Server Lag

KellKenoby

Anyone playing from Australia and connecting through LA should note there is current extra pacific congestion. This is causing an extra 15-30ms extra ping added to the normal connections. This is also causing extra ping spikes.

I’m investigating why at the moment. Best guess is one of the submarine lines has a fault and extra traffic is being funneled through the other sub routes.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, there are multiple threads with people having the same issues, but if you've read those threads, most get it sorted by taking the advice of some of the very experienced players in the game.

Unfortunately some people think they know more, mouth off, and never get anything sorted, because they don't try it themselves.

I get this issue from time to time, not so much during this summer (or I don't play as much) as I did this spring which was terrible from time to time. Today I've hade some issues and even one disconnect due to timeout.

Using pingplotter I could trace the issue to the last 2-4 hops before the final server. Not sure if they are within EAs domain or not.

The thing that I think make some user upset is the way that your issue always gets resolved by the support with one suggestion from them and no way for you to reply if it worked or not, I think a good support should follow an issue for longer than that.

Ot course there are quite a few that have issues locally but we are also some that cannot do anything to solve the issues. For me I just leave the game for some days and hope it will be fixed by itself.

And SWTOR is the only game I have issues with, no other online games at all. Still the game is to good to not play :)

Edited by MrSteed

Using pingplotter I could trace the issue to the last 2-4 hops before the final server. Not sure if they are within EAs domain or not.

I'm not to sure either :(

The thing that I think make some user upset is the way that your issue always gets resolved by the support with one suggestion from them and no way for you to reply if it worked or not, I think a good support should follow an issue for longer than that.

I found lately if you contact support@swtor.com , because it's an email, you'll have an option to reply, and update them. It worked great for me, when I was having account issues. I also found they were better capable than the normal first level ticket support. You could always try sending them your ping plotter data, and seeing if there is anything they can do about it. You might just get a no, but it's worth a shot.

And SWTOR is the only game I have issues with, no other online games at all. Still the game is to good to not play :)

I haven't played many MMO's lately, but decided to dip my toes in some recently, I found that in general, they all seem to have the same issues, same complaints, same trolls. Wasn't much different between communities. Personally I had no issues running or playing these games, but their forums, and even general chat were very much like here.

Edited by DarkTergon

yes, there are multiple threads with people having the same issues, but if you've read those threads, most get it sorted by taking the advice of some of the very experienced players in the game.

Unfortunately some people think they know more, mouth off, and never get anything sorted, because they don't try it themselves.

where are the topics resolved? if you find 10 topics talking about the subject 9 have not been resolved and 1 has ended with the sentence will I try?

where are these solutions that (more experienced players solved?) I see a lot of conversation, but why didn't you post the solutions here and wait to see if this topic actually ends with the name resolved? who knows I may say at the end that you're right!

I keep saying, these problems have been around for years and nothing was to be solved in general, there is no point in staying here with me and the problem keeps happening, I play from the beginning and criticizing others does not make you more experienced than me.

the truth is that the problem continues to exist and so far there is only mimi and no solution and that's it!

disagree with me? then put the solution there and let's see if this time it ends as resolved.

I get this issue from time to time, not so much during this summer (or I don't play as much) as I did this spring which was terrible from time to time. Today I've hade some issues and even one disconnect due to timeout.

Ot course there are quite a few that have issues locally but we are also some that cannot do anything to solve the issues. For me I just leave the game for some days and hope it will be fixed by itself.

the same thing happens to me, I have these problems but keep playing, here I don’t have lag, I have dc that have days that are less frequent and others that don’t. still the game is still very good and of course there is always hope that at some point they will resolve.

I'm not to sure either :(

I found lately if you contact support@swtor.com , because it's an email, you'll have an option to reply, and update them. It worked great for me, when I was having account issues. I also found they were better capable than the normal first level ticket support. You could always try sending them your ping plotter data, and seeing if there is anything they can do about it. You might just get a no, but it's worth a shot.

I haven't played many MMO's lately, but decided to dip my toes in some recently, I found that in general, they all seem to have the same issues, same complaints, same trolls. Wasn't much different between communities. Personally I had no issues running or playing these games, but their forums, and even general chat were very much like here.

yes it is true that in fact every MMO somehow has its problems, you were not mistaken when choosing swtor, with problems or not the best, in my opinion.

Just to add to what TrixxieTriss has been saying, I've pretty much 100% confirmed the issue with my SWTOR lag is happening about halfway through the route. I live in the Southeast US, and I'm seeing significant latency spikes (~200-400ms) and Packet Loss (~35-80%) along hops 4, 5, and 6 in my route to the SWTOR servers. I'm also seeing spikes right outside my home network, so that's my ISP's problem.

