Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Time to let imp and republic classes guild/group together

Lhancelot

Republic / imperial has already been so watered down it barely has an impact any more

I got Pubs as companions, in my alliance, as teammates in warzones and there is nothing you can do about it as a Sith.

They should go the opposite way and make the factions matter again.

This will eventually happen when the population gets too small to segregate. It'll be a last resort sort of thing though because it's Star Wars. Probably one more server merger before this. Keeping the factions separate is fine for immersion and RP and all that but when you you don't have a big enough pool of players for group finder to function it'll happen. With that said though, when EQ2 did it there wasn't a shortage pf players but it really improved group play and guilds drastically.

This will eventually happen when the population gets too small to segregate. It'll be a last resort sort of thing though because it's Star Wars. Probably one more server merger before this. Keeping the factions separate is fine for immersion and RP and all that but when you you don't have a big enough pool of players for group finder to function it'll happen. With that said though, when EQ2 did it there wasn't a shortage pf players but it really improved group play and guilds drastically.

I think for the amount of work they'd need to do to make cross-faction guilds/teams, they will just shut the game down if the pop takes that big of a hit.

It would be interesting though, if they somehow made it possible for imps/pubs to group and guild.

I think for the amount of work they'd need to do to make cross-faction guilds/teams

At one point, players in opposite factions in Everquest 2 couldn't mail or communicate with each other, much less be in the same guild or group.

Today they can be in the same guild and group together and all the rest. If one software house can do it, another can.

At one point, players in opposite factions in Everquest 2 couldn't mail or communicate with each other, much less be in the same guild or group.

Today they can be in the same guild and group together and all the rest. If one software house can do it, another can.

Yeah I don't doubt BW's dev abilities, I think they are capable of doing anything in the game.

I just don't think the ones running the show want to put the effort into things like this, though. But who knows? I didn't think they'd ever do cross-faction WZs and they actually did that.

Unless there's a boom in the population in the coming year, I can see this as their last resort to keep the server(s) alive. Maybe they should RNG their paychecks and make it random as to what they'll be paid. :eek: And then perhaps they'll understand the players disdain regarding the gearing system. ;) All kidding aside, they are making changes, which is good.

Practically it would make allot of sense, for both guilds and groups since more people that can be connected the easier it is to find people for content.

Even for a roleplay prospective. If people Roleplay and make Roleplay guilds wouldn't it just give them more options for people to have conflicts with Sith vs Jedi.

Saying this; While guilds might happen eventually actual groups won't happen since its tied 2 much into the game.

What if my sith was to summon a Jedi to DK. can my Jedi now do the DK heroics with him?

all for the guild thing -- it was awful in EQ2 at first -- we couldn't send mail, talk, or group up; much less be in the same guild ...

ok, yes I know -- immersion -- but lets face it -- game play doesn't lead to immersion I have found ... we do things over and over game play wise ... what is the difference ?

let Empire and Republic be in the same guild .... we can't be in the same fleet ? ok, then meet in the guild hall --

group up and zone in for ops -- come on, if EQ2 can do it, it is possible

Guilds should be allowed to have all classes in them. We already got cross-faction teams in WZs... plus from a realistic standpoint it makes sense.

I mean why can a trooper not work for the empire? Why could a sith not work with the Republic? Why are our characters forced to stay on one side or the other? It doesn't make any sense.

They could have group finder allow all classes to do FPs and Ops together, too, plus there would be a lot more options available for RPers to explore if guilds allowed all classes into them and all classes could group.

It does make sense under the right contexts. Ie, when we had the Alliance story arc going.

It also makes sense if your character has decided to side with the other faction after the Alliance arc.

It also makes sense if you are a dark Jedi or even a Sith gone light. Wether that means you become the opposite class, ie Jedi to Sith or Sith to Jedi is a whole other topic.

It makes sense if you’re a Merc and decide to go lightside or maybe even stay neutral.

It makes sense if you’re a smuggler helping smuggle goods for the empire instead of republic.

It even makes sense as a trooper switching sides like most of Havoc do in the first trooper chapter

It makes sense as an agent if you get turned by the republic (like we kind of already have happening)

It makes sense for a storm trooper to switch sides like Fin does in the movies (oh wait, we don’t have Storm troopers :()

It makes sense if you are going to play pvp together to be able to form groups outside of matches or pure pvp guilds.

What doesn’t make sense is if characters are still completely loyal to opposite sides. Under those conditions, they should not be allowed to be guided or grouped together.

But I do think if any of those other factors are in play, then there is no reason (especially SW canon reason) that Imp and republic classes couldn’t be grouped or guided together. It could be done as long as there were stipulated guide lines and mechanics in place that only allowed it to happen when special conditions were met.

It'll be a last resort sort of thing though because it's Star Wars. Probably one more server merger before this.

Ive already predicted this will happen when they moved the west coast servers to the east coast. When it gets time for that last server merge, all servers, both EU and US will be merged into one east coast server.

It’s the only logical reason for moving both US servers to the east coast instead of a more central location or keeping them apart.

By having them on the east coast, it’s much easier for EU players to swallow a US server merge than making them merge across a greater distance.

The system is already in place, all it takes now is the trigger of total server populations collapsing or declining significantly enough to warrant shutting down servers to consolidate the remaining player base and essentially saving Bioware money from running 5 servers.

Mark my words, it will happen. The question of course will always be when.

• 4 months later...
I would actually argue that the beauty of Star Wars is in its simplicity. That's not to say complex topics of grey areas cannot be explored. But the force is Dark and Light. It can be deconstructed and criticized (as KOTOR 2 did), but the two sides of the force always remain constant in any Star Wars story.

