Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Is this happening for all classes?

I haven't noticed it to much on my Bounty Hunter, but I've noticed it so badly on my Marauder that I decided to just quit her. (Insane ability display, abilities resetting themselves, etc.)

I'm just going to re-roll again and hope they fix this, although it will probably take months, and at that point it'll be too late.

It's happening to most classes I've tried, but I indeed did not notice it much, if at all, on my Bounty Hunter (Powertech). Maybe they got that one right, it would certainly mean it can be fixed.

Uh.....hint, this is not an FPS.

Uh.... good observation! That does not really invalidate his claims though.

Edited by Sneakymcstab

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya it is definetly noticable i think it will totally destroy swtor pvp and end game raiding content making it a cool game to play around with for awhile till the single player aspect bores everyone and they begin dropping..which i do not wanna see by anymeans.

Combat is the key to a succsesful mmo and even tohugh i am completly bored with wow's content and current expansion they have combat down in spades. when u "chain" your ability's together in wow it just feels f'n amazing.

Bio u started somethnig extremely great with this game dont let this minor glitch destroy what could be the best mmo ever !!!! :) ty for responding to this as well.

That's a really bad analogy.

Software can be altered and patched. Bioware may have felt that what they were doing was a good thing, and now they may have changed their minds. They can deploy changes to the game that will resolve the problem... Furthermore the engine is a proprietary solution and we are unaware of their contractual obligations with the team behind the base engine, and/or their internal policy regarding the discussion of the technical aspect of their software on a public forum. There's a little thing called Trade Secrets, which I'm sure is applicable here.

Ignoring the fact that the game is balanced terribly, and there are major glaring issues which were to be expected in a new MMO's release, I respectfully disagree. This game is unplayable from a competitive standpoint. It is only possible to outperform your enemies and teammates if they are terrible, or you use some tremendous Kentucky windage to account for the monumental delay that comes with player versus player coding in this game. To me, that proves that the developers have no idea how to balance or design a game from a multi-player standpoint, and that none of them actually play any games competitively.

You can't say that about Blizzard. They made StarCraft. If you know what you're looking for, you can see the balance and where they sought to make the game consistent from a competitive standpoint. This is a single player/questing/low-intensity PvE game and it always will be, because it was designed as such. The fact that they actually released it this way proves that definitively. The fact that no member of their design team played the PvP and raised any semblance of a red flag definitively proves all of it.

Uh.....hint, this is not an FPS.

Your point being? This game still requires people to be quick off the mark to pull abilities off at the right time. Especially when raiding & doing high-end PvP.

My point being that if those FPSs had ability delay, they would nowhere near as popular. You probably wouldn't even see them around because no-one would be playing them.

It doesn't matter what genre i use as an example, responsive controls are a must.

Edited by SnakeBites

Wow... can you guys stop with the exagerations sometime soon?!

The game is completely playable, setting ability delay to 0.0 i hardly feel any delay at all. There are some abilities with delay and the dominance of animations over casting bars at the moment and its getting looked into.

Just stop the constant QQ'ing and useless threats. If you want to leave, leave. No one is forcing you to stay. A developer doesnt change its whole working scheduale at the sound of forum whining. The issue is beeing adressed, let it run its course now.

Have you tried Trooper or Smuggler?

Those were my next re-rolls. >_>

Trooper, not beyond level 3 or so.

Smuggler, yes. Gunslinger at 31. That particular class is plagued by many bugs at the moment. Cover not working right, in various ways. Abilities cancelling out when they shouldn't. Some of it is fixed in the coming patch, but I'm guessing cover will always be kinda wonky. It's still great fun though!

I have a Scoundrel at 13 who seems to work for the most part, but I would need more time to tell one way or the other. It seemed like Backblast worked alright though. It has a pretty slow animation, so half the time in pvp by the time the damage happens you're not behind the target anymore, but it still seems to go off reliably.

Edited by Sneakymcstab

Wow... can you guys stop with the exagerations sometime soon?!

The game is completely playable, setting ability delay to 0.0 i hardly feel any delay at all. There are some abilities with delay and the dominance of animations over casting bars at the moment and its getting looked into.

Just stop the constant QQ'ing and useless threats. If you want to leave, leave. No one is forcing you to stay. A developer doesnt change its whole working scheduale at the sound of forum whining. The issue is beeing adressed, let it run its course now.

