Renown Crates Are Worthless

Korithras

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Thanks for the info.

I am not in any guild though and since now I barely do anything in the game except getting my many various alts up on the story I just dont see a point in joining conquest guilds:) Probably should have joined a guild BEFORE I grinded my 306 IR, but oh well....

was never a fan of conquest. it was cool when it came out for everyone to get their planetary titles (if they wanted it), but now the whole game is built around it. it's also sort of a wet dream for players who just want an easy ("casual"), laid back ("monotonous"?) experience. you can get it pushing competitive/difficult content too, but it isn't cost effective if it's prog. there's nothing wrong with that per se. it's just not the the particular hamster wheel I care for.

As far as I know....

What is in the crate is determined when you open it, but the item rating is set when you received the crate.

So No, if you keep a crate with a gear rating of 260, it will not become 300 when you open it. It will still be 260 rating.

Incorrect, as stated before the iRating of the Items is only determinated when you open it or, for modable Gear, when you move it from the Stash to your inventory.

It's all in the title. Command Caches if they didn't provide upgrades at least provided other things like pieces of armor sets you could use for transmogging or sell on the GTN, scrap, mounts/pets, and companion gifts. Even if the gear was worthless, at least you had a better chance of getting something somewhat useful.

Aside from maybe the first five levels of renown? The crates have been useless since. To the point where I haven't even bothered to look at what I get, I just open the box and disintegrate whatever's inside to get the box out of my inventory to keep it from taking up space. I can get better upgrades from warzone/GSF boxes or just farming a flashpoint like Traitor Among the Chiss on solo mode for decorations.

Don't take a lesson from the Anthem team on loot, just stick to how things were with command crates. It was a better system.

The crates were de-tuned so people wouldn't freak out when Command/Renown crates were aggressively re-monetized in 6.0 (two simultaneous, compounding, monetized consumables are now necessary to fully un-nerf progression/crates).

We're being groomed to accept monetized gearing, and the crates will likely become much richer over time.

was talking with an in-game friend of mine yesterday, how superior command crates were in comparison to renown crates, since they provided real, reasonable gear progresion and if they didn t because you had what was inside the crate already, there was other items like comp.gifts of good quality (purple rank 5, not green rank 3, like with the login gifts) as well as armor sets and weapons that weren t available in-game any other way anymore...

Renown doesn t even recognize your GS and usually gives you stuff 2-4 levels below !!!

Design-team must have been high while deciding this, also the QA and whoever waved this shmit through... i just open to destroy them now, which is ... schizophrenic

Edited by Dimitir

The crates were de-tuned so people wouldn't freak out when Command/Renown crates were aggressively re-monetized in 6.0 (two simultaneous, compounding, monetized consumables are now necessary to fully un-nerf progression/crates).

We're being groomed to accept monetized gearing, and the crates will likely become much richer over time.

Since Renown crates are essentially worthless (by design), it isn't remotely "monetised gearing"(1). If you want to see monetised gearing, go look at ArcheAge or Runes of Magic.

(1) There's also the point that Renown XP boosts can be bought in the Legacy panel for credits, and from the vendor on the Fleet for Tech Frags, both of which are awarded by gameplay.

Returning player that used to be in a Raid Guild and PVP but NO ONE IS ON ANYMORE!

Do not feel like starting over so what happens?

Work my tail off to get to 66 and I get a crate I can not open, most stupid idea ever created on Earth!

I worked all that much for what? Something I can not use and open.

Tell me who is the moron that got this really stupid idea?

So looked up chapter and of course they design it for PROFESSIONALS that played game for YEARS!

Could you be more stupid to returning players? Really what is the goal to just ruin the game for them?

Are you talking about the Locked crates from heroics???

It has exactly *nothing* to do with what you call "PROFESSIONALS that played game for YEARS", and everything to do with completing Chapter IX of the five-year-old Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion, which is easy-mode (especially for experienced people who play raids and PvP(1)) main-story content designed for level 60-65 characters. Completing that chapter unlocks access to the NPCs who can open the crates.

The rest of this thread is talking about Renown crates, which any level 75 character can earn and open without help.

Also, by what standard does getting to level 66 count as "working my tail off"?

(1) Who might I be talking about here? It isn't *me*, that's for sure. I'm experienced, but I am in no way a raider, nor a dedicated PvPer.

Since Renown crates are essentially worthless (by design), it isn't remotely "monetised gearing"(1). If you want to see monetised gearing, go look at ArcheAge or Runes of Magic.

