Renown Crates Are Worthless

Korithras

I play a lot of characters, just not in the same week.

It's more immersive to me to play a class story through beginning to end without breaking it up by playing other characters that are in different stages of story. To me that blurs things and I loose where I'm at on each toon. When I make a new char, I focus on that character for however long it takes me to get them through the story. I don't jump across multiple chars in a week. For me, that's fun, to focus on each chars romances and story.

I haven't seen a single set piece from conquest so I'll take your word for that.

No need to take my word for it:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1 million fee is steep, to put it mildly. But the current system is a lot better than previous systems for a lot of players including me. The previous ones were arcane, involved multiple currencies with individual acquisition methods, limits, and grinds. Anyone who played a limited time or had limited credits didn't fare much better under them either. Endgame gearing has been an expensive proposition always.

Don't touch anything from GTN other than augmentaion kits and augments; and those only if you want to do operations.

Bottomline: Expensive set bonus gear and augments are only required for challenging endgame activities; anyone interested in them (and many who are not) can make a lot of credits in the game.

^^^ right on !!

Thus far the renown system has consistently provided better gear for ALL of my alts and main characters ( 1 in each class) than all previous methods of equipping ... barring the vendor RNG (which I REALLY don't like and frankly consequently DON'T use !!

The only real beef(s) I have deals with:

** the better application(s) of the fragments. Once we have the gear we need it would be nice to have another group of items such as specialized decorations of sorts ( really nice stuff so they're something really sought after ... also BOP)

** being able to accumulate more than 10K in fragments.

In any case it beats the mindless grinds we use to have that resulted in tons of duplicated items that had zero value at all. At least this way there is some small return. ... And THAT would change if there were alternate items (as mentioned above) to spend the tech fragments on ! That WOULD make the crates much more valuable !

^^^ right on !!

Thus far the renown system has consistently provided better gear for ALL of my alts and main characters ( 1 in each class) than all previous methods of equipping ... barring the vendor RNG (which I REALLY don't like and frankly consequently DON'T use !!

The only real beef(s) I have deals with:

** the better application(s) of the fragments. Once we have the gear we need it would be nice to have another group of items such as specialized decorations of sorts ( really nice stuff so they're something really sought after ... also BOP)

** being able to accumulate more than 10K in fragments.

In any case it beats the mindless grinds we use to have that resulted in tons of duplicated items that had zero value at all. At least this way there is some small return. ... And THAT would change if there were alternate items (as mentioned above) to spend the tech fragments on ! That WOULD make the crates much more valuable !

There are alternate items to spend fragments on. There's a vendor in the supply section of both Fleets that sells all kinds of things. Top of the list are Embers and Isotopes, I'm not sure what else is in there, I haven't paid much attention beyond that, but I buy my Isotopes from them, since I no longer raid.

There are alternate items to spend fragments on. There's a vendor in the supply section of both Fleets that sells all kinds of things. Top of the list are Embers and Isotopes, I'm not sure what else is in there, I haven't paid much attention beyond that, but I buy my Isotopes from them, since I no longer raid.

Right idea .. just need a different group to select from!

(we're pretty much on the same page)

I wished i had this problem of too many frags. It seems i cant get a leg on getting them fast enough....but thats only because im way behind right now.

I need two more death knell shells to complete my 6 piece. Then i need irating badly. Then on to all the items to slot into the shells......i have a ways to go here. :/

In the meantime, i have horrible stats and a 276 irating. Keep digging i guess. :)

I wished i had this problem of too many frags. It seems i cant get a leg on getting them fast enough....but thats only because im way behind right now.

I need two more death knell shells to complete my 6 piece. Then i need irating badly. Then on to all the items to slot into the shells......i have a ways to go here. :/

In the meantime, i have horrible stats and a 276 irating. Keep digging i guess. :)

I'm behind you, at least as far as IRating goes. Last month I got my crafters to where I can craft the 276 stuff, and I'll probably start doing that, eventually, but right now, running Solo FPs, Heroics, and other goof off stuff, such as Story to SoR, etc., I'm finding that I'm dropping a lot of it that I can strip from assorted shells, and just move it around to characters that need it.