Want to post your highest competitive gaming achievement? Chess or anything else strategy related? Just so we can see the demographic you're representing.

You were not playing optimally if you made use of 2 buttons. My Warlock had over 46 keybinds of which 38 were used regularly during a Boss encounter. Stop spreading misinformation.

lol. No..no...you sir are not telling the truth. This made me literally laugh out loud.

Want to post your highest competitive gaming achievement? Chess or anything else strategy related? Just so we can see the demographic you're representing.

Yeah i was number 2 best dps Paladin in the world in 2 WoW firelands bosses just before 4.3 came out and i quit.

Oh wow... you werent expecting that were you? Someone that is good and isnt whiny?!

Yeah, its called maturity. You might want to take the hint.

Edited by Nemmar

Yeah i was number 2 best dps Paladin in the world in 2 WoW firelands bosses just before 4.3 came out and i quit.

Oh wow... you werent expecting that were you? Someone that is good and isnt whiny?!

I think he meant prove...not just say

I don't mind if the delay is "coded" into the game as various "animations" etc. That would be just a part of the game, like throwing a grenade and it takes time for it reach the target, nobody is complaining at that. That is how it should be.

However in my case, it takes the game 0.5+ seconds just to register that i've used an ability. In my clip it's a bit worse and takes 0.8 seconds. This just doesn't happen in any game i've played before. A problem like mine you would expect the latency to be well over 500, but at 50ms no way. One could even say "hey your fps is terrible!", i know(in the vid it's lower because of fraps btw), but the thing is in wow, lotro, eq2, or any other single player game that runs like crap on my computer, i don't have a problem like this. I click on something it activates, no big deal.

Funny to note is how random this problem can even be. At time stuff activates right away, like it should. I just don't get the randomness of the problem. Anyway most of the time i always have this "delay". Like i said it could be fps related, but who knows, it's not like BW has said anything. And if it's fps related then there is some "coding" problem sadly.

I really like the game and i still play it. I won't stop to play because of something like this, but it would be so much more fun to play if i didn't have this problem.

<edit> As you can see in the video, the game registers that i do click, as the GCD starts. But the combat animation takes 0.8 seconds to begin. It could just be some delay in the client->server. For all we know the latency bar could be broken.

Edited by hulduet

I think he meant prove...not just say

As much as i'd love to rub it in your ridiculous faces, if you actually have a minor notion, it wouldnt be possible anymore because WoW entered a new gear tier since i left. So, obviously the records wont hold on world of logs.

i once traveled to mars naked using farts as propellant.

yep, this statement is as rilevant as yours

Edited by Selvetarm

As much as i'd love to rub it in your ridiculous faces, if you actually have a minor notion, it wouldnt be possible anymore because WoW entered a new gear tier since i left. So, obviously the records wont hold on world of logs.

So in short, you're lying an you're really a 1500 allstar?

Hi, PvE isn't competitive or strategy related if you're not in a top ten guild. Nice try. You pick an underplayed spec, an uncompetitive parse and try to one up me with that?

Why don't you tell me how many times you got Gladiator?

Oh, that's because everyone already knows the answer to that question.

Playing guitar myself I completely understand!

I support this! 100% please fix the problem I love this game but this is killing me!

Rock on! I play a bit of guitar too actually but it's not my forte. :o

icwutudidthur

Good post and simile.

Thanks!

Great post, and excellent analogy about the issue we are all experiencing.

Thank you very much!

I really have no need to prove myself to you. I know i did it, and i have several guild members that can vouch for me.

Either way, it matters little because the point still stands. The issue is beeing looked at by Bioware and youre just beeing whinners. There is nothing else you can do to speed up the process.

Edited by Nemmar

I really have no need to prove myself to you. I know i did it, and i have several guild members that can vouch for me.

Either way, it matters little because the point still stands. The issue is beeing looked at by Bioware and youre just beeing whinners. There is nothing else you can do to speed up the process.

If you didn't feel the need to prove anything you would have never said anything.

Just because they claim to be "looking into the issue" does not mean that everything is solved and that we can put this thread to rest.

If you ever studied history, you would know very well of the types of "promises" I am addressing :p