The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

MODDABLE "orange" quality gear ONLY for levels 1-49, very disapointed :-(

Rheemus

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they respond to a thread that's complaining about an issue they've already discussed?

I think people would just be happy with like... a dev response with a link or something to the article/post/thread/whatever containing information on how they plan to address this concern... and of all the QQ threads on this forum, I think this is one of the few legitimate ones... I dunno that's just what I think :)

Edited by Istelle

I think people would just be happy with like... a dev response with a link or something to the article/post/thread/whatever containing information on how they plan to address this concern... and of all the QQ threads on this forum, I think this is one of the few legitimate ones... I dunno that's just what I think :)

So they need to respond to each and every one of these posts with a copy and paste response?

So they need to respond to each and every one of these posts with a copy and paste response?

no, just the ones that reach nearly 50 pages with legitimate concerns. They do not need to promise anything, just state...

A) they are aware of the problem but do not intend to fix it

B) they are aware of the problem and intend to fix it at some later date

C) they just now became aware that people care about how their characters look

D) they care more about the feelings of their art team than subscriptions

no, just the ones that reach nearly 50 pages with legitimate concerns. They do not need to promise anything, just state...

A) they are aware of the problem but do not intend to fix it

B) they are aware of the problem and intend to fix it at some later date

C) they just now became aware that people care about how their characters look

D) they care more about the feelings of their art team than subscriptions

most perceived problems reach 50 pages, they would be doing nothing but that, no I would rather they work on real issues like hte bugs in the game.

Nope. Just a single post to threads that are significant, as the poster (illgot) above me stated. Or heck, maybe someone like you could be helpful too and post a link to where they said they would address it... :) instead of just stating that they addressed it.

Edited by Istelle

most perceived problems reach 50 pages, they would be doing nothing but that, no I would rather they work on real issues like hte bugs in the game.

True, a lot of inconsequential issues reach 50 pages. But any word that they notice the issue would help.

That's why they have a Community Manager, to express the companies thoughts to the players and to express the players thoughts to the company.

Nope. Just a single post to threads that are significant, as the poster (illgot) above me stated. Or heck, maybe someone like you could be helpful too and post a link to where they said they would address it... :) instead of just stating that they addressed it.

or maybe you could learn to fish for yourself.

I bet gold farmers would do this. That is why they just moved some of the nodes off of Ilum.

But don't the mods bind to you when you remove them? I know one time I removed a crystal to send it to an alt and realized it was bound. Not sure what you mean by this...

Yes, very helpful Lor. ;)

Edited by Istelle

I don't understand... if you don't want the purple gear at endgame, just stick with your moddable gear and find best-in-slot mods for that gear. Problem solved and you'll be on par with that purple endgame gear. What's the problem?

I agree with OP 100%. I love this game, but I have to say that the armor sets in TOR are the ugliest I've ever seen in an MMO.

I also love the orange gear -- more so than an a-tab actually, as it adds a crafting element -- and was ecstatic when it was announced. Now it turns out that orange gear isn't viable as end game gear in either PvP or PvE. WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT OF IT THEN?

Please use common sense BW. The whole purpose of modable gear is visual customization. Orange gear is nice when you are leveling, but you probably only spend approximately 10% of your time leveling and 90% at end game. So, under Bioware's current system I have to look like a clown for the vast majority of my character's playtime. This of course will end up with a bunch of clones running around.

Bioware still has time to fix this before the majority of players hit 50, and I certainly hope that they do so.

Edited by DocVandar

What's the problem?

Moddable gear doesn't provide set bonuses.

They need to tie set bonuses to mods and then let us rip out mods from L50 purple gear.

Or let us spend those same tokens on purple mod sets in addition to the gear.

I don't understand... if you don't want the purple gear at endgame, just stick with your moddable gear and find best-in-slot mods for that gear. Problem solved and you'll be on par with that purple endgame gear. What's the problem?

Based on what I've skimmed over, the main issue is that Orange gear with BIS mods are still not as good as purple gear obtained through ops.. all about the optimization :)

Moddable gear doesn't provide set bonuses.

They need to tie set bonuses to mods and then let us rip out mods from L50 purple gear.

Or let us spend those same tokens on purple mod sets in addition to the gear.

