Why Continue To Play SWTOR?

QDMcGraw

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you seriousaly think that the public playing the game decides what the game developers put in their next expansion? Please move along.

Game developers decide what to put into thier expansions- Game developers are ruled by shareholders, Shareholders are ruled by money.

A games playerbase provides said money- SO

By this alone Tweens decide what goes into the game because THEY will be giving money to the franchise.

Move along

I enjoyed the OP's well thought out slightly patronizing post. If it offends you....good. That's what he was aiming for. As someone who is NOT married, does NOT have kids, but is about hit that big mid-life turning point, I find time to be social. Yes I still play hardcore, but I know that raiding (especially so young in a MMO's inception) is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Only have one thing to add: Current generation is not only about immediate gratification, but also entitlement. They believe that everything should work *perfectly*. They don't understand that all software has bugs and problems. It's just that they don't ever use any other software except for that addictive MMORPG they play. Once you get into the real world using other types of software you'll soon find all too well that all sofware has major flaws. (That either get fixed, or end up getting ignored/worked around).

Too many assumptions throughout the post, and a clear showing for Jealously of inability to perform. Maybe its youth that has passed you, just as it will for everyone else but no need to attempt to discredit people for how they wish to spend their time.

Everyone plays an MMO for different reasons and assuming everyone wants or cares world first is short sighted. But those that do and want to work for it should be recognized just as they are in the real world. That is by a small number of people that are close to them and see their achievements and appreciate them.

Whats next are you going to flame those CEO's that burn the candle on both ends? The entrepreneurial lifestyle that creates no home life but is banking on future stability? Working 100 hours a week to create something that is important to them and hopefully their group of friends and family.

Just because your choices aren't panning out to exactly what you wanted them to be doesn't mean that the choice is wrong, just means it wasn't perfect for you. Your choice to have kids, get married, work a dead end job are all in fact your choices. Don't complain afterwards and try to change peoples perspective based on your own experience.

As far as scheduling, look we do it every day prioritize items. If your priority is making it to a kids event over a raid thats fine. They both are / were scheduled you just have to make a decision on which is more important to you. Again your decision, what a beautiful thing.

Its a game everyone playing it knows, if its this MMO or another. We all have the same number of hours in a day, how we choose to spend it is only valuable in the eyes of the person doing it.

Best of luck to you.

Too many assumptions throughout the post, and a clear showing for Jealously of inability to perform. Maybe its youth that has passed you, just as it will for everyone else but no need to attempt to discredit people for how they wish to spend their time.

Everyone plays an MMO for different reasons and assuming everyone wants or cares world first is short sighted. But those that do and want to work for it should be recognized just as they are in the real world. That is by a small number of people that are close to them and see their achievements and appreciate them.

Whats next are you going to flame those CEO's that burn the candle on both ends? The entrepreneurial lifestyle that creates no home life but is banking on future stability? Working 100 hours a week to create something that is important to them and hopefully their group of friends and family.

Just because your choices aren't panning out to exactly what you wanted them to be doesn't mean that the choice is wrong, just means it wasn't perfect for you. Your choice to have kids, get married, work a dead end job are all in fact your choices. Don't complain afterwards and try to change peoples perspective based on your own experience.

As far as scheduling, look we do it every day prioritize items. If your priority is making it to a kids event over a raid thats fine. They both are / were scheduled you just have to make a decision on which is more important to you. Again your decision, what a beautiful thing.

Its a game everyone playing it knows, if its this MMO or another. We all have the same number of hours in a day, how we choose to spend it is only valuable in the eyes of the person doing it.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the feedback, but I fear you missed the point of the post. Perhaps you didn't. But, at least you took the time to tackle it in whole with a well written response, and for that I thank you.

I dare say we are turning the corner on the one-liner responses, and I've noticed many more threads popping up with constructed formats and ideas behind the posts. It's slowly turning around on the forums and responses like yours are indicative to this change for the positive.