PingPlotter Trace

Looking at the names, they're backbone routers that are causing the issues - two in Atlanta (Telia) and one in Washington (F**king Level3, as always). I've currently got a Service Request open with my ISP to see if they can do anything about my route (it's worked in the past!), but until then I may try a VPN's free trial.

As someone in IT with experience in Networking, Routing, and several other aspects, TrixxieTriss is golden in their statements regarding routing and lag. You can have anywhere from 4 to 400 (exaggerated) independent routers between you and whatever endpoint you're reaching out to, and a problem at even ONE of those hops can cause your whole connection to go straight to s**t.

With any luck, my ISP will be able to re-route me around these hellhole routers and my connection will improve significantly.

Edited by Zwoodco
Missing Info

Just to add to what TrixxieTriss has been saying, I've pretty much 100% confirmed the issue with my SWTOR lag is happening about halfway through the route. I live in the Southeast US, and I'm seeing significant latency spikes (~200-400ms) and Packet Loss (~35-80%) along hops 4, 5, and 6 in my route to the SWTOR servers. I'm also seeing spikes right outside my home network, so that's my ISP's problem.

PingPlotter Trace

Looking at the names, they're backbone routers that are causing the issues - two in Atlanta (Telia) and one in Washington (F**king Level3, as always). I've currently got a Service Request open with my ISP to see if they can do anything about my route (it's worked in the past!), but until then I may try a VPN's free trial.

As someone in IT with experience in Networking, Routing, and several other aspects, TrixxieTriss is golden in their statements regarding routing and lag. You can have anywhere from 4 to 400 (exaggerated) independent routers between you and whatever endpoint you're reaching out to, and a problem at even ONE of those hops can cause your whole connection to go straight to s**t.

With any luck, my ISP will be able to re-route me around these hellhole routers and my connection will improve significantly.

I have had some similar lagging issues on swtor, but I am in the Northwest U.S. I strongly suspect that my ISP is the problem. Unfortunately, where I live, there are not many choices regarding internet.

Edited by Pathera

Hopefully they can sort it out. Do you have the normal launcher or steam. Have you tried a VPN like trixxie uses , and has it helped?

I'm using Steam, but I downloaded the normal launcher to test and it didn't help any.

I did download NordVPN and am using the free trial right now, and I've had literally no lag in the past... hour? Whereas without the VPN I'm getting a huge spike every 3 minutes.

That I should have thought of myself, thanks :)

I haven't played many MMO's lately, but decided to dip my toes in some recently, I found that in general, they all seem to have the same issues, same complaints, same trolls. Wasn't much different between communities. Personally I had no issues running or playing these games, but their forums, and even general chat were very much like here..

I only use game forums to get or trying to give help, but I understand what you are saying, way to often the tone gets a bit too much for me. When playing MMOs or other online games like CS:GO i keep mostly to myself, there is way to much bad vibes way too often. Now CS:GO is probably a bad example because I can't think of a worse chatculture than that. Still I do enjoy reading the good parts like when someone explains their love for Tatooine

Edited by MrSteed

Thanks, I will try that. Do you know where I can find the server IP for Malgus?

My wife also plays on the same network and we rarely get this issue at the same time (if ever) might it still be a router problem you think?

<edit: spelling)

that's all you all think that it may be the pc will its not I get the same lag and some times i get gut off and I restart and it happens agene and I just had my pc upgraded and it happened agene so don't say its some pc until you its true

where are the topics resolved? if you find 10 topics talking about the subject 9 have not been resolved and 1 has ended with the sentence will I try?

where are these solutions that (more experienced players solved?) I see a lot of conversation, but why didn't you post the solutions here and wait to see if this topic actually ends with the name resolved? who knows I may say at the end that you're right!

I keep saying, these problems have been around for years and nothing was to be solved in general, there is no point in staying here with me and the problem keeps happening, I play from the beginning and criticizing others does not make you more experienced than me.

the truth is that the problem continues to exist and so far there is only mimi and no solution and that's it!

disagree with me? then put the solution there and let's see if this time it ends as resolved.

It’s because we don’t have a tech support section in this forum anymore because EA/Bioware removed it,

But you can try the Swtor EA answers site. https://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/ct-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en

You use your same login details as you use for swtor.com

Edited by TrixxieTriss

PingPlotter Trace

Man that sucks, level3 is the worst backbone in the US. 90% of my connection issues in the past are because of lvl3. Telia isn’t much better. Zayo seems to be the better of the 3. So if you can get them to pair you with them, it should eliminate a lot of issues. But they still aren’t perfect either.

Download WTFast trial and see if that has any affect. Just keep in mind, the free version is automatic and doesn’t let you use two points to route around problem areas. So you may see no benefit at all.

