The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Rename Game To GearTor

Tofo

Seems like all I do is grind for better gear. With what I have read next there is yet another gear system so we can start to grind for yes wait for it GEAR again.

Try EQ2: Near end-game all you do is grind gear so you can enter a specific area so you can .... grind gear

Seems like all I do is grind for better gear. With what I have read next there is yet another gear system so we can start to grind for yes wait for it GEAR again.

Wow, that was really funny! That was... no, wait. No it wasn't.

It's an MMO. That's what they all are - GEAR GRINDS. What else would you expect?

with all possible respect, this game is FAR better in that regard then almost any other MMO.

Most others are RNG based garbage, at least here you have a backup mechanism in components so that if you dont get the drops you still get the gear without waiting to be blessed by RNGesus.

If it wasn't so overly complicated and it was easier to gear your alts while doing things on your main the gearing system would be fun and not such a chore.

They have made it so complicated and tedious when a player wants to gear multiple toons or more. It's simply not a fun process and while gearing should be challenging, it shouldn't feel like a second job.

In the current system, I found it easier and faster to gear up my many toons.

Two key elements here are: Legacy gear and mirror class characters.

It went much faster to farm for a piece of gear on one character. Then pull the mods from this item and put it into a Legacy gear. Mirror class now has 1 BiS piece and can farm for the next piece ... in the same week. Rinse and repeat, especially if you have multiple mirrors.

What I found was: the more characters I have, the FASTER gearing went. I have 45 characters on SF, with about 8 or 9 that never get played because I don't care for the classes, even though I got them up to 70.

In the current system, I found it easier and faster to gear up my many toons.

Two key elements here are: Legacy gear and mirror class characters.

It went much faster to farm for a piece of gear on one character. Then pull the mods from this item and put it into a Legacy gear. Mirror class now has 1 BiS piece and can farm for the next piece ... in the same week. Rinse and repeat, especially if you have multiple mirrors.

What I found was: the more characters I have, the FASTER gearing went. I have 45 characters on SF, with about 8 or 9 that never get played because I don't care for the classes, even though I got them up to 70.

Right. If you got a giant stable of alts, tons of alts and play every sub-class, then using mirrors will help gear faster. My issue with this is not everyone likes to play every sub-class, and not everyone has the time to invest in a giant stable of alts.

Used to be any alt could be played and gain WZ comms which then could be transferred to gear any other alt equally. They gutted that, and stuck in RNG crates and made the gearing process very clunky and grindy because they had no content to create.

I just miss the flexibility and ease of gearing 3.0 offered, it was fun, engaging, and made it so PVPers could easily gear and play as many alts as they wanted with zero gear gaps in the WZs because it was so easy to get the toons geared.

As for people saying "this is a MMO it's supposed to be a gear grind" well that's true to some extent, but how they make the gear grind plays a big part in if it's a good gearing system or not.

I think most players agree that the RNG based gearing systems are not enjoyable, and the present gearing system even after many alterations to make it better still sucks. For those who enjoy the grind, that's cool too. It's a preference thing based on people's personal playstyles.

Wow, that was really funny! That was... no, wait. No it wasn't.

It's an MMO. That's what they all are - GEAR GRINDS. What else would you expect?

Yea you grind gear for actual content what content did we get GOTM so that means only raiders would grind not everyone else do you even play mmos?

Inst that what you all wanted this game to be?

A WoW clone? Doing nothing but running the same dungeons over and over and over again...

Isnt that your idea of content? Endless, hyper repetitive dungeons you can grind forever... Over and over and over again. Until your brain leak out of your ears?

I just miss the flexibility and ease of gearing 3.0 offered, it was fun, engaging, and made it so PVPers could easily gear and play as many alts as they wanted with zero gear gaps in the WZs because it was so easy to get the toons geared.

3.0 was pretty good in terms of gearing. I can't state enough at how much better than GC gearing that the system was, at least they tried to fix GC, but it still doesn't work well for the amount of time it takes (only double cxp events feel like real progression).

Hopefully they'll get it right in 6.0, preferably somewhere closer to 3.0 in terms of progression speed.

Inst that what you all wanted this game to be?

A WoW clone? Doing nothing but running the same dungeons over and over and over again...

Isnt that your idea of content? Endless, hyper repetitive dungeons you can grind forever... Over and over and over again. Until your brain leak out of your ears?

That's sort of where my mind goes--there are constant complaints that SWTOR is too much a clone of something else or because this is an MMO it simply must follow the formula of other MMOs because MMO. If the devs deviate, they're blamed because it doesn't follow closely enough to other MMOs. If they copy other grindy BS MMOs they're blamed for putting too much grind into the system. It's a constant catch-22 with gear, yet they don't have the guts (or they are too scared of the "this must be like all other MMOs" crowd) to move away from the gear-as-content grind. Too many people react positively to it, unfortunately.

"I love vanilla ice cream at this shop, but I'm getting bored with it" *tries another flavor* "This sucks, it's not enough like vanilla. This shop isn't creative enough, I'll go to another shop that has vanilla"

The game is changing and they are bringing in a bunch of ways to get the gear you want. Five different ways if i am not mistaken. But now you have four bonus options to you bonus gear set. Bonus now on the skin and not the armoring as it has its own bonus and the mod and enhancement as well, but wait you can change that to get a better one just spend a few in game credits. The bait and hook Get boosts to lock in the percentage you want, pay.

They know what they are doing. Why you do it and they make it so much easier. Then again i am a minnow not a whale...

But now you have four bonus options to you bonus gear set. Bonus now on the skin and not the armoring as it has its own bonus and the mod and enhancement as well, but wait you can change that to get a better one just spend a few in game credits.

I hope that one day I'll see a set bonus for a boost in gathered materials etc (instead of combat option orientated gear sets.)

does someone have a gun to your head and is making you grind gear? if you dont want to do it dont do it, personally im fine with my green 232 mods

Current gearing system is one of the easiest and quickest in all MMOs out there.

However devs are seriously planning to replace it with some grindfest nonsense. Since October 22, you'll see how bad grind for gear can actually be.

So smarty pants, if you don't want more gear, what DO you want? What is gonna keep us subbed and playing?

Maybe fun and engaging content? There's millions of other activities in a game that keep people subbed and playing other than gearing.

This argument that people should just shut up and enjoy the present gear grind is blown out the water by the fact BW has acknowledged wanting to make significant changes so people can "play their way."

Now, we have heard this before, and just because they indicate that sentiment doesn't mean it will happen. That's another argument, I mean discussion though.

Gearing can be challenging and still keep people engaged and subbed. The present gearing system is still clunky AF and hopefully BW makes it smoother and more fun in the future.

So smarty pants, if you don't want more gear, what DO you want? What is gonna keep us subbed and playing?

This is exactly why they do it. Cheap and easy "content". Gear grinds are't really content though. No new flashpoints or raids or pvp maps needed., No new story direction needed. No imagination required. Just "here's a new gear treadmill for you to keep playing the same years old content on; now keep paying that sub". Only difference is this time around an expansion is coming with it with five more levels to make the old gear you just finished grinding out obsolete. Now keep paying that sub.

Maybe if they hadn't pushed out gear grinds without new content attached for the last couple of updates people wouldn't be fatigued of another one this time. They've gone to the well too many times.