Make open world PvP attractiv again! (Achievments)

Derkecksdieler

Nowadays it's nearly impossible to get all pvp-achievements by yourself. Pretty much no one walks around in the pvp instances. The only way is to find someone, who gets himself killed over and over again. This is not how it is supposed to be and makes zero fun. I guess it would be cool for all of us, when, for example, the old system returns where you can mark yourself to pvp in the pve-instances or lower the necessary kills for the achievements.(Just a few examples)

Thanks

Derkeksdieler

This has been brought up in many forms. This is a PvE game, with PvP as a side bit, the fact the PvP zones are so empty shows that. There is nothing the devs can do to change that. It is up to the community itself to do this, by organisiing events, etc. One of the major headaches is the lag that accours when multiple players start a pvp battle. Also getting people together at the same time can also be a lot of hassle. The best way to get this going, is to ask in guild, especially if you have a large guild, which has one on both sides, and see about organsing something. I'm not a PvP'er, but i did enjoy some of the events they used to have. But as I said, most of those events were organised by people or guilds.

I love the idea of open world pvp.My first mmo was played on its open world PvP server. At the time I didn't even know what I was getting into but I eventually came to like it a lot. The only real issue with open world PvP is that some folks have serious issues and believe that their pixelated body counts actually mean something in real life. Edited by JYthelifesaver

• 3 weeks later...

There isn't enough incentive to gather at open world PvP. When I travel to the Tatooine's open world PvP area; Outlaw's Den noone is there, ever.

I do think alot of players would like open world PvP. When a open world PvP battle breaks out, a message at fleet usually attracts alot of players. Pure PvE players should be able to opt out of being targetted.

The devs need to create extra incentive to want to gather at open world PvP area's. They could do this for example by creating dailies or introduce timeslots in which you can get extra <insertsomethingwelike> if you join the fight. A PvP event changing location and planet from time to time so we know where the action will be.

When people know where the action is and there is incentive to join I could see this work.

Not taking into account the lag you run into when huge numbers of people gather around one area, which is probably the reason why the devs have not created such incentive.

So if you want to complete these achievements, join guild or group events where players either PvP for real or sacrifice themselfs x number of times while stripped of gear and mindlessly running into AoE fire while moving 1 pixel per second. :D

Edited by DKEVINZ

I do think alot of players would like open world PvP. When a open world PvP battle breaks out, a message at fleet usually attracts alot of players. Pure PvE players should be able to opt out of being targetted.

The emptiness of the PvP instances speaks against this. Well, except for the opt-out part. The key thing there is that the opt-out must be 150% effective. It mustn't be possible, as it once was, to AoE open-world foes and become PvP tagged because there was a stealther in there.

The problem isn't, as such, the question of big OWPvP battles so much as it is the number of gangs of open world gankers that would show up.

The devs need to create extra incentive to want to gather at open world PvP area's. They could do this for example by creating dailies or introduce timeslots in which you can get extra <insertsomethingwelike> if you join the fight. A PvP event changing location and planet from time to time so we know where the action will be.

If people aren't having fun doing it *anyway*, adding incentives will be like when they added exotic crafting materials as rewards for ranked warzones (and not readily available elsewhere). (They became instantly full of people who didn't want to be there, but wanted even less to pay robber's fees on the GTN for the mats. The level of squawk on the forums - from actual Warzoners - about that was substantial.)

Also, what sort of thing do you propose for "<insertsomethingwelike>"?

When people know where the action is and there is incentive to join I could see this work.

You're assuming that people want to be there, but won't do it without the incentive, which seems a strange population of players to target. It's more likely that it would be full of people who are there *only* for the incentives.

Not taking into account the lag you run into when huge numbers of people gather around one area, which is probably the reason why the devs have not created such incentive.

It's probably only *a* reason, not *the* reason. Did you see the level of hostility in the recent suggestion about friendly fire?

So if you want to complete these achievements, join guild or group events where players either PvP for real or sacrifice themselfs x number of times while stripped of gear and mindlessly running into AoE fire while moving 1 pixel per second. :D

OK, and what's *wrong* with that, exactly?

I raised this issue a few days ago. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9854178#post9854178 from a slightly different approach.

I do like the idea of reorganizing world pvp. I kinda 'grew up' on a WoW PvP-server in 2008 :rolleyes:. But it would need some popular incentive to attract larger crowds, sufficient enough to believe you can actually fun-farm for the achievement. Like some open world event system, accessable via groupfinder, leading to titles, gear, XP, whatever.

And this can also be combined with relocating the planetary pvp-goals to the pvp section.:cool:

I raised this issue a few days ago. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9854178#post9854178 from a slightly different approach.

I do like the idea of reorganizing world pvp. I kinda 'grew up' on a WoW PvP-server in 2008 :rolleyes:. But it would need some popular incentive to attract larger crowds, sufficient enough to believe you can actually fun-farm for the achievement. Like some open world event system, accessable via groupfinder, leading to titles, gear, XP, whatever.

And this can also be combined with relocating the planetary pvp-goals to the pvp section.:cool:

These systems don't lead to fun wpvp. They lead to roving bands of gankers who camp populated areas, kill everyone, get their "incentive," and proceed to never wpvp again.

If those populated area's choose to be pvp flagged, i'd think those possible gang rampages would be fun :)

But with 'world event' i didn't mean switching a pve-world into pvp-mode ofc.

Yes, but you can have you're flagged changed by accident, just like it used to be, you go to kill some mob (AOE), an opposing player jumps in the way, or gets caught by accident, you're flagged. Or you targetting an enemiy, and it dies, but you pressed the fire button once to often, nd enemy player is close, and auto targets hits them, boom, flagged. If people wanted PVP open world, the pvp instances would be fuller, guilds would organise more events, etc. With the limitations on this engine, I don't think it's viable.

