Got a look I like for my toon, why doesnt this game allow me to keep it?

MirrimFaranth

Who knows, maybe there's a schematic or a modifiable drop of it in white or grey.

As far as hoops go, there's only one hoop to jump through. Finding a synthweaver with the recipe.

Hell make a character on Lord Adraas and I'll make a set right now, I'm just trying to pass out some information.

Yeesh.

I appreciate it, but Im on Jung Ma, and switching servers, guilds, and releveling a number of toons is perhaps the biggest hoop of all to get an appearance I like...lol. But again, thx for the offer.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best thing they should have done, was made "ALL" gear mod gear. By "ALL" gear, I don't mean like they have right now. An orange version of said gear. I mean all gear that drops etc is already orange. Do away with any gear in the game that isn't a mod piece.

That way you pick what you wanted to look like as you lvled and just modded it.

Hell, at lvl cap and raiding time, you would just raid for the mods (or gear if you like how it looks.)

Simple fix right there.

That would be awesome.

Buy orange gear

Upgrade the mods etc each few levels

????

Profit

Seriously, I dont understand this argument. I think alot of gear looks like *** so I just stick to the orange stuff that I like and change the mods around. If I am running an instance and a better orange piece drops I might take it and steal all its mods to add into my current chest.

If a better piece drops and its not orange i wear it until I can buy mods for my current orange piece to upgrade.

I think the best thing they should have done, was made "ALL" gear mod gear. By "ALL" gear, I don't mean like they have right now. An orange version of said gear. I mean all gear that drops etc is already orange. Do away with any gear in the game that isn't a mod piece.

That way you pick what you wanted to look like as you lvled and just modded it.

Hell, at lvl cap and raiding time, you would just raid for the mods (or gear if you like how it looks.)

Simple fix right there.

A simpler method to start is to do what LOTRO and WoW do. Have an appearance tab, where you can equip the models of anything, anytime, while keeping the stats of whatever you have.

I truly don't understand the middleground they chose. The mod system would be great if expanded, so there's that.

That's pretty suck, given other games do it.

Blah blah, other games this, other games that. This game has this and this game has that.

It really does get old saying that.

At this point it's like being that kid in the candy store and "HE GOT TWO CHOCOLATE BARS."

I'd prefer if they focus on...i dunno...more vital things? Like game breaking bugs in hardmode or raids? Or balancing issues? Or lint?

Blah blah, other games this, other games that. This game has this and this game has that.

At this point it's like being that kid in the candy store and "HE GOT TWO CHOCOLATE BARS."

I'd prefer if they focus on...i dunno...more vital things? Like game breaking bugs in hardmode or raids? Or balancing issues? Or lint?

People do not live in a vacuum.

A simpler method to start is to do what LOTRO and WoW do. Have an appearance tab, where you can equip the models of anything, anytime, while keeping the stats of whatever you have.

I truly don't understand the middleground they chose. The mod system would be great if expanded, so there's that.

Exactly...the mod system is great..for STATS...not for appearance.

Buy orange gear

Upgrade the mods etc each few levels

????

Profit

Seriously, I dont understand this argument. I think alot of gear looks like *** so I just stick to the orange stuff that I like and change the mods around. If I am running an instance and a better orange piece drops I might take it and steal all its mods to add into my current chest.

If a better piece drops and its not orange i wear it until I can buy mods for my current orange piece to upgrade.

*buys orange gear*

*gets his epic gear out*

*realizes he cant move mods...*

*is sad panda as he looks like everyone else of his class end game* =<

Yeah, because ignoring your competition and your players expectations is a sure fire recipe for success...lol

*rollseyes*

I like that fact that if you want to look good you have to put some work into it. Moddable gear is around and you can make some pretty wicked outfits if you do the work. Looking good should be something you strive for, whether it is grinding pvp or planet accomendations or runnning that FP until you get your set it shouldn't be free. If you don't care about the way you look then you are good. This is of course my opinion but I enjoy doing the work to get that one outfit that looks awesome!