This right here makes me believe that

1) you failed to broaden your thought process to include the overall meaning to not "YOU" personally

2) The world including yourself sees a post like this and immidiately thinks its an attack on your own personal choices.

Which then to that I say Not everything is about "YOU" personally and the entire point of his post was that yes this is true for some and No it isn't true for others

Believe me I am in no way trying to be mean or slam you and simply offering up my point of view.

I do think I understand the point of the post, or attempted to anyhow. I even went back and read it a few times before posting. I read a lot of responses and yes you are right there are a lot of one liners. But as I said in my post I think its shortsighted.

Thanks for replying back with something useful as opposed to "YOUR WRONG I'M RIGHT HAHAHA" and I am guessing even your point of view has changed since the writing of that post a few days ago.

Do we all waste time in an MMO? Surely, just like everyone who watched every episode of friends wasted their time. What everyone does with their 24 hours is different, and what people think is "entertainment" is different. Is everyone playing an MMO out to try to enlarge their "epeen" as you so eloquently put it? I don't think so. Do those people exist? Yes. Just like the ahole at work that makes your life difficult for no reason at all exists. But just like that he is probably the minority.

The great thing about the game and real life is we all have choices. You can choose to stay working that place that is horrible, or you can leave. You can choose to raid with that set of loot whores or you can find a better place. Our nature is to stay where we are, sometimes even if its bad. I think it is because its the easiest, not the best. But maybe its just the group you surround yourself with that needs a change? Or maybe an MMO just isn't the place where you can have fun anymore?

OP...

I'm not your "friend", pal.

All I know is i'm having an epic run with this game so far, and see no end to my craze in sight. I was playing WoW hardcore up to the night before this released and my brother said we have to give this a go... I have WoW's ridiculous 1 year gimmick subscription that comes with diablo blablabla and i haven't thought of playing it once in the past 2 weeks. I mean it's almost been 100% out of my head. So let me take this ride TY

OP...

All I know is i'm having an epic run with this game so far, and see no end to my craze in sight. I was playing WoW hardcore up to the night before this released and my brother said we have to give this a go... I have WoW's ridiculous 1 year gimmick subscription that comes with diablo blablabla and i haven't thought of playing it once in the past 2 weeks. I mean it's almost been 100% out of my head. So let me take this ride TY

I highly doubt the OP is trying to force you not to enjoy the ride as you put it, and I'm highly entertained by people who post

"i am not your friend" Responses.

This right here makes me believe that

1) you failed to broaden your thought process to include the overall meaning to not "YOU" personally

2) The world including yourself sees a post like this and immidiately thinks its an attack on your own personal choices.

Which then to that I say Not everything is about "YOU" personally and the entire point of his post was that yes this is true for some and No it isn't true for others

I think that maybe its you that failed to broaden your thought process or have one at all. At no time am I saying I am feeling personally attacked. I am simply putting out my perspective. You however didn't add any value or thought to this entire discussion in anyway. You took the time to simply attempt to discredit my post by saying "heres why your post is wrong" But then not really adding any sort of substance to that stance.

You also took the time to generalize a population as big as the world to attempt in some way support your stance which is what again? Oh yeah, not everything is about "YOU" Maybe have a read at your own post and see how maybe it directly could be used in your life.

Edited by bukosknr

OP...

I think you are the majority, the bugs and the other BS are a pain in the butt but shouldn't take away from the overall experience. But just like in real life, the people that complain usually get heard because the people having fun are well, having fun and playing.

What i didn't think this thread was is a wow vs sw:tor thread ;) I guess I tried to over look that overplayed topic.

From what I skimmed, it seems the poster assumes, everyone playing this game used to play WoW, and that because we all invested time in WoW, we should just stop playing Old Republic now and go back to WoW because there is more to do, or something along those lines.

