Gear Acquisition Feedback - Spoils of War

EricMusco

A somewhat different kettle of fish.

So the level of the gear that drops is going to be based on the level of the gear I am currently wearing. I am wondering how much this will be a problem for casual PvErs. Point being: nowadays, me and the people I play with tend to do PvE content while not focusing very much on having all gear top-notch as long as it is not absolutely necessary to have up-to-date gear, and we simply wait for the better gear to drop from somewhere randomly. Say, we may prioritise wearing sub-par gloves for the time being and waiting for better ones to drop randomly at some point, to wasting time by going somewhere to acquire better ones. Does this mean, however, that now the game will "punish" us by giving us worse gear, because we are wearing worse gear? Is it going to take forever to gear up in this way (in fact slower than it used to be)?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So like what you are saying is that its best to go full 258 into this expansion so that you have the highest chance to get highest possible gear from the start?

I hope not. I actually have zero interest in doing Ossus. Hell, I might even just not bother leveling up a new toon until 6.0, to start fresh there. That's how much I resent this Ossus stuff. Which probably isn't fair, but, w/e.

Unless, they enable you to get into 258s in a fun and engaging way other than doing repeat Ossus grinds with an army of alts. This method to gear doesn't appeal to me at all.

I like meaningful and fun development of my toons individually and hate viewing gearing as some sort of imperative task where I must enlist all of my alts into funneling gears to a single toon one at a time to gear them up as quickly as possible. How is using a conveyor belt of alts to gear up individual toons fun to anyone? :(

As you said, No more trash grind as Ossus tier 5.

Think about casual player who might be the base of your customer. To be full end game geared in 6.0 should 2 month max per character !

I think most of the changes look promising, I'm looking forward to getting gear from enemies again and the layers of RNG protection look good (And I'm including the Charles points/deconstruction system here as they provide another layer of protection which is excellent). Overall I'm actually excited about the gear progression in 6.0.

I like the crafting idea, as long as the mats are not gated behind Operations and Ranked pvp.

Doing so limits the whole “play the way you want to”.

It would mean only the top end players or people who like that stuff can craft.

Edit : changed behind gated to not behind gated

I've posted in here

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9733018&posted=1#post9733018

To much to repeat again. so have a peak :D

To make this short for that that don't bother going.

The problem as I see it ain't really the MM, NiM, Ops, it's the lack of symbiosis therein.

Do like the old SW game once did, make crafter make the BEST there is to have in the game, BUT, at the same time have us that do craft NEED something from NiM or MM is need be, or more places since that will limit the market again and those that do those could get item craft item and we are back at GO again.

The symbiosis in the old SW did work for all those years, WE need you, you NEED us, WE make the best, you might loot ALMOST the best, but NEVER as good as CRAFTED items, it's a win win for all.

BUT, DO NOT gate it in such a way that the few gets is and the "masses" can't.

As for the rest, go watch the other I've said

I'll pitch in a bit here.

Yes I will refer to the "old" one.

Why not make it like this.

You can loot ONE time use schematics from the "world" or some would need to kill said Boss or other NPC.

Same goes for a item that the schematic needs to make that item, again, you need to kill said boss or NPC.

No I am NOT talking about ANY Op's or MM ones this time. That's GATING it..........

I remember one weapon, you needed to loot the schematic, it was ONE time use only.

Then you needed to go to said planet, enter a NON gated cave, fight all the way down to the "boss" kill her and she would drop an item needed for that schematic to work, and in the end, both were used up and you could make ONE of those, in the end IF you did it right it became one of the best weapons in the game, and yes it was WAY more complex to craft back then then this is, this to me is TO simple but that's another thing.

Here you have the option to make it so, all can get it or perhaps not all but it's an option and it will not flood the market, you get few of said weapons, thus "rare" and at the same time the need to relay on each other somewhat.

I must admit, the other SW game made this alot simpler lol, then you were either crafter or combat, not like here both.

Not all has to be behind a Ops wall, why?. To make someone feel better then the next one, for what ever reason ?.

What ever you use or wear, in the end it should be the SKILL of the person that matters NOT the gear.

As you self said about PVP, with the new bolster, it's down to SKILL not gear.

Make this the same, DO not limit crafting for that reason since even IF I would have the best gear there is, I know I will lost to alot of others simply becouse they are better then me, and that should be reason enough.

Thank you

First thank you for giving us this:

"Gear drops from enemies"

Second, can we get info on how many new tiers of gear are there and what numbers are they (270, 280, ) , also will there be new augments or not ?