Yes, but you can have you're flagged changed by accident, just like it used to be, you go to kill some mob (AOE), an opposing player jumps in the way, or gets caught by accident, you're flagged. Or you targetting an enemiy, and it dies, but you pressed the fire button once to often, nd enemy player is close, and auto targets hits them, boom, flagged. If people wanted PVP open world, the pvp instances would be fuller, guilds would organise more events, etc. With the limitations on this engine, I don't think it's viable.

Wintergrasp in WoW, during WotLK (2008-ish) was a pretty succesfull PvP event in a non-instanced area on the Northrend continent, that happened - i think - every 1 or 2 hours, also on PvE-servers. You had a 15 minutes timer before the battle started if you were PvE farming there and a 'raid warning' if you accidently logged in during a fight. Over time, it became obsolete since it was tied to the WotLK context and gear. I'm not suggesting it as a blueprint (it had it's issues), but as a fair example of soft core organized world PvP, with incentives for both PvE and PvP-players.

Still easier though to move the planetary PvP-goals to ... the PvP goals.

*Edit: I just got informed that Wintergrasp has returned as a 40vs40 instanced Battleground in BFA (2019).

Edited by Ludustonalis

Could take the warcraft approach and give x% increase to exp and renown while in a pvp instance. That would provide a long term incentive to be there, and if you don't want to be in a pvp instance then you don't have to. Nothing gained or lost if you are a pve player, things would just continue on as normal. Edited by ironkevin

Could take the warcraft approach and give x% increase to exp and renown while in a pvp instance. That would provide a long term incentive to be there, and if you don't want to be in a pvp instance then you don't have to. Nothing gained or lost if you are a pve player, things would just continue on as normal.

No it wouldn't. You would just get PvE players there for the rewards that would just /stuck it if attacked. That would not get others to actually do Open world PvP.

Open world PvP has been dead in this game since long before they implemented the various instances. Remember how absolutely dead all of the PvP servers were during the DvL event. I leveled up characters on each of the PvP servers and not once saw anyone on any planet. People need to just realize the playerbase of this game has spoken and it simply has no interest in Open World PvP.

Edited by Toraak

No it wouldn't. You would just get PvE players there for the rewards that would just /stuck it if attacked. That would not get others to actually do Open world PvP.

Open world PvP has been dead in this game since long before they implemented the various instances. Remember how absolutely dead all of the PvP servers were during the DvL event. I leveled up characters on each of the PvP servers and not once saw anyone on any planet. People need to just realize the playerbase of this game has spoken and it simply has no interest in Open World PvP.

Pretty sure the reason world pvp was dead on release was because there wasn't any reward. Currently if you want to pvp you can do WZs or world pvp. WZs give rewards(lock boxes, tech frags, weekly/daily mission rewards), and open world pvp gives you nothing. So why would a pvper spend their time pvping in the open world when WZs allow them to pvp AND be rewarded with in game progression?

World pvp isn't dead because its not fun, its dead because there is an alternative that actually rewards you. Pretty sure people wouldn't do FPs if they gave zero rewards(loot,trophies,daily/week missions, ect.). As much fun as something can be people still gravitate towards things that reward them with a sense of progression/rewards. Adding an exp boost in a pvp instance wouldn't inspire pvp, but it would help fill the instances and in no way be mandatory to play the game. Not a complete fix for the issue, but a start. Additionally they can have daily/weekly missions to kill people in the open world, have players drop tech frags or other loot, ect.

Pretty sure the reason world pvp was dead on release was because there wasn't any reward. Currently if you want to pvp you can do WZs or world pvp. WZs give rewards(lock boxes, tech frags, weekly/daily mission rewards), and open world pvp gives you nothing. So why would a pvper spend their time pvping in the open world when WZs allow them to pvp AND be rewarded with in game progression?

World pvp isn't dead because its not fun, its dead because there is an alternative that actually rewards you. Pretty sure people wouldn't do FPs if they gave zero rewards(loot,trophies,daily/week missions, ect.). As much fun as something can be people still gravitate towards things that reward them with a sense of progression/rewards. Adding an exp boost in a pvp instance wouldn't inspire pvp, but it would help fill the instances and in no way be mandatory to play the game. Not a complete fix for the issue, but a start. Additionally they can have daily/weekly missions to kill people in the open world, have players drop tech frags or other loot, ect.

Lets talk about a place where wpvp exists, it's a place where people get rewards, achievments, etc for playing on the pvp instance, and only on the pvp instance. It's called the 'Gree' event. Everytime it's on, people go to the pvp instances, to do the missions, yet we don't have people cheering, no, we have people whinging, because they were ganked, or they just want to complete their missions, etc. If small scale pvp won't work, there's ver little hope for others.

Nowadays it's nearly impossible to get all pvp-achievements by yourself. Pretty much no one walks around in the pvp instances. The only way is to find someone, who gets himself killed over and over again. This is not how it is supposed to be and makes zero fun. I guess it would be cool for all of us, when, for example, the old system returns where you can mark yourself to pvp in the pve-instances or lower the necessary kills for the achievements.(Just a few examples)

Thanks

Derkeksdieler

When was world pvp ever attractive, I mean really? pvp people want their pvp separate and often go out of their way to make those of pve doing pvp (usually for the Pierce companion requirement - boo!) a miserable experience plus on top of that - making no effort to get pve people into toxic pvp, so stay on your pvp instances! pve people hated getting trolled into pvp like by aoes flagged pvp harassers jumped into to flag pve people so they can gank them, and it is horsepucky stuff like that which gave pvp its current well earned state - pvp does not deserve sympathy

nope - world pvp went bye bye for good reasons, keep it that way

Edited by BlackSilverDawn