I love this game, and yes I used to play WoW, I won't deny it. I don't really care about leaving my level 85 to rot for all eternity because I enjoy this game. Now don't get me wrong, there are problems with this game, but what large scale game doesn't have problems upon release. The point of an MMO is that the continued support of subscriptions will allow them to consistantly improve and add upon, so I look forward to the future.

The people who keep comparing this game to WoW, don't seem to understand how long WoW has had to improve it's self. WoW in vanilla was pretty limited. I'd rather compare this game to KOTOR, and then enjoy the fact that there are tons of other people playing with me.

He didn't mean everyone, only the people who feel that way.

I think that maybe its you that failed to broaden your thought process or have one at all. At no time am I saying I am feeling personally attacked. I am simply putting out my perspective. You however didn't add any value or thought to this entire discussion in anyway. You took the time to simply attempt to discredit my post by saying "heres why your post is wrong" But then not really adding any sort of substance to that stance.

You also took the time to generalize a population as big as the world to attempt in some way support your stance which is what again? Oh yeah, not everything is about "YOU" Maybe have a read at your own post and see how maybe it directly could be used in your life.

Fair enough, however, I wouldn't go as far as saying I haven't added anything of value this entire discussion

*EDIT* As for my so called blatant attempt to discredit your post. I too was just putting out my perspective. One that you have advised me was ill concieved

Edited by Spyderwraith

Q. F. T.

The post is complete WIN. Dude, I commend you. Nothing more I can say...just very well written and TRUE post.

That aside, I am in the same boat with wife, diapers, baby, work, etc... whereas for the past 5 years I spent my late evenings raiding. Yes, my raiding years have passed me by for the most part, even though I'll try to get into some when I hit 50...

BTW, do you write childrens books too? Could be a new profession.

We know you came from WoW, don't deny it. Everyone playing MMO's has had a run through the turnstile of the most popular MMO out there.

The most useless word one can write when trying to persuade anyone is "you." You are a moron to think everyone playing an MMO has bothered to suffer through that grindfest of cartoon trash. (See i am not trying to convince you that you are a moron, i'm telling you). Why would you not include a TL;DR?

From what I skimmed, it seems the poster assumes, everyone playing this game used to play WoW, and that because we all invested time in WoW, we should just stop playing Old Republic now and go back to WoW because there is more to do, or something along those lines.

I love this game, and yes I used to play WoW, I won't deny it. I don't really care about leaving my level 85 to rot for all eternity because I enjoy this game. Now don't get me wrong, there are problems with this game, but what large scale game doesn't have problems upon release. The point of an MMO is that the continued support of subscriptions will allow them to consistantly improve and add upon, so I look forward to the future.

The people who keep comparing this game to WoW, don't seem to understand how long WoW has had to improve it's self. WoW in vanilla was pretty limited. I'd rather compare this game to KOTOR, and then enjoy the fact that there are tons of other people playing with me.

I never played that dumb game (WoW), but I know people who do. I've heard stories about how WoW does things, nad I'm beyond happy I never played it. It even looks like it was made for, and by 5-year-olds.

This poster 'gets it' though. WoW sadly ruined the MMO world, WoW is nothing but a copy-cat of every other game before it and after it, 0 oringinality, and yet people act like God made WoW himself. :rolleyes:

Edited by Eillack

I enjoyed your post OP. Rather hilarious that so few actually got it and rather sad so many felt the need to comment on it without even reading your whole post. :cool:
That's because it was;
  • Too long
  • opened with a statement that did not apply to me
  • was too long
  • Assumed something about me that was untrue
  • Was repetative...

;)

EDIT: Just for clarification, not everyone gets married, not everyone has kids, and not everyone that has to get their reports to their bosses use it as an excuse not to be able to handle high end raid content.

You are right, some people still live with mommy and daddy when they are 30 or 40 years old and can dedicate their lives to playing video games.

Yes hardcore players are in fact usually pathetic humans in RL, and yes the mmo market today is for the casual gamers. What else is new?