(1) There's also the point that Renown XP boosts can be bought in the Legacy panel for credits, and from the vendor on the Fleet for Tech Frags, both of which are awarded by gameplay.

A non-monetized grind doesn't erase the presence of a monetized mechanic.

The monetized mechanic exists for a reason, and it's not in our interest.

Edited by FlatTax

A non-monetized grind doesn't erase the presence of a monetized mechanic.

The monetized mechanic exists for a reason, and it's not in our interest.

Since the item that would count as "monetized" can be purchased in game with currencies that can only be obtained by playing the game, unless you visit gold seller websites, then no. Unless I missed the page in the CS that has tech frags and credits for sale?

This.

Please don't sit on your fragments, they are the most valuable currency in the game right now. Some classes have amazing sets/tacticals which make them so much better. Especially if you are playing more than one class, you will need every fragment you can get for now.

Not everyone can afford 1mil per bit of gear from the vendor to use up the frags,

I have 11mil total across all characters.

Worst gearing system ever, they just wanted a credit sink.

Didn't work. GTN prices are worse then ever. All it ever has done is screw over people who didn't already have billions of creds, even more so because on top of it they LOWERED the rate in which you gain creds playing.

Edited by Suzsi

Not everyone can afford 1mil per bit of gear from the vendor to use up the frags,

I have 11mil total across all characters.

Worst gearing system ever, they just wanted a credit sink.

Didn't work. GTN prices are worse then ever. All it ever has done is screw over people who didn't already have billions of creds, even more so because on top of it they LOWERED the rate in which you gain creds playing.

The 1 million fee is steep, to put it mildly. But the current system is a lot better than previous systems for a lot of players including me. The previous ones were arcane, involved multiple currencies with individual acquisition methods, limits, and grinds. Anyone who played a limited time or had limited credits didn't fare much better under them either. Endgame gearing has been an expensive proposition always.

Don't touch anything from GTN other than augmentaion kits and augments; and those only if you want to do operations.

Bottomline: Expensive set bonus gear and augments are only required for challenging endgame activities; anyone interested in them (and many who are not) can make a lot of credits in the game.

Edited by mike_carton

You get so much money with just playing. 1kk + per finished conquest char each week.

So much jawa scrap which you can sell.

Legendary Ember goes for a lot of money.

Mats are so expensive if you farm them for 2-3 hours you also have a lot of money.

Open your renown chest,get the loot disnintegrate the loot and get embers+ jawa scrap and sell that.

Buy embers with TF etc etc.

There are many easy ways to make money atm that 1kk per piece is nothing.

You get so much money with just playing. 1kk + per finished conquest char each week.

So much jawa scrap which you can sell.

Legendary Ember goes for a lot of money.

Mats are so expensive if you farm them for 2-3 hours you also have a lot of money.

Open your renown chest,get the loot disnintegrate the loot and get embers+ jawa scrap and sell that.

Buy embers with TF etc etc.

There are many easy ways to make money atm that 1kk per piece is nothing.

I actually had sets on my main characters with the command gearing system, just from playing my way.

Not even close this time, and won't be without stepping way outside of my normal play.

The current system has totally stepped away from play your way into grind a bunch of credits doing conquest etc *shrug* Thanks but no thanks!

Although I don't *need* them, it was nice to have them for once just doing the things I liked to do (Story and Heroics on a couple of fav chars).

Edited by Suzsi

I actually had sets on my main characters with the command gearing system, just from playing my way.

Not even close this time, and won't be without stepping way outside of my normal play.

The current system has totally stepped away from play your way into grind a bunch of credits doing conquest etc *shrug* Thanks but no thanks!

Although I don't *need* them, it was nice to have them for once just doing the things I liked to do (Story and Heroics on a couple of fav chars).

You know, throw in PvE space stuff, and some solo mode FPs, and this is exactly how I play. This morning, I logged in, did some "catch up" crafting on my new Armstech, and swapped over to some mains. I logged out about 5 minutes ago from now, 8:40 AM CST, and I had completed Conquest on 3 toons. I did some heroics, some PvE space, and gave a comp a gift. On one of them, I hit the first tier of missions, 35, for 225kish Conquest.

This system very much allows for "Play your way", and since I am playing my way, there is no "grind". I have a very different definition of "grind" however. I'm used to "grind" meaning that it can take upwards of a month to gain a single level. Where 4 hours of killing the same mobs over and over will net you 1% of a level, and don't die, because a death can lose you 4%. So when something takes a half hour to accomplish, I'm not feeling that it's a "grind".

