Is SWTOR dying?

lukeisjedi

Oh lord not another of these!

I doubt that Steam and Bioware would have entered into a contract which must involve some finances going to and fro for a game on its last legs. Even before the Steam launch there was a steady flow of new people - then it was a deluge.

Oh lord not another of these!

I doubt that Steam and Bioware would have entered into a contract which must involve some finances going to and fro for a game on its last legs. Even before the Steam launch there was a steady flow of new people - then it was a deluge.

Good point. I guess I just let the negativity of some get to me.

I honestly don't think it's in great shape though. We've gone from monthly chappter story drops to barely any at all in the past couple of years, maybe a chapters worth per year. That's a huge drop off in content.

I honestly don't think it's in great shape though. We've gone from monthly chappter story drops to barely any at all in the past couple of years, maybe a chapters worth per year. That's a huge drop off in content.

well, covid 19 sir?

well, covid 19 sir?

That alone don´t explain everything...

This slowdown has been an ongoing problem for years now...

But last year and this year, has gone from bad to very worse...

The content is allmost none existent... Its impossible to keep any paid subscription when you don´t have any new content for months on end...

I for one have stoped my subscription until some kind of roadmap and real content is implemented...

So yeah... to me SWTOR is dying... and it will die faster if the developers don´t do something about it...

Best Regards,

LPC

Hope I get to legendary before it shuts down. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Thoughts?
Problem is in "not see that happening soon", not in swtor would shut down soon. Even at a rate of one class per week, that take at most 2 months, well before the current "holiday 2020" timeline we have.

Problem is in "not see that happening soon", not in swtor would shut down soon. Even at a rate of one class per week, that take at most 2 months, well before the current "holiday 2020" timeline we have.

I dont have the free time to go that fast. I have a family and work I have to juggle. I get at most 2 hours a day.

If your game is dying you don't go through the effort of opening on a new platform.

Covid19 gave a huge cash flow to the gaming industry and as far as I get it, the slow pace of content is older then april 2020.

More cash doesn't mean much when a global pandemic is happening and you need several dozen voice actors (in at least three different countries) to find their way into a recording booth.

Edited by jedimasterjac

In early June, shortly after things things became very exciting in the US (for someone who doesn't live there), I bought a game bundle with 1000 indie games on it through this virtue-signalling site. $5...1000 games. Now, you might turn your nose up at many of these games, fair enough. Through Steam summer sales, I also have around 20 games that I have never played, including Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate II, Deus Ex, Fallouts 1-3 and so on. Just sitting there.

IRL, I'm a grad student, and I work a couple part-time jobs. Oh, I also have several dozen recommended tv shows to go through (Our Boys? Messiah? Agents of SHIELD?) as well as a few classics (SG1, Fringe, Carnivale). And pandemic aside (it's not so bad outside the US) I have friends and a social life and exercising and new books and....

So, I rarely ask myself the question that OP asks, and which comes up on this forum 50 times a year. "Is the game dying?" As others have noted, the question has been asked since beta ffs. But if the game ended in Jan 2021, that would be okay. I would be sad but not devastated because, you know, I don't depend on this game for my sole source of entertainment. I feel bad for players on this forum [presumably there's a lot of them] who have no life beyond swtor.

Well. I guess I don't feel that bad. :rak_03:

Edited by Ardrossan

I think they are planning more story content drops more regularly. COVID delayed plans. I think it still has several years left. Hopefully at least three or so.

I dont have the free time to go that fast. I have a family and work I have to juggle. I get at most 2 hours a day.

At 15-20 hours per class that's roughly on par.

It will be faster with later playthroughs, as you know the game (like how to use Quick Travel to skip running back), and can skip the planet stories and focus on class.

Also helps a lot if you play a stealth class instead of non-stealth adv classes. Will be listening to the expensive voice acting most of the time during play.

I challenge you all to play any pug content at low pop times and you’ll see the real state of the player population.

The game is supposed to be a global game. But with the closure of APAC servers and west coast servers, it’s drastically reduced the playability of the game for people from the west coast of the US to the far reaches of Eastern Europe.

While people in the western US can still play the game with reasonable ping, many decided it just wasn’t worth it and left the game, and the majority of the APAC, SEA and Central Asia just gave up. This has drastically reduced online populations outside of the EU primetime and east coast primetimes. And while there is still a west coast primetime, it is drastically reduced in length because of the loss of all those APAC+ players who abandoned the game when the server was moved to the east coast.

