Ok bioware it's time for another name purge

RaithHarth

So basically, you pick out a little part of what i said, take it out of context, and attack it, and what I said on basis of that, even though, through the whole thread, I've defended your right to try and have the name release, in the hope that you actually get what you are looking for.....

No, no, no, please don't take my words as an attack. I wasn't writing to you specifically - yes, I should have specified, I apologise - when I wrote "don't generalise people". That was meant as a comment towards people in general, not you specifically. The part where I quoted, you fit with what I wanted to write, but I realise I should have specified that my response was not meant towards you specifically, I apologise for that.

The post is absolutely not meant as an attack and I am somewhat surprised you labelled it as such. Could you highlight which part you perceived as hostile? If you could, I will strive to phrase things differently in the future so as to not have people perceive my words as hostile again. As I assure you, nothing I wrote was meant as an attack :)

The part you picked out was a direct response to what was posted, not a generalisation, and if you bothered reading the rest, you would have seen that. You specific case was mentioned, as well as advice to get people to message those in charge to see if we could get this happen....:rolleyes:

Yes, I fully realise my mistake of quoting your bit. When I was writing it, it fit with what I wanted to say, yet I should have realised that without specifying it was meant as a general comment, you would have perceived it as a response to you directly. I fully accept the blame for that, my apologies. Again, my comment to you was not an attack nor aimed at you specifically. I should have instead quoted the poster you were responding to, so, I apologise for my lack of insight at the time.

Edited by Ylliarus

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I fully realise my mistake of quoting your bit. When I was writing it, it fit with what I wanted to say, yet I should have realised that without specifying it was meant as a general comment, you would have perceived it as a response to you directly. I fully accept the blame for that, my apologies. Again, my comment to you was not an attack nor aimed at you specifically. I should have instead quoted the poster you were responding to, so, I apologise for my lack of insight at the time.

np, all sorted :) It happens. we can all get caught up in a thread when passionate about it, which is not a bad thing, passion is good for the game.

No, not when the character name is on an account that the owner no longer bothers with. I am not supporting a name purge of reckless abandon, I am supporting a rational and considerate name purge.

Because don't tell me that someone who hasn't logged in for years into the game and doesn't plan to log in for the next couple of years to come, is concerned what happens to their character names. And if they are concerned, well then, then they should come online and play those characters.

That's a bit harsh.

I still think that the best option would be to add a unique identifier (#12345) that is invisible to other players. Like pretty much every other game service out there. It would resolve the "can't get a name I like" scenario and instead of alienating potential players both old and new (including with server merges) it keeps people happier.

Just my two cents (again....).

That's a bit harsh.

I still think that the best option would be to add a unique identifier (#12345) that is invisible to other players. Like pretty much every other game service out there. It would resolve the "can't get a name I like" scenario and instead of alienating potential players both old and new (including with server merges) it keeps people happier.

How would it work>? would it be Name, followed by a number?

Say 'Antman #1234' and how would it work in chat, would it look like 'Antman' or 'Antman #1234'

If it's the first way, and say a friend was looking for me, how would he know which 'antman' in chat is me, there's could be multiple 'antman' on at the time.

If it's the second way, how would it look for rp'rs I can't imagine they'd appreciate the numbers, it's would definately be an eyesore during their rp's.

Not to mention what trolls could do to it :/

Either way really wouldn't affect me, as I don't rp these days, but it could affect a lot of people

That's a bit harsh.

I like the invisible identity tag idea. I secured some pretty unique names on Launch day around 1am in the morning and after several server merges and unsubbing a few times I have lost them all. I keep thinking up new names but all I am doing is advertising them for someone to steal in the next name purge if I happen to unsub for a month or two.

I have never had a problem with names except one and it was just a common name that i was surprised that no one had actually used already. i lost it on the server merge, but, fear not, i was able to use a form of the name that looked and felt much better. Too bad she is a storage toon now...a failed attempt at being a merc healer. perhaps one day i will dust her off and use her.

with that said, perhaps another name purge is in order, but if that doesnt produce the results that folks want, will they be on here asking for more? probably so.

i know on one of the other purges i was unable to sub for a while. However, when i heard of the purge i collected up a few bucks and made sure i met the criteria to keep my names. Who is to say the owner of the names folks want wont do the same?

How would it work>? would it be Name, followed by a number?

