The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Question @ Devs: New Galactic Renown season after 7.0?

JattaGin

Dear Devs,

I haven't found information about this yet:

Will there be the second season of Galactic Renown starting with 7.0? I remember you mentioned before 6.0 that at some unknown point in the future, the renown season would end, and a new one would start.

I'm asking because of the "Limitless" title for achieving renown rank 999 on one char. I have my renown ranks spread out on dozens of chars, so in total I have some thousand ranks, but the highest char is only half way through to 999.

I'm worried that you will reset the ranks with 7.0, and that I won't be able to hit 999 before that.

Is a new renown season still your plan, or will you leave the game in season 1 after 7.0, because you now have a more interesting seasonal concept (Galactic Seasons)?

I would prefer it, if Galactic Renown stays at it is. No reset, no new season. :D

Thank you for your reply.

I listened to the talk they had on 7.0 -- heard nothing about "reastarting" this at all; maybe I missed something, but if I did, it was really fast

I will say no ... unless someone else heard them say it

Galactic Seasons restart in 7.0 -- after they are done in September .... (so I am going to say they will restart in December -- but that's a guess )

Edited by Tashia

• 5 weeks later...

Dear devs,

do you have a plan regarding Galactic Renown season 2?

Am I the only one who even remembers that you originally claimed to eventually have different galactic seasons?

I also remember how I didn't believe that this will actually happen, so I'd be happy if you confirm that you scrubbed this idea and galactic season 1 will continue indefinitely. Then I don't have to feel pressure to get one of my many chars to level 999 for the achievement before December.

Am I the only one who even remembers that you originally claimed to eventually have different galactic seasons?

You are not the only one. Not certain if I will hit level 999, but I will get all classes to level 100 before 7.0 arrives.

Dear devs,

do you have a plan regarding Galactic Renown season 2?

I also remember how I didn't believe that this will actually happen, so I'd be happy if you confirm that you scrubbed this idea and galactic season 1 will continue indefinitely. Then I don't have to feel pressure to get one of my many chars to level 999 for the achievement before December.

You are conflating two different things here. Your character's Renown rank has nothing to do with Galactic Seasons. Your Renown rank will not reset and we will simply get the second Galactic Season when the expansion comes out, which they announced here:

"Legacy of the Sith kicks off the next Galactic Season: Shadows of the Underworld! A new batch of rewards themed around the Shadow Syndicate--including Fen Zeil, a Duros Gunslinger and first Duros Companion in The Old Republic --will be available to all participating players. The new season will also come with a host of quality-of-life improvements, thanks to player feedback from our inaugural season in Game Update 6.3."

https://www.swtor.com/legacyofthesith

I can understand your confusion, though. During the livestream for Onslaught back in 2019 they indeed told us about an idea of giving us seasonal rewards for reaching specific Renown ranks and that those ranks will be reset with each new season. It's pretty obvious now that they were only talking about the general idea of adding seasonal rewards to the game and this idea evolved into the completely different Galactic Seasons mechanic we eventually got without the need to do it with our Renown ranks anymore.

Therefore you will have all the time in the world to reach Renown rank 999 if you choose to do so.

Edited by Phazonfreak

We probably get new gearing system with all new set bonus gear.

Most of the sets are gonna be useless, cause most of the abilities that are boosted with current sets will either be gone or they are optional.

Not sure how they are gonna decide on the set boni, cause depending on what abilities you choose or don't choose you might end up with very different builds.

Anyway they haven't really said anything about gearing yet, so it's all speculation at this point.

You are conflating two different things here. Your character's Renown rank has nothing to do with Galactic Seasons. Your Renown rank will not reset and we will simply get the second Galactic Season when the expansion comes out, which they announced here:

"Legacy of the Sith kicks off the next Galactic Season: Shadows of the Underworld! A new batch of rewards themed around the Shadow Syndicate--including Fen Zeil, a Duros Gunslinger and first Duros Companion in The Old Republic --will be available to all participating players. The new season will also come with a host of quality-of-life improvements, thanks to player feedback from our inaugural season in Game Update 6.3."

https://www.swtor.com/legacyofthesith

I can understand your confusion, though. During the livestream for Onslaught back in 2019 they indeed told us about an idea of giving us seasonal rewards for reaching specific Renown ranks and that those ranks will be reset with each new season. It's pretty obvious now that they were only talking about the general idea of adding seasonal rewards to the game and this idea evolved into the completely different Galactic Seasons mechanic we eventually got without the need to do it with our Renown ranks anymore.

