Insane Lag Spikes on Star Forge

Spectrum as well, southern U.S.

Not being a tech wizard on any level why would the internet itself work rock solid right down to other online games like WoW but sign in SWTOR and it all but grinds to a halt?

Edited by Cindron

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be a negative ghost rider.

I repair things like you mentioned all the time. It is not in fact, the computer or internet.

There is no problem, anywhere but with swtor. and as i mentioned before, there was an issue only effecting one providers customers, as far as not being able to log on the game.

Thanks for trying though.

Did you bother to test or are you just saying you did? If you did test, please post the screen shots so we can see.

Spectrum here, in southern US. Not going to install pingplotter or other paid service. Every other connection is fine so something with the provider an server connection?

Do you know how to do a tracert? That is a Windows service you can use if you don’t want to install anything. It may show up what’s happening or it may not. It’s not something you can run live while you are playing. But if you won’t install anything, it might be better than nothing to see where you were having issues.

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm#graphs

I'm guessing that Virginia (Ashburn) is the problem location for most of us as we are routed to the server.

Depends on the ISP’s peering arrangements. Also Bioware use a few different ISPs to connect the servers to the internet.

From everything I’ve read on social media and the forums, it seems everyone with a problem is on the same ISP.

Depends on the ISP’s peering arrangements. Also Bioware use a few different ISPs to connect the servers to the internet.

From everything I’ve read on social media and the forums, it seems everyone with a problem is on the same ISP.

Sounds like an issue with the patch spectrum customers are using to get to the severs. That alone says it's not a Bioware or server issue but somewhere an issue with a 3rd party provider that's providing the routing to the servers.

Reading this link supplied to me and what others have said after. So what people are saying is that the latest update is not being delivered in a timely matter and is in fact dragging the entire SWTOR connection to a near stand still due to Spectrum. That "packets" are not routed correctly all of a sudden. That it is entirely the fault of the ISP and not Biorware?

I'm probably still missing something. Are we all supposed to call Spectrum now? No not being sarcastic just trying to make sense of it.

Reading this link supplied to me and what others have said after. So what people are saying is that the latest update is not being delivered in a timely matter and is in fact dragging the entire SWTOR connection to a near stand still due to Spectrum. That "packets" are not routed correctly all of a sudden. That it is entirely the fault of the ISP and not Biorware?

I'm probably still missing something. Are we all supposed to call Spectrum now? No not being sarcastic just trying to make sense of it.

If your ISP is spectrum, then the answer is YES. You should definitely call them.

If your ISP is spectrum, then the answer is YES. You should definitely call them.

So we suppose to call Spectrum and tell them what? This lag is only happening in swtor and nothing else. I am not trying to be a dick or anything and I am not computer savvy but for the life of me I just dont understand why it is only happening in swtor and nothing else.

So we suppose to call Spectrum and tell them what? This lag is only happening in swtor and nothing else. I am not trying to be a dick or anything and I am not computer savvy but for the life of me I just dont understand why it is only happening in swtor and nothing else.

If you followed the advice I gave to diagnose the issue with ping plotter, you would have evidence to take to spectrum and show what’s happening. They are your ISP, it is there problem to fix, not Biowares. But don’t believe me, don’t do your own investigation, just come here and attack my helpful advice and BioWare for not fixing your ISP’s problem :rolleyes:

Same problem for me. With patch 6.3a, lag spikes make the game unplayable for me, oddly enough (to me, anyway, as my tech knowledge is near non-existent for this situation) only with the two North American servers. I'm in the Central U.S., using Spectrum. I was on the Darth Malgus server and didn't experience any problems beyond the usual "I'm in the U.S. playing on the Darth Malgus server" ping. I had no problems playing on DM. I switched to the SF and SatShan servers, and the ping -- best about 400, immediately spiking to small red X -- made the game unplayable for me on those two servers.

