Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Uh. I said it before. I suffer from all of the above issues, like we all do.

But lately the most annoying were on my Jedi Knight, in Warzones. I have to spam Tenacity for it to kick in and when it does, the Crowd Control I was hit by is already almost gone. This is god damn unacceptable.

Same with Saber Ward, I can press it, but nothing will happen. What I do now is just spam it, literally spam it for 2-3 seconds clicking it like mad until it decides to turn on.

Yet another thing - on my Trooper, there's an ability (and I forgot the name) that makes your next cast instant. Well, thanks a lot! But thanks to the Char responsiveness it doesn't work. I press it and then cast my ability straight away, but its not instant, I can clearly see the casting bar! It's there, the spell is being cast, and the "charge for instant casting" gets consumed.

Oh, and mounting up. Dont get me start on that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...the way you're making it sound is that you're at a huge disadvantage in PvP. I couldn't go as far to say that PvP is not playable. Keep in mind that the other player isn't avoiding the problem either, but yeah it is very annoying in PvP no matter who you are and needs fixed.

Here's the deal, battle of the ******* isn't PvP....it's just annoying.

If 2 people are coming at me (bro) and I want to DPS one, and CC the other...I'm screwed. So what this means is that I get to take it hard and fast from two burly men in wheelchairs.

It's unplayable. Again, you might want to check out the "desire to win" portion of my post you quoted.

Edit: the censored word is the word for "special people"

Edited by Arkimor

Here's the deal, battle of the ******* isn't PvP....it's just annoying.

If 2 people are coming at me (bro) and I want to DPS one, and CC the other...I'm screwed. So what this means is that I get to take it hard and fast from two burly men in wheelchairs.

It's unplayable. Again, you might want to check out the "desire to win" portion of my post you quoted.

Edit: the censored word is the word for "special people"

I'm sure the other guy has just as much desire to win as you. and if 2 guys are coming at you you're screwed either way unless they are playing with their feet. The problem effects all players in PvP. So there really is no way to say that it is unplayable since both sides are at equal disadvantage unless of course it's 2v1 as you said...in which case you're at a disadvantage no matter what. And really don't reply saying 'hey bro im pro at pvp i can 2v1 all day cc one dps the other' because the reality is you cc them they PvP trinket and stun you then proceed to gang bang you. Unplayable? No extremely irritating and without a doubt needs to be fixed asap? Yes.

I have a genuine feeling this will never be fixed. I think it's an issue with the foundation of the game, the engine.

I think this game will limp along with Star Wars fans, but will be put in the same group as Rift and WAR, games that were good but not great.

If you truly believed that you wouldn't be posting this yet alone be playing the game. The fact of the matter is they either fix it or lose 60%+ of their players.

I hope its not the actual game engine.

Maybe the fact that there is no auto-attack has something to do with it. If no buttons are pressed the character goes into passive mode. So each press of the button makes each move reload from scratch. Plus the fact that many servers are crazy crowded and everyone is essentially resetting their characters for battle.

I don't know. It just makes some encounters harder than they have to be. This isn't even taking into account the rash of dcs when the lag gets real bad. In the instances I've been in its almost always the healers or the tanks that are booted when it lags.

Please, fix this, and fix it fast.

I played Rift and WAR, and the lack of responsiveness (especially for WAR) made me quit after 2 monthes (and yes, I went back to 'the other game' ...).

Rift was slightly better, but still far from wow in this area.

What keeps me playing SWTOR is the storyline. After that, I, and many others I guess, could leave due to these responsiveness issues.

It needs to be fixed... fast. Having to spam one ability 3 to 4 times only to have it used once is bad. Abilities that are timed like Riposte, Rail Shot or interrupts are just begging to fail.

Im not gonna say thats its easy or hard... i have no idea, nor care to know. I just want it to work so I can officially quit on my social life....

I'm sure the other guy has just as much desire to win as you. and if 2 guys are coming at you you're screwed either way unless they are playing with their feet. The problem effects all players in PvP. So there really is no way to say that it is unplayable since both sides are at equal disadvantage unless of course it's 2v1 as you said...in which case you're at a disadvantage no matter what. And really don't reply saying 'hey bro im pro at pvp i can 2v1 all day cc one dps the other' because the reality is you cc them they PvP trinket and stun you then proceed to gang bang you. Unplayable? No extremely irritating and without a doubt needs to be fixed asap? Yes.

Did you....yeah, you just basically said everyone is one is equally good at PvP; you know, I don't think I've EVER heard that argument before, literally.

Since when was 2v1 being pro? CC'ing a off target, while dps'ing another is **** that raiders can explain. I'm sorry that I spoke of something you've never done before and don't understand?:confused:

Either way, we all know it's a broken system. Bump.

If you truly believed that you wouldn't be posting this yet alone be playing the game. The fact of the matter is they either fix it or lose 60%+ of their players.

Not sure what you're saying, but I already quit. I haven't logged in for a total of three days now.

Cinematic combat is meant to be watched not played. Stop complaining go listen to some voiceover...

Some people enjoy getting those most out of their combat.

I don't need to sit there and spin my lightsaber while getting my face punched in while mashing a strike ability.

Cinematic... Is awful if thats what you wana call it.

I mean seriously bioware just go copy WoW's combat minus the auto attack , bam your winning.

Edit: I apologize for those that don't care about this feature being junk. I forget sometimes that some people just do not give a **** about playing well and are only here to unwind.