If you are transferring those CXP boost per 300 character (25%, 50%, 75% 100%) to new Galactic Renown, will they be obtainable after 6.0, I understand that achievements want, but will % boost be?

Also, will all current CXP consumable boost like those 100% from vendor or Cartel Market /GTN, will they still work after 6.0 ?

Thank You on new gearing system changes, so far looks promising.

I'll pitch in a bit here.

Yes I will refer to the "old" one.

Why not make it like this.

You can loot ONE time use schematics from the "world" or some would need to kill said Boss or other NPC.

Same goes for a item that the schematic needs to make that item, again, you need to kill said boss or NPC.

No I am NOT talking about ANY Op's or MM ones this time. That's GATING it..........

I remember one weapon, you needed to loot the schematic, it was ONE time use only.

Then you needed to go to said planet, enter a NON gated cave, fight all the way down to the "boss" kill her and she would drop an item needed for that schematic to work, and in the end, both were used up and you could make ONE of those, in the end IF you did it right it became one of the best weapons in the game, and yes it was WAY more complex to craft back then then this is, this to me is TO simple but that's another thing.

Here you have the option to make it so, all can get it or perhaps not all but it's an option and it will not flood the market, you get few of said weapons, thus "rare" and at the same time the need to relay on each other somewhat.

I must admit, the other SW game made this alot simpler lol, then you were either crafter or combat, not like here both.

Not all has to be behind a Ops wall, why?. To make someone feel better then the next one, for what ever reason ?.

What ever you use or wear, in the end it should be the SKILL of the person that matters NOT the gear.

As you self said about PVP, with the new bolster, it's down to SKILL not gear.

Make this the same, DO not limit crafting for that reason since even IF I would have the best gear there is, I know I will lost to alot of others simply becouse they are better then me, and that should be reason enough.

Thank you

The thing you fail to mention is that even though that cave was open. It was heavily camped and that NPC was on a timer of 24 hours(it may have been 12 don't exactly remember). And who whoever damaged her more, won loot rights. The same with the "other" NPC boss that was heavily camped in another cave. If you weren't in the guild that held the monopoly on the boss spawn, you were either stuck out of luck or had to pay the ridiculous price for it. Either way, it was gated content.

So that idea you want is actually the same, if not worse than having it in NiM Ops because it is still gated content.

The thing you fail to mention is that even though that cave was open. It was heavily camped and that NPC was on a timer of 24 hours(it may have been 12 don't exactly remember). And who whoever damaged her more, won loot rights. The same with the "other" NPC boss that was heavily camped in another cave. If you weren't in the guild that held the monopoly on the boss spawn, you were either stuck out of luck or had to pay the ridiculous price for it. Either way, it was gated content.

So that idea you want is actually the same, if not worse than having it in NiM Ops because it is still gated content.

First off, Glad someone did remember :D

While that is true what you just said, it don't need to be the same here, just the point of how to do it.

Fight down a cave or two while that might be a problem for many I do belive that's a tad simpler then get into a NiM ops group, the point I tried to make it you can do that one solo, NiM you can't.

As we both know that Cave..... Ooooo that Cave..... brings back memories :D

It was just an idea to do something different then gate all the "best" behind NiM or MM options.

First off, Glad someone did remember :D

While that is true what you just said, it don't need to be the same here, just the point of how to do it.

Fight down a cave or two while that might be a problem for many I do belive that's a tad simpler then get into a NiM ops group, the point I tried to make it you can do that one solo, NiM you can't.

As we both know that Cave..... Ooooo that Cave..... brings back memories :D

It was just an idea to do something different then gate all the "best" behind NiM or MM options.

Lol. Yeah. I remember it all too well. I was always gated from killing "her" and getting the badge because of the guilds that had her on lock. Same with a particular acklay in a certain cave populated by geonosians. I agree that I would like something different than everything being put behind the NiM Ops wall. But I don't want people to suffer the same frustrations myself and others had in the old game because we weren't lucky enough to be in a particular guild.

This has been mentioned by others for a while now, but with the added ability to move more gear through legacy, will there be a chance you guys will add another Legacy Bay Inventory Tab? A lot of people are running out/have run out of space and this will only compound that problem.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/432199850

at 1:02:19 this was discussed and they are giving us a new legacy storage for our crafting mats which should help free up some of the other legacy tabs.

One question that occurred to me only after the stream... it's kind of implied but wasn't explicitly stated: If all loot drops scale based on the gear I'm wearing, does that mean that all loot going forward will be personal to your character, even in group content like operations? (At the moment it's a mix of personal loot and shared loot that everyone gets to roll for.) If so, will you still be able to trade with group members? (E.g. if I get a set piece I don't need/want but one of my guildies could really use it.)