Of course, the other side of this is that while I'm working towards it, nothing I do really requires BiS for anything any more. I had to quit raiding due to how flashy everything's gotten, and it wreaks havoc on my migraines. So I'm just getting it to get it, and don't have to worry about how fast.

Do CQ on every toon you can, especially if they are in a guild that regularly reaches it's goal, any goal.

And do the usual , quick ops, fp's, etc :)

Do CQ on every toon you can, especially if they are in a guild that regularly reaches it's goal, any goal.

And do the usual , quick ops, fp's, etc :)

All my toon are severely behind. The rest arent even 75 yet. I also dont have the desire to do fp's and op's....im getting the gear on a main just because ive always had my deception sin well geared. Ill see where it goes from there. I really love to play a healing operative as well. If i hang out longer, that toon will be next.

I'm behind you, at least as far as IRating goes. Last month I got my crafters to where I can craft the 276 stuff, and I'll probably start doing that, eventually, but right now, running Solo FPs, Heroics, and other goof off stuff, such as Story to SoR, etc., I'm finding that I'm dropping a lot of it that I can strip from assorted shells, and just move it around to characters that need it.

Of course, the other side of this is that while I'm working towards it, nothing I do really requires BiS for anything any more. I had to quit raiding due to how flashy everything's gotten, and it wreaks havoc on my migraines. So I'm just getting it to get it, and don't have to worry about how fast.

Yes sir, exactly what im doing. Im not being pressured to rush into anything and so far even with my poor gear...ive had no issues with anything yet. I dont need the gear...i just want the gear. :)

All my toon are severely behind. The rest arent even 75 yet. I also dont have the desire to do fp's and op's....im getting the gear on a main just because ive always had my deception sin well geared. Ill see where it goes from there. I really love to play a healing operative as well. If i hang out longer, that toon will be next.

Yes sir, exactly what im doing. Im not being pressured to rush into anything and so far even with my poor gear...ive had no issues with anything yet. I dont need the gear...i just want the gear. :)

Yep, I just want it. I'm not entirely convinced it's not "force of habit", since I was a progression raider here at one point in time. :eek:

Yep, I just want it. I'm not entirely convinced it's not "force of habit", since I was a progression raider here at one point in time. :eek:

I think thats my issue. When i was here at launch, we all hurried to 50....so we could start raiding, it was important to get the best we could. We were all under a little pressure at the time. The next 5 years i raided here was some great times....and not so great other times. So yea, i agree its a force of habit lol.

I think thats why i have no desire for it now. it almost became a second job at times and ill never let that happen again. I do however want nice gear...and ill get it on my time...not somebody else's. :)

the only one i rushed to get was for my main, and even then, it was just 306, no min/max, and I just kept the old augments. After that, it was just a case of throwing the 306 set in the legacy bank, and using it on the lats, to get their own set...lol. But i don't do end game or pvp anymore, just the odd quick one man boss op

the only one i rushed to get was for my main, and even then, it was just 306, no min/max, and I just kept the old augments. After that, it was just a case of throwing the 306 set in the legacy bank, and using it on the lats, to get their own set...lol. But i don't do end game or pvp anymore, just the odd quick one man boss op

Agree, this is my set goal so far. I just achieved getting my 6 piece set of death knell. As of now i have all blues in the slots..irating 276. I hope the gear continues to get higher as it seems ive already hit a wall here. I havent seen anything higher than 278 items drop. I fell short of a couple additions last night while filling the shells up....i spent about 4 mill on a few items....nothing big deal at all.

Im sitting pretty good right now as far as the level of content im doing. Ive noticed faster killing already just by increasing 5 irating levels. Still have a ways to go....its fine though...i dont mind this speed of advancement.

Agree, this is my set goal so far. I just achieved getting my 6 piece set of death knell. As of now i have all blues in the slots..irating 276. I hope the gear continues to get higher as it seems ive already hit a wall here. I havent seen anything higher than 278 items drop. I fell short of a couple additions last night while filling the shells up....i spent about 4 mill on a few items....nothing big deal at all.

Nothing drops from dead enemies (except FP, UP, or OP bosses) that's better than 278, and 278 is catastrophically rare.

Do you have all your gear fully equipped with 278 mod-objects? Are your left-side pieces up to scratch? What about your weapons?

