Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Please stop insulting the devs

Baletraeger

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 200,000 neutron stars born in the known universe every minute assuming a conservative estimate of 100 billion galaxies in the known universe.

Here's the actual answer from a Ph.D. Astrophysicist

Stephen Perrenod, Ph.D. astronomy/astrophysics, author Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Dark Gravity

In our Milky Way about one or a few per year. There are some 100 billion or more galaxies in the universe. That translates to around 200,000 per minute.

But our galaxy is quiescent with regards to star formation; active star forming galaxies can produce 100 or more stars per year. So figure millions.

But over time stellar populations migrate toward more and more low mass stars that have long lifetimes and are slow to recycle material used for formation of the next generation of stars.

I C wut U did thar, and I meant for a...single...neuron...star...to...form. which means the lifetime of a star's entire cycle before it collapses in on itself.

don't get me wrong man, I am disabled too from my military service, but I don't expect anyone to cater to me.

No catering to me is me saying: Vet Mode is unfair, MM is unfair, PvP is unfair, Ops are unfair... I'm not saying anything like that. Gating gear that can help me IS unfair! I'm not a whiny idiot that moans how the world owes me anything. I pay to play this game I run my Weeklys, my Solo FP's, my Story, to level and I craft dyes to make credits, I work just as hard as everyone else. This isn't a Dread Master's mask. This is something that can help me play better and more stuff. So yeah I deserve it.

Edited by JakRoanin

devs are more data and information about player habits than any player will ever have access to, their main objective is to make money, which they do from having as many subscribers and cartel coin buyers as possible. looking at the wider MMO market swtor seems to follow in the same monetization footsteps as them, and they seem to be doing well in a dying genre

very little feedback about the upcoming patch seems to focus on the core aspects of swtor and despite the devs sharing their vision and objectives with the changes, most of the player complaints seem to be centered on irrelevant stuff

can see why more and more companies are trusting data over a small vocal minority, look how that went for failed/cancelled MMOs like City of Heroes, Marvel Heroes, Firefall, Wildstar, EverQuest, Titan and Secret World, all targeted towards a smaller niche market, elite raiders, story players, primarily single players etc. never works, gotta have a large audience base

devs are more data and information about player habits than any player will ever have access to, their main objective is to make money, which they do from having as many subscribers and cartel coin buyers as possible. looking at the wider MMO market swtor seems to follow in the same monetization footsteps as them, and they seem to be doing well in a dying genre

very little feedback about the upcoming patch seems to focus on the core aspects of swtor and despite the devs sharing their vision and objectives with the changes, most of the player complaints seem to be centered on irrelevant stuff

can see why more and more companies are trusting data over a small vocal minority, look how that went for failed/cancelled MMOs like City of Heroes, Marvel Heroes, Firefall, Wildstar, EverQuest, Titan and Secret World, all targeted towards a smaller niche market, elite raiders, story players, primarily single players etc. never works, gotta have a large audience base

Data is "BS" because its incredibly subjective.

As I said before - if the dev's bothered to play the game as much as an atypical semi-casual player would - they would have a very different perspective - if not greatly enhanced.

I just got back to the game. I'd completely forgotten there's a new expansion coming out, but then I read up on some news, and man... I stopped looking forward to SWTOR expansions after the first chapter of KOTFEET, but I never minded updates. This one? I don't even remember the name of the next expansion, and I'm actually hoping it'll get delayed so they can go back on the gearing changes.

Oh well. I'll play around a bit, do some original class stories, and then come back again in another year or two.

I just got back to the game. I'd completely forgotten there's a new expansion coming out, but then I read up on some news, and man... I stopped looking forward to SWTOR expansions after the first chapter of KOTFEET, but I never minded updates. This one? I don't even remember the name of the next expansion, and I'm actually hoping it'll get delayed so they can go back on the gearing changes.

Oh well. I'll play around a bit, do some original class stories, and then come back again in another year or two.

I'd like to see the update delayed too, frankly, mainly because things seem so far from finished on the PTS and we're not getting any engagement from the devs there to help focus the testing, but even if it got delayed the gearing system wouldn't change. They're set on this system and no amount of player feedback is going to change it. They have their metrics, so they'll know whether it was a good idea or not after the expansion has been out for a while.

I'd like to see the update delayed too, frankly, mainly because things seem so far from finished on the PTS and we're not getting any engagement from the devs there to help focus the testing, but even if it got delayed the gearing system wouldn't change. They're set on this system and no amount of player feedback is going to change it. They have their metrics, so they'll know whether it was a good idea or not after the expansion has been out for a while.

Or we can vote with our wallets before then. You can cancel a reoccurring sub and leave detailed feed back why you unsubbed. That data will also be collected and appear on some report.

Granted, it may be too late to affect change before the launch. But it may speed up changes early next year to reverse some of the damage.

Alternatively, there is an unofficial reddit survey going for another day and a half linked in my signature. You could express your satisfaction or dissatisfaction there.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

They aren't stupid, They know what they are doing and they know the risks associated with them.

Sure they do, and that's why we've an amazing amount of servers, with a huge community, and so much new content we can't even finish it. And we are all so happy unicorns are popping out of our *****

Over the last few years, each step they have created has reduced the amount of subscribers, has reduced the amount of players, they alienate most groups of people, except their elite friends on a certain discord group, they don't listen to the community, and when someone speaks out they bully them, and silence them. The game is a shadow of itself, it pales in comparison of what it could be.

Or we can vote with our wallets before then. You can cancel a reoccurring sub and leave detailed feed back why you unsubbed. That data will also be collected and appear on some report.