One question that occurred to me only after the stream... it's kind of implied but wasn't explicitly stated: If all loot drops scale based on the gear I'm wearing, does that mean that all loot going forward will be personal to your character, even in group content like operations? (At the moment it's a mix of personal loot and shared loot that everyone gets to roll for.) If so, will you still be able to trade with group members? (E.g. if I get a set piece I don't need/want but one of my guildies could really use it.)

That's a very good question. Seconded.

Mats going the way of legacy currency and freeing up legacy storage space sounds awesome but I'm worried the scope of horizontal progression will still overwhelm the capacity or at best make legacy inventory management a nightmare that storage space in itself will just mitigate...

I'm picturing the horror show of trying to find a specific set bonus out of a tab full of chest pieces for XY classes and disciplines.

Those Odessan boxes that dropped legacy shells, I dedicated one whole toon to store and try to fill out all sets and the level of organization it took got crazy. Half of each bank tab dedicated to a specific gear piece and all of them stored in the same pattern so I was able to see what's where... i.e. the top right most corner of every gear type section is that particular trooper set or is blank if I don't yet have it... It took all but one bank tab of space to store all the sets in those crates and I really doubt the new system will have less.

It'd be super nice if legacy storage got dedicated tabs for specific classes to just help manage the metric tonne of stuff we'll be getting bombarded with... or in my wildest dream... get stored like cartel market items do in some sort of collection database you can use to track what you have and don't yet have and pull out a copy of stuff you've acquired... not mods obviously but shells and tactics and the likes that's supposed to be transferable. Thu I guess augments ruin that dream...

Or maybe a variation of the option we already have on vendors with the filter options to show you stuff only of a particular discipline you choose, or something like that.

Basically I really really hope that UI and item management wise more is being considered than effectively just freeing up some space in what already exists and no more.

Edited by aeterno

Musco (or anyone else on the team that can answer),

How will this new gearing system affect gear items that are needed to kill a boss, that drop from other specific bosses. A specific example would be the Dread Guard's Corrupted Mask that drops from Dreadtooth and is required for Dreadful Entity.

Today we can transfer a set bonus to this mask. With the new system that would be impossible and the boss would be harder, or maybe even impossible, to kill.

• Will the effect of the mask be turned into an amplifier or a tactical item?
  • Would any existing mask then be converted into both a mask for appearance only and an effect item?

I've posted in here

The problem as I see it ain't really the MM, NiM, Ops, it's the lack of symbiosis therein.

Do like the old SW game once did, make crafter make the BEST there is to have in the game, BUT, at the same time have us that do craft NEED something from NiM or MM is need be, or more places since that will limit the market again and those that do those could get item craft item and we are back at GO again.

The symbiosis in the old SW did work for all those years, WE need you, you NEED us, WE make the best, you might loot ALMOST the best, but NEVER as good as CRAFTED items, it's a win win for all.

I suppose you could have the elite NiM player acquire a boe exotic mat and sell it on the gtn. I fail to see how that's different from dropping the top tier schem in NiM op, but w/e. the issue there is bop vs. boe not what drops.

honestly, I really miss the vanilla days of REing the same thing for 5 different schems to get one with just the right stat priorities. some of the combinations were so silly as to be insulting, but the basic idea was good. it made crafting and REing fun.

as I've expressed ad nauseum, the relegation of crafting to augments and the ocassional top tier schem from an op is horribly unfun. and with the CM and all the legacy gear and command stash crap, you can't even craft gear to sell for appearances, because it's all available elsewhere or reskinable with whatever dye.

I suppose you could have the elite NiM player acquire a boe exotic mat and sell it on the gtn. I fail to see how that's different from dropping the top tier schem in NiM op, but w/e. the issue there is bop vs. boe not what drops.

honestly, I really miss the vanilla days of REing the same thing for 5 different schems to get one with just the right stat priorities. some of the combinations were so silly as to be insulting, but the basic idea was good. it made crafting and REing fun.

as I've expressed ad nauseum, the relegation of crafting to augments and the ocassional top tier schem from an op is horribly unfun. and with the CM and all the legacy gear and command stash crap, you can't even craft gear to sell for appearances, because it's all available elsewhere or reskinable with whatever dye.