I'm using Steam, but I downloaded the normal launcher to test and it didn't help any.

I did download NordVPN and am using the free trial right now, and I've had literally no lag in the past... hour? Whereas without the VPN I'm getting a huge spike every 3 minutes.

A normal VPN (like NordVPN) won’t fix the issue. Try a gaming VPN like WTFast. There are others too, like mudfish, but I’ve never gotten good results from it,

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Had been having an unusually high latency to the North American servers for about a week. Instead of my usual 100-115ms I'd get ~500ms with lots of big spikes early in the day, 250-300ms later in the day.

Earlier today I was playing a flashpoint with a friend when I suddenly got disconnected (just the game), and couldn't get server list to reappear until I restarted the game, and.. when came back, I had my normal ~100ms latency again, and 6 hours later it's still fine. An unexpected surprise, but at least for me the situation seems to have resolved itself.

I can confirm from my extensive testing that there are some big problems on the US backbone providers. I don’t know if they are being over worked with people at home streaming online services or not. I do know I’ve got an extra 10-15ms crossing the pacific and then an extra 10ms from the west east coast. All up, it’s about an extra 25ms above my.normal range. Which you can really feel when you already play with 220ms ping.

I’ve tested with and without WTFast and the difference is huge in stability and about 10ms lower running WTFast. But without it, my ping constantly spikes an additional 50-200ms above normal. That’s 270-420ms spikes many times a minute. Even with WTFast, I had to do a lot more trial and error than I normally do to get around the problem areas.

My conclusion is it’s not the servers causing this or the Bioware network, it’s 100% the US internet backbone crapping it’s self. Which could be any number of reasons.

On a seperate issue, what ever backend maintenance Bioware did last night has added lag delays in moving things in and out of guild storage, personal and legacy storage. There has been a tiny bit of companion lag when trying to send them off on missions. This isnt the lag I discussed at the beginning because this is even happening when I’m stable under WTFast.

My conclusion is it’s not the servers causing this or the Bioware network, it’s 100% the US internet backbone crapping it’s self. Which could be any number of reasons.

They should really move the servers to a more stable country. I don't want this game to end because the servers get fried as a hazard of being hosted in some 3rd world backwater.

Had been having an unusually high latency to the North American servers for about a week. Instead of my usual 100-115ms I'd get ~500ms with lots of big spikes early in the day, 250-300ms later in the day.

Earlier today I was playing a flashpoint with a friend when I suddenly got disconnected (just the game), and couldn't get server list to reappear until I restarted the game, and.. when came back, I had my normal ~100ms latency again, and 6 hours later it's still fine. An unexpected surprise, but at least for me the situation seems to have resolved itself.

This has been my issue for about a week. I normally have 99/130 ms (from the Netherlands) on Star Forge and Satele Shan but for the past week, it's been spiking 550/600 ms at random hours and dc'ing me on occasion. Can't figure out where the problem lies but it's annoying.

Its not back bone. If you run a tracert, you will see * which means not allowed to receive icmp information. The back bone is clean. DEVS, Support, what is going on?!!!!!

Why am I also seeing that this site is not secure on Edge? Has your SSL certs expired?

This has been my issue for about a week. I normally have 99/130 ms (from the Netherlands) on Star Forge and Satele Shan but for the past week, it's been spiking 550/600 ms at random hours and dc'ing me on occasion. Can't figure out where the problem lies but it's annoying.

I'm also in the Netherlands, playing on North American servers, and my lag issues seemed to abruptly stop at about half an hour past midnight Dutch time last night, staying stable for the six more hours that I was online. I was about to check whether the lag was still gone when this new issue popped up and I couldn't log on, but I just managed to get in, and all seems well.. for me, at least.

I'm also in the Netherlands, playing on North American servers, and my lag issues seemed to abruptly stop at about half an hour past midnight Dutch time last night, staying stable for the six more hours that I was online. I was about to check whether the lag was still gone when this new issue popped up and I couldn't log on, but I just managed to get in, and all seems well.. for me, at least.

Fingers crossed. Right now it's fine for me too, but this morning it wasn't, and I've had it in the past week where one moment it's completely normal, then a few hours later it goes bonkers again so we'll see.

Its not back bone. If you run a tracert, you will see * which means not allowed to receive icmp information. The back bone is clean. DEVS, Support, what is going on?!!!!!

Why am I also seeing that this site is not secure on Edge? Has your SSL certs expired?

That’s not true at all. I’ve been running ping plotter through different connections and ISP’s and there are distinct issues going on in the US internet depending on what backbone you are routed and what routing you take.

Edited by TrixxieTriss