Accessibility Suggestions

JackieKo

Perhaps i should elaborate on what i meant by brighter colors, by that i mean using a brighter shade of the colors used.

I actually assumed that’s what you meant. But for me, brightness in colour (vibrancy) or light can often cause distortion or a shadowing affect through my glasses on any writing around it, which would make player names etc harder to read.

I do support what your saying though because it would definitely help my wife too. I would just ask that Bioware add scaling option so you could choose to turn them it down or even up higher if that helps more.

I actually assumed that’s what you meant. But for me, brightness in colour (vibrancy) or light can often cause distortion or a shadowing affect through my glasses on any writing around it, which would make player names etc harder to read.

I do support what your saying though because it would definitely help my wife too. I would just ask that Bioware add scaling option so you could choose to turn them it down or even up higher if that helps more.

Great to see we're on the same page

This thread is for people with physical disabilities to post their needs in. Not for people's wishlists.

For on-topicness, I could do with the captions being a bit slower in some places, because there are times when they go by so fast, I need to go into system messages to see what the heck was just said. (Given this is most noticeable when there's alien-speak going on, this is an issue for hearing people as well.)

I have noticed this with non-Basic lines sometimes. Sometimes they also go too slow. I've read them and the shot is lingering, but I can hit the Space Bar to just advance to the next line. I don't know how much they can do with lines in Basic. They seem to flow at the speed subtitles in other media do.

This is probably minor, but would be helpful for the hearing impaired who can't use voice comms but still like to do harder content than story mode:

Let us have a setting that enables target of focus target.

Currently we can have target of target enabled, but there is no way to see who our focus target is targeting.

When I am healing I usually focus target the boss to keep an eye on their health and cast bar, and being able to also see who the boss (my focus target) is targetting would save me a lot of 'catch up' time when the boss targets anyone besides the main tank.

Target of focus target would be great, not only as accessibility but as a general QoL improvement for healers and tanks.

I robbed this from another post

A return option like this would help greatly for people with hand issues. As an arthritis suffer , I've noticed as it progresses that certain things get harder, I don't send out my minions as much as I used to, as often repeating the steps over and over, cause strain on my hands, a button I could just hit, to send them back out would reduce that.

If it's from another post or thread, why not quote it and give the author credit for the idea?

This has been very frustrating. Ever since I had an RSI, I've become extremely aware of excessive clicking, and this one of those things that could be done to mitigate it.

I feel you, I’m nearly 50 and there are days I can’t play certain content because of arthritis.

One thing Bioware could add is a healing / tank / dps droid that players can turn on or off. That way if you are having trouble, you can use the droid and if you are not having trouble you keep it turned off.

The droid should be turned off by default and have a pop-up telling people they can turn it on if they are having problems. Having it on by default would be detrimental I think.

Also someone who can’t always keybind due to increasing arthritis and has to use the mouse to click the task bar sometimes :

I would ask that Bioware to decouple the “consumables” (med packs and adrenals, etc,) from the mouse over and put them back the way they used to be.

Ie when you mouse over an ability, the description pop is moveable and you can set it up anywhere on your screen. This is how the consumable pop up used to be. But now when you move your mouse over a consumable in your task bar, you get a big pop up at the end of your mouse pointer that covers other things on your task bar and you can’t see them (like timers) or position you’re mouse properly.

Please add consumables back onto the same pop up described as other task bar abilities.

I really don't agree with the droid. We already have one for story FPs. I think that's enough. For world story, companions are so OP, they can clear most mobs on their own while you unfold a chair and crack open a cold one. The game has enough hand-holding as it is. This will only result in a further degradation of player skill, and I'm not even sure how much further it could decay.

I myself would also like to see the amount of clicking required minimized by making much if not all of the UI navigable by keyboard. Things where I've picked up on excessive clicking:

[*]Abandoning/Resetting/Hiding missions in the Mission Log

[*]Selecting inventory items for Reverse Engineering/Disassembly

[*]Sending out companions on Crew Missions and Gathering Missions

[*]Selecting schematics in the Crafting Window

[*]Selecting Missions in the Mission Log/entries in the Codex

A keybind could be created that toggles UI navigation for a lot of this. Also, many of the selecting actions can only be done one at a time. Introducing selection methods we are accustomed to in our operating systems would go a long way to alleviate that, such as being able to select a bunch of missions for abandonment at once.

• 2 weeks later...

Y'all might want to pin this threaf that y'all created. I went through pages to find a post on ACCESSIBILITY because it wasnt accessible.

Allow the option to change the color of the Swoop boosts or traps, especially on Tatooine.

Allow the option to put a helper for finding the sensors in the Rhakjhoul caves.

Please install an option for easier pathing to get to datacrons.

Keep on screen text present a tad longer, I cant read the dialogue if it is going away to fast.

• 4 weeks later...

When can we expect these Accessibility changes?

Please allow us to turn off the mechanics of other players. This will allow for us to run the game better and I can actually see when to run from a particular boss mechanic, instead of being blinded by all the kolto, force and tech powers.I already have vision issues and I am trying to see when, for example, the huntsman in Nature of Progress puts a bomb on me. Speaking of vision, who in their right mind made Gods from the Machine? That's like an acid trip gone wrong with all the color.

they've started with some of them already, the gtn, the char panel (minus the stupid amps part) , etc. It'll probably take time, depending on how much work the changes take, but they seem to be going in a positive way here.