Granted, it may be too late to affect change before the launch. But it may speed up changes early next year to reverse some of the damage.

Alternatively, there is an unofficial reddit survey going for another day and a half linked in my signature. You could express your satisfaction or dissatisfaction there.

https://imgur.com/a/E2AtWij

Once again, it has been proven that forums a verry loud minority and not a good source of feedback. Goodjob trix 😂👍

Edited by lord-angelus

Once again, it has been proven that forums a verry loud minority and not a good source of feedback. Goodjob trix 😂👍

If you want to use such a small sample size, so be it. But there is a percentage that will unsubscribe and either not play or go preferred over the changes made. If you add them together it’s around 22%. So BioWare have to at least gain 22% of new players and for them to stay past February for it even out.

Loud Minority or not - the sentiment is matched word for word with my guild-mates who do not post on these forums and on-wards and forwards from there.

Dismissing the fact there's an obvious problem based on the forum "minority" won't work here.

Pretty sure your going to find similar sentiments in reddit...and other areas of the net concerning this subject matter.

Edited by kage_goomba

If the forums are a poor source of feedback then what's the point of the PTS?

It's true that people are not going to spend much time in the forums of a game they play casually so forum posters do tend to be the highly committed minority. However, given that 7.0 is going to most adversely impact the casual player base, it seems reasonable to assume that its reception in game is going to be more negative than its reception on the forums.

That doesn't mean there will be a massive slump in players the moment 7.0 goes live; marketing hype and the holiday should see a respectable increase in players but that will fade and I would say 7.0 will, medium and long term, accelerate the decline in players.

It's very noticeable that the marketing talking points are always about commandos (PR note to interviewee: reference Bad Batch) using sniper rifles or double blasters and some vague "game is easier to pick up" waft. Savage gear gating, mass removal of class defining abilities, restriction of progress paths and removal of daily/weekly rollovers gets less air time for some reason.

However 7.0's biggest cost is the missed opportunity. Time spent doing bottom up reworks of content that the player base were largely comfortable with is time lost working on content that could have made SWTOR more appealing when stacked up against more modern alternatives.

If you want to use such a small sample size, so be it. But there is a percentage that will unsubscribe and either not play or go preferred over the changes made. If you add them together it’s around 22%. So BioWare has to at least gain 22% of new players and for them to stay past February for it even out.

Come on be honest, if the results were your way, you would have published in every forum in every post. That was the point of this.

And the thing is %22 of saying they would unsub, which they won't. Now they are angry, later they will adapt to the changes. For example, this is your 12398712381728301th^2 unsubbing post over the years, and yet here you are.

Devs have the actual data, they make assumptions according to that data. Can be wrong, can be right the time will tell but as you look at the other MMO's which they follow similar gearing patterns, it is safe to safe this won't have major negative impact on subs, can they are betting it will have positive one which I and many players agree upon.

The irony to linking that site is you need to look no further than the comments below it, which have mixed reactions to the expansion.

Considering people will need a subscription to play the expansion, of course people will sub or stay subbed, that's common sense, it's what happens once that content is finished and people are left with, once again, another gear grind, and not a very popular one.

Edited by Pirana

Come on be honest, if the results were your way, you would have published in every forum in every post. That was the point of this.

And the thing is %22 of saying they would unsub, which they won't. Now they are angry, later they will adapt to the changes. For example, this is your 12398712381728301th^2 unsubbing post over the years, and yet here you are.

Devs have the actual data, they make assumptions according to that data. Can be wrong, can be right the time will tell but as you look at the other MMO's which they follow similar gearing patterns, it is safe to safe this won't have major negative impact on subs, can they are betting it will have positive one which I and many players agree upon.

You can give me crap for caring enough about the game to actually cancel my reoccurring sub over dumb changes and give my feed back directly to management.

But at least I don’t just unsub a few months after the expansion lands and only come back to troll the forums when there’s another expansion. Thats the difference between us, I actually care about the game and it’s longevity.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

You can give me crap for caring enough about the game to actually cancel my reoccurring sub over dumb changes and give my feed back directly to management.

But at least I don’t just unsub a few months after the expansion lands and only come back to troll the forums when there’s another expansion. That's the difference between us, I actually care about the game and it’s longevity.

I care more than you do. And %99 of your ideas are just biased, not data-driven, wrong and just plain bad.

Just because you and 10 other loud people think is dumb, doesn't mean is dumb. After so many years the game is going to a good direction and most of the folk are happy with the changes/direction the game is headed. Even in your own Reddit pool which contains mostly casuals participating at least not unhappy with the changes.

The irony to linking that site is you need to look no further than the comments below it, which have mixed reactions to the expansion.

Considering people will need a subscription to play the expansion, of course people will sub or stay subbed, that's common sense, it's what happens once that content is finished and people are left with, once again, another gear grind, and not a very popular one.

If you can be BiS in maximum of 6 hours, 6.0 is done in a day since there are 2 hours of story.

At least by grinding gear you give people something to play. Let's say 7.0 is the same hour of story content so by giving a gear grind you give people something to play with. So you should be happy with the changes, because no matter what the gear is coming from, original content will be same amount. This gives replayability to the content we have, the incentive for endgame-group content since GEAR IS NUMBER ONE FACTOR to do anything IN ANY GAME.

I don't see people actually insulting the devs.

One thing I find absurd is when they say "we want to simplify the game for everyone, we want to reduce vendors, we want to reduce currencies" and then they do exactly the opposite of what they say.

The only dev that I feel obligated to insult is Ben Irving for pushing the 5.0 fiasco, that guy had zero idea of what he was doing.

EDIT: he is gone now, I know.

Edited by NogueiraA

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.