Therefore you will have all the time in the world to reach Renown rank 999 if you choose to do so.

Actually when 6.0 launched the devs did say they were going to have season's for Renown as well. They said back then that at some point they'd reset our renown levels to 0 and have us start all over again.

I think the idea was to add more achievements as they did each Renown season as well.

It's possible they altered the idea on doing the seasonal renown, and changed it into what we now have as Galactic seasons.

Edited by Toraak

EA/BW will probably do something with Renown in 7.x. They aggressively re-monetized this system in 6.0, and now that it's normalized, I suspect they'll make its rewards harder to ignore.

In case you don't remember, it now takes two simultaneous, compounding, monetized consumables (XP and RXP boosts) to produce a 2.5X advantage for this box-drop mechanic.

You are conflating two different things here.

Not according to the devs during the Spoils of War livestream where Charles specifically says that Renown will be seasonal and probably only resetting with a big update like an expansion.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/432199850?t=00h55m35s

Edit -- Renown replaced Galactic Command. For a while a lot of people, including the devs on a few occasions, called it Galactic Renown. Their slide specifically says that Renown will be seasonal. Just because we have Galactic Seasons now does not mean that JattaGin, or anyone else, is conflating Galactic Seasons with Renown Seasons just because they put 'Galactic' at the front.

Edited by ceryxp

Galactic Seasons - a 3 to 5 month tracker with rewards.

Renown - Offering levels up to 999 and the limitless title.

The renown may end up being seasonal, but is not tied to Galactic Seasons. However, they called it seasonal but really just meant 'we might reset it when an expansion hits' which is slightly different in function (a season wouldn't be expected to last 2 years, for example).

So, maybe it'll reset, maybe it'll be replaced by something else in 7.0 or maybe they'd change it so renown levels reset each Galactic Season and tie those two together, who knows! It's a valid question, but not one a dev would answer in a milion years on a random thread on the forums because nobody authorized to reply reads the forums.

Not according to the devs during the Spoils of War livestream where Charles specifically says that Renown will be seasonal and probably only resetting with a big update like an expansion.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/432199850?t=00h55m35s

Edit -- Renown replaced Galactic Command. For a while a lot of people, including the devs on a few occasions, called it Galactic Renown. Their slide specifically says that Renown will be seasonal. Just because we have Galactic Seasons now does not mean that JattaGin, or anyone else, is conflating Galactic Seasons with Renown Seasons just because they put 'Galactic' at the front.

I was referring to the same livestream. At least to me it has become pretty clear that the idea presented in this livestream was rather vague and eventually became Galactic Seasons with its Daily Login bonus and Priority Objectives to complete instead of using Renown ranks as a measurement for seasonal progress. It also makes a lot of sense from a business perspective, because the only way you can skip Galactic Seasons levels is by paying Cartel Coins or Credits, whereas Renown ranks can be easily grinded by running certain Flashpoints with stealth characters ad infinitum.

In other words: I'm fairly certain that we will not get separate seasonal rewards for Galactic Seasons and Renown and that the idea of Renown as a seasonal mechanic has been scrapped. In any case, if they truly intended for Renown to get reset in 7.0, they would have told us by now with the announcement of the next expansion.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I don't think you can really say this. Before Renown, we had Command Ranks. Command was then replaced with the Renown system. Eventually, the Renown system will be replaced with something else for players to grind.

In other words: I'm fairly certain that we will not get separate seasonal rewards for Galactic Seasons and Renown and that the idea of Renown as a seasonal mechanic has been scrapped. In any case, if they truly intended for Renown to get reset in 7.0, they would have told us by now with the announcement of the next expansion.

What seasonal rewards for Renown? There are two titles: one for getting all classes to rank 100, and one for getting one class to rank 999. That is it. If Renown is reset with 7.0 there would likely be new titles for, possibly, the same achievements or different achievements. Is that what you consider seasonal Renown rewards? I have no idea why you are conflating Renown, Galactic Seasons, and Daily Login Rewards. There is nothing to indicate that Galactic Seasons and Daily Login Rewards replaced the intended seasonal reset mechanic of Renown levels.

