Playable race : Voss

DavidAtkinson

There's a small 2-sentence bullet at the bottom of this reddit post regarding Voss as a 3rd neutral faction: https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/bt7avm/deep_dive_canceled_swtor_content/.

I wonder if that has anything to do with why the Voss were never made to be a playable race.

PS - wb kodrac

That's a lot of great content cancelled... :eek:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that could get me to drag another character from 1 to 75 (I'm talking about all of that story content) is not Voss, but playable Kel Dor.

I'd love that, especially since I have always wanted a Kel Dor Jedi Consular. The problem with the Kel Dor however lies in the physiology of their mouths and the breathing masks. The most obvious cutscenes it would clash with are of course romantic ones, where characters kiss. Perhaps this could be solved by an earlier fade-out of the scene, for example at the moment when the characters embrace to signify something romantic is going to go down in a second.

But otherwise, I'd be all for the Kel Dor becoming playable!

Hitting the nail right on the head there, mate. I completely agree.

Then your are wrong too.

You just don't like the idea of Voss playable characters. The arguments against it are senseless. You think every Voss is a mindless robot, enslaved to the Mystics. Thats not even true in any of the storylines.

Then your are wrong too.

You just don't like the idea of Voss playable characters. The arguments against it are senseless. You think every Voss is a mindless robot, enslaved to the Mystics. Thats not even true in any of the storylines.

You're free to speak your own thoughts, but don't ever presume to know what I think or feel. You have no idea what my thoughts are.

Would I want the Voss to be a playable race? Sure as heck I would. But I am also realistic in knowing that it won't happen for exactly the arguments and reasons that have been provided. You are free to ignore them at your will, but ignoring the arguments that have been presented to you will not make them wrong or remove them from reality. The Voss will not become a playable race for the reasons that have been listed by myself and others. Would we want reality to be different? Of course, I would have loved to play a Voss.

But it will simply not happen in the current environment SWTOR is in.

Then your are wrong too.

Grammar that makes my eyes bleed aside, this is not a well constructed argument and completely dismisses the reasonable points made by just about everyone in the thread. I suggest you go and play (or replay) through ALL EIGHT class stories and pay attention to EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS in those stories during the Voss planet acts so you fully understand the issues.

I love the Voss - they are my favourite alien race in swtor. Way back ages ago in another "Voss for characters" type thread I was all for Voss becoming a playable race and still am, BUT I recognised then & now there is the problem of the Voss being playable player characters in the standard/original class stories (especially the agent & smuggler stories for reasons I won't spoil here) and most if not all of the later story-lines. For the Voss to work, they'd need their own separate story not aligned to any current faction (including a neutral or saboteur alliance since we're forced to pick Emp or Rep anyway) so unless BW/SWTOR has a completely separate Voss character story planned for a future expansion (I hope they do) then the Voss will not work as characters in any current story.

Then your are wrong too.

Since you're quoting Ylliarus, I will, too:

I admit I would love to see the Voss as a playable species

Just in case you decide to rag on *me* about not really wanting this, I also refer you to the last line of a post I made in 2017 on the very same subject, playable Voss:

Overall, then, it's a no, which is a pity. I'd love to play one of those blue/red Voss women.
Edited by SteveTheCynic

Ugh, couldn't care less about a voss.... like I have noooooooooooo interest in it or other more alien looking species.

Need to focus on near-human species that are pretty easy to make.

Zeltron: take Human and just enable pink to reddish skin choices & called it Zeltron - done.

Keshiri: same thing but with purple - done.

...... so far, these are the 2 most asked for near-human species I've seen. Would love to redo my mains in both pink and the other purple species. Really want a Zeltron most of all.

Probably some other species that are only require a change in skin color & possibly hair color to be called a different species, that's an easy enough fix that enables

a lot of play value,

especially compared to much more complicated not-near-human species of ones that have heads that require a lot of work and are hit or miss: no voss or rodian, please, BioWare.

Also, half-Sith&half-human, which Naga Sadow was, looks interesting and again, easier to make and would love to have. Take Sith and make the skin pale to reddish -pale, tone down the Sith features. it'll give players more Needed character creation options that enable much more play value and

immersion.

Edited by BlackSilverDawn

Really want a Zeltron most of all.

You might get your wish at some point as all evidence points to

Darth Rivix being Zeltron because Vector picks up that Rivix has unseen abilities and an unnatural charm during the Vector cut scene in 6.1 - huge spoiler video

that strongly hints at Rivix being Zeltron and the first of his species to appear in swtor.

I'd be happy if they just gave Mirialans more appearance options (a few more eye colours and facial tattoos) and let us have purple twi'leks (like Paxton Rall). But this is very off the OP's topic.

Also, half-Sith&half-human, which Naga Sadow was, looks interesting and again, easier to make and would love to have. Take Sith and make the skin pale to reddish -pale, tone down the Sith features. it'll give players more Needed character creation options that enable much more play value and immersion.