Say 'Antman #1234' and how would it work in chat, would it look like 'Antman' or 'Antman #1234'

If it's the first way, and say a friend was looking for me, how would he know which 'antman' in chat is me, there's could be multiple 'antman' on at the time.

I would assume that you would be on their friends list if it was the first option.

If it's the second way, how would it look for rp'rs I can't imagine they'd appreciate the numbers, it's would definately be an eyesore during their rp's.

Feasibly BioWare could add an option to hide the identifier to the user if selected. It would probably however be visible on the character select screen, which really, is a small price to pay for being able to select a name you would like to have.

I'm not sure exactly how much this would help, but I'm sure it would improve things...

Bioware needs to get over whatever extra work and man-hours it would cause, and overhaul at least this function of nametagging: Making it character specific instead of account specific. The character name should be allowed to be replicated as many times as possible in the server universe. If that means we have a bunch of Smellmyfarts smuggler classes in the game, I'm fine with that, it doesn't bother me. But legacy names should have restricted availability only, so new players to the server only have the opportunity to take away one name option instead of 30. And to avoid the issue of invites and friending through chat, the Who list should really be more committed to differentiating players based on legacy. I mean even on Discord I just have my profile set to my legacy name when I'm on TOR because I don't want to keep changing it when playing with people on another toon that isn't cleverly rhymed-related or they're not familiar with.

I'm getting really tired of having to do stupid little tweaks to the countless names I try to give but have been taken by some 5-year old troll that's never going to hop onto his account again.

I'm not sure exactly how much this would help, but I'm sure it would improve things..

Whether it would help or not, I think it's unworkable.

Bioware needs to get over whatever extra work and man-hours it would cause, and overhaul at least this function of nametagging: Making it character specific instead of account specific. The character name should be allowed to be replicated as many times as possible in the server universe. If that means we have a bunch of Smellmyfarts smuggler classes in the game, I'm fine with that, it doesn't bother me.

It will bother you when you try to "/ignore Smellmyfarts" and the game tells you, "I found 47865 characters called that, which one are you trying to ignore?". (OK, it's a bad example. Most of us would probably want to ignore all of them, except that there isn't room on our ignore list for nearly forty eight thousand characters.)

But legacy names should have restricted availability only,

Sad to say that it is way far too late, and later even than that, to change that. It was changed to make legacy names non-unique in patch 1.3.7, in 2012, and there will be lots of legacy name collisions on *every* server. Which of the fifty seven accounts with the legacy name "Skywalker" would get to keep the name?(1)

so new players to the server only have the opportunity to take away one name option instead of 30. And to avoid the issue of invites and friending through chat, the Who list should really be more committed to differentiating players based on legacy.

As noted, that won't work because legacy names are not unique and haven't been constrained to be unique for nearly eight years. It's also unworkable because if the player doesn't want you to see his legacy name, you can't, unless you're both in the same guild.

I'm getting really tired of having to do stupid little tweaks to the countless names I try to give but have been taken by some 5-year old troll that's never going to hop onto his account again.

Put your character's surname in his or her name. (Call your character Yerka Kolar instead of just Yerka, for example.)

(1) Skywalker is a bad example, since it's against the Terms of Service, but there probably *are* many legacies called that on all servers.

OK, but *why* do you support it?

Oh sorry, just for the reasons already stated. If you're at all attached to your character, you should be attached to the name. If you are not playing I think it's fair to give that name up, no point in hanging on to it for nothing. I have a strong feeling the names I want will free up due to inactivity. If not, I 100% accept that I won't get the name and move on.

By the way, I get people may come back and want the name too, that's why I propose basing the purge on inactivity time on top of play time.

That's a bit harsh.

I would accept this as well. Do not care if I am the only person running around with my name as long as I get the name I want.

why, because they got there before you. You've no idea who they are, or when they play.

I would accept this as well. Do not care if I am the only person running around with my name as long as I get the name I want.

The problem with that is, if you are rp'ing, and there's two tony's in the same area, how to you keep account of who#s who, or worse, your name is tony, but so is someone else, who's trolling, or causing ****. Next time you run a FP, people see 'Tony' and kick you.

By the way, I get people may come back and want the name too, that's why I propose basing the purge on inactivity time on top of play time.

A name release was suggested at some point during this debate, with strick rules, along what they had the last time.

But no dev's will wade in to this. As I've said previously, anyone who feels strongly about this, for any reason, should message charles or eric, here or on twitter, then they might get involved, and people might got some answers, etc.