Ok

But spe4aking of visual issues, you've got Gargath, a WB. Someone who has white mechanic circles on Hoth. You cant tell it's time to run until after the mechanic goes off. Or the mobs/bosses who have a green poison cloud that blends in with the green kolto gas. Can those be changed? How about a singular color for the mechanics?

This one I know isnt an Accessibility issue for me, but how about when I get out of a enemy AOE mechanic and I am still hit by it, or in the case of the trash monster on CZ, it pulls me back in to the mechanic, regardless of the direction I take to leave it

I have a suggestion.

I play on a 1366x766 laptop monitor most of the time--and I have to have the Global UI Scale in the Interface editor set to .67 or something like that just so that the bottom of the map window isn't cut off by my screen.

However, this makes a lot of the text in various UI windows, such as the GTN window, hard to read. I can adjust the individual scale of things like the Mission Tracker so that I can read them, and adjust the font size in the chat window...

But I can't adjust the scale of the GTN window at all, and after a few minutes of browsing the GTN, my eyes start to hurt from trying to read the tiny text.

Perhaps a Global Font Scale slider/drop down menu below the Global Scale slider in the interface editor?

Not sure if I have asked this already, but along with having vision issues I have issues with my muscles and them messing with me while I give my companions gifts is no bueno. I ask that there is a give multiple gifts thing.

Ok

But spe4aking of visual issues, you've got Gargath, a WB. Someone who has white mechanic circles on Hoth. You cant tell it's time to run until after the mechanic goes off. Or the mobs/bosses who have a green poison cloud that blends in with the green kolto gas. Can those be changed? How about a singular color for the mechanics?

This one I know isnt an Accessibility issue for me, but how about when I get out of a enemy AOE mechanic and I am still hit by it, or in the case of the trash monster on CZ, it pulls me back in to the mechanic, regardless of the direction I take to leave it

They're not white, they're red, but whatever shade of red they used is too light as it blends into the snow. I have to zoom way out to and above to see if I'm in danger. That's the only instance I can recall where the indicators blend into the environment like that. I have no comment on mechanics without an AoE indicator.

Let us select the colour of cursor

Some people already asked for this option (along with changing of cursor shape), but I would like to emphasise on colour selection. Developers (not only BioWare, but any MMO or video game in general) always should solve the problem: cursor should have a good style and be clearly visible in the scene (screen). Unfortunately, in our case the choice is definitely first: we have a nice stylish cursor, but in many case it may be hardly visible/noticeable, especially during combat with a lot of cast animations around.

Where is my mouse? - typical question when you combat a lot of foes at the same time or many players attack a hard boss.

I am sure that it's possible to make a number of cursors which are different from traditional "Gold" style, much easily noticeable (also by people with some colour vision problems) and still as stylish as we have now. Some developers create the flashing or even iridescent cursor (like one in Windows), but I wouldn't select such, because we already have a lot of flashing around. A still shape, but different from the environment, would be better.

Not sure if I have asked this already, but along with having vision issues I have issues with my muscles and them messing with me while I give my companions gifts is no bueno. I ask that there is a give multiple gifts thing.

Along this same line, an easier way to unlock decorations. I have musculoskeletal issues and right-clicking repeatedly is problematic, especially with those large stacks of decorations that are given out by the anniversary vendor. I would love something like the guild interface for donating a decoration where we could just drag and drop the stack and unlock them all at once.

support this 100%,

Yeah, I am seriously considering setting up a keybind that will do the clicks for me. Like a sticky key (or button since it would be on the mouse) that will do the clicks as long as I press the button. I do not know if that would violate the no macro rule, but at this point I do not know how I will ever unlock those decorations.

Make Targeted Enemies More Visible

Please add a white outline around targeted enemies nameplates or a glow effect, so targeted enemies stand out better when grouped up. At the moment when enemies are clustered together it is so easy to lose your target & target the wrong enemy.

If my suggestion was considered & implemented, it would be really helpful for an old guy like me with bad eyes.

The feature could also be made a toggle on off option from the nameplate settings.

I made a quick mock-up below of a simple concept that I hope will help vision my suggestion.

Thanks

https://imgbox.com/BqHtCSBK

Edited by sniperzzzz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This isn't so much a feature like the rest of the suggestions in this thread, but I've noticed that the subtitles don't always reflect word-for-word what is actually being said in the voiceover. BioWare was lauded for their subtitles in KotOR. SWTOR's are a far cry from that quality. A lot of times it's just a word or two missing; sometimes it's inaccurate, which is common with fillers/utterances (umm, er, uh, etc.,) but once in a while, a whole sentence will be omitted that is in the voiceover or one will be in the subtitles that doesn't exist in the voiceover.

It's been like this at least since I started playing right before 4.0, and has probably been this way since launch. I used to send corrections but stopped when I noticed they weren't being acknowledged, and I was basically doing someone's job, as it was very laborious. I know this would be a very tedious process, but correcting these inaccuracies in subtitles should be a high priority for accommodating players with any disability that impairs their comprehension of dialogue.

• 1 month later...

I'm not entirely sure if i'm posting this in the right section but after having read some of the other stories on this post it seems like the right place:

I have OCD and i like things to be neat and in order, if i can't "Clean" things up to my liking it makes my skin crawl, literally. After having played KotFE and KotET i have gathered a ton of companions i will never use, they don't interest me and frankly, feel out of place to use.

So i wanted to make the suggestion for a way to disable companions, maybe put them in a tab that's out of the way and not so in your face.

I'm not the best with words and/or explaining things, but i hope i explained it well enough!