna be Han Solo doctor, could be interesting. My opinion on that changed as I said no but instead of stopping or cutting back, he got more intense and creepy.

Edited by Angarl

The game is bit weird like that. Sometimes, even if you just take one flirt option, it seems like the game thinks you are in a relationship. I think this might depend on when you flirt during that companion's story. If it's very early on, it might not matter, but if it's later on during that comps story, it's seems to "lock" in the romance even if you did not intend for that to happen.

I remember not romancing Nadia, but somehow an option that was not marked flirt seemed to act like it was, and the game went, "yup, you're in a realtionship with Nadia". I was very surprised when that happened, since it felt like the game "forced" the relationship on me.

Edited by Otowi

Again if I could tell him to stop, the language early on I could excuse, it wouldn't bother me so much if he wasn't so pushy. Or if there were a proper way to shut him down..

I agree with you; as I said, I don't care for his smarminess either. HOWEVER, this game is on its last legs. Disney has contracted another company to write an open-world Star Wars game, turning their back on EA. 7.0 is clear evidence that BW is preparing to shutter the game -- at best they'll simply milk players until the SW license runs out. In short, BW is not going to rewrite Doc's dialog or bear the expense of hiring a voice actor. Not going to happen.

Again if I could tell him to stop, the language early on I could excuse, it wouldn't bother me so much if he wasn't so pushy. Or if there were a proper way to shut him down.

It's not so much about when it was written or the language he uses, it's about a clear and defined ability to turn a character down. Because at first I thought, oh ok we have a flirty wanna be Han Solo doctor, could be interesting. My opinion on that changed as I said no but instead of stopping or cutting back, he got more intense and creepy.

Maybe time and changes outside the game does help, Doc does change quit a bit when

you meet him again on Ossus years after the class story and Kotxx expansion. I don't have a JK who romances him, so I don't know if he's still being overly flirty with a romanced JK, but the way he talks does sound more... mature.

So I've just reached the final part of the Jedi Knight story, even though I've been playing since launch I've never done the Jedi Knight past Taris before.

I'm playing it as a character that is not strictly adherent to the Jedi code, but I despise Doc as a character. He's incredibly egomaniacal and misogynistic, I've turned him down so many times, and insulted him repeatedly. The only times I've chosen a flirt was when it was an insult, and the only alternative was to say "It's against the Jedi code".

I see the problem, I think... you FLIRTED with him once… Even once and even in an insulting way just turned him on.... lol I never flirt with him and shut him down every time hard, and at the end of class story he just says something like

"I will be your family doc forever. " (I also find him annoying, so speed past anything he says)

Edited by Sethrah

I see the problem, I think... you FLIRTED with him

This is correct. Taking a flirt option flags you as in a romance with him as far as the game is concerned. That flag is all-or-nothing. Once it's on, it won't be turned off unless there is another specific opportunity to do it (e.g., character begins a romance with another for certain stories, character rejects romance when companion returns in KotFE/ET, etc.).

Doc could really use a reboot. I have tried to head-canon him into something better, but it's hard. Sometimes I go with the romance and then romance someone else later and I think of it as a mistake my character made in her youth. Both he and Corso are pretty obnoxious in the way they treat female characters. Doc is just so full of himself, though... I really don't like having that sleaze in my med-bay. And it's clear the writers knew he was a problem because Kira thinks he's a dirtbag.

On the other hand, it's been pointed out to me, that some male players are creeped out by being forced to romance their padawans as Jedi, which is fair. Ashara is annoying and immature. I have not played a male Sith Assassin so I'm not sure how she is to romance.

I had the same thing happen with Corso. I never used any Flirt option, but I was playing Light Side and used kind dialogue choices. Next thing I know he's proposing marriage. This is a problem in general with modern games. They want the player to feel special, so they have everyone falling over themselves for the player character.

I see the problem, I think... you FLIRTED with him once… Even once and even in an insulting way just turned him on.... lol I never flirt with him and shut him down every time hard, and at the end of class story he just says something like

Agreed. If you want no Doc, you need to shut him down every time to you speak to him (OR don't do any of his conversations which you probably don't want to do if you're doing the story for the first time). Don't agree with him and don't be nice to him. Ever. He loses interest.

He annoyed me for the longest time until I did his romance and he does change. It was however

a bit ridiculous when he came back in Ossus acting like a complete self-centred arsehole again. Why on earth did they do that after he's changed so much in the story if your character romances then marries him?

Yeah, most of the vanilla romance for female characters are awful... and Doc is the worst :/

It is unfortunate but true, so far my favourite romance options have been Vette and Raina Temple, unfortunately these both require male characters. I haven't found a good female character romance before KOTFE, I have still not completed half of the Republic storylines though. So still holding out hope for maybe the Trooper or Consular.

Edited by Angarl

Ok now I'm completely lost, I chose the dialogue option to [End Relationship] with Doc, even though there wasn't a relationship in the first place. And I log in today and have mail from him talking about a love nest!?

Subject: Extra crew quarters

I know a guy on Nar Shaddaa who refits used space station escape pods into tugboats used for extra crew quarters on regular starships. They're detachable compartments, like hoverbike sidecars. I was thinking we should buy a couple and stick them to our hull. Don't you think Kira and the others would be a lot more comfortable not intruding on our love nest? Also, Rusk has this bad habit of sleepwalking. I caught him cleaning his blasters in the middle of the night with his eyes closed. That can't be healthy.

Think about it.

Love,

Me

How does this creep think there is anything between us, never kissed him, chose a single flirt option the entire time and only because it sounded cruel. Turn down his random arse marriage proposal, tell him I shouldn't have led him on (even though I didn't) and broke up a non existent relationship. Definitely the worst companion by far, even though my character is good, upon receiving this mail, I'm certain she would remove a particular part of his anatomy using her lightsaber. Or just flush him out a airlock.

Edited by Angarl

Ok now I'm completely lost, I chose the dialogue option to [End Relationship] with Doc, even though there wasn't a relationship in the first place. And I log in today and have mail from him talking about a love nest!?

How does this creep think there is anything between us, never kissed him, chose a single flirt option the entire time and only because it sounded cruel. Turn down his random arse marriage proposal, tell him I shouldn't have led him on (even though I didn't) and broke up a non existent relationship. Definitely the worst companion by far, even though my character is good, upon receiving this mail, I'm certain she would remove a particular part of his anatomy using her lightsaber. Or just flush him out a airlock.

Those letters can be bugged. I received one from Koth terminating our relationship when that was not the case so do not take much stock in the letters as they can be bugged.

Maybe as a male Jedi knight, he's more tolerable.

Just my personal opinion here - but no, he's not. The very first thing he did was hit on Kira, my male Knight shut him down, and he immediately did it again. He was also frequently trying to persuade my Knight to relax, party, and get together with a girl or three, and that would make him a new man, no matter how many times I told him I wasn't interested (my Knight's also gay, which is not a game mechanic at that point unfortunately, but it did make this even more uncomfortable).

As a character, I can appreciate that Doc has nuance you don't immediately witness. But as a person, I wanted to boot him out the airlock before he even became my companion.

Unfortunately, he's one of the few companions you can't kill. He does disappear from the story after lv 50 like the rest of them and then appear briefly during Jedi Under Siege after which he disappears again. If nothing else you can always overwrite his fake "romance" by "cheating" on him with a later companion in the expansions.

There are Companions I don't like - Gus, Kaliyo, Skadge, Scorpio. The dialogue options are there to respond with disgust or approval to allow for people who do like them. If you choose to be offended, that's on you.