I cannot find a straight answer

Sazodeha

I started the alliance/lost empire chapters. Of course, the DEV saw fit to take away all the companions you put credits and time into, frustrating beyond words. I found two apparent ways to get them back. some storyline and ruining said storyline through the vendor matching.

So I guess if I do not want to ruin something I have to complete a storyline, but which one? This lost empire/alliance storyline is a never-ending story! It's getting old REAL fast! I've done many stories, flashpoints, and operations, and still, no old companions. What storyline specifically will get them back!?

Commentary: To Dev. It's a carnal sin in any situation to take away what has been already earned. That was a very poor decision on every level. in the future, as you write new stories, flashpoints, etc. Remember, it's always considered bad form to take anything away that has already been earned. Especially in the beginning of the story where you basically make the character level 1 again, that was just absurd. ::Thumbs Down::

There's one storyline to play to get your companions back and it's the main KOTFE/KOTET chapters, followed by subsequent expansions (see here). Some of your companions will come back in these chapters and expansions.

Additionally at some point (don't remember exactly when, but it'll be in KOTFE after you land on Odessen and become the commander of the alliance) you'll get a mission alert from Oggurob, Hylo Visz, Aygo or Sana-rae (don't remember which one) to meet and hire a new member for your alliance. This mission alert will appear in the n-window (companion window) and you'll have to accept it to move it to your mission log. This mission will be the first of a long series in which you'll be able to hire members for your alliance, some of which will be past companions of your toon. The important thing to know here, is that you must play this first alert mission in order to unlock the next ones. Afterwards, you won't need to play all alert missions but only those that interest you. New alerts will appear in the n-window as you progress in the main KOTFE/KOTET storyline.

Hope this helps.

You aren't "ruining" anything. If you want them back and don't want to play through all of the story and all of the alliance alerts, just use the terminal.

OP got a point of value. If nobody tell You there is a terminal, one can go around an eternity.

You (He/She) might find it randomly after a long time.

Remember, it took bioware due time including that terminal.

By the Olden Gods, I have played since 2014. I have surely forgotten more things than what I once learned.

-Not everyone study, and remember patchnotes... Lenience is a good thing. Be nice.

Edited by Miffypiffy

I find it kind of funny that you "cannot find a straight answer" to something that has been a central game mechanic since October 2015 and was exhaustively covered on literally all of the SWTOR sites over the years.

This.

Also, you aren't paying attention to any of the story if you are doing all of these flashpoints, operations, etc. you claim to be doing to get your companions back - because they really have nothing to do with that storyline or your companions in the KotFE/KoTET lines.

Stick to the chapters, and actually pay attention to the storyline. Stop wandering off every time you see a squirrel.

I find it kind of funny that you "cannot find a straight answer" to something that has been a central game mechanic since October 2015 and was exhaustively covered on literally all of the SWTOR sites over the years.

Maybe from your perspective, which is clearly bias. I returned to the game after many years. There has been a staggering amount of changes and therefore a large and overwhelming learning curve as to what is where and how. Be considerate rather than condescending. When I did find that terminal it flashed warnings that if you get these companions back you are basically burning choices/ decisions. They make it seem pretty ominous.

This.

Also, you aren't paying attention to any of the story if you are doing all of these flashpoints, operations, etc. you claim to be doing to get your companions back - because they really have nothing to do with that storyline or your companions in the KotFE/KoTET lines.

Stick to the chapters, and actually pay attention to the storyline. Stop wandering off every time you see a squirrel.

Why is it that ppl see it as necessary to "give advice" and do so in a way that is rude and condescending? Without taking into consideration another perspective? Rude...

this "storyline" you're referring to, to someone who has come back to the game after years and has a massive amount of information (this is just a game after all), how many hours do you expect one to be able to invest in a busy world and life? at what point can I just easily play a game without it having epic novel level requirements. Hence asking those who know and save valuable time, but rather getting chided "chasing squirrels". Reminder, these storylines are anything but straightforward or well organized. If you haven't been around to see them systematically released, you enter the game with a big pile of hodge-podge pieces and no clear direction. Many of them are way, way too long for someone who doesn't have the time to get locked into a long and drawn-out mission. They really need to keep them to 5, maybe ten mins tops. But some lock you in for 30 mins or more! Yea, I am going to (space, space, space) my way through it, it's tedium! I do not always, first run I watch it, but after run one, space away!

Basically, if the direction was clear, the path was well written and obvious, I wouldn't have created this post. If you're going to offer advice, be considerate.

this "storyline" you're referring to, to someone who has come back to the game after years and has a massive amount of information (this is just a game after all), how many hours do you expect one to be able to invest in a busy world and life? at what point can I just easily play a game without it having epic novel level requirements

The story IS the game - unless you just want to play rinse and repeat flashpoints and operations.

If that is the case then I guess you refer to playing the game as the fabled "endgame" - that means you need to get to the end first by doing the story content.

Check on the many SWTOR sites that cover the story and how to progress it - there are literally tons of guides that will get you through it fast.

BTW if you are 70+ then you could skip the KOTFE / KOTET totally and start the Onslaught campaign (most recent story) from your ship terminal thing. Again read up on the consequences of that first though as skipping story content can result in you not having access to certain titles or companions without using the terminal.

Edited by Gericke

The story IS the game - unless you just want to play rinse and repeat flashpoints and operations.

So rinse and repeat the story is the game in your view. Except you can't do that multiple times on one character (except for KotFE/ET missions). So therefore you are saying that when people get bored they just have to make more characters because that's the game.

Is that a correct representation of your views or did you perhaps not think this through?

Why is it that ppl see it as necessary to "give advice" and do so in a way that is rude and condescending? Without taking into consideration another perspective? Rude...

I apologize if I came across as condescending or rude. But this seriously has been covered in the KotFE guides on all of the swtor sites exhaustively for two thirds of a decade now. This information is absolutely out there for you.

All you need to do is complete the mission to get Yuun, "To Find A Findsman", when it becomes available in KotFE. And then you just need to play the story, and the Alliance Alerts will come in to get companions over time. And some of them will be old ones returning.

Just from playing the story.

As of this date I think all but one have been returned at various points in KotFE, KotET, the Traitor Arc, and Onslaught.

Guides can necessarily be spoilery, but here's a few random examples for you:

Here is an overall guide with a good KotFE section:

https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-companions-guide/

Here is a quick reference for when they all come back, including requirements:

https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-companion-recruitment-guide/

Here is another guide for when they all come back:

https://vulkk.com/2016/12/06/swtor-companions-availability-list-swtor-5-0-guide/