But if you play during the EU primetime or East coast primetime, you will experince what looks to be a full, healthy and vibrant game. It’s only when you walk in the other time zones shoes that you realise how much this game has diminished in population.

So is swtor dying? I think the question is bias and is going to be different depending on what demographic you speak too,

If you are an American continent player or western/Central European player, you will probably say the game is fine and not dying. And you would be right for your demographic and time zone. But ask anyone outside of those demographics and you will get stories of long queues or dead fleets and areas.

The one thing no one can argue is the facts that the game now has 5 servers and 2 or those are there for language reasons only. Otherwise there would probably only be 3 servers and not 5. That alone shows there are much less players than there once was.

I would argue the games not dying fast. But old age is catching up to it and Bioware is slow to keep it relevant or fix problems (if ever). They more often than not, make poor policy and design changes that negatively affected player fun and therefore retention. They are slow to engage the community or back peddle if they make a blunder (never seen them admit a mistake). Bioware would rather double down on mistakes and drive more players away than admit they F’d up and engage the players and try and fix things in a timely manner or even bloody communicate with us.

They game is declining and Bioware too often then not seem to want to hurry it along to the nursing home,

Edited by TrixxieTriss

They are already talking about the 10 year anniversary which is December 2021 and so the game isn't going to be shut down before then and not soon after. That gives you at least a couple more years. And as long as we keep spending cash on this game there's no reason for them to shut it down.

They are already talking about the 10 year anniversary which is December 2021 and so the game isn't going to be shut down before then and not soon after. That gives you at least a couple more years. And as long as we keep spending cash on this game there's no reason for them to shut it down.

The question here is... There is any reason for subscribing onto the game?

I would just go F2P until cap, then subscribe for 1 month, and do the rest of the content onto that time...

The Expansions will be open even if you go then prefered... so in the end no motive to keep subscribed...

I have done it now... and i will not give then ANY MORE Money until they move forward...

They don´t care about Subs, and im starting to wonder if they even care about this game anymore...

the signs are on the wall...

Best Regards,

LPC

I challenge you all to play any pug content at low pop times and you’ll see the real state of the player population.

Trix, I can understand your frustration with connecting from Australia, but, come on, this doesn't make much sense. 🤔

It's similar to saying "football may look popular, but visit the stadium in the middle of winter and no one's there."

I mean, sure yeah, you play pug content at "low population times" and there's um ... "low population". Duh.

The more important thing for the health of the game is how many players are playing at high population times.

You could solve your SWTOR problems by moving to Canada. I have a better ping to the servers than many Americans. 😀

Stay safe. 😍

Edited by JediQuaker

^ this

I think they are planning more story content drops more regularly. COVID delayed plans. I think it still has several years left. Hopefully at least three or so.
- don' make me laugh. On 2019 we had only Onslaught and little Dantooine event. There was covid on 2019? no.

When there was 5.0 we had chapters and other stuffs around this once per month! Now we have like that once per YEAR. That's the difference.

~ Tsukito, Alliance Commander

Trix, I can understand your frustration with connecting from Australia, but, come on, this doesn't make much sense. 🤔

It's similar to saying "football may look popular, but visit the stadium in the middle of winter and no one's there."

I mean, sure yeah, you play pug content at "low population times" and there's um ... "low population". Duh.

The more important thing for the health of the game is how many players are playing at high population times.

You could solve your SWTOR problems by moving to Canada. I have a better ping to the servers than many Americans. 😀

Stay safe. 😍

Too much covid ;)

What’s a bug fix?

And the steam launch...we won't have a stable picture for a while. But we can hope it stays high, and doesn't revert.

What’s a bug fix?

I heard a rumour once that some god came down from mount impossible every now and then and fixed things in our virtual world, but people became fickle, and started worshipping others, so he gave us the middle finger and left.....sad times :(

^ this

- don' make me laugh. On 2019 we had only Onslaught and little Dantooine event. There was covid on 2019? no.

When there was 5.0 we had chapters and other stuffs around this once per month! Now we have like that once per YEAR. That's the difference.

~ Tsukito, Alliance Commander[/quote

True but we were getting two content updates this year and now both are going to be in one update so there's that . They are likely saving the big updates for next year. The updates are slowing down but not stoppin and yes COVID DID delay what we were getting this year.