Implement option to re-do the story line?

SOULCASTER

Just thinking out loud, instead of making new characters over and over to see the story again (which while fun mind you), maybe allow for whats considered a prestige, and allow the ability to redo the story arch from scratch, without losing your level or titles. Just for the sake of enjoying your original characters without having to shelve them to start an entirely new one.

Just a fun idea to discuss.

It’s called rerolling another Alt ;)

^This.

It took the devs long enough to play whack-a-mole with the code to get assignment of comps right for story choices in Kotet/Kotfe (who lived, who died, who you got, who we could get off the terminal). Lord knows what would get screwed up if they tried to code some sort of re-assignment system based on a second pass through the story on the same toon.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I could see something like this for planet-side storylines, just not character-side...

I'm fairly certain there's no journaling on the server of our DL choices on any quest. Our choices just heap dark or light side points onto the score.

Therefore, let's say you run through the Tython quest where you have to rescue the Twi'Lek boy from the force-sensitive flesh raider. Ordinarily, you have your choice of

Tossing the fleshraider off the cliff (dark side)

or

Informing a master back at the temple that a fleshraider wants to be a Jedi (light side)

So let's say you made the light choice first. On top of the heap goes the light side points.

Next time around, you replay the quest, and you choose dark side. On top of the heap goes the dark side points.

Should the game somehow remember to remove the points from last time, whichever was applied, before applying the new points? Light and dark do not subtract from each other until one hits max points on one side or the other.

So you could basically get practically the way to BOTH light and dark sitting there all day running that quest over and over again, light and dark.

Better if the game somehow knew to readjust your points as a "do-over" as opposed to just tossing more L-D points around.

Which brings up another question, should there be a limit to how many times a quest can be re-run?

Edited by xordevoreaux

Malora's reintroduction suggests they do keep track of the LS/DS choices for non-class missions.

I seriously doubt there's somewhere in the database where every increase of dark or light points is associated with where that increase came from, is my point, meaning a true re-do of a previously completed quest isn't possible.

Also, how does level affect the awarding of dark and light side points? Does a level 75 doing the fleshraider example I gave receive more DL points than a level 10?

If so, that would pose an imbalance. The points acquired at level 10 would be overcompensated for by repeating the quest at 75.

I seriously doubt there's somewhere in the database where every increase of dark or light points is associated with where that increase came from, is my point, meaning a true re-do of a previously completed quest isn't possible.

ok but literally if you did the quest, malora will remember you on Ossus and if you didn't she won't. You the PC will remember if it was LS or DS. So forget what I said about "suggests", it is objectively a fact that the game must remember LS/DS choices even if you made that choice 5 years ago.

IDC about OP's plight anyway, as others said, just reroll the char.

Edited by Ardrossan

I'm fairly certain there's no journaling on the server of our DL choices on any quest. Our choices just heap dark or light side points onto the score.

There has to be something, or otherwise the characters we meet during that cutscene for Nathema Conspiracy would not recognize the choices the player has made.

Now, if you are referring to all the side missions, or going through say veteran Hammer Station, which have L/D choices then you are probably right. But a player's story-playthrough of, say "Jedi Prisoner" saves those choices, even despite the fact that other flashpoints do not.

EDIT: And yes, Ardrossan is right about Darth Malora, which isn't a main class story quest, so something is being recorded.

Edited by phalczen

There has to be something, or otherwise the characters we meet during that cutscene for Nathema Conspiracy would not recognize the choices the player has made.

Now, if you are referring to all the side missions, or going through say veteran Hammer Station, which have L/D choices then you are probably right. But a player's story-playthrough of, say "Jedi Prisoner" saves those choices, even despite the fact that other flashpoints do not.

EDIT: And yes, Ardrossan is right about Darth Malora, which isn't a main class story quest, so something is being recorded.

Tell me that the DL points you receive in class stories up through chapter 3 are tracked. They're not. Choices are absolutely inconsequential up to then, and the points are just an accumulation, not logged against anything we've done. Redoing something like the Fleshraider quest, or anything else beyond that in the classic story, will totally mess with DL points.

This is the number one feature I would like to see in the game. Making new alts isn't really the same.

Not sure what all the fuss is about dark/light points. Just make it so that you only receive points the first time through.

Tell me that the DL points you receive in class stories up through chapter 3 are tracked. They're not. Choices are absolutely inconsequential up to then, and the points are just an accumulation, not logged against anything we've done. Redoing something like the Fleshraider quest, or anything else beyond that in the classic story, will totally mess with DL points.