Yeah, because ignoring your competition and your players expectations is a sure fire recipe for success...lol

*rollseyes*

Yep, sure is considering every player's expectations is going to be different. I'd much rather they focus on one thing and one thing specifically, perfect it, and then move on to the next subject rather they get pulled and twisted and thrown about like a ragdoll to a whole bunch of different people.

In regards to competition, to hell with competition. Competition can either bring the worst or the best out of you, and when it comes to MMOs...it's the worst. Rift was created competing against WoW. It lost.

Aion was created competing against WoW. It lost.

At this point these two marathon runners bursted out at the gate and are starting to get winded before they could come close to the finish line.

Stop striving to beat the previous guy and start focusing on just standing up on your own two feet. That's the only way to actually succeed in the long run.

Edited by ShenLong

Well yeah that is simpler. I understand that. However they didn't do that, and to go that route now would throw all of the orange gear out the window. My idea is simpler as all they have to do is drop all gear in game but mod gear :)

It would be for the best really.

If all the gear in the game that dropped/crafted for you and I was able to be modded, you would be able to find said gear you like faster. Yet still have a reason to do raids at end, flashpoints here and there as well as crafting and turning in tokens. To get the "better" mods for your gear.

We all win with this system.

If i like how my character looks, i will enjoy the game much more. I will happily grind mobs even if i look good doing it and can get immersed in my character. I agree with OP it shouldn't be too hard to implement and hopefuly we see it in a couple of months Edited by sw_dragon

Yep, sure is considering every player's expectations is going to be different. I'd much rather they focus on one thing and one thing specifically, perfect it, and then move on to the next subject rather they get pulled and twisted and thrown about like a ragdoll to a whole bunch of different people.

In regards to competition, to hell with competition. Competition can either bring the worst or the best out of you, and when it comes to MMOs...it's the worst. Rift was created competing against WoW. It lost.

Aion was created competing against WoW. It lost.

At this point these two marathon runners bursted out at the gate and are starting to get winded before they could come close to the finish line.

Stop striving to beat the previous guy and start focusing on just standing up on your own two feet. That's the only way to actually succeed in the long run.

I disagree...most players in an MMO are going to expect to be able to craft their toons appearance as they wish without having to build Rome in a day, or reinvent the wheel.

Well technically you can have an appearance gear, just switch it out when you're about to fight. Nothing is stopping you from doing this but laziness.

Are you seriously implying that anyone that wants to look a certain way should simply... change their gear pre-combat? That sounds FUN. Games should not be fun though, I know. Damn casuals ruining it for everyone lol.

Well yeah that is simpler. I understand that. However they didn't do that, and to go that route now would throw all of the orange gear out the window. My idea is simpler as all they have to do is drop all gear in game but mod gear :)

It would be for the best really.

If all the gear in the game that dropped/crafted for you and I was able to be modded, you would be able to find said gear you like faster. Yet still have a reason to do raids at end, flashpoints here and there as well as crafting and turning in tokens. To get the "better" mods for your gear.

We all win with this system.

Would also flex the economy some. And it's unique. I do like it.

I disagree...most players in an MMO are going to expect to be able to craft their toons appearance as they wish without having to build Rome in a day, or reinvent the wheel.

And frankly, that's there own fault of they are disappointed with that. Expect the world and be lucky to even receive a plot of land.

So far there is a good amount of options when it comes to personalizing your characters. Not as much as people would want, but enough for release. But if they dropped everything to focus on further personalization, then something else gets left out in the wind. Usually something FAR more important. And yeah, I am saying that extensive personalization is a completely and utterly minor focus. No I am not budging on that either.

At the same time, everything should not be easy to get. For example, that look you wanted. I do think that it should be hard for you to get because Something you really want should be worth the effort. I haven't put the effort in and still haven't arranged one that I really want. That is completely and utterly my fault. I'm not going to go and say "Line everything up infront of me so I can pick something out." Nope, I'm going to kill bosses and do missions until fate brings something that will widen my eyes.

Fun bit, could care less. They said they wanted the look, so I told them how to get it.

Buh-bye.

