The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Dyes in collections

Let's face it, 1000 cc for a black/black dye? That's far too expensive. Have it be the initial price but then you can grab them out of collections once you've used it once. Alternatively, make it possible to extract them from dye slots.

They'd loose too much in cc's/cash. :(

They'd loose too much in cc's/cash. :(

Not so sure.

I like most of the newest CM dyes, but i'll never buy then with CC as long as there is no collection unlock or the possibility to reuse them.

I'd buy them with CC if i could unlock them in collections though.

• Like 1

Not so sure.

I like most of the newest CM dyes, but i'll never buy then with CC as long as there is no collection unlock or the possibility to reuse them.

I'd buy them with CC if i could unlock them in collections though.

That's where I stand. I won't spend cc's on a consumable, but I would buy an unlock in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

I'll admit that I use mostly Black/Deep Red because I can craft those myself (Oricon Reputation vendor sells the schematic), but...

I'm guessing that they've done a basic analysis, and they think that the current system sells enough dyes (including enough repeats of the same dye) that replacing it with one that sells one of each dye per account (and one of each unlock) would net them less money overall.

I'm not saying, "No, never touching another CM dye if they make the change," of course, just that I don't think that they think it's worth it *for*their*revenue*stream*.

• 1 year later...

s long as people are buying dyes to sell on the GTN, they'll never make them unlockable.

Personally I'd like to see them unlocked, but as we've seen, they are only really interested in ideas that make them the most money. Being a buisness it's understandable.

for the exception from the races (Which some are legacy bound and others are already account bound), everything in the CC should be unlockable in the collections!

A great idea, but it'll never happen. People rag on about the space barbies, but they put a lot of cc's in to getting the perfect outfit, color, look, etc. Even when not spending CC's, they are spending stuff, others bought with CC's. Sometimes I walk around fleet and I'm in awe at how fantastic some of the outfits are. I wish I could be as creative as some of these people, but most of my best outfits came from other people. And that's just one part of the CC Dollar signs that you see in BW's eyes...lol

Dyes in collections could still earn them money. The first time to buy the dye, then again to unlock it, and they could set up a system that requires a small fee in CC in order to apply or change out dyes. Like when you change your hair color on the appearance change kiosk thingy. And while that may end up actually costing more than buying the dye once (depending on how often one would change their color theme), it's still a system I'd prefer.

• 2 weeks later...
Dyes in collections could still earn them money. The first time to buy the dye, then again to unlock it, and they could set up a system that requires a small fee in CC in order to apply or change out dyes. Like when you change your hair color on the appearance change kiosk thingy. And while that may end up actually costing more than buying the dye once (depending on how often one would change their color theme), it's still a system I'd prefer.

I do like the sound of it, but the realist in me knows BW/EA would never do that, Dyes are a big cash cow, they make more with the system at the moment, they'd only change it, if they ever found one that would make them more money.

Dyes in collections - been asked for since collections started and not going to happen no matter how many times it is asked for.

The CM dyes are often the most sought after and therefore most expensive if sourced from the CM. People stockpile them during sales and bide their time to sell once the market price goes back up a bit after they are no longer on sale.

BW/EA makes money from them. Players make heaps of credits from selling them on the CM.

That's not going to change

• 3 weeks later...

I'm kinda with the early replies on this matter....

I try to avoid buying cc's on principle and on how bioware acts...as well as early on I bought cc's, never got them. Despite steam having a record of the purchase being the final one on that day, bioware just didn't have it on their ledger.

Sent screenshots to customer service half a dozen times, was ignored for a few days. Then I would get the same preprogrammed response telling me to send screenshots. Eventually I gave up when the final email said there was something wrong with the screenshots even though i painstakingly made 100% they fit the requirements. Should be simple, but bioware seems to hire based on incompetence and willingness to be slimey...so instead I leave bad reviews for all bioware products, games, services, etc...I also have zero qualms about screwing then in any way. If i didnt have time invested in swtor as well as a decent guild I'd have moved to GW2 full time. Should be simple...two of the screenshots should be enough. One shows final purchase of the day on steam being the missing cc's. The second shows the final purchase of the day being the previous one from steam, both include next day purchase to show one wasnt taken earlier...

So forgive the verbose complaint, but because of that experience I generally avoid ccs and I have never purchased a specific item, especially not legendary ripoff dyes. Id consider if it wasnt a one time thing but even 600 is laughable. What they charge for black/black is insulting.

Ill just continue to rip on the company on every platform i begin using :)

Based on that experience

I/snip

When dealing with CS, was it through the ticket system, or did you message them directly. The ticket system is (from what I've seen/experienced) is their first level support. And as with most, especially when outsourced, isn't the best.

If you haven't already, and aren't burned out, I'd message support@swtor.com, explain the situation, send the screen shots, and ask to have it escalated to a manager/supervisor. Make sure you are polite and concise, do not give them a reason to ignore you. Hopefully a manager can then sort it out, and get your CC's back.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

What Bioware is missing here is that Quantity of players using the dye system would increase 100 Fold, if they would add them to collections.

It amazes me that When companies do things like this they miss the fact that most of their playerbase doesn;t use the system because of it's expense, and with their lock on F2P Credits, no F2p player will be able to purchase them off the exchange. And F2p PLayers make up about 60% of the population.

Some will buy them directly from the cartel market, But they will never purchase the most expensive dyes.

The problem with this is that it means almost 60% of the player base is not financially giving them money (For this specific system). Thats literally 100s of 1000s of players, which Bioware is missing out on for part of their income stream. And the reason is because the price of a one use dye is prohibitively expensive for the current economy of most countries, including the US for the vast majority of players.

Meaning most players both f2p and Subscriber, do not use the cartel dyes unless purchased off the Exchange. Ergo... The only people buying dyes off the Cartel Market are whales which only makes up about 5% of the playerbase. Except the rare occasional purchase for a color someone just has to have (when it goes on sale).

FInancially this is a horrible business decision as it means income and revenue from this system as it is is cut by about 70% to 80% of what it would be, if the Dyes were able to be added to collection's like Crystals etc.

Most people would be fine with paying the current prices once, and then an account unlock fee. Increasing dye purchase across the board by more than 50% and when coupled with unlocks, more dyes will be sold as players will then not just be motivated to compromise and by a color that works (Or the one they really want), but they will want to collect and eventually own every single color over time as well as their unlocks.

Thus if bioware would add them to collections for reuse like crystals, tunings etc (But still let them remain one use and not removable from the armor, so you just have to get another from the collections, thus making it a requirement to unlock them for your account). Their revenue from this system would increase 100 Fold.

Bioware unfortunately however, never did understand player psychology, or economic psychology for that matter. So while I personally would like to see this system and would in fact buy dyes at that point (Enmass though I buy a few here and there as I am a whale myself), My expenditures on dyes would probably triple, and so would everyone else's,

However, I seriously doubt Bioware is that forward thinking. Their intelligence track record for making good business decisions is.... Sadly pathetic which is why their company has so many financial issues.

Bioware is a great storyteller company, But they are absolute **** when it comes to making profitable economic or quality of life game decisions. (And doing it the way I have suggested above would be both far more profitable, and give players a much better quality of life concerning the Dye system). It's literally a win win for both players and Bioware.

Edited by Darth-Malkaevian