Malora comes from an exploration side mission on Korriban that not even everyone that levels there knows exists at all, much less completes. And she definitely remembers your choice on Ossus, and Sith get special dialogue options because of it.

It's a dark/light choice. You're demonstrably wrong about choices not being tracked. You may be right that the points are tracked independently of the choices, but who cares? It's the choice that matters. Dark/Light points fall like rain now, from literally everything you do, based on your toggle. No one cares about hoarding them any more.

This may or may not be a good idea, but I think it would never happen anyway.

- it's easy enough to make an alt and redo the story.

- re-doing the stories would have to be like re-doing KOTFE/ET where no new decisions change anything.

- such a thing would probably result in any number of glitches, lost equipment, lost titles, etc, etc, creating more work for CS.

Given the above, there's little incentive for BW to spend time and money trying to implement such a relatively minor thing when there are so many other things to worry about.

I could understand wanting this as a feature if the leveling was like it was at launch and it took FOREVER to get up to level to finish the story, but since I can be close to/in the 20's by the time I leave the starter planet and in the 30's/40's after the capital world, adding this feature is just a waste of time and resources.

Not to mention with the collection and outfit system, with a handful of exceptions, we don't really have the problem of "this character already has (insert name) armor and I REALLY like it but don't want to have to wait to re-earn it."

It’s called rerolling another Alt ;)

Well, the first 4 responses to this thread didnt even read the original post. I’m not talking about making 6 sages just because you can and it’s fast or easy, this is more talking about being able to play your main sage, and maybe feel like going back and re-doing the story through your main character just for the fun.

The other downside to making infinite re-roll alts is of course things like character names, dye kits and outfits, etc. Plus maybe people want to re-do the story on their main character with new companions, and not just re-roll and do it with the original vanilla companions.

But i post these for fun discussion really.

Edited by SOULCASTER

I've often wished that I could replay my main's story. I would be fine with not being able to actually change how the story ends and how it impacts future content. I just want to experience her story again. Much like it is if you replay kotfe/kotet chapters. The original choices are not rewritten and moving forward those are the choices that inform your character's progression. It would just be nice to replay some of the story elements.

I mean, I'd even be happy with being able to replay the cutscenes. I can see how having a bunch of lvl capped characters going for the same objectives as the people progressing through for the first time could cause some problems.

There actually is a game immersion reason for wanting this. After each expansion, once you complete it, you run out of chances to hear or see your characters speak and make dialogue choices. I remember on my very first playthrough, once finishing SoR/Ziost I was actually a little sad about this, and more or less wanted more of my main's story. I actually liked KotFE when it came out, on-rails slogfest that it was, simply because it felt like my main had agency to say and do things related to the story again.

Outside of the quest system there are few chances for this (flashpoint terminals, some but not all dailies, etc). Once you've done them all over and over, you can get to the point where just just want more story with your main character driving it. And this would solve that.

I have dozens (literally) of alts, but it's not the same.

Edited by stoopicus

There actually is a game immersion reason for wanting this. After each expansion, once you complete it, you run out of chances to hear or see your characters speak and make dialogue choices. I remember on my very first playthrough, once finishing SoR/Ziost I was actually a little sad about this, and more or less wanted more of my main's story. I actually liked KotFE when it came out, on-rails slogfest that it was, simply because it felt like my main had agency to say and do things related to the story again.

Outside of the quest system there are few chances for this (flashpoint terminals, some but not all dailies, etc). Once you've done them all over and over, you can get to the point where just just want more story with your main character driving it. And this would solve that.

I have dozens (literally) of alts, but it's not the same.

Yep, it's absolutely this. Once you finish story content your main just doesn't feel present. You miss them in a way.

The other downside to making infinite re-roll alts is of course things like character names, dye kits and outfits, etc. Plus maybe people want to re-do the story on their main character with new companions, and not just re-roll and do it with the original vanilla companions.

- there would be no need to make any more than one alt really. You could make an alt and delete it afterwards.

- you would therefore, only need to come up with one new name, which could be just a alternate spelling of the original name, or the original name with a " ' " (apostrophe) stuck in it somewhere.

- you could essentially make an alt that is a clone of your original character. You could even wear the same armor (outfit), if it's in collections.

- you may also have access to 'some' additional companions such as Shae Vizla, etc, if you have gotten them as sub rewards, etc.

- just go easy on the expensive dyes, etc, if you're going to delete the character afterwards. Make sure the character doesn't have any exclusive items, like non-collection speeders, etc, before you delete it. 🤔

In any case, at this time your only option is to make a clone. 🙂

Edited by JediQuaker

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.