Edited by DarkTergon

I've never personally had an issue getting the names I want, but don't have a problem with freeing up inactive names. (I think an unlock is better than a purge, because if no one else wants the name there's no tangible reason to take it away.)

I don't think a year of inactivity is enough, though. It may seem like a long time just thinking about the game alone, but if someone has - for example - had a baby, or been caring for a family member with a severe illness, or been deployed, that's not an unreasonable length of time to set the game aside and still plan to come back. I think a couple of years is more realistic.

I think the policy would need to take into account both effort put into the character and effort put into the account as a whole. If an active account has an alt they don't play as much, I think that alt should still be safe even if they are lower level. The person may still be working on that character, or only use the character for activities that don't generate much XP (RP, cosmetic improvement, etc.) but still be invested. If the person is playing the game overall, I don't think they should lose their alts' names.

I also think Bioware should give a heads up in advance so anyone who does care has time to log back in or make arrangements. This isn't the kind of thing a player wants to be surprised by. If we know it's happening, players who want to preserve their characters' names can do so.

I've never personally had an issue getting the names I want, but don't have a problem with freeing up inactive names. (I think an unlock is better than a purge, because if no one else wants the name there's no tangible reason to take it away.)

I don't think a year of inactivity is enough, though. It may seem like a long time just thinking about the game alone, but if someone has - for example - had a baby, or been caring for a family member with a severe illness, or been deployed, that's not an unreasonable length of time to set the game aside and still plan to come back. I think a couple of years is more realistic.

I think the policy would need to take into account both effort put into the character and effort put into the account as a whole. If an active account has an alt they don't play as much, I think that alt should still be safe even if they are lower level. The person may still be working on that character, or only use the character for activities that don't generate much XP (RP, cosmetic improvement, etc.) but still be invested. If the person is playing the game overall, I don't think they should lose their alts' names.

I also think Bioware should give a heads up in advance so anyone who does care has time to log back in or make arrangements. This isn't the kind of thing a player wants to be surprised by. If we know it's happening, players who want to preserve their characters' names can do so.

I agree -- I take breaks and time off; I should not be "punished" for doing so

REAL life matters too

But no dev's will wade in to this. As I've said previously, anyone who feels strongly about this, for any reason, should message charles or eric, here or on twitter, then they might get involved, and people might got some answers, etc.

I've tried tweeting about this to Charles Boyd, but sadly that didn't get a response. I could see if writing to the CommunityTeam account would yield a better result.

I agree -- I take breaks and time off; I should not be "punished" for doing so

REAL life matters too

I do get your sentiment and I will definitely support any measures that would protect accounts and character names like yours. However, there is also a number of players who take up other people's names when they are temporarily available or something with spiteful intent, only to sit on them while not logging in. This is what any name unlock or purge should target.

Edited by Ylliarus

I've tried tweeting about this to Charles Boyd, but sadly that didn't get a response. I could see if writing to the CommunityTeam account would yield a better result.

That's a shame he didn't respond, hopefully the community team can. This topic has been going on for a while, it would be nice to have an offical response.

I do get your sentiment and I will definitely support any measures that would protect accounts and character names like yours. However, there is also a number of players who take up other people's names when they are temporarily available or something with spiteful intent, only to sit on them while not logging in. This is what any name unlock or purge should target.

Isn't that the point of prestige? Getting something that other people do not have and seeing them seethe while you enjoy the benefits?

I've got several absolutely delightful names on Darth Malgus, myself. And it doesn't matter whether I play every day or whether I'll leave the game tomorrow to come back in five years - I'm owning them, I'm keeping them, I'm enjoying watching other people wanting them.

Finders keepers. Or, as we say in Russia, "whoever gets up first owns the shoes". So, no. If I own the name and my character is level 30 or above, no one will take it from me. Ever.

Isn't it lovely?

Edited by Kulyok

Isn't that the point of prestige?

Isn't it lovely?

No, tht's not prestige, you've gotten it mixed up

I've got several absolutely delightful names on Darth Malgus, myself. And it doesn't matter whether I play every day or whether I'll leave the game tomorrow to come back in five years - I'm owning them, I'm keeping them, I'm enjoying watching other people wanting them.

So, no. If I own the name and my character is level 30 or above, no one will take it from me. Ever.

Isn't it lovely?

That says a lot about you. Can't go in to more details, as I've been in trouble enough...lol

as we say in Russia, "whoever gets up first owns the shoes".

