The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why am I outleveling my class missions and whole planets?

FrenchEinstein

If you skip all Heroics and Flashpoints you'll find that you are pretty evenly leveled with your missions. Basically they leveled the XP curve for soloists. Anyone who does group content and completes every single mission (including Bonus series) on every single planet will find themselves a bit higher than their Class stories on a regular basis.

It's not really that much of a problem though. The group stuff is still challenging and you still need a group to do it.

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

If you skip side quests and just do the main class quest path, you should be on target exactly with the leveling.

Anything you add beyond that will raise you above that level.

Which is fine really, just skip side quests on 2-3 planets, and then you get more playability next time through.

Hi there, I find myself outleveling my class missions without doing anything special beside running side quests. For example I'm a smuggler and left Ord Mantell at lvl 11 and found my first class quest to be level 9 on Corruscant and I haven't even started any other side-quest, flashpoint, PVP etc. I have even been carefull to not logout in a rest zone...

I had a worse experience with a previous character, who because of loggoing out in rest zones and doing a bit more side-mish outleveled a whole planet I was supposed to go for my main story arc... very annoying and gets boring fast.

Would be great if a dev could indicate if they are looking into it. I remember that the leveling progression was changed (made faster) at the last minute in beta and I wonder if what i've been experiencing (and maybe others) is an undesirable side effect that will be addressed soon?

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.

This isn't entirely a bad thing, especially if you solo your characters at all.

In the upper levels, the mobs really start hurting quite a bit, and having a bit of a cushion is not a bad thing.

Or if you are leveling a tank / healer, having a bit of cushion isn't bad either.

Don't forget compaion quests too. I levelled with a friend and did the companion quests as they came up (I also usually bought the first 2-4k affection since it was pretty cheap) and he had a heck of a time keeping up. The companion quests for me added up quite a bit on the first go around.

In reality though there should be more content than you need for levelling.... otherwise you'l be spending hours mobs grinding... not fun really.

Hi there, I find myself outleveling my class missions without doing anything special beside running side quests. For example I'm a smuggler and left Ord Mantell at lvl 11 and found my first class quest to be level 9 on Corruscant and I haven't even started any other side-quest, flashpoint, PVP etc. I have even been carefull to not logout in a rest zone...

I had a worse experience with a previous character, who because of loggoing out in rest zones and doing a bit more side-mish outleveled a whole planet I was supposed to go for my main story arc... very annoying and gets boring fast.

Would be great if a dev could indicate if they are looking into it. I remember that the leveling progression was changed (made faster) at the last minute in beta and I wonder if what i've been experiencing (and maybe others) is an undesirable side effect that will be addressed soon?

Your doing it RIGHT ;)

Most people have the other complaint of not being high enough.

My guess would be that missions give to much experience. They probity didn't expect people to try and do every quest they came across.

or they want you to be able to progress without doing space/fp/pvp. No one says you have to do every side quest. many people just arent anal about it and move along fine.

If you choose not to do heroics or flashpoints you will either be at the right level or under it slightly. I believe this is similar to many MMOs where they put in more quests than are necessary to level to the next area.

wrong!

If you do no pvp , heroics/ fps

you will still be well over level limit and growing every planet

If you intentionally avoid combat, dont do bonus missions, and only do about half of the side missions you will stay at level per planet

This complaint nothing new

Was a common complaint in Beta as well

But the instant gratification crowd wanted what they wanted and to hell with everyone else

Why am I outleveling my class missions and whole planets?

It's 'standard operating procedure' to supply the player with more leveling content than is needed, at least for the first 80% or so of levels. It allows the player some lateral mobility in content choices while leveling, and it provides a cushion for casual, less skilled, players, who can purposely surpass the quest-level as a game aid.

If they only supplied enough content to barely level you, then youd be stuck having to do all of the supplied content whether you liked it or not, even that one 'hated' heroic quest, or tedious grind quest, etc.

Choice is always better than no choice. My advice is just to try to have as much fun as possible while leveling and don't let grayed-out quests bother you one bit. As long as it's not your character's story questline: If you want to do them, do them, and if you dont feel like it, then abandon them. Do what YOU want to do.

Edited by Mechrophilia

I will speak from the experience of my Sith Assassin, which is the character I am currently levelling.

My assassin is currently just dinged level 41. So far, the following is what I have done that gains me appreciable experience:

-Every quest (including heroics and bonus series) on every planet except for two heroic 4s I could not find a group for on Tatooine (Call Down the Thunder and War on Spice).