Right now, I'm looking at having to either start melting some set gear, or buying some more legacy space, because the page that I dedicated to the sets is almost full, and I haven't purchased any for credits/tech fragments. This in about 6 weeks of daily play, and doesn't factor in the characters that are actually wearing completed sets, or have pieces stored in personal bays while I wait to get the ones I need.

You know, throw in PvE space stuff, and some solo mode FPs, and this is exactly how I play. This morning, I logged in, did some "catch up" crafting on my new Armstech, and swapped over to some mains. I logged out about 5 minutes ago from now, 8:40 AM CST, and I had completed Conquest on 3 toons. I did some heroics, some PvE space, and gave a comp a gift. On one of them, I hit the first tier of missions, 35, for 225kish Conquest.

This system very much allows for "Play your way", and since I am playing my way, there is no "grind". I have a very different definition of "grind" however. I'm used to "grind" meaning that it can take upwards of a month to gain a single level. Where 4 hours of killing the same mobs over and over will net you 1% of a level, and don't die, because a death can lose you 4%. So when something takes a half hour to accomplish, I'm not feeling that it's a "grind".

Right now, I'm looking at having to either start melting some set gear, or buying some more legacy space, because the page that I dedicated to the sets is almost full, and I haven't purchased any for credits/tech fragments. This in about 6 weeks of daily play, and doesn't factor in the characters that are actually wearing completed sets, or have pieces stored in personal bays while I wait to get the ones I need.

I dont play multiple toons like that though. Sometimes I can spend a week or two, even more on the same toon doing story because I like the story to flow not chop and change from one to another.

When I do Heroics I like to do them on my main jedi and take Theron along and do every heroic which might take me a few days etc

With the set items actually dropping in command crates I was able to gear up my main char doing this. Got all drops from the crates and the last one from the vendor. Could focus on the one character without jumping all over the place. Since they made heroics take even longer and nerfed the amount of credits gained from armor drops theyre barely even worth doing solo anymore.

Each to their own but I loved the command crates, esp during double xp and hate renown. Something about command worked for me and my playstyle where renown does not and Ossus definitely didn't..

Edited by Suzsi

I dont play multiple toons like that though. Sometimes I can spend a week or two, even more on the same toon doing story because I like the story to flow not chop and change from one to another.

When I do Heroics I like to do them on my main jedi and take Theron along and do every heroic which might take me a few days etc

With the set items actually dropping in command crates I was able to gear up my main char doing this. Got all drops from the crates and the last one from the vendor. Could focus on the one character without jumping all over the place. Since they made heroics take even longer and nerfed the amount of credits gained from armor drops theyre barely worth doing solo anymore.

This will be a great week for you then, since it's dedicated to just doing missions, any missions. The bonus missions on PvE space counted as individual missions for Conquest this week. The bonus missions on Heroics also counted. So any Story missions with Bonus will also count. You'd be surprised how fast you can wrack up 35 missions, being counted this way. Starting at 0, I made Conquest on my Smuggler just doing the heroics on Ord Mantell. The second tier pays less, but is also only 25 missions each, infinitely repeatable. Even with just a couple of toons, you can be well on your way. This would also be a good week to start a new toon if there's a class you really want to play, since once you make level 10, you'll be able to wrack up Conquest really fast. They don't do a lot if you're starting at 0, but they do add to your credit stash.

Added bonus, it's Bounty week, so you can take a break from the norm, and do some bounties too. Added bonus of extra rep, which is 41kish a day for turn ins.

This will be a great week for you then, since it's dedicated to just doing missions, any missions. The bonus missions on PvE space counted as individual missions for Conquest this week. The bonus missions on Heroics also counted. So any Story missions with Bonus will also count. You'd be surprised how fast you can wrack up 35 missions, being counted this way. Starting at 0, I made Conquest on my Smuggler just doing the heroics on Ord Mantell. The second tier pays less, but is also only 25 missions each, infinitely repeatable. Even with just a couple of toons, you can be well on your way. This would also be a good week to start a new toon if there's a class you really want to play, since once you make level 10, you'll be able to wrack up Conquest really fast. They don't do a lot if you're starting at 0, but they do add to your credit stash.

Added bonus, it's Bounty week, so you can take a break from the norm, and do some bounties too. Added bonus of extra rep, which is 41kish a day for turn ins.

I did conquest already on the character I'm playing right now. Was it supposed to help me? Because it really doesnt unless you like swapping toons often.