In any case, if they truly intended to scrap the plan to reset Renown with the next expansion, they would have told us by now with the announcement of the next expansion.

Or, maybe not because communication is not BW's strong suit and they have not exactly been forthcoming with details about 7.0. Like the fact that they left out Force Kick, Resolute, and Force Clarity in the first pass and only after the fact acknowledge Force Kick and Resolute, but have yet to say anything about Force Clarity. BTW, I was one of the people telling others to not panic because it was highly unlikely that they were removing interrupts and CC breakers. I have been one of the people saying that there is more information coming, because like always BW holds back unnecessarily, and that people should give honest feedback about what we have been shown, because this is a high level preview, and not resort to hyperbolic rants.

I have seen nothing that indicates that Galactic Seasons and Daily Login Rewards are intended to replace the seasonal reset of Renown levels (from where did you conjure seasonal Renown rewards from a statement about levels being reset?) that they stated would happen at some point, likely with an expansion, during the Spoils of War livestream.

I don't think you can really say this. Before Renown, we had Command Ranks. Command was then replaced with the Renown system. Eventually, the Renown system will be replaced with something else for players to grind.

It was a figure of speech considering the op's concrete fear that he might have to make haste now to get to rank 999 before 7.0 arrives. Even if we will never get another mechanic that replaces Renown and the ranks will never reset, the game will obviously shut down some time in the future and no one can reach it anymore after that.

I have seen nothing that indicates that Galactic Seasons and Daily Login Rewards are intended to replace the seasonal reset of Renown levels (from where did you conjure seasonal Renown rewards from a statement about levels being reset?) that they stated would happen at some point, likely with an expansion, during the Spoils of War livestream.

True, we haven't gotten any official statement yet and it would help if one of the devs replied to the question. It's still quite obvious to me that this is the case considering the course of events. I believe there is a straight line from

->talking about Renown as a possible seasonal mechanic with resets and rewards tbd

to

->getting a completely separate and fleshed out seasonal mechanic with Galactic Seasons in the meantime

to

->announcing the next expansion and still no word about any possible Renown reset after two years.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Interesting question, personally as the level cap is going to be level 80, I just assumed that Renown was going to end for the new level cap. I guess Renown Season two with new level 80- gear would work. If so will level 75's still get Renown crates as they are now?

Not expecting an answer, as with any Xpac little info is given out at this stage, but it is a good question so hopefully BW add this to a list of questions to answer when the time comes to give info out.

Interesting question, personally as the level cap is going to be level 80, I just assumed that Renown was going to end for the new level cap. I guess Renown Season two with new level 80- gear would work. If so will level 75's still get Renown crates as they are now?

Not expecting an answer, as with any Xpac little info is given out at this stage, but it is a good question so hopefully BW add this to a list of questions to answer when the time comes to give info out.

If it works in anyway similar to when Galactic Command became Renown then no. With the level cap increase you will earn XP from level 75 to 80, and only when you are level 80 will you begin to earn Renown XP again.

EA/BW will probably do something with Renown in 7.x. They aggressively re-monetized this system in 6.0, and now that it's normalized, I suspect they'll make its rewards harder to ignore.

In case you don't remember, it now takes two simultaneous, compounding, monetized consumables (XP and RXP boosts) to produce a 2.5X advantage for this box-drop mechanic.

I don't know what it is like to live in your world, but it certainly must be difficult to sleep while in it.

I don't know what it is like to live in your world, but it certainly must be difficult to sleep while in it.

I care about structures and their purpose. We'd have a better game if more people did, too.

Edited by FlatTax

I care about structures and their purpose. We'd have a better game if more people did, too.

No you don't. GS did not change anything. This is just a continual whine from a different thread. Which was not even factual, as GS did not change anything in the structure of this game.

The structure of this game changed when cartel market first came into this came, it has not changed since then. That change was way back, It was in before I even started playing, that was 5-6 years ago.

@ceryxp

Yes you are right, it will just be XP until level 80. Must have been half a sleep when I made that post, lol I have been playing long enough to know better.

No you don't. GS did not change anything. This is just a continual whine from a different thread. Which was not even factual, as GS did not change anything in the structure of this game.

The structure of this game changed when cartel market first came into this came, it has not changed since then. That change was way back, It was in before I even started playing, that was 5-6 years ago.