You apparently mistook my post as being directed at you, and somehow derogatory toward you, based upon the tone of this post. My best guess is that where I said "their", meaning Bioware, you thought I was referring to you. Of course, that your misguided retort included a dismissive, superior-than-thou "Buh-bye" made it tempting to not even bother explaining this misunderstanding. But, there you have it. Can we put the defensive shields down now and discuss the topic?

You apparently mistook my post as being directed at you, and somehow derogatory toward you, based upon the tone of this post. My best guess is that where I said "their", meaning Bioware, you thought I was referring to you. Of course, that your misguided retort included a dismissive, superior-than-thou "Buh-bye" made it tempting to not even bother explaining this misunderstanding. But, there you have it. Can we put the defensive shields down now and discuss the topic?

Fine, I'll retract the "Buh-bye." When you quote someone though and say "Their," generally it's going to mean that person's response. Thus quoting me going their "answer," is going to sound more condescending towards me, thus irking me.

In short, it sounded like you were looking down on me so I attempted to take the elevator up to look down on you from a further perch.

And for the record, since it wasn't directed at me I apologize for the condescending response.

Edited by ShenLong

Thanks ShenLong, now I know what receipe to hope for for my synthweaver! I've got a similar chestpiece (Temple Watchman's Vest - purchased from the Tython commendation vendor) equipped on my Sentinel at the moment, so I'm hoping I can get the orange version for her soon, as it's been the best armour (loot or quest reward) that I've had for nearly 10 levels!

Anyway, back on topic, I seem to recall a dev quote in another thread (concerning the lack of 'match colour to chestpiece' option from earlier in Beta) as saying they've got something bigger planned (no idea when it's due to arrive) that would be easier to implement than trying to patch on top of the option. So, maybe they do have something planned that would allow us to retain our unique appearances, no matter the armour. But, who knows. At this stage, some sort of Dev-provided specific priority list/upcoming patch post wouldn't go amiss to keep people happy.

Tim

Yes, Im talking appearance tab, or costume slots, like a number of MMOs...F2P MMOs, like lotro, have.

Slotted gear is fine, for later, but is limiting. Why does the game put limits on my appearance when most other MMOs don't? Why am I forced to wear something that is less appealing to me? Why cant I have a stat set of gear and an appearance set of gear. If people only want to see true gear then they can disable the appearance option.

I like this look, but I cant keep it. Why?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/screenshot2011122922064.jpg/

I have found this is a recurring theme in this game. The above is a picture of a lowbie jedi knight, guardian-to-be...but my 36 sage is in the Taris bonus gear, slotted, and has been for 10+ levels. Nothing else is appealing to me. People like what they like. Some of the gear looks awesome. It is a testament to the devs/art team that there is an outfit that I want to keep, this early in the game. But much of the gear is hideous. You cant go wrong when you let people choose their appearance, and then let people choose to show appearance gear or true gear, according to what matters to them.

I stuff the robes i like in the bank for whenever that appearence tab eventually rolls around.

Thanks ShenLong, now I know what receipe to hope for for my synthweaver! I've got a similar chestpiece (Temple Watchman's Vest - purchased from the Tython commendation vendor) equipped on my Sentinel at the moment, so I'm hoping I can get the orange version for her soon, as it's been the best armour (loot or quest reward) that I've had for nearly 10 levels!

Anyway, back on topic, I seem to recall a dev quote in another thread (concerning the lack of 'match colour to chestpiece' option from earlier in Beta) as saying they've got something bigger planned (no idea when it's due to arrive) that would be easier to implement than trying to patch on top of the option. So, maybe they do have something planned that would allow us to retain our unique appearances, no matter the armour. But, who knows. At this stage, some sort of Dev-provided specific priority list/upcoming patch post wouldn't go amiss to keep people happy.

Tim

No problem. Condescending attitude aside, I do enjoy helping people.

Anywhos, don't what I could say to that point. It's a shame really about the match to chestpiece because that's probably my favorite feature when it comes to customization.

At the same time it doesn't matter to me or not if they make a priority list for people to view. I think in the end that would just cause more rage because too many people want their priorities to be first. I'm quite content with just going with the flow and being pleasantly surprised at what comes out next :3