I dont do bounties or Rakgoul etc not my thing to do.

Edited by Suzsi

I did conquest already on the character I'm playing right now. Was it supposed to help me? Because it really doesnt unless you like swapping toons often.

I dont do bounties or Rakgoul etc not my thing to do.

Yes, it helps you. It's 100k credits, Tech Fragments, and a chance at set gear. Last week I was going to buy a piece of set gear for one of my sages, and decided to wait until I'd finished my Conquest. Opened the crate, and got the piece I had planned to buy. Yeah, that's luck, to the extreme. However, that's where my pieces are coming from. I chose to push through those toons today, but I generally don't wrap up all my toons until Friday, or Saturday, depending on how much play time I actually get. In the meantime, I work on wrapping up stories, making stuff I need for lowbies, goofing off in PvE space for comms, the things I've been doing since before there was Conquest, minus progression raiding, that I no longer do.

Note: I play a lot of toons, but I play them because I like them, not because I need to make Conquest every week. I'm not in a guild, and I'm not looking to be, because I'm fixing to be gone, again, for a few months, at least. The new ME release is coming right after my birthday, and I'm going to be really busy with that. Since I have no pressure, I can dedicate a day to leveling my new "Mission Vao themed" smuggler, or my "finally taking the LS plunge" SW. They don't even get cap gear crates, since one of them is 20, and the other is 30ish. I play to have fun, and I do have fun, even when I'm knocking out 3 or 4 toons a day on Conquest, which is just a way for me to make credits and Tech Frags, which I use to buy Isotopes, right now, since I no longer raid.

Yes, it helps you. It's 100k credits, Tech Fragments, and a chance at set gear..

I don't have as many toons here as most, nor do I sub that often, I play mostly pref, with the odd sub for special events, promos. But I took a break for a while, and when I came back, I was surprised how many credits I earned from conquest, not just that, but all the extra stuff. It even got me playing stuff I wouldn't normally.

Don't touch anything from GTN other than augmentaion kits and augments; and those only if you want to do operations.

Bottomline: Expensive set bonus gear and augments are only required for challenging endgame activities; anyone interested in them (and many who are not) can make a lot of credits in the game.

do augments raise repair cost?

I don't have as many toons here as most, nor do I sub that often, I play mostly pref, with the odd sub for special events, promos. But I took a break for a while, and when I came back, I was surprised how many credits I earned from conquest, not just that, but all the extra stuff. It even got me playing stuff I wouldn't normally.

Yup, there's a lot more money in the game, and if you do CQ on multiple chars, you can net some nice creds.

do augments raise repair cost?

I've never seen any damage on my augments, but it's an interesting question.

Edited by DarkTergon

Yes, it helps you. It's 100k credits, Tech Fragments, and a chance at set gear. Last week I was going to buy a piece of set gear for one of my sages, and decided to wait until I'd finished my Conquest. Opened the crate, and got the piece I had planned to buy. Yeah, that's luck, to the extreme. However, that's where my pieces are coming from. I chose to push through those toons today, but I generally don't wrap up all my toons until Friday, or Saturday, depending on how much play time I actually get. In the meantime, I work on wrapping up stories, making stuff I need for lowbies, goofing off in PvE space for comms, the things I've been doing since before there was Conquest, minus progression raiding, that I no longer do.

Note: I play a lot of toons, but I play them because I like them, not because I need to make Conquest every week. I'm not in a guild, and I'm not looking to be, because I'm fixing to be gone, again, for a few months, at least. The new ME release is coming right after my birthday, and I'm going to be really busy with that. Since I have no pressure, I can dedicate a day to leveling my new "Mission Vao themed" smuggler, or my "finally taking the LS plunge" SW. They don't even get cap gear crates, since one of them is 20, and the other is 30ish. I play to have fun, and I do have fun, even when I'm knocking out 3 or 4 toons a day on Conquest, which is just a way for me to make credits and Tech Frags, which I use to buy Isotopes, right now, since I no longer raid.

I play a lot of characters, just not in the same week.

It's more immersive to me to play a class story through beginning to end without breaking it up by playing other characters that are in different stages of story. To me that blurs things and I loose where I'm at on each toon. When I make a new char, I focus on that character for however long it takes me to get them through the story. I don't jump across multiple chars in a week. For me, that's fun, to focus on each chars romances and story.

I haven't seen a single set piece from conquest so I'll take your word for that.

Edited by Suzsi