Honestly having the NiM raiders getting the mats and selling on the GTN would just lead to the same stuff we have now. The mats needed for the 258 MH/OH are way to expensive (yes I've bought some anyway). If your looking for something for crafting, keep schem/mats out of NiM Ops/Ranked PvP and find a different way to get them into the game that more people will have access to without paying a fortune for on the GTN. (perhaps from conquest like is done with the CMT's now).

Lol. Yeah. I remember it all too well. I was always gated from killing "her" and getting the badge because of the guilds that had her on lock. Same with a particular acklay in a certain cave populated by geonosians. I agree that I would like something different than everything being put behind the NiM Ops wall. But I don't want people to suffer the same frustrations myself and others had in the old game because we weren't lucky enough to be in a particular guild.

Oooo yes, that little ol Acklay :D

Yeah, IF they would do as in the ol good game then yes that would not solve the issue.

But the Idea behind it I think is a good one, we need something new and something that more can do, they can always have more then 1 of each to kill on different planets too.

To gate things behind forced group combat to me ain't a solution, I've done my share of Ops but that's not my cup of tea.

I'm the old game I was first and foremost a crafter altho I did the Village like so many others did, Gosh, so many memories the grind, the running, the death from bountyhunters.......

Back to topic..... lol........

We need more ways to gain the top tier gear in this game, and I still see no reason why crafters can't make the best or at the least as good as you can loot in NiM, since that's all about options, I've never done NiM's for the gear alone, I did it for the challenge gear to me is a side reward.

Still, The cave idea I think is a good one, with one time use schems and items around that, gives up the options to buy, or combat,

Stream was good, ty for all the info.

My concerns r twofold regarding gearing.

1: Lots and lots of set bonuses. U said there is a set bonus per base class, then another per advanced class per spec. That is an insane amount of set bonuses to have PER advanced class! Then amplifiers per shell and any type of modification just create a mayhem of gearing. Just too much, tone it down.

It would be truly wonderful if the shell recognised the class and spec that is wearing it (for dps, heals and tanks seperately), so that the set bonus changed accordingly. Of course in order to get that we would need to acquire the set bonus in question for the piece and sort of merge the pieces with different set bonuses together to accomplish this.

I fear inventory bloat is going to be a serious nightmare if one wants to have all sets for all specs/classes, which is encouraged with the amount of gear that is going to be available. This style of gearing definitely encourages focusing on one class, or spec even due to the serious hassle in managing all the gear.

2: Getting better gear. So u always get gear around ur item rating, that is good keeps drops mostly useful with always potential upgrades. However, depending on the rate at which we can get an upgrade, gearing up for certain content (HM/NIM raids mainly) seemingly could take a long long time. Per character, per set. And this is just gearing up, not even talking about getting BiS.

I do not remember hearing numbers as to what kind of gear comes from harder content. Yes better, but how much better? Clarity as to how much better rating gear drops in open world, fps, ops, pvp would be nice.

3: Question. So am i to understand that all the loot we get is going to be by default bound to legacy (talking about armour shells and MH/OH mainly) so that we do not need to rip out the mods and slap it into a legacy item?

Loving the new stuff on gear and gear drops, but I'd also hate to see the best drops limited to Ops. Not all of us do the Ops and aren't fans of them. I haven't run one in years. Could we perhaps see similar loot drops from HM FP bosses? I know the level of difficulty isn't anywhere close but those of us that like to play solo and limit our group-based gameplay to FPs, we miss out on the good stuff.

I like the concept of Play What You Want.

For this to work all avenues must be viable.

Harder content (NIM OPs and Ranked PVP) should get you there FASTER only.

The shard (Charles Points) route has to be able to get you 100% of the Harder content route,

and the grind has to be REASONABLE. The deconstruction rate is going to be paramount in this equation.

No more time limited missions please. I don't like the idea of vendors appearing and disappearing.

I don't want to have to worry about spending my ChukBux and then the next weeks a vendor pops up with something better and I wasted my currency.

Crafting mat balance is terrible in 5.0+, and crafting mat balance is going to be paramount to the viability of crafting in 6.0

Refined Isotope stabilizers are used in way too many things and that drives up the cost of Dark Projects way beyond where it should be which makes unlocking Guild Ships take longer and the Commander Compendium prohibitively expensive,. Please rebalance the Dark Project crafting mats in 6.0 or give us a better (cheaper) method to craft our way to Guild Ship unlocks and commander's compendiums.

Void Matter Catalysts and the Purple conquest mat are almost useless. A rebalancing of crafting mat requirements could have fixed this.