So Op you realized that you spent your best years wasteing your time as a hardcore player, but it was your choice. Instead you could have used your time doing something important like watching TV, hang in bars, or watch some sports teams every move.

Then again, most players ar casual and of all my 10 friends who play the game i am the only one who reads the forums at times. Hardcore gamers are a very small community imho.

Believe me I am in no way trying to be mean or slam you and simply offering up my point of view.

I do think I understand the point of the post, or attempted to anyhow. I even went back and read it a few times before posting. I read a lot of responses and yes you are right there are a lot of one liners. But as I said in my post I think its shortsighted.

Thanks for replying back with something useful as opposed to "YOUR WRONG I'M RIGHT HAHAHA" and I am guessing even your point of view has changed since the writing of that post a few days ago.

Do we all waste time in an MMO? Surely, just like everyone who watched every episode of friends wasted their time. What everyone does with their 24 hours is different, and what people think is "entertainment" is different. Is everyone playing an MMO out to try to enlarge their "epeen" as you so eloquently put it? I don't think so. Do those people exist? Yes. Just like the ahole at work that makes your life difficult for no reason at all exists. But just like that he is probably the minority.

The great thing about the game and real life is we all have choices. You can choose to stay working that place that is horrible, or you can leave. You can choose to raid with that set of loot whores or you can find a better place. Our nature is to stay where we are, sometimes even if its bad. I think it is because its the easiest, not the best. But maybe its just the group you surround yourself with that needs a change? Or maybe an MMO just isn't the place where you can have fun anymore?

I was sincere with my thanks for your reply, honestly. It was well constructed criticism towards the topic and the post as a whole, not just some derisive tl;dr kind of thing. This is the kind of feedback that gets everyone thinking and not just shooting from the hip, which is why I replied maybe you didn't get it, but maybe you did. I know you did now, and for that I'm thankful.

It comes down to everyone having differing view points and where as you and I may not see exactly eye to eye, we can at least have a discussion about it. I let the OP stand as it is and accept it's not for everyone. It was simply written to encapsulate much of the flame bait thrown around on the boards and to do so in a funny way.

Satire, humor, irony; these things appeal to many on different levels, and though my post didn't strike a true humor chord within you, you understand where it's coming from and that's really all I can ask of the readers. Well, that and well constructed repsonses, which you have accomplished.

I never played that dumb game (WoW0, but I know people who do. I've heard stories about how WoW does things, nad I'm beyond happy I never played it. It even looks like it was made for, and by 5-year-olds.

This poster 'gets it' though. WoW sadly ruined the MMO world, WoW is nothing but a copy-cat of every other game before it and after it, 0 oringinality, and yet people act like God made WoW himself. :rolleyes:

In defense of WoW, it was an incredible game for a few years. The last 2-3 have been downhill and that's because they bowed down to the masses on the forums. Mind you, they make up a majority of that game and it took them 4 years to bow down, but, it's been downhill ever since.

It's so wildly popular, it can't be discounted. It's also very intricate, I think it's unfair to say it was created by 5 year olds, but saying it's for 5 year olds... well, we're getting closer to the subject of truth. WoW is marketed towards a younger crowd for sure. After my friends and I got SWTOR, we showed it to their kids. It was too slow, too many cut scenes, too much talking, etc. They just want to click a button, then look on their map for the new icon for where to go kill.

I come from a time of MMO's with no in game maps, only text in your social windows with vague instructions on where to go and what to do. The games these days are marketed towards the fast ADD, do no it now crowd. WoW proved this is a viable feature and selling point. They've brought it to it's event horizon, and it's now sucking in everything around it.

I'm still shocked at how many people say they didn't play it. I understand the need to deride the main subject and try to find ways to not make it pertinent to the reply, but the way people reply, it's like the game is, was and always shall be beneath them, when in fact, it was a great game for the majority of it's existence.