-Two runs of Black Talon when at level, a run of Boarding Party at level, and a run and a half of Foundry at level (we wiped on the droid boss and our healer had soccer practice)

-One day worth of the Rakghoul invasion dailies except Plaguebearer and finding all 12 ship parts

I have not done any other FPs. I have not done any WZs. With that, I am still level 41 and just landed on Hoth, which is supposed to be 37-41.

I would say it seems almost certain that if you just do the non-heroic quests on every planet and run each FP one time at level, you should always be at level for a planet. Adding in all of the heroic quests or spamming FPs for gear or doing a bunch of PVP while levelling will put you aheadof pace.

I don't mind it - I think the quest levels are to prevent too much XP farming. If you notice, once you are 7 levels above the level of a quest, you only get 5 XP for doing it. I didn't realize that at first, and did a lot of side battling of random mobs to level up.

I think this is one reason the quests are color-coded. Gray means you are too high a level for the quest (but generally still can complete it for fun or other rewards). Green means you are in-line for the quest difficulty; Orange and Yellow mean the quest might be more difficult for your level than normal.

BJ

Yeah I ran into this problem while leveling my first toon, too.

I was 4-5 levels above where I should have been (according to the quest log). Never hit a flashpoint. Did heroic2's mostly. Skipped the 4 man ones.

But I did space dailies religiously (they are fun, for a while, at least).

Seems like if you complete all your bonus missions and don't skip quests, you will easily out level content. I was 50 half way thru Voss.

That's pretty much impossible unless you just aren't doing any of the side quests and bonus quests.

Skipping content to maintain par in levels is not really a good option.

I once played through the game as a Shadow. I did no bonus series, no heroics, no Flash Points, modest PvP and a lot of play time (meaning very little rest xp). I was overleveled through Coruscant, at par through Taris and Nar Shaddaa. After that I got more and more behind, peaking at 4 levels under level. I finished the game at 47.

If there was so little leveling content in the game that you would see it all without outleveling it, than it would be boring as hell when you level an alt.

For me leveling slowed down in the 20's. Now at 40, it's at a crawl (relative to earlier levels in swtor. Relative to previous games I've played, it's still extremely fast). I find myself facing orange class quests and having to go back and run through the previous planet's kill 10 rats-type quests in order to catch up.

For frame of reference, I don't pvp (never liked it in any game). I don't do space missions regularly (I find the space missions in swtor are repetitive and dull). I get my xp from quests and a flashpoint or two on the weekends.

Edited by Lunazen

Actually out-leveling your missions is the only way to get an authentic Star Wars experience.

I find that same level NPC's are a bit too hard and if you make one mistake on remembering your 40 or more separate powers you can easily die.

Then you respawn by hanging sadistically from a medical "Slobe" for 10 seconds and you better hit that Heal power the minute it let's you drop.

If any of the characters in the movie's had had a SWTOR type experience we never would have gotten beyond the first scenes.

I try to stay at least 3 levels above the NPC's.

I am a casual player and prefer the fun over having to study, perfect and master a class before I can enjoy the game.

This is my biggest complaint with SWTOR

I want a way to turn XP off so I can complete all the quests designed for a level range with a single character at the level it was designed to be played at

( and as you can imagine if this is my biggest complaint, then I am fairly happy with the game as a whole )

This is my biggest complaint with SWTOR

I want a way to turn XP off so I can complete all the quests designed for a level range with a single character at the level it was designed to be played at

( and as you can imagine if this is my biggest complaint, then I am fairly happy with the game as a whole )

Well you can complete them and get the gear and only get 5 xp if your level is too high.

With all of my characters I:

Do no pvp at all

Might run Esseles or BT a time or 2 at level, but other flashpoints I don't bother with

Do space missions up to level 20, but not past there

Will do Heroic 2's if I can solo them, don't bother with the 4's

Do the bonus series.

Do all other side quests.

My results:

3 levels above Coruscant when I leave.

5 levels above Taris when I leave

5 levels above Nar Shaddaa when I leave

6 levels above Tatooine when I leave

6 levels above Alderaan when I leave

There is an exception to this: My Vanguard. With that toon I skipped Taris, skipped Balmorra, and only did about half of Alderaan. I'm currently level 46 on Belsavis, so still 2 levels high for it, and I'll be 47 before I leave, I think. So... 3 levels high, in spite of skipping 2.5 planets and not doing any of the other "side things" that give more xp.