Edited by Light_Valkyrie

Sing me up for a melee ability delay complaint. I get this problem far more on my Assassin than I do my Marauder. It's actually so bad for me I can't even play my Assassin because it annoys me that much. I keep trying to use skills, but it looks like I am spinning my lightsaber like I am at a rave. :o

Hopefully this issue gets taken care of sooner rather than later.

Did you....yeah, you just basically said everyone is one is equally good at PvP; you know, I don't think I've EVER heard that argument before, literally.

Since when was 2v1 being pro? CC'ing a off target, while dps'ing another is **** that raiders can explain. I'm sorry that I spoke of something you've never done before and don't understand?:confused:

Either way, we all know it's a broken system. Bump.

Hmm...2800 player from WoW i think i'd know better then you that they use their trinket the second you CC them. Yet again i'm not accustomed to facing players so bad that they sit in a CC and get 2v1'd. A smart player would trinket the CC, or interrupt it, or perhaps his trinket isn't up and he fails to interrupt his buddy CC's you back until his CC is over. Or maybe his buddy dispels his CC. So yes, you are in fact correct i would not understand how wining 2v1 is not pro due to the fact that everyone in the bracket i played in was extremely skilled.

this thing also eats potions. i used my last battle fortitude potion and didnt get the buff. not sure how i managed it, maybe i buffed unnatural might and the too soon afterwards took the potion clicking it in my the action bar.

I almost broke up with my boyfriend because we got in a huge argument over him not healing me. He kept insisting that his heals weren't working and I finally realized why.

I hope you can help me mend this relationship and find a fix asap. This is more important than any new content in the next update. Quite critical. May the force be with you, Bioware.

You know...if a video game arguement is enough to make you "Almost" break up...you may want to re-evaluate your relationship.

I'm one of the two technical support MVPs over at the World of Warcraft technical support forums (if that means anything here!). I too find myself plagued by this issue. Objectively speaking, SWTOR is an absolutely amazing game with loads of potential, but this single problem makes the game extremely frustrating to play. I basically "grew up" with World of Warcraft as my main source of MMO entertainment, and being able to stack my abilities and move shortly after casting has really stuck with me. It feels fluid. It feels responsive. It feels right.

I do not care if an animation is cut off. I do not care if the wrong animation plays for a fraction of a second, as is the case when moving shortly after mounting in World of Warcraft. I do not care if I end up not seeing an animation at all when abilities are cast in rapid succession. I simply do not care how this game's animations look when I'm attempting to toss off an ability at every global cooldown. As far as I know, most people don't play MMORPGs expecting solid visuals or elaborate animations. Most people play MMORPGs for the community, for the joy of constantly improving their character, and for the excitement that comes with overcoming obstacles.

If players cared about visuals - tight animations, in this case - many MMOs wouldn't be nearly as large as they are today. Games like Everquest, Ultima Online, the behemoth that is WoW, and heck even Runescape aren't exactly known for their superb graphics or animations, yet they still remain wildly popular.

Please, make the animations take a backseat in this case. Making the game feel fluid and responsive should be the number one priority. I've seen players - including myself - state time and time again that they find themselves enjoying MMOs most when they have a solid interface and just feel like everything flows smoothly.

That's just my $.02. I know the developers over at Bioware are hard at work fixing up what they can, but I hope they can at least take the time to thoroughly look into this and come up with a fully proper solution.

Edited by KodiackTech

Watch this video that Xcorp put in the OP.

In the video:

1. He casts an ability with a Cast Time(dont recall it's name) which triggers the GCD at the start of the cast.

2. Casted Spell finishes.

3. He pushes his Grenade button which triggers the GCD.

---No GCD is triggered after he pushes Grenade.

4. Now the spell from the Casted Spell finally fires(it's the pritty little sparks flying).

5. The Grenade is tossed.

In other words, He triggered TWO spells before the FIRST ONE even went off.

The animation bug is also evident in my video(which is in Xcorp's OP). The Second time I activate Ambush(first one fails for some reason and does not trigger Ambushes CD), I begin to cast Snipe immediately.

However, Snipe is cancelled by Ambushes animation the MOMENT that Ambush fires from my characters gun.

In the video I just linked above here, the animation causes ability delay. In my video, it COMPLETELY CANCELS the ability. Both are unacceptable. Animation should NEVER cause either in a properly designed game.

Yes there is a delay when the ability land ( damage) not fire. You can still fire an ability every gcd. If you cant cast an ability every gcd than you are having a different problem that what is shown in this video. The poster of this video also told me that he had no problem casting an ability every gcd.

You video seems more like a problem with IA/smuggler. See patch note 1.02

Edited by boobaffet

Hi All,

Sadly I find myself supporting this thread. I really like this game but the unresponsiveness of the Ui is a real issue. I get very frustrated at hitting backblast (Iplay scoundrel)and then having to wait for the animation and damage. I am no pvp'er but this must be a very hard environment to pvp in.Even things like getting out of aoe range is a struggle sometimes. I do notice that as the number of players in the area increases it gets worse.

I would suggest that in the initial design of the game a decision was made to do less data processing / calculations etc. On the client and more on the server in an attempt to make the game playable over as wide a range of pc. Platforms as possible. The downside to this maybe this weired "disconnected" feeling we get. Dunno just my thoughts really. But the problem is very real and frustrating.

Ez

My friend already decided to stop playing and go back to LoL because of this issue and this issue alone. He is not hardcore by any means. If he has decided to stop, I am sure many many others will also. I love this game and do not want to see it lose all these players. Do whatever needs to be done, I don't care, just fix this. That is all.