SWTOR Steam?

thefateoff

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a HUGE Steam fanboy (hey i love all my games on the same launcher)

is there any weight to the rumors that SWTOR is coming to Steam sometime this year (or next?)

Well, I've heard players found steam_api.dll file in the game directory. And, indeed, you can find it in *your swtor folder* -> swtor -> retailclient. I bet there's something behind this ;)

Edited by simimuss

Well, I've heard players found steam_api.dll file in the game directory. And, indeed, you can find it in *your swtor folder* -> swtor -> retailclient. I bet there's something behind this ;)

could be an indication that they are posiitive they are going to get the license renewed also. Might also be an indication they are going to start putting in more resourcess, etc. Can't imagine they'd go to the effort if the game was shutting down on year 10.

I don't have it in my SWTOR folder, swtor retailclient have bunch of DLLs and ini files but no steam api DLL,

am I missing something?

Oh my god! There it is! sorry I have two SWTOR folders and I went into the wrong one. Yes there is literally steam api DLL under that folder. Thats a good sign in my opinion, but I think alot of people will leave negative reviews due to free to play rules since Steam Reviews are usually trolls,jokes memes etc so VETERANS OF SWTOR COMMUNITY, prepare your POSITIVE reviews! Do not let angry children ruin this game's reputation on Steam!

Notice that its named "steam_api", not "steam_api64" so I guess thats related to the game exe and its engine.

Since EA returned to the Steam Store recently, with more EA games coming to the Steam store including FIFA and more and Origin Access, my only guess SWTOR also may coming to Steam in future. I remember someone on swtor stream some time ago mentioned that,

In any case this is a good sign and they may already agreed to renew/refresh the SW license, so swtor is not dying anytime soon, YES

I don't have it in my SWTOR folder, swtor retailclient have bunch of DLLs and ini files but no steam api DLL,

am I missing something?

i have it in mine.

C > Program Files (x86) > Electronic Arts > Bioware > Star Wars: The Old Republic > swtor > Retailclient

Steam_api.dll

Right above my swtor launcher icon.

not sure if it's the same for everyone.

i have it in mine.

C > Program Files (x86) > Electronic Arts > Bioware > Star Wars: The Old Republic > swtor > Retailclient

Steam_api.dll

Right above my swtor launcher icon.

not sure if it's the same for everyone.

I have it too! Its under swtor>retailclient, I just have two SWTOR folders so I looked into the wrong one

could be an indication that they are posiitive they are going to get the license renewed also. Might also be an indication they are going to start putting in more resourcess, etc. Can't imagine they'd go to the effort if the game was shutting down on year 10.

They have plans about 3 years ahead, which suggests to me they have no indication year 10 is going to be the death knell.

They have plans about 3 years ahead, which suggests to me they have no indication year 10 is going to be the death knell.

Welll ... yes ... and no!

We have no real idea exactly where things have actually progressed. (aside from all of the recent bug issues) .

IMO ... the "steam" would not have been loaded without other "plans" having already progressed.

I would not be surprised if there not even such things as a new class in the mix as well.

I wonder how a Mandalorian would fit into all of this ?

Speculation is so much fun !

:D

;)

Please excuse my ignorant self, but I don't really know how SWTOR would benefit from going to steam. I mean it's already f2p. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't know that much about the steam launcher. Can someone tell me what it's impact on SWTOR could be? Edited by AFadedMemory

Please excuse my ignorant self, but I don't really know how SWTOR would benefit from going to steam. I mean it's already f2p. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't know that much about the steam launcher. Can someone tell me what it's impact on SWTOR could be?

TBH, I don't know, but I can guess that it might expose it to more people, open more avenues, etc. Plus, they might have deals, when they have their sales, etc.

TBH, I don't know, but I can guess that it might expose it to more people, open more avenues, etc. Plus, they might have deals, when they have their sales, etc.

Yeah ... TBH that is about as much as anyone could "squeeze" out of this... I was Just throwing my own fun into the mix !

I personally wouldn't read much more into it than that for the time being. IF (and only IF) there was anything in the mix it would all be so tight under wraps no one would be able to say anything (for certain) until the agreed / appointed time.

Most fangirls on Steam like to leave negative reviews for stupid reasons, so all of us need to (if SWTOR comes to Steam) should leave informed reviews for the game.

About the toxic chat on dk or fleet. Or even nowadays the toxic chat in other places. Ranked PvP which is floating around the toilet at the moment, numerous amount of bugs, events half assed organised, buggy, and complaints ignored. Management who don't want to listen to long time subscribers, etc, etc etc, ...Yes, I can see that playing really well

People can leave negative responses for very good reasons, but some people say it's stupid reasons, because it doesn't effect them, or they don't see it.

/shrug

Most fangirls on Steam like to leave negative reviews for stupid reasons, so all of us need to (if SWTOR comes to Steam) should leave informed reviews for the game.

If we want to give swtor a positive rating on steam, the reviews ought to be as uninformed as possible. Ideally the reviews should be based on player experiences circa 2015.

Please excuse my ignorant self, but I don't really know how SWTOR would benefit from going to steam. I mean it's already f2p. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't know that much about the steam launcher. Can someone tell me what it's impact on SWTOR could be?

Many new players. There're many MMO that hit on steam and get second life. For sure SWTOR would get many new players. People would at least try it. Many of them don't even know that SWTOR exist.

Edited by tummiswtor

Many new players. There're many MMO that hit on steam and get second life. For sure SWTOR would get many new players. People would at least try it. Many of them don't even know that SWTOR exist.

Been a while since I've used steam, what MMO's do they have now, and do they do sales on game time?

Look at Sea of Thieves, no one was playing it on Xbox/Windows Store, they bring it to Steam, BANG!, inside the top 20.

Steam can give a game a second life (or rejuvenate an ailing game)

Plus Steam Achievements, Steam Trading cards, Steam backgrounds/emotes. So many things could be added to get the casual player to at least TRY the game out.

Yeah I've noticed the file too and am wondering if they're planning to release it on steam... considering how a lot of EA games are coming over to steam.

I'd say this is probably the matter in a nut shell.

As for the benefits ?? I'm certain it will help. Just have no idea of just exactly how. Time will tell I'm certain.

If I had to guess ... I'd say that it would simply be a way of making it more accessible to a larger audience without a lot of additional fees in advertising... WHICH .. IF that is the case: Good move !!