I'm ok with the augment mats currently, even if they are expensive. But the 258 masterwork crafting mat requirements are utterly ridiculous. If top level gear has the same type of requirements (absurd amount of mats also used for augments and a mat from MM Ops), crafting in 6.0 is going to be dead on arrival.

Endgame crafting was IMO best in 2x-4x when crafting top level hilts and barrels was so viable and the mats were generally balanced.

Edited by matthaxian

I fear inventory bloat is going to be a serious nightmare if one wants to have all sets for all specs/classes, which is encouraged with the amount of gear that is going to be available.

This is why I’ve also asked if they can give us extra cargo hold space during 6.0.

18 specs x 15 legacy pieces = 270 slots for gear. And that is before you start playing around with different builds, amps and tactical’s you will collect.

I known they are giving us a special section for all crafting mats, which is awesome and will free up some space. But we also need more legacy and character cargo space.

My suggestion I’ve put forward for a few months now is to expand the number of slots per cargo tab to be the same size as the guild slots. (And that suggestion was before we even knew about all this new legacy gear we will be getting :eek:)

I think it’s even more important now and from my point of view, an imperative or I’m going to have to delete a whole lot of gear and items I’ve collected over 7-8 years.

Another ask or suggestion is to make things stackable. So any duplicates of any item can be stacked. ie,

* if we have command boosts, let them stack

* if we have the same empty Armor shells or duplicated crafted items, let them stack.

* if we have a bunch of the same dyes, crafted or CM, let them stack

* if we have multiple CM sets that haven’t been opened, let them stack (especially the crates)

** basically, stack any item we have multiple or duplicates of so we don’t waste slots

I’ll happily pay to open up those extra slots. The same way as we pay to open the current extra slots per tab.

I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting more storage in out cargo holds.

:D

Edited by TrixxieTriss

This is why I’ve also asked if they can give us extra cargo hold space during 6.0.

18 specs x 15 legacy pieces = 270 slots for gear. And that is before you start playing around with different builds, amps and tactical’s you will collect.

I known they are giving us a special section for all crafting mats, which is awesome and will free up some space. But we also need more legacy and character cargo space.

My suggestion I’ve put forward for a few months now is to expand the number of slots per cargo tab to be the same size as the guild slots. (And that suggestion was before we even knew about all this new legacy gear we will be getting :eek:)

I think it’s even more important now and from my point of view, an imperative or I’m going to have to delete a whole lot of gear and items I’ve collected over 7-8 years.

Another ask or suggestion is to make things stackable. So any duplicates of any item can be stacked. ie,

* if we have command boosts, let them stack

* if we have the same empty Armor shells or duplicated crafted items, let them stack.

* if we have a bunch of the same dyes, crafted or CM, let them stack

* if we have multiple CM sets that haven’t been opened, let them stack (especially the crates)

** basically, stack any item we have multiple or duplicates of so we don’t waste slots

I’ll happily pay to open up those extra slots. The same way as we pay to open the current extra slots per tab.

I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting more storage in out cargo holds.

:D

Now you're cooking !! Right on ! I LIKE this idea ! Folks would have to be careful and watch when moving or selling stuff... but that comes with the multiple stacked items regardless of what you are storing !

Nicely done !

I've posted in here

HELL NO, I hate Guilds so much, that i got kicked from 1 that i was in on a few of my 40 something toons, because i'm thinking i didnt raid with them, idk. I didn't care to ask. Because i hate having to do things and worship some Stupid people i dont know, and call them leader. They kicked a lot of people out that Guild to, not just me lol.

Hell NO, i don't want to do Nightmare, and that goes AGAINST "Play the Wat You Want". Frikkin' ego's here is stupid.PuG groups ARE the worst, i've done my share of Story and Hard Modes with people i hate.

HELL NO, I hate Guilds so much, that i got kicked from 1 that i was in on a few of my 40 something toons, because i'm thinking i didnt raid with them, idk. I didn't care to ask. Because i hate having to do things and worship some Stupid people i dont know, and call them leader. They kicked a lot of people out that Guild to, not just me lol.

Hell NO, i don't want to do Nightmare, and that goes AGAINST "Play the Wat You Want". Frikkin' ego's here is stupid.PuG groups ARE the worst, i've done my share of Story and Hard Modes with people i hate.

I’m only in a guild because it’s my own family one. Otherwise I’m with you on this

To be able to “play the way you want” as a crafter means that all mats NEED to be available outside of Operations or ranked Pvp.

I’ve even started a thread to ask Eric about gating mats behind content and everyone, including him has ignored it. So I guess other crafters don’t care if the mats are gated :(