Something similar happened to me (and I expect others) a few years ago. SWTOR suddenly had high ping (if that's the correct usage) and was unplayable. I spent hours learning what the heck ping was, and doing tracerts and ping tests. Sending copies of them to SWTOR and my ISP's tech departments. Four hours total on the phone with SWTOR and my ISP's tech folks. While both tech folks were very nice, both declared the problem was not on their end. A few days later -- poof! No problem. I appreciate the advice to plot pings (or tracerts, sorry all that knowledge from years ago is gone for me) but not at the moment. Right now, I'm just adding my voice to those for whom the game is currently unplayable.

Edited by Nmyownworld

So I guess my experience was a tale of three pipes to the server, because I logged in 3 times yesterday, and for two of them I had no issues whatsoever, despite standing right next to someone that was saying they were. On the final log in, I hit the Red X of Doom.

Same problem for me. With patch 6.3a, lag spikes make the game unplayable for me, oddly enough (to me, anyway, as my tech knowledge is near non-existent for this situation) only with the two North American servers. I'm in the Central U.S., using Spectrum. I was on the Darth Malgus server and didn't experience any problems beyond the usual "I'm in the U.S. playing on the Darth Malgus server" ping. I had no problems playing on DM. I switched to the SF and SatShan servers, and the ping -- best about 400, immediately spiking to small red X -- made the game unplayable for me on those two servers.

Something similar happened to me (and I expect others) a few years ago. SWTOR suddenly had high ping (if that's the correct usage) and was unplayable. I spent hours learning what the heck ping was, and doing tracerts and ping tests. Sending copies of them to SWTOR and my ISP's tech departments. Four hours total on the phone with SWTOR and my ISP's tech folks. While both tech folks were very nice, both declared the problem was not on their end. A few days later -- poof! No problem. I appreciate the advice to plot pings (or tracerts, sorry all that knowledge from years ago is gone for me) but not at the moment. Right now, I'm just adding my voice to those for whom the game is currently unplayable.

For the record, it has nothing to do with 6.3a. That installed Monday. I experienced no problems Monday or Tuesday morning. It was after work on Tuesday when I first noticed this current issue. The fact that you can play without the issues on DM is because your connection is not affected by the bad router near the SWTOR servers in Virginia. That's more confirmation 6.3a had nothing to do with this.

For the record, it has nothing to do with 6.3a. That installed Monday. I experienced no problems Monday or Tuesday morning. It was after work on Tuesday when I first noticed this current issue. The fact that you can play without the issues on DM is because your connection is not affected by the bad router near the SWTOR servers in Virginia. That's more confirmation 6.3a had nothing to do with this.

The problem isn't patch 6.3a. That's good to know.

If you followed the advice I gave to diagnose the issue with ping plotter, you would have evidence to take to spectrum and show what’s happening. They are your ISP, it is there problem to fix, not Biowares. But don’t believe me, don’t do your own investigation, just come here and attack my helpful advice and BioWare for not fixing your ISP’s problem :rolleyes:

Look I am not trying to attack anyone I am just saying, every other online game I have zero problems, I was able to play Elder Scrolls online while someone else watch Netflix with zero problems. But yet when it comes to Swtor I keep red Xing and lagging. How do I call my internet provider and tell them to fix the internet for one game and everything else is working fine.

Look I am not trying to attack anyone I am just saying, every other online game I have zero problems, I was able to play Elder Scrolls online while someone else watch Netflix with zero problems. But yet when it comes to Swtor I keep red Xing and lagging. How do I call my internet provider and tell them to fix the internet for one game and everything else is working fine.

Let's break this down a bit too much. The internet is a collection of highways. To get from Point A to Point B, the signal is going to travel through several hubs. To get to point C, it may use different hubs to reach it's destination. Just because there's a 300 car pile up on the route between A and B doesn't mean you're going to hit that wreck going to C. This is demonstrated clearly in this thread by people changing where A is, with a VPN, and successfully getting to B with no issues. If the actual problem was B, it wouldn't matter where A was, there would always be an issue.

She explained that (pingplotter).

The reason other things are working just fine is because they are not in the same location as the SWTOR servers, so you aren't being bottlenecked on route to the destination (and back).

Anyone see an update from the devs on this? I've tried submitting a ticket in game and twitter. Confirmed my internet is running at 100%, played a more internet intensive game with no issues, used a speedtest, etc. It's not the NE internet.