Ah ha, that makes sense. That would explain the frustration. :)

The stats are inferior and the modable gear doesn't contain the expertise for PvP.

Edited by DocVandar

Based on what I've skimmed over, the main issue is that Orange gear with BIS mods are still not as good as purple gear obtained through ops.. all about the optimization :)

It basically boils down to whether you can be 100% optimized and where exactly what you want. My personal opinion is that you can be totally competitive and viable in modded gear of your choosing and that meets my satisfaction.

You can gain your full set bonuses by making some visual concessions outside of your robe/chest with a hidden head slot, boots, gloves and pants from the set. That leaves the question of whether BIS mods in orange gear that is specifically tuned to your build is comparable to in effectiveness to off-the-rack purples from the sets. Some are saying that the endgames purples have stats beyond what purple mods would grant to orange gear but, I could absolutely imagine cases where a specific build might be better off with custom statted gear.

It basically boils down to whether you can be 100% optimized and where exactly what you want. My personal opinion is that you can be totally competitive and viable in modded gear of your choosing and that meets my satisfaction.

You can gain your full set bonuses by making some visual concessions outside of your robe/chest with a hidden head slot, boots, gloves and pants from the set. That leaves the question of whether BIS mods in orange gear that is specifically tuned to your build is comparable to in effectiveness to off-the-rack purples from the sets. Some are saying that the endgames purples have stats beyond what purple mods would grant to orange gear but, I could absolutely imagine cases where a specific build might be better off with custom statted gear.

Ya I was wondering about that too... I just hope that eventually something works out so that you can either wear purple gear if you like it, or orange gear... and not have to stress over optimization too much.. D: cuz I wanna wear pants! hehe :)

Yes because then you have to code almost all the other universal mods to be item specific.

No, they don't HAVE to. They can leave the 1-49 mods as some generic armoring mod type that works in any armoring slot, just as it does now, while adding new slot restrictions only to the end game mods. Now, best of all worlds. Lower level mods remain simple and avoid item duplication while end game mods are fixed to prevent the farming issue.

And no BS about how hard it might be to implement; any dev who claims so is lying or incompetent. The only thing that makes changes to the item system difficult are data classification issues (ie if they did not currently discern between chest and leg items, this would be a data nightmare to have to update every item in the game with a new data attribute). In this case, gear is already classified with the necessary info so this doesnt apply.

Honestly, the argument over whether an appearance tab is immersion breaking or not is completely irrelevant. We don't really care what they call it or how they implement it or make it fit with the game lore (though for the record, the concept of moddable gear slots very nicely with the theme of the game, but that doesn't actually matter here).

What DOES matter are two functional requirements: the ability to customize your appearance and the ability to customize your stats.

As it stands now, the modding system is insufficient for either at end game, especially for PvP'ers.

WoW treats these as two separate issues and then resolves one with stat reforging and the other with appearance transmogrification. Great, whatever, TOR is a different game and for better or worse, they have rolled it into one system and called it moddable gear. The modding system COULD provide both functional requirements if the issues identified in this thread are fixed.

Or they could throw it out entirely and copy WoW point for point and have an appearance tab and a stat reforger. Really, I don't think anyone here cares which route they pick or what they ultimately call it, but for the sake of trying to work WITH the designers (who already railed against appearance tabs in favor of the orange modding system we have now), we are trying to point out issues and make suggestions that will accomplish the stated functional needs in as few steps as possible from the system in place right now.

It took WoW devs 6 years to get on board with an appearance tab, so I'm not sure why anyone would be holding their breath for one here. Instead of suggesting sweeping mechanics changes that involve scrapping an existing system and replacing it entirely, I'd rather try to make constructive suggestions for improving the system the devs have already bought into internally, since that is far more likely to result in us getting the functionality we'd like to see.

I'm interested if they let me mod my gear to be invisible.... I want to PVP neked...

Any, it's silly to be forced to use the default skins. As for the being cheap and pulling mods out of boots vs buying the chest or looting the chest as a pre50?

I have yet to see anything that lets me take the mods out of a item for free... So, if you want to give me a cool item with the proper stats.. I promise not to buy other cheaper items, just to pay the game more money to pull the mods out.