@ceryxp

Yes you are right, it will just be XP until level 80. Must have been half a sleep when I made that post, lol I have been playing long enough to know better.

GS monetized Conquest, and added a timer to incentivize cash-outs.

6.0 did, in fact, re-monetize Command/Renown crates.

These are structural changes, and we should care.

Edited by FlatTax

GS monetized Conquest, and added a timer to incentivize cash-outs.

6.0 did, in fact, re-monetize Command/Renown crates.

These are structural changes, and we should care.

This is again a rediculous post. You have never needed to spend CC's for Command/renown. I know I have never done that, and I know of no other person that spent $ on renown boosts. I've never seen anything in a renown crate that would be worth buying a renown boost, especially since I could get them in game for free.

Conquest has never been and still isn't monetized.

Galactic seasons is FREE for anyone that spends time playing the game. Nobody has to spend one cent on it.

Edited by Toraak

I mean, let's look at the history:

1) for Holiday 2020, when they added the newest wookiee hugging achievement for, i think, 10,000, the Devs did not retroactively grant 1000 hugs' worth of completion to the people who already had 2019's achievement.

2) for 6.0, Command Tokens, Unassembled Components, Masterwork Data Crystals, and Monumental Data Crystals all went the way of the dodo bird and were converted to a paltry amount of credits. Rationale? The Devs do not want anyone to get a "head start" on anything. Reaching Command Rank IV certainly didn't translate into anything in 6.0 beyond the flair.

3) the only thing that became useful, probably because there was a cartel market cost attached to it, was that Command XP boosts became renown boosts. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

At best, renown will reset to 0 or will become something new, and existing Renown Boosts will convert to boosts for the new system if renamed. We'll get some cryptic information in the months leading up and then about two weeks or so before the expansion drops be told to spend all our tech fragments, because they will only be converted to 0.5 credits per fragment come 7.0 and we'll have to grind "Component Fragments of Unassembled Technology Mk-19" or something similar. At worst, they will be scrapping all the best parts of Spoils of War system (including renown) as a whole and going to straight RNG for everything. I'm certain renown ranks will not be "suspended" until we reach level 80 and then resume. In the best case scenario, renown is just reset, then the achievements will probably stay, and in the worst case scenario, those achievements will probably move to the Feats category and have 0 point value.

I think Phazon's argument, that Galactic Seasons is actually the end product of something that was on a whiteboard for 6.0 renown, is not unreasonable. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that something was discussed on a slide on a live stream and didn't materialize ... look to the the descriptions of Combat Styles for 7.0, which left out some cataclysmically important details, for the most recent example. It's going to be extremely hard to prove or disprove Phazon's point: clearly nothing happened with renown per se during all of 6.x, but we also know so infinitesimally little about gearing in 7.0.

This is again a rediculous post. You have never needed to spend CC's for Command/renown. I know I have never done that, and I know of no other person that spent $ on renown boosts. I've never seen anything in a renown crate that would be worth buying a renown boost, especially since I could get them in game for free.

Conquest has never been and still isn't monetized.

Galactic seasons is FREE for anyone that spends time playing the game. Nobody has to spend one cent on it.

'Free' grinds paired with cash-outs are a form of paywall. That's why they exist. Even if one opts for the grind, the system itself none the less remains monetized, on top of our subscriptions. Not 'having to' cash out simply doesn't matter.

GS *is* monetized Conquest, plus a timer to push sales.

Monetized consumables now provide a 2.5X advantage for the Renown crate-drop mechanic. Focusing on the availability of free boosts or the poor content of the boxes is to miss the forest for the trees. That's just tuning.

I expect Renown crates to be aggressively re-tuned in 7.x.

Posts like yours validate EA's most cynical assumptions about their customers.

Again, it's like EA put us all in a giant cauldron of water, set us over an enormous raging fire, and no one cares because the water isn't hot yet.

Structurally, almost nothing remains to separate us from the most predatory mobile games. We have gambling products, timers, monetized advantage-producing consumables, sabotaged QoL with cash-outs, item grinds with cash-outs, money laundering, and cash leaking into every core game system. All on top of our subscription costs.

We should care when they introduce problematic structure, and not wait for aggressive tuning. As we can see by your post, doing that normalizes the structure, the way EA intended.

Edited by FlatTax