Buy stuff from the Spoils of War vendor that sells random pieces - it's *always* better than your Item Rating(1) (so buy for the lowest piece of gear, and buy Armorings/Mods/Enhancements for your armour). Yes, it costs Tech Frags, but what else are you going to use them for?

(1) Unless your Item Rating is 306, since there's nothing rated higher than that...

Nothing drops from dead enemies (except FP, UP, or OP bosses) that's better than 278, and 278 is catastrophically rare.

Do you have all your gear fully equipped with 278 mod-objects? Are your left-side pieces up to scratch? What about your weapons?

Buy stuff from the Spoils of War vendor that sells random pieces - it's *always* better than your Item Rating(1) (so buy for the lowest piece of gear, and buy Armorings/Mods/Enhancements for your armour). Yes, it costs Tech Frags, but what else are you going to use them for?

(1) Unless your Item Rating is 306, since there's nothing rated higher than that...

Ah okay, i didnt know that...thank you.

No, all the left hand stuff isnt 278. Wep is 278, i think....im not ingame atm. When im in a good spot with frags again, ill start rolling on that vendor. Thanks for the pointer. :)

Another question i feel i should know the answer to...(since i did this on the last command crate deal we had a while back)....but in case something has changed.....what should i expect from the renown and weekly crates. Will they climb an irating or two? Edited by HiltoftheDragon

Another question i feel i should know the answer to...(since i did this on the last command crate deal we had a while back)....but in case something has changed.....what should i expect from the renown and weekly crates. Will they climb an irating or two?

It's sort of random. BUT : The more stuff you run (ie. Heroics / FP's etc .. and get the goodies from weekly CQ's) the better stuff you will get and YES improve your i-rating. ALSO: save mods that drop. You can use those to upgrade "modable" (SP?) gear and even weapons ! If a weapon drops that you don't like and it contains mods that you like .. just save it back and you might eventually see the "need" to strip the mods out of it and use them in something you DO like.

I hope this helps a little too !!

Best of luck !

It's sort of random. BUT : The more stuff you run (ie. Heroics / FP's etc .. and get the goodies from weekly CQ's) the better stuff you will get and YES improve your i-rating. ALSO: save mods that drop. You can use those to upgrade "modable" (SP?) gear and even weapons ! If a weapon drops that you don't like and it contains mods that you like .. just save it back and you might eventually see the "need" to strip the mods out of it and use them in something you DO like.

I hope this helps a little too !!

Best of luck !

It does....thank you. :)

I have no idea how conquest crates work because I am currently done with guilds and conquests, so I haven't received anything besides personal reward. but renown crates? You'd have to be lucky to receive a set bonus gear to begin with, and then its the question of having 5 more pieces and having the bonus you actually want...

Really? Most of my alts have been geared with drops from the crates. I do upgrade the mods with the tech from the tech vendor but most of my gear has been through the crates especially for my alts.

Really? Most of my alts have been geared with drops from the crates. I do upgrade the mods with the tech from the tech vendor but most of my gear has been through the crates especially for my alts.

I had some good luck with my crates as well.....i received two death knell pieces...one each in a crate. :)

It saved me a ton of frags.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned to SWTOR and my view of RENOWN is JUNK at best 98% of time so thus it is a waste of time and effort to even work on RENOWN CRATES.

How fun it is to open a crate and see pure junk for 1 hour work? At best you worked for scrap.

Tell me how is that FUN for a game?

Just returned to SWTOR and my view of RENOWN is JUNK at best 98% of time so thus it is a waste of time and effort to even work on RENOWN CRATES.

How fun it is to open a crate and see pure junk for 1 hour work? At best you worked for scrap.

Tell me how is that FUN for a game?

So how many things did you do that you wouldn't have done if the system didn't exist at all? Since renown is the "at cap" version of xp, and crates are awarded for simply playing the game, why are you wasting your time playing? You're at cap, so it's not for leveling, BiS gear can come from just about anywhere, or can even be purchased with Tech Fragments and credits, so it's not like the old days, where we'd grind Ops for BiS gear. They're a bonus for playing the game, and that's it. I've gotten lots of scrap, and tech fragments from it, but I've also pulled a few pieces of set gear too. All for doing things I was going to be doing anyway.