All of this is speaking from a lore point of view, of course. Which matters a lot to many people, myself included. So I gotta say no to this idea. Maybe if another Star Wars MMO was made with this in mind, then absolutely yeah. But a change this drastic, this late in the game? I really don't think it would work.

well if we want to get into disney's version of the force, the force is not Dark or Light, the force is just the force, implicating that only those that use it for Light or Dark reasons are the Dark side/Light side, not the force itself.

if anything that actually makes more sense, Power corrupts, there are more powerful sides of the force, more advanced such as essence transfer, force lightning... ect... they're more advanced and powerful, thus for those less trained in the ability of self control are more likely to use more advanced abilities of the force for dark reasons, this makes sense for the sith since their main goal is to literally become more powerful, the Jedi have labeled the more advanced powers of the force as dark side simply because they do not understand how to properly control themselves from letting power go to their heads.

The force is just the force, there is no light, there is no dark, there are only those who can control power and those who cannot.

Edited by MitchellNew

I agree. It gets old maintaining two guilds and their strongholds / flagships / conquests runs / etc. just for one player population.

Everything gets "old". If they did merge the factions you would eventually say "It gets old maintaining a guild ...."

You might also end up wishing you could go back to having separate factions just so you could have more flagships, conquest runs, strongholds etc. How many people are already on here wanting more guild strongholds?

In any case, such a thing would require major changes to the SWTOR software, which may not even be possible with the current engine, and would most likely add a whole new world of bugs if it could be.

And, as I said before, it really wouldn't make sense from a lore aspect (and not really much sense from a gameplay perspective either.)

Edited by JediQuaker

Everything gets "old". If they did merge the factions you would eventually say "It gets old maintaining a guild ...."

You might also end up wishing you could go back to having separate factions just so you could have more flagships, conquest runs, strongholds etc. How many people are already on here wanting more guild strongholds?

In any case, such a thing would require major changes to the SWTOR software, which may not even be possible with the current engine, and would most likely add a whole new world of bugs if it could be.

And, as I said before, it really wouldn't make sense from a lore aspect (and not really much sense from a gameplay perspective either.)

I ran a guild from 2007-2014 in EQ2 and I've been running 2 guilds in SWTOR nonstop since April of 2014. That's 13, almost 14 years of non-stop maintaining one or more guilds as a GL. If it was going to get old for me to do so, it would have gotten old for me by now.

Duplicity of effort to support the same player population is a bit asinine, considerations of story or other game content-related reasons be damned.

Edited by xordevoreaux

This will probable come in a future update to make cross faction queuing for pve content a thing. Just takes awhile with their resources. Funny this is also a much demanded feature in WoW as well right now. Most likely BW will provide a way for any content that is the same on both sides.

Not sure why I didn't notice this thread until now? Oh, I think I had been kidnapped by WoW Classic at the time.

Anyways...

I would very much love to see this. The classes in this game can be quite complex. And while I am not a huge fan of SWTOR's class design, each and every spec speaks to someone, as if they add character. Some specs I cannot stand, others do really well in. Then there are those I do well in.

In regard to the original post, such an implementation would benefit me greatly, because I main a tank and healer on Pubside, but my DPS toon is on Impside. I do not like the specs I have chosen for my DPS toons on Pubside, and I don't change specs; they ARE who my characters are. If I could bring my DPS to runs and whatnot on Pubside, it would allow me to group up and raid with any guild on either faction with these same three toons, regardless of their faction, and thus prevent me from having to join multiple guilds just to play on both.

And with that being said, it's no big deal that this is not the case yet, since guilds only really do Storymode stuff, but the above is assuming that PvE guilds sprung like flowers in the summer, hence providing a reason for my desire even if hypothetical.

Even here, it seems people arent able to diferentiate lore from gameplay.

Yes, i think it would be good for the game, cause what we have here at the end of the day is human players, not sith or jedi. People like to imerse themselves and forget that reality.

In the story itself they are the only hero. No one else exists. But hey... sith and jedi mixed in a guild... the lore oh noes! More like what if heros in the same guild with no connection. Even guilds aren't lore! But hey...

Edited by Nemmar

So eventually you want the game to move from Republic versus Imperial, to Rep/Imp versus Imp/Rep. 😋

This has no impact on the lore. I wish you could understand that they are completely different things.

The world we have when we are doing story cut-scenes in our phases is in no way impacted by who we group with doing repeatable content.

Edited by Nemmar

This has no impact on the lore. I wish you could understand that they are completely different things.

The world we have when we are doing story cut-scenes in our phases is in no way impacted by who we group with doing repeatable content.

I'm not referring to the story, when I mention "lore". I'm referring to the very basic fact that the whole Star Wars universe is based upon the battle between Sith and Jedi. To me, it would be sort of like having the terrorists and anti-terrorists on the same team in Counter-strike - it just doesn't "fit".

But anyway, my personal opinion on the subject is "I don't care". I was simply pointing out the obvious anti-lore aspects that would bother many players. Overall, I think that cross faction grouping would have an overall negative affect on the game.

I think that cross faction grouping would have an overall negative affect on the game.

I'll check again to be sure, but I don't believe there's a device attached to my computer and subsequently attached to my arm that will hoist my arm behind my back at a painful angle should I not want to do anything cross-faction. It would remain a choice, just as joining an RP versus ERP versus PvE versus PVP versus casual guild is a choice. People will migrate where they want to migrate.

In a cross-factional guild system, if a guild advertises they only recruit one faction to their guild, bully for them, that's their choice, and there would be no more of a negative effect for it, as no one's stopping anyone from joining a single-faction guild. For those who want to stay in single-faction guilds, let them. I'm sure there will be plenty of guilds that see being single-faction as a positive differentiator.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.