Naga Sadow was what the game calls a Pureblood with heavy DS corruption. Purebloods are already mostly human, genetically speaking. I wouldn't object to more skin colour options, though, for several species.

On topic, I generally agree with the arguments against Voss. I certainly wouldn't unsub if the option was added, but I'd probably never play one.

I have wanted that *#%# voss stronghold forever. I get why originally they said no due to lore, but after it all (wont spoil it) they SHOULD let us make a voss stronghold. Love the runic buildings and autumn sunset aesthetic. The playable race would be ok too but hope they make the stronghold too.

Then your are wrong too.

Seriously, kill the attitude. Lore reasons aside (and there are very valid lore reasons this would be troublesome), there are fundamental technical limitations that make this completely infeasible. No amount of begging will change that

Not sure by the technical side, but lore wise, as with any race, there are always outliers to a civilisation. I would not even be that bothered if the Voss were restricted to certain classes if we must be thematical. Enough time has passed in game that I wouldn’t be surprised that the Emp/Rep's involvement on the planet pre- ilum has at least swayed some Voss, especially given that they were attacked in the last expac by Zakuul.

I also highly disagree that they use different character models, I see plenty for BT 1 & 2s for both genders, just not 3 and 4.

I also highly disagree that they use different character models, I see plenty for BT 1 & 2s for both genders, just not 3 and 4.

They're BT1&2 in weight only, when you stand next to a Voss in a cutscene, you can clearly see that they're as tall as a BT3.

So having them as a playable species would require to either make them regular PC's sizes even if they look weird compared to other Voss, make them have a unique build wich would require to rework every single aromor sets to be able to fit that new unique build or completely rework the PC's BT to separate height and weigh, which would also require to rework all the armors.

The first option would be the least expensive, but then, you'd have players complaining that their Voss PC is too different to the Voss NPCs

Could work if there is a new class with a new story. Or some kind of thing , where it would make sense a voss player to chose their stuff(class, faction, etc..), similar to the pandaren in WoW. The story would have to start after Illum or even after kotfe and kotet or something like that.

The old class stories start when Voss(the planet) is not that well known. Not to mention the race having circumstances and the conditions to start playing one of the already established class stories.

Yes they allowed some things like pureblood inquisitors, but voss is too much against the lore.

Edited by Kaedusz

I have wanted that *#%# voss stronghold forever. I get why originally they said no due to lore, but after it all (wont spoil it) they SHOULD let us make a voss stronghold. Love the runic buildings and autumn sunset aesthetic. The playable race would be ok too but hope they make the stronghold too.

+1 for a Voss stronghold, however I hope it's around the size of the Nar Shaddaa stronghold with one arrival point so the unfixed/unacknowledged arrival bug doesn't matter. This is because that bug (the one where it doesn't matter where you set your character's arrival point, it just defaults elsewhere) has made my Rishi & Alderaan strongholds useless as "homes" for my characters & Rishi was my second favourite before the bug. I had some of my characters set to arrive in the Rishi Ship but that's no longer possible.

There was also hint of a Dantooine stronghold which would also be great if it's the smaller size.

Edited by Sarova

What about the Sarkhai as new species ?

Lore-wise would be problematic as well. Nadia Grell is said to be the first Force Sensitive member of her species, or at least, the one to be trained in the ways of the Force. If you'd play one of the Force User classes as a Sarkhai, that would be in direct contradiction with the lore established around this species in the Jedi Consular story.

A

nd of course if they introduce Voss as a playable race, then they have to also introduce Gormak as a playable race, since the story reveals that Voss and Gormak were originally one.

Ha! checkmated us :D I forgot about that. Plus

the Gormak seem to be a single sex species so there's that

Ha! checkmated us :D I forgot about that. Plus

the Gormak seem to be a single sex species so there's that

Actually, doing the Voss bonys series the other day, I realised there actually are female Gormack. The head is a slightly different shape, and when you see a male and female together the difference is fairly obvious.

Actually, doing the Voss bonys series the other day, I realised there actually are female Gormack. The head is a slightly different shape, and when you see a male and female together the difference is fairly obvious.

Indeed. I haven't touched the Voss bonus series for a very long time and tried it again because of the conquest change. I totally forgot how long and involved the Voss ones are and that it takes at least double or even triple the time compared to the others to finish them. I am quite relieved that BioWare must have realized that as well when they did the conquest change, because you only need to finish the first stage of the Voss bonus series quest chain to complete the conquest objective.

Need to focus on near-human species that are pretty easy to make.

Zeltron: take Human and just enable pink to reddish skin choices & called it Zeltron - done.

Keshiri: same thing but with purple - done.

...... so far, these are the 2 most asked for near-human species I've seen. Would love to redo my mains in both pink and the other purple species. Really want a Zeltron most of all.

:::cough:::Echani:::cough:::

:::cough:::Echani:::cough:::

that's a nasty cough, if you have a fever too, please step away from the forums :p

Echani would be cool, I've seen a couple of guilds, RP'ing as them, as well as plaayers.

Edited by DarkTergon