Depends on how smelly the feet that were in them last was :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Edited by DarkTergon

What happened with your name is frustrating and unfortunate, and I can see why you're upset. That said, I think we need to keep some perspective here.

The vast majority of players will take a break at some point for some reason. Whether something comes up in their life or they just need some downtime, at some point most of us will have a period of time when we are not playing actively.

According to what you've said about it, your situation was largely the result of chance. You had the bad luck of a server transfer coinciding with someone deciding to enact a vendetta in a really convoluted way that (respectfully) you are way more personally upset by than I think the average player would be. That's not a flaw in the structure of the game itself, or something that is going to be repeatable on a regular basis affecting many players. Sure, it happens sometimes, and that stinks, but I find it hard to believe that it's causing significant hardship to a large percentage of the player base.

It does not make sense to "target" an isolated and chance-based incident at the expense of the majority of the players. I'm sorry, but it doesn't. It does not make sense to make something almost everyone will do at some point (take a break) secondary to something that will only happen occasionally because of bad luck (having a name maliciously stolen when it happens to briefly become available.)

Bioware needs to focus on the needs of the majority. Like I said in my previous post, I'm fine with a name unlock - with certain conditions. I just don't think people's unlucky personal situations can be the basis for policies that affect everyone.

Edited by TreeHuggerHannah

I created a new character last week, every name from the random name generator was in use.

If you want to name a character using a name that means something whatever language you picks its in use.

Rubbish, I created 5 characters last week, every name I chose for my characters was available.

After 8 years I would fully expect the name generated names to be taken but you can still use all of them, just give your characters a surname that's unique to you, not hard or difficult.

I agree with robertthebard mostly for the reason(s) you gave, after onslaught many came back to the game as many clearly say so in gen chat, which BW can easily look up themselves. It really does not matter if they have come back just because of the COVID lockdown many are having, or just to try the new stories they have missed over the last few years. Their accounts should be as they left it.

And seemingly you still fail to understand that someone might be attached to a particular name.

I fully support the idea of a name purge. From what I have seen in the previous thread on this topic, there are multiple players who support the notion of a name purge as well, because they lost a character name they were attached to or fond of.

Oh, he fully understands just does not care and neither do I. I also don't except or belive the reason you gave in the last thread either. More to the point I will never under any circumstance care that you lost one name, just one name but happy for other players to lose theirs.

Your attempt to paint me in a bad light isn't going to work.

Really, The player you quoted does not need to, I think you did that all by yourself in the last thread. I have agreed with you on other topics, but will never on this. No player should have any say over other players' accounts. You lost a name, that's on you, no one else.

OMG! Not this again. We just had a long drawn out thread about this.

No, you can't have your "special" name. It's been taken. Get over it. 😂

Agreed, the topic to me is not the real issue here players can ask for one, just as players like me can argue against it, the issue is that as you point out there has been a thread on it recently. The same players posting in both. Two threads on the same topic do not in any way make the subject more urgent or necessary or needed. BW is already aware some players are asking for it. So ultimately it's in their court to do something or not. Remaining silent on it helps no one and just causes friction amongst forum posters.

Edited by Nevaeh-Heaven

Rubbish, I created 5 characters last week, every name I chose for my characters was available.

Actually it can happen, the name can be taken when you go to play it. But as you mentioned, people can add a surname, or a ' in between somewhere to make it different. If I like the name thaat pops up, and it's taken, I usually just copy it, then hit raandom again, till I find another name I like, that also goes with the first, decide which souds better as a first name last name, and use it like that. I've come up with some really great names doing that.

The idea that has been put forward in both posts, isn't actually a purge, even though people keep using that work, but a name release/unlock, under strict conditions, like the last time. It won't affect anyone taking a break, because 'mostly' they come back after a few months, etc. The last time, it was names that were not attached to sub accounts, and hadn't been used in about 2 years, or there abouts. Not sure of the excat details. If they were to do it again, under the same conditions, I can't see the harm in it. Yill has noted in both threads that it probaly won't release his name, but they've tried everything else. And even if it doesn't release his name, it might make more names available for others.

Edited by DarkTergon

Actually it can happen, the name can be taken when you go to play it. But as you mentioned, people can add a surname, or a ' in between somewhere to make it different. If I like the name thaat pops up, and it's taken, I usually just copy it, then hit raandom again, till I find another name I like, that also goes with the first, decide which souds better as a first name last name, and use it like that. I've come up with some really great names doing that.

I usually do thet too, when i've no inspiration.

I'll change a few letters too or rearange the order of some of them, to see if it sounds / looks better.

The idea that has been put forward in both posts, isn't actually a purge, even though people keep using that work, but a name release/unlock, under strict conditions, like the last time. It won't affect anyone taking a break, because 'mostly' they come back after a few months, etc. The last time, it was names that were not attached to sub accounts, and hadn't been used in about 2 years, or there abouts. Not sure of the excat details. If they were to do it again, under the same conditions, I can't see the harm in it. Yill has noted in both threads that it probaly won't release his name, but they've tried everything else. And even if it doesn't release his name, it might make more names available for others.

Thank you for saying this, because it is absolutely true. I have stated numerous times that I fully support the idea of a name unlock with strict rules and conditions, so as to not affect anyone in an overtly negative way. Name unlocks have been implemented in the past and it worked, Bioware was able to do it in a reasonable and well-thought out manner. I do not understand why some people in this thread rage against an idea that has already been implemented in the past multiple times.

And exactly as you say, I do not expect a name unlock to liberate the name from the player who took it from me. However, that doesn't stop me from wanting to try and suggest something that might help me. If it doesn't help me, that is too bad, but ah well, what can you do. However, if it can help the other people who have expressed their support for this idea both in this thread as well as the other one which I had created, then that is wonderful and I will feel satisfied my suggestion has helped them. Whether people believe me on that or not really doesn't matter to me, because in the end I know the truth (note, I am not saying this to you btw, Tergon, I am ranting in a general sense :D)

As I have repeated numerous times, I don't want names to be taken from people who actively play the game. That is not my intent nor is it something desirable. All I am suggesting is that a name unlock occurs (just like the ones in the past) where truly inactive accounts have their names unlocked, so that if anyone else wants to take that name, it will be available to them. Because if an account is truly inactive (and there are plenty of those) then who is harmed if the name is taken away? No one.

And to all those who don't believe my situation or my motivations, I repeat: I don't care :D because I know the truth and you don't. So believe me if you will, don't believe me if you won't, but either way your belief doesn't change a thing about the factual reality.

Edited by Ylliarus

The last time, it was names that were not attached to sub accounts, and hadn't been used in about 2 years, or there abouts. Not sure of the excat details.

I can help with that.

Here are the exact rules for Character Name Renewal:

If you are a Free-to-Play player:

• If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 60 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
  • If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 120 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
  • Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.

If you are a Preferred Status player:

• If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 90 days, your character will be flagged for rename
  • If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 180 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
  • Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.

If you are or become a Subscriber:

• You will be unaffected by this

In 2017, just prior to United Forces (the server merge) they did another name release, which affected any character, regardless of subscription status that had "not logged in for 90-days or more which has not progressed beyond level 10." But that was a special circumstance and if they do another name renewal it would likely be similar to 2013. BW tends to apply a soft touch to releasing names and likes to give people a lot of advance notice.

As you noted DarkTergon (I always want to call you tarragon), BW has never done a name purge, and a name release doesn't necessarily mean that someone is going to get a name they've been wanting. In 2013 with Character Name Renewal BW gave people a lot of advance notice (I still have the email they sent me on 23 Oct 2013) and if they do another release it is likely they will do the same thing again.

In 2017, just prior to United Forces (the server merge) they did another name release, which affected any character, regardless of subscription status that had "not logged in for 90-days or more which has not progressed beyond level 10." But that was a special circumstance and if they do another name renewal it would likely be similar to 2013. BW tends to apply a soft touch to releasing names and likes to give people a lot of advance notice.

As you noted DarkTergon (I always want to call you tarragon), BW has never done a name purge, and a name release doesn't necessarily mean that someone is going to get a name they've been wanting. In 2013 with Character Name Renewal BW gave people a lot of advance notice (I still have the email they sent me on 23 Oct 2013) and if they do another release it is likely they will do the same thing again.

And all of that sounds more than reasonable to me, as it is a fair and not too intrusive system. If it happens to liberate the name that I hope will be liberated, then I will be beyond happy! But if not, too bad, but I have already created a bunch of new characters with great names that I love as well. Yet as I have repeated before and will keep doing so time and again, if other players will be able to reclaim names they lost in the past because of a name unlock like you describe, then I consider that mission